Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 81 posts
  • 31 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by McCune
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

I noticed Congo starting to really trend here on Pinside. A few have poped up around here for sale one for 1500 the other for 2200. I have never had the chance to play although it looks like a blast on youtube. Being such a low number game how hard is it to get parts? What would a reasonable price be?

#2 10 years ago

I have done a few things to mine since I got it two months ago. I was able to find the mini playfield window which was supposed to be hard to find. It is a fantastic playing pin. I am waiting for one more thing to arrive so I can get playing again. It is also very easy to take apart to clean/shop. If I can do it then anyone can trust me.

#3 10 years ago

We've got a nice one available for $1995. Got marks on the front from a security bar, but is otherwise pretty much as new. Got the idea that no one played it out on the route, much.

#4 10 years ago

If you want accurate pricing go ask on rgp. Pinside has quite a few new pinheads that overpay for machines. People around here may not like rgp for various reasons, but it does have a lot more older collectors with a good pulse on what machines are worth. It also helps to search rgp for previous price checks to see how a machine has been trending for the last decade.

That aside it is still a 1300 dollar game. It is a great player but suffers from two things. One is that the theme is awful and the other is that it tends to be a love or hate affair. It may go up in the future but I would expect to see other titles rise first. The problem with congo is there is not high demand for it even though it had a low production run.

#5 10 years ago

I agree. I payed a LOT more for mine, but at least I can admit I overpayed

However, I think $1,300 should be able to get you a Congo, if it is a nice game that is fairly clean $1,500 is about right. I do agree with $1,300 just off route.

Quoted from dung:

That aside it is still a 1300 dollar game.

#6 10 years ago

I would not sell my Congo for 2500.00 !! Good luck finding one as the game is very good.

Jim

#7 10 years ago

Go ahead and rub it in Jim. I have been looking for one in very nice condition for months now.

#8 10 years ago

I feel the same Jim. I got mine for $1750 and just put $400 into new parts and it shines. Just waiting for the new mini playfield window to arrive so I can get playing again. I absolutely love it. Great game and the theme is not all that bad. The movie stunk but the game really seems to be about apes and diamonds. LMAO..... The theme has NEVER gotten in the way of the fun game it is. I think it is an EXCELLENT pin. I truly believe that.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Go ahead and rub it in Jim. I have been looking for one in very nice condition for months now.

I was not looking for a Congo it just fell in my lap,did not expect to like it. Weird things happen .

Jim

#10 10 years ago

it doesnt matter what the game is worth to you. The game is valued at a certain level for various reasons. Telling others that you think it is worth x amount because you believe it is the best game ever made would be irresponsible (not that you have) since someone may act on that and end up losing their ass.

I feel that rbion is an amazing game. It is much more entertaining then tom, creech, totan, etc etc. Value aside I wouldn't trade my rbion for any of those, but it doesn't mean that my rbion isn't currently worth more then a bit over 2k tops.

It is great that you have a game you love, but at the end of the day the market has long been established. I would much rather have a great game with a crappy theme, then a great theme but crappy game (south park!).

#11 10 years ago

I agree with all of that except the market is established. The market is always changing. As more pinheads join our community games become more or less popular. Just over a year ago WH20 was a less expensive game but not so much anymore. I think certain games will go up in value as they become more sought after. JM, JD, Congo, WH20 and TS are a few of them. They all seem to be getting more love recently. Time will tell I suppose.

#12 10 years ago
Quoted from dung:

it doesnt matter what the game is worth to you

Really ?? So I should just sell me collection for what someone on the internet says ? I THINK NOT !

My point is , I would have to spend more than 2500.00 to have as much fun as Congo! Got it ?

Quoted from dung:

It is great that you have a game you love, but at the end of the day the market has long been established.

This statement is complete BS .

Jim

#13 10 years ago

honda, you are entitled to try and sell your pins for whatever you like. And if you wait long enough there is a sucker willing to overpay. How long you wait is anyone's guess, but just because it is worth x amount to you doesn't mean anything unless there are buyers out there that agree.

