Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by McCune
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider firebird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#49 12 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What has happened is that a lot of new money has recently entered the hobby.

There's new money because so many people are sensing pinball is undervalued. It's like pinball is on the beginning of the same curve that so many sports/hobbies have recently undertaken. Analogies between WSOP and car collecting seem fitting. Pinball was forgotten for years, and now it is gaining momentum among hobbyists who pay a premium for NIB machines and well-shopped/mint-condition old ones.

There may be a bubble on this site where a select group of people are pushing each other to value/experience/enjoy a few machines here and there out of a very large pool of possibilities. These prices go up in that demographic.

Here in AK, I think if a Congo showed up on CL, everybody would be like....uhh...who is going to take it? We wouldn't all be fighting each for it with cash unless it was dirt cheap, like 900 bucks.

But honestly, here in AK, we are forced to enjoy machines based on their availability more than anything. And you know what? That makes things interesting. Analogy to guitars: Kurt Cobain bought his Mustangs and Jaguars at the pawn shop because they were cheap. Now they are highly desired by guitar collectors. Necessity for Kurt created demand for collectors. A less cliched analogy would be Jack White's Airline guitar.

Just because something is the item of the moment and prices go up, doesn't mean you have to buy, or not buy that certain machine based on monetary speculation. It has to be about enjoyment, skill development, nostalgia. Something other than getting what the next guy wants before him.

So if the tables were flipped and I could pick up a 1970 Chevelle (Attack From Mars) for the price of a 1977 Malibu (Firepower), would I want to? Would I want to in ten years, when opinions shifted? It all depends on so many things other than the name.

In Alaska, I guess, you are kind of forced to enjoy what you have access to. I looked at SF CL the other night and flipped out over how many perfectly shopped pins were available under $1,000. It kind of drove me nuts to see all those machines. But, the only reason I went bananas over them is that people up here are generally forced to play older, less expensive machines, and do something different. If I hadn't been exposed to this environment, I might be chasing the "Bang for the buck" of dmd's like everybody else.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 219.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Lit Frames

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Colorado Springs, CO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 39.50
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Drums, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Dickinson, TX
$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 32.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider firebird.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recent-congo-flurry?tu=firebird and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.