image (resized).jpg
IMG_1652 (resized).JPG
IMG_1651 (resized).JPG
IMG_1649 (resized).JPG
IMG_1650 (resized).JPG
IMG_1648 (resized).JPG
0Top-Speed-Work-01 (resized).jpg
IMG_1646 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4 6 years ago

Hi Scott
there is a site for spanish pins: http://www.tecnopinball.org/index.php and then http://www.tecnopinball.org/doc_biblioteca.php - lots of good stuff.

You write about the SB-Relay - my 1974 Far Out (Gottlieb) still has the huge Control-Bank in the cabinet --- Far Out has SB1-Reset-Control-Relay and SB2-Reset-Control-Switches (no coil as connected to SB1) --- the Recel Underwater lists "PM1 and PM2".

You write about three reset relays - Far Out has two reset relays --- they do get activated when the Player-Unit is stepped when resetting --- Player-Unit-Positions "20 and 21" --- please show the area in Your schematics where the three reset relays are activated, greetings Rolf

#5 6 years ago

Hi Scott
the schematics "Recel Check Mate" lists three Reset-Relays: PC1 for first player, PC2 for 2nd and 3rd, PC3 for 3rd and 4th Player (and PM for Reset-Control)

PC1,2,3 do the job of resetting the Score-Drums while the PM is the boss controlling, greetings Rolf

#8 6 years ago

Hi Scott
What problems does You pin have ?

in ipdb I found "RECEL Lady Luck" http://www.ipdb.org/machine.cgi?id=1405 and ipdb has an nice manual with the "start-up procedure". Greetings Rolf

#11 6 years ago

Hi Scott
I say the same as CactusJack --- rather modern EM-Pins have an Bonus-Ladder - often mounted on the underneathside of the playfield --- if "at end of Reset-Cycle" ALL switches on this unit are open and if the Start-up / Resetting never needed closed switches: The pin starts-up without the playfield connected. A Bally pin MUST have the Coin-Door-Motor-Board connection because Bally pins have Coin-Chute-Switches that MUST be closed for startup.

You found the trick as with many Gottlieb pins - manually activating the S-Start-Relay makes the pin do some (little) work of the Start-up procedure.

Please write about "are You familiar with Gottlieb-Player-Unit ? The Home-Position on this Unit ? How to manually step to Home-Position ? How to step to Game-Over-Position ?
Can You manually make relays in the Control-Bank - "make a relay to plunge" ? Does Your Control-Bank have paper tags telling from left to write something like "J2 J3 J4 GO UB PP PM2 PM1" ?
Recel pins use Gottlieb logic - when we toggle-on the main power switch: The GO (Game-Over-Relay) and the PP (First-Ball-Relay) do plunge when we toggle-on --- or maybe they are plunged from the game before --- Your pin when You start it: Your pin does reset the Control-Bank - Your pin MUST make the GO-Relay and the PP-Relay plunge when You toggle-on the main power switch. Do they "plunge" ?

Whenever You just look at stuff or You work in the pin: HAVE the pin toggled-off - better: Have the main power cord unplugged (Safety Reasons) - ONLY plug-in / toggle-on when You want to do a test and need electricity --- then be very careful --- NEVER touch metal - may use an wooden stick for handling Relays.

So unplug the pin --- look at this video --- actually it is about AX-Relays - but it shows Gottlieb-Control-Bank stuff: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index3.htm#axrelayvideo
At the time 00:48 to 00:58 "Clay" manually activates - make "plunge" some relays ---
please have Your pin unplugged and make the GO-Relay and the PP-Relay "plunge" --- then plug-in and start a game by manually activating the S-Start-Relay --- does the pin do MORE stuff with the plunged GO- and PP-Relay ? Greetings Rolf

#12 6 years ago

Hi Scott
the activating of PM2 when the S-Relay is active and the Motor is turning - see the JPG. After toggling-on the pin: The GO- and the PP-Relay must be actuated / plunged. Greetings Rolf

0Top-Speed-Work-01 (resized).jpg0Top-Speed-Work-01 (resized).jpg

#15 6 years ago

Hi Scott
to Your existing problems a new problem has been added --- great that the GO-Relay plunges when You toggle-on the pin (due to a adjusted switch on R-Hold-Relay) --- but the GO-Relay should then not hum - as the GO-Relay has an switch (mounted on the GO-Relay) to CUT the "get feeded wire". Lets try an work-around for this little problem (humming): After toggling-on the pin: Manually activate the H-Relay (in the list in the schematics the text to the H-Relay is a bit faulty - they say H-Tilt-Relay BUT IT IS H-Tilt-HOLD-Relay) --- manually activate the H-Relay - question: Does it keeps-on pulling ? (it should) --- Also do manually activate the R-Hold-Relay - question: Does it keeps-on pulling ? (it should) ---
More to come on the first problem You mentioned, greetings Rolf

#18 6 years ago

Hi Scott
Yes - I also think You made progress. One way to work on a pin is to take tare of the very first abnormal thing and fix this. Another way is to accept abnormal behaviour and try to help the pin into "One-Player-Game - the player has action on the playfield and can somewhat play". I like the first (mentioned) way when I have good knowledge of the way the pin is constructed and I am familiar with such an pin --- I do have some 4-Player-Gottliebs and some 4-Player-Williams pins.