Value has little to do with rarity except in one case which would be CC since it was b/w's last traditional game.

CP is neat and it is rare, but it falls between 2-3k depending on condition. It has been that way for years.

Godzilla? LIS? Breakshot? 1500 or less any day of the week.

TZ had 15k units made and it is 4k shopped and in good condition.
TAF had 23k made and it is tough finding one under 3k that isn't a project.

It is great you like congo, and feel free to think as highly of it as you want to, but it hasn't magically become worth more just because you own it. It still has a bad theme, isn't especially attractive to look at, and has polarizing game play. It doesn't mean that it isn't a great game, it just doesn't mean it is especially popular which is why even for a williams title it didn't make the top 50 on here.

Quoted from coasterguy:

JM, JD, Congo, WH20 and TS are a few of them. They all seem to be getting more love recently. Time will tell I suppose.

I have yet to see JM, JD, or even TS go up in value. I got in the hobby a few years ago and TS is still about the same. They sell very fast at market value and are highly desirable, but their value has remained steady. WH20 has repo parts available and is so expensive to restore that many opt to buy nice examples which has driven its price up. The fact a nice topper is worth 1k since the decal has yet to be reproduced is part of the reason it is so expensive.

In the long run all the prices are steadily increasing it seems, but for the most part they increase in step. As the more desirable games become to expensive for the entry level collector, the lower end titles rise.

The one thing that would increase congo's value is if more repo parts were made including cabinet decals. With it being such low production and a b - c title I do not see this happening.

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from dung:

honda, you are entitled to try and sell your pins for whatever you like. And if you wait long enough there is a sucker willing to overpay. How long you wait is anyone's guess, but just because it is worth x amount to you doesn't mean anything unless there are buyers out there that agree.

Umm? Not selling anything ?

Are you trying to educate me on the pinball hobby? Thanks but no thanks,Dunghead !

#15 10 years ago

I love it when people get into such heated debates over pin pricing. If a guy wants to sell his game for a certain amount thats his option. If you don't like the price fine don't buy it. I've gotten great deals in the past and also paid over what some people would call "market pricing" for games but that was my choice & nobody held a gun to y head & made me.

#16 10 years ago
Quoted from dung:

It is great that you have a game you love, but at the end of the day the market has long been established. I would much rather have a great game with a crappy theme, then a great theme but crappy game (South Park!).

+1 Well said, The Shadow being one of my top 10 favorites.

#17 10 years ago
Quoted from dung:

If you want accurate pricing go ask on rgp. Pinside has quite a few new pinheads that overpay for machines. People around here may not like rgp for various reasons, but it does have a lot more older collectors with a good pulse on what machines are worth. It also helps to search rgp for previous price checks to see how a machine has been trending for the last decade.

I agree, RGP posters know the real value of pins.

Here's a quote from an old RGP collector who actually owns a price guide from this year:

Attack From Mars 1995 Bally
$4400 Class 1
$2925 Class 2
$1550 Class 3
http://pinballeric.com/

I guess Class 1 must be a HEP or HUO, Class 3 is a beater?

Here is one of my favorites pricers- One of the biggest posters on RGP. Here is his price guide for pins that most people covet. (August of this year)

Quote:

"Shopped, and assuming average players.
AFM 3500
WH20 1500-1700
IJ 2400"

My friend had a chance for Class 3 AFM last week, I told him to pass because 1800 was too much. Thank God RGP saved him from taking a bath. Guy must think he was sitting on something special. Can't wait for him to post it on Ebay so I can laugh at him.

#18 10 years ago

Class 3 is a beater and if you check rgp most say that the class 3's don't exist since in many cases it would have to be a stripped pf to be that cheap. class 1 is what you would expect to pay for an average to above average. I am guessing hep would be getting close or past 10k, huo? depends on condition and the ability to prove huo.

NIB? I can tell you they aren't worth 20k though since it comes up on ebay every once in awhile and still hasnt sold.

#19 10 years ago

Oh and HONDA350R, not going to argue with you on here, but perhaps you could say something with a little more substance then resorting to name calling.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from dung:

NIB? I can tell you they aren't worth 20k though since it comes up on ebay every once in awhile and still hasnt sold.

The STTNG hasn't sold, but his other 6-7 titles did sell for outrageous prices. STTNG is the only one he still has left. He sold his TOTAN, MM, and CV (which originally was a $2000 close-out), for outrageous prices.

My point was RGP has many people that quote cheap prices because that is what they would BUY them for, if they actually owned them, you and I know they would NOT SELL them for that price unless it was to a close friend.

BTW: Pinballalleric website doesn't define HIS class 1, 2, 3 the same as you do.

Class 1 = Best, Class 2 = Good, Class 3= OK.

If you would indulge me, please answer this simple question.

If you owned a AFM that was in Okay or Average, would you sell it for 2925-3500?

#21 10 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Oh and HONDA350R, not going to argue with you on here, but perhaps you could say something with a little more substance then resorting to name calling.

You are a troll and need to go away !

Jim

#22 10 years ago

I personally know of three WH20's that sold for under $1,500 in the last 3 months. All games had nice side art with little to no fade, a couple cracked boulders, and cracked ramps at the entrance. All had a little wear outside the lost mine, but little to no insert issues.

The longer you wait, you cheaper you can find games. Most people on pinside seem to want them now, which is fine. But just because you bought the game now instead of waiting for a deal, it doesn't mean the game is worth what you paid.

Also, on the other side of coin, just because you can buy WH20 for $1.5K with a little patience, doesn't mean you can't get $2,200 for it if you sold it.

I paid over $2K for my Congo. Since then I have been offered a very nice one for $1.3K. Is my Congo worth what I paid, no. Is my Congo worth more than $1.3K, yes.

Though, the statement I hate the MOST is "I wouldn't sell mine for $xxxx" What you would sell a game for has nothing to do with anything, it's what someone will buy it for that matters.

Sit on a game long enough, you'll get a good price. Wait long enough for a game, you'll get a good price.

Pinball's aren't going up in price, people are just getting less patient.

Quoted from coasterguy:

Just over a year ago WH20 was a less expensive game but not so much anymore.

#23 10 years ago

I absolutely agree with wanting it now instead of waiting for a deal.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

I personally know of three WH20's that sold for under $1,500 in the last 3 months. All games had nice side art with little to no fade, a couple cracked boulders, and cracked ramps at the entrance. All had a little wear outside the lost mine, but little to no insert issues.
The longer you wait, you cheaper you can find games. Most people on pinside seem to want them now, which is fine. But just because you bought the game now instead of waiting for a deal, it doesn't mean the game is worth what you paid.
Also, on the other side of coin, just because you can buy WH20 for $1.5K with a little patience, doesn't mean you can't get $2,200 for it if you sold it.

I agree.

People don't understand that everything has 2 prices: What you would buy something for, and what you would sell something for. Your WH2O analogy is a perfect analogy.

Patience is the best way to buy a pin.

Another good rule of thumb is a person should ask themselves, "Can I sell this machine at a price relative to what I bought it for?"

The original poster was asking about a Congo. To answer his question directly, a Pinsider has one available offered in this thread. Sounds like a fair price for that condition. (Not counting shipping)

Cadilliac

Quoted from CadillacMusic:

We've got a nice one available for $1995. Got marks on the front from a security bar, but is otherwise pretty much as new. Got the idea that no one played it out on the route, much.

#25 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Though, the statement I hate the MOST is "I wouldn't sell mine for $xxxx"

Really? The MOST ? If the pinside price guide went by what I pay for pins,you guys would really cry.

MY ONLY POINT IS, CONGO IS MORE FUN THAN MOST 2500.00 PINS !