I have never seen the inside of an Recel pin - Yes, they are alike to Gottlieb - but at the moment I still struggle with understanding - looking at the Top Speed schematics and studying the ipdb-Manual of "Lady Luck" to figure out the Start-up Procedure. The ending of Your post-17 gives me hope --- "You actuate (again) the S-Relay --- and the J-TWO actuates" --- the pin acts as if he has started and resetted and when people press again the S-Relay - the pin says OK - I am ready but they want a two player-game ...

So my hope is: Instead of You actuating again the S-Relay --- You bring the Player-Unit (thats a Gottlieb word) - You bring the Recel-Add-Balls-Unit (another word for +/- same Unit) into the position "Home means Zero means ready for a One-Player-Game to launch and play the first ball".
Here http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2590&picno=49199&zoom=1 in the upper left corner I see some Unit that looks like a (Gottlieb) Player-Unit - question: Is this the Unit You say in post-17 "advances 2" ?
If "Yes" please look at the second JPG here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtlb-spirit-of-76-startup-problem#post-3402911 (do not read the post) --- then look here http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/Images/CamPositions-4Player.jpg . Toggle-off Your pin and look at that Unit in the Backbox --- do You have such Nylon cams - and the cam closest to the wood ONLY has ONE tooth --- try to step the unit until this "only one tooth" actuates its switchstack --- THIS IS HOME-Position also called Position-Zero. Then step the Unit some 15 steps more. Plug-in, toggle-on, start a game --- wait --- pin idles - NOW You manually step the Unit further to HOME-Position --- big question: Dou You have action on the playfield ? Can You play a ball ?

I believe that this Unit is like a Gottlieb-Player-Unit --- in post-6 You show a snippet of schematics and in there I see Position-Numbers "8,9,10,11" and "16,17,18,19" and this numbering IS GOTTLIEB-numbering. So I hope: You manually step to Home-Position (the ONLY tooth on cam-5 actuates its switchstack) and You can play.
The way the stepping is done in an Gottlieb pin (Player-Unit):
Home-Position is Zero-Position is "Player-1-Ball-1"
Position-1 is "Player-2-Ball-1"
Position-2 is "Player-3-Ball-1"
Position-3 is "Player-4-Ball-1"
Position-4 is "Player-1-Ball-2"
Position-5 is "Player-2-Ball-2"
Position-6 is "Player-3-Ball-2"
Position-7 is "Player-4-Ball-2"
Position-8 is "Player-1-Ball-3"
Position-9 is "Player-2-Ball-3" and on and on.
When You had stepped some 15 positions before starting a new game: You have the Unit set for the pin to step a bit - do resetting, then stepping to Home-Position. YOU do the stepping to Home-Position. Greetings Rolf

P.S. - Want to try (?) - Instead of manually activating the S-Relay: Manually activate the "V-Replay-Button-Relay" --- question: Is this better than manually activating the S-Relay ?

#22 6 years ago

Hi Scott
thanks for the flowers - unfortunately the fact is "I do not know Recel and I am struggling / guessing" --- fellow pinsider, when You know Recel pins: "Please participate".

Grumble, I happen to forget - I do not remember everything - anyway --- I was digging a bit in pinside - here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/aladdinss-castle-schematics-on-archiveorg-more and then post-3 I talk about "pin-it" and we come back to pinside (hihi): https://pinside.com/pinball/archive/top-speed (scroll down) - see the pages of the schematics (?).
I happen to like to do some "work" in MS-Paint and paintnet.com --- I have put together these pages into an continuous schematics (JPG is 2.0 MB data, PDF is 1.1 MB data) --- I do not post such MB data in pinside --- IF You write me an personal message with an EMail-Address I then send You "my work".

The beginning of Your post-20 makes me believe "I did not make an good description" - here again: Toggle-off the pin - manually step the Player-Unit to HOME-Position - then manually step the Unit some 15 steps (more) further (still the pin is toggled of). With this stepping (8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15) we make the pin believe: A game was played - well, not completely played.
Then toggle-on and do Your start-procedure once --- the pin does step a bit but not enough steps --- the pin comes to idle --- NOW, YOU (with the pin toggled-on, started) - YOU carefully step to HOME-Position. And doing so You should be "in a ONE-Player-Game - in Ball-1" You can launch the ball and play --- can You somewhat play ? Then: You let the ball drain - is the pin nice and friendly and counts down bonus and steps to next ball ? Greetings Rolf

#25 6 years ago

Hi Scott
thanks for the videos. I am not pleased with what I see in the videos --- the first problem we must take tare of is "Why does the S-Start-Relay pulls-in all the time ?". To study the schematics and figure out some test will take one to two (?) hours. In Switzerland it is past eleven at night - I go to sleep. I will write by tomorrow. Greetings Rolf

#27 6 years ago

Hi Scott
I look at Your video in post-24. You do step the "Player-Unit, Gottlieb words" and at time 0:33 You step to and reach Home-Position. After a few seconds You then toggle-on and start a game. This is not what I meant - I meant: Have the pin toggled-off and do some stepping so the pin (way in the future) believes "a game has been played". At the time You have the pin toggled-off and do some stepping "Home" is not of interest - of interest is "Player-Unit shall be in a position clearly "in play - many steps AFTER Home)". Yes You step to Home-position so You now can do the 15 steps so You have the Player-Unit clearly "in play - somewhere towards Game-Over. Wait with toggling-on until You have reached this "some-15-steps-after-Home" position - in this position toggle-on and start a game.
The video (in post-24 ends when it is getting interesting.