Quoted from jalpert:

That is the MOST ridiculous statement I have ever heard !!! And two snaps ..

I love the internet sometimes.

Jim

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from smassa:

I love it when people get into such heated debates over pin pricing. If a guy wants to sell his game for a certain amount thats his option. If you don't like the price fine don't buy it. I've gotten great deals in the past and also paid over what some people would call "market pricing" for games but that was my choice & nobody held a gun to y head & made me.

Exactly.

I've definitely (knowingly) paid more for a pin than it was worth. I've also made a few great deals. Just depends on your priorities (and patience...or lack thereof).

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

LOL!

If that isn't a contradictory statement, I don't know what is!

#28 10 years ago
Quoted from McCune:

You are a troll and need to go away !

Jim

I back my statements up with reasoning, you just seem to want a confrontation for the sake of it.

Quoted from jimjim66:

The original poster was asking about a Congo. To answer his question directly, a Pinsider has one available offered in this thread. Sounds like a fair price for that condition. (Not counting shipping)

2k for congo is ridiculous. It is far from reasonable. For 2k he should look at an indy 500 or shadow.

If the op were to buy the machine in question would he be able to easily get his money out of it? The answer is no. Not even off fleabay before fees would it hit 2k anywhere near 2k.

If the op wants one and doesn't mind over paying so he doesn't have to wait? Then yeah, which is something many people on here do because they have funds to burn and want things today.

#29 10 years ago

REALLY. the MOST.

Quoted from McCune:

Really? The MOST ?

It's not contradictory at all. If you want it now, you are going to pay more. It doesn't mean it's worth more. Your unwillingness to wait isn't affecting the value of your pinball, just the price you paid. Tons of people overpaying for games on here, they want them now, 100% okay. The problem is when these same people then try and debate the value of their game and it's usually in relation to the stupid high price they paid.

Quoted from RobT:

If that isn't a contradictory statement, I don't know what is!

#30 10 years ago

dung,

I don't know who appointed you Pinside Price Police, but you need to chill. It's one thing to offer an opinion on a game's price, but you have a tendency to argue your point in a very nasty and condescending way. Plus, repeatedly making remarks about how RGPers are superior to Pinsiders isn't going to win you any friends around here. This is the exact type of behavior that got you kicked off Pinside the first time. I was hoping you would have learned from your past mistakes, but unfortunately this doesn't appear to be the case.

#31 10 years ago

Don't think it's fair? Let's have some fun. Hmm. Alright, if anyone buys it before the end of today, they can have it for $1795. But today only. Call me - 216-361-5800.

Now pics!

http://s700.photobucket.com/albums/ww6/rebeccabjohnston/Congo/

#32 10 years ago

Perhaps prices are a bit higher right now b/c of the holidays?

#33 10 years ago

This tread had turned stupid. If it is a pin you want, pay what you want for it. It you want it and don't like the price, don't buy it. To say something is worth X and not X because of this or that is stupid.

#34 10 years ago

I've seen a HSII sell for 1000, and I've seen one sell for 3000, as an example. Condition, location, popularity, dealer, etcetcetc, all play a factor. A pin is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. There is a guideline on price, but no SET point....

#35 10 years ago

Right on tomdotcom

#36 10 years ago

Wow, how did I miss this melee?

#38 10 years ago
Quoted from dung:

If you want accurate pricing go ask on rgp. Pinside has quite a few new pinheads that overpay for machines. People around here may not like rgp for various reasons, but it does have a lot more older collectors with a good pulse on what machines are worth.

I'm afraid it is Dung and those like him that seem to have little clue as to what pins are realistically selling for currently. Like it or not prices have been on the rise for pinball machines. Here on Pinside you get an accurate idea on what it would take to pick one up. Granted each area has different price range and of course condition is key when pricing as well. Fellas like this give a really unrealistic price of which you would likely need to wait 10 years to find one close to you. Congo was a small run and if you think your going to pick one up one in great condition for 1100 to 1300 locally in a well populated area then you are either really drunk or high maybe both. Congo is without a doubt one of my favorites I could care less what some haters think about it.

Quoted from jalpert:

I've been offered Congo locally for $1,300.

Well you must live somewhere where the prices on pins are among the lowest in the country. It's a good thing for you, but it's a mistake not to recognize that pins are usually higher in other areas or that you got a great deal on one. Just because it is cheaper in your area or you got an amazing deal does not mean it is the accurate price to pay for a pin. Areas like Colorado have pins for good prices where a place like CA has very high prices. It is when you take the average of them you get an accurate price range. Taking the crazy high or low and calling it what someone should pay is a bit short sighted IMO.

#39 10 years ago
Quoted from dung:

People around here may not like rgp for various reasons

I don't frequent RGP for many reasons. One of them being crap like this and another is all the Richard Noggins that you have to put up with.

#40 10 years ago

:lol:Richard noggin

#41 10 years ago

I've been offered Congo locally for $1,300. I've been collecting pins for less than 5 years, I don't like to drink and I don't do drugs. There are approximately 2.7 million people in the metropolitan area where I live. I wouldn't say the condition was great, but it was very good. This was less than 3 months ago. It's a shame I jumped the gun and payed WAY more than that. Great game.

Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

if you think your going to pick one up one in great condition for 1100 to 1300 locally in a well populated area then you are either really drunk or high maybe both.

#42 10 years ago

I don't really want to put fuel on the fire, but I have been on the lookout for Congo myself.

Prices where i live (Vancouver, BC) seem to be about 10 - 20% more than most places in the US simply because demand is high and supply is low.

Saying that, I too would have been willing to pay 1500$ for a Congo. Perhaps not 2000$ as there are other pins in that price range I would prefer.

I am jealous of anyone who lives on the east coast of the US. You guys have so many more pins available to you than we do on the west coast. Or maybe this is just a case of the grass is greener. I always find cool pins for sale for reasonable prices on craigslist on the east...

Shipping and borders are what kill deals for me. Just not worth it.

#43 10 years ago

i have a line on a congo for 1,450 shopped. it is on route but the op said he would sell it to me if i want it. im still thinking about it but i will probably pick it up after the new year. fwiw,i think congo is a great game.

#44 10 years ago
Quoted from dung:

2k for congo is ridiculous. It is far from reasonable. For 2k he should look at an indy 500 or Shadow.

Your right, 2k is too high since it is now 1800. Even better price, and now with pictures.

When people do "price checks", they basically have a bead on a machine and want a ball park so they do not feel like they are getting screwed. Can a person be lucky and patient to get a certain pin cheaper? Of course.

Since this is all about opinion. IMO, the most ridiculous and bad advice I have read on the board so far is using RGP as a Price Guide. Every time I see somebody post a pin for sale there, you get 20 posts beating the person down about his price with a post 4 hours later from the original poster saying "thanks for all the interest, the game is sold". Rinse/Repeat

I've noticed something lately. Many of the luminaries, best posters and most helpful of RGP, have been posting on Pinside. (LTG, Cliffy, Chris Hutchins, etc...)

#45 10 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's not contradictory at all. If you want it now, you are going to pay more. It doesn't mean it's worth more. Your unwillingness to wait isn't affecting the value of your pinball, just the price you paid. Tons of people overpaying for games on here, they want them now, 100% okay. The problem is when these same people then try and debate the value of their game and it's usually in relation to the stupid high price they paid.

If "tons" of people are supposedly overpaying as you say, then that is, in fact, affecting the prices.

Do you understand that?

#46 10 years ago
Quoted from dung:

2k for congo is ridiculous. It is far from reasonable. For 2k he should look at an indy 500 or Shadow.

So Jim(Honda), do you like Indy 500 more than Congo? Which one would you sell first?

#47 10 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

If "tons" of people are supposedly overpaying as you say, then that is, in fact, affecting the prices.