I look at the first video in post-23. At time 00:12 / 00:13 You manually hit an green Rollover-Button on top of the playfield. Bad luck - I want to have a look in ipdb what points are given to that Button - when 50 or 500 or 5000 points: The Score-Motor is allowed to turn - little gremlins - ipdb is down - I do not have access to ipdb ...

I look at the second video in post-23 --- a bumper should not make the Score-Motor to run - should not make the Bank to reset - should not make the Player-Unit to step.
A bumper should not make the S-Start-Relay to fire - should not make the V-Replay-Button-Relay to fire. The schematics is hard to understand (means I do not understand as there are symbols like empty brackets I do not understand).
There is something wrong with the V- and S-Relay - Okay the activated V-Relay does in an running pin then activate the S-Relay - so maybe the question actually is "WHY gets the V-Relay activated when You hit a bumper.

I would be rude and unsolder a wire from COIL of V-Relay --- either the single wire "slate-white" or unsolder the two wires black --- when unsoldering the two wires "Black" - when they are unsoldered: They still shall be in contact among each other - still be soldered together. THEN when You want to start a new game You cannot use the Replay button - You must manually activate the S-Start-Relay.

Does the unsoldering wire(s) from coil on V-Relay --- then manually activating the S-Relay to start a game --- does this makes the bumper to not make the Motor run etc ? Greetings Rolf

#28 6 years ago

Hi Scott
an add-on to my post-27 - the manually stepping on the Player-Unit. I did write a lot - I must write more.
It is a common advice - other pinsiders had give many times and for sure thy will give the simple (short) advice : When the Startup / Reset stuff does not complete on itself - be nice and friendly to the pin - MANUALLY step to Home-Position.
So my (lengthy) writing in post-27 is the beginning --- You toggle-off the pin - thenYou manually step to "some 15 steps after Home-Position" - You plug-in and start a a game - the pin does a bit of work - does some steps - but faulty does not step to Home-Position by itself. The pin has current - has done some work - it idles - NOW YOU are nice and friendly and helpful - YOU now do the stepping to Home-Position means Zero-Position means "Position for Player-1-Ball-1" and You should be allowed to "kind of playing". Greetings Rolf

#30 6 years ago

Hi Scott
wait with "unsoldering wire(s) away from "Coil on V-Relay".
Sure, I want to help fixing the pin so in the end it runs completely. If there are many / complicated problems: I like to try some tricks / work-arounds so the owner "somewhat can play". Troubleshooting can be frustrating --- I believe: Now and then "somewhat playing" in between the endless troubleshooting helps to keep interest / motivation to fix.

My "manually stepping to 'somewhat 15 positions after HOME' - toggle-on, start a game - wait for the pin whatever the pin is willing to do --- then stepping to HOME": This is not really troubleshooting - this is "trying to do a work-around on the problem" - so You can "somewhat play".
My suggestion of unsoldering wire(s) away from "Coil on V-Relay" was another attempt to do a (sigh, one more) work-around so You can "somewhat play".

Please tell me: WHAT did You do so a lot of the very strange behaviour have vanished ? We then look at "whats next" - greetings Rolf

#37 6 years ago

Hi Scott and HowardR
when we say that Recel "Top Speed" uses Gottlieb (Spirit of 76) Logic --- here https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/gtlb-spirit-of-76-startup-problem#post-3427383 the marked green stuff - "Q-Game-Over-Relay and AX-Reset-Control-Relay and H-Tilt-Hold-Relay" do control the power to the playfield. Your pin has "GO-Game-Over-Relay and PM2-first-Reset-Control-Relay and H-(faulty-only-named- ) Tilt-Relay" --- the same.
Want to try the work-around I show in the (here) JPG ? Greetings Rolf

0Top-Speed-pinside-01 (resized).jpg0Top-Speed-pinside-01 (resized).jpg

#38 6 years ago

Hi Scott
on the Game-Over-Relay the "Solder-Lug with wire-red soldered-on" probably is hard to get at. For the mentioned test (post-37) You can use any "Solder-Lug with wire-red soldered-on" - want to look-up in the schematic --- my "Switchblade on M-Relay" is one of the many places You may use. Greetings Rolf

0Top-Speed-Work-02 (resized).jpg0Top-Speed-Work-02 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rolf_martin_062.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recel-to-gottlieb-translation?tu=rolf_martin_062 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.