Which is why the overall cost of machines has been rising the past few years.

#48 10 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Which is why the overall cost of machines has been rising the past few years.

Absolutely. What has happened is that a lot of new money has recently entered the hobby. This new blood is eager to grow their collection, and doesn't necessarily want to sit around watching craigslist for months until a great deal comes along. People insist on saying that such and such a pin is only a $1,500 game, but the fact of the matter is that if enough people are willing to spend $2,000 on it, it's no longer a $1,500 game. Obviously, this is pissing off some collectors who are used to lower prices, but it's not as if you can force the prices back down by explaining to everyone that they are overpaying. The market is going to go where the market is going to go. It's simple economics.

#49 10 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

What has happened is that a lot of new money has recently entered the hobby.

There's new money because so many people are sensing pinball is undervalued. It's like pinball is on the beginning of the same curve that so many sports/hobbies have recently undertaken. Analogies between WSOP and car collecting seem fitting. Pinball was forgotten for years, and now it is gaining momentum among hobbyists who pay a premium for NIB machines and well-shopped/mint-condition old ones.

There may be a bubble on this site where a select group of people are pushing each other to value/experience/enjoy a few machines here and there out of a very large pool of possibilities. These prices go up in that demographic.

Here in AK, I think if a Congo showed up on CL, everybody would be like....uhh...who is going to take it? We wouldn't all be fighting each for it with cash unless it was dirt cheap, like 900 bucks.

But honestly, here in AK, we are forced to enjoy machines based on their availability more than anything. And you know what? That makes things interesting. Analogy to guitars: Kurt Cobain bought his Mustangs and Jaguars at the pawn shop because they were cheap. Now they are highly desired by guitar collectors. Necessity for Kurt created demand for collectors. A less cliched analogy would be Jack White's Airline guitar.

Just because something is the item of the moment and prices go up, doesn't mean you have to buy, or not buy that certain machine based on monetary speculation. It has to be about enjoyment, skill development, nostalgia. Something other than getting what the next guy wants before him.

So if the tables were flipped and I could pick up a 1970 Chevelle (Attack From Mars) for the price of a 1977 Malibu (Firepower), would I want to? Would I want to in ten years, when opinions shifted? It all depends on so many things other than the name.

In Alaska, I guess, you are kind of forced to enjoy what you have access to. I looked at SF CL the other night and flipped out over how many perfectly shopped pins were available under $1,000. It kind of drove me nuts to see all those machines. But, the only reason I went bananas over them is that people up here are generally forced to play older, less expensive machines, and do something different. If I hadn't been exposed to this environment, I might be chasing the "Bang for the buck" of dmd's like everybody else.

#50 10 years ago

Well, no need to be a prick about it, especially when your reading so selectivity.

Quoted from jalpert:

Tons of people overpaying for games on here, they want them now, 100% okay.

Tons of people on **HERE**. Do you honestly think that pinside is most or even a large portion of people who buy and play pinball? While a bunch of people on HERE are overpaying, it's not enough to affect prices.

Do you understand that?

Quoted from RobT:

Do you understand that?

I think you are missing the point. The point isn't how the market works, most people get that. The point is the effect that overpaying for pinballs is having. I don't care how much you pay, if I can pick up a game in a relativity short amount of time for $1,500, you aren't going to convince me it's a $2,000 game, no matter how much you paid. You paid $2,000, if I can get it for $1,500 the market value of the game is still $1,500 and unaffected by your purchase.

In most cases, if I want it now, it's probably a $2,000 game. However, I'm not willing to say, nor do I think it's a $2,000 game.

Quoted from gweempose:

but the fact of the matter is that if enough people are willing to spend $2,000 on it, it's no longer a $1,500 game. Obviously, this is pissing off some collectors who are used to lower prices, but it's not as if you can force the prices back down by explaining to everyone that they are overpaying. The market is going to go where the market is going to go. It's simple economics.

There are 81 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside