• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

recel_coil (resized).jpg
back_recel (resized).jpg
front_recel (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frogger1108.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

Hi,

I recently bought an old playfield from recel, it's either underwater or the 1 player torpedo versions. It seems like somebody started to dismantle the playfield, all the lamp sockets are gone, the wiring is missing and all the EM parts like the bonus unit are gone too. This means I'm left with the coils and some of the switches, the plastics on the other hand are all there.
Since I really like the look of that machine I'm not going to use them as spare parts but I'm going to restore it back to life using Arduinos, but since I don't know much about recel I need some information before I start my work:

The playfield is still good and covered in the recel, mylar-like coating. It's only slighty coming off in some areas so I'd like to keep it on. What kind of cleaner do I use for this coating? How do I treat this coat after I cleaned it? Do you apply wax or do you just play on it without treatment?

The next big thing are the coils. What kind of voltage did recel use for the coils? I worked on Williams EM coils, they run fine with 24Volt, is this what recel used too?

Last thing, the mechanisms. Recel used a spring wound around the flipper shaft mechanism (I don't know what it's officially called, see the attatched picture . I only know Williams flipper mechanisms which have a spring around the plunger, those are easy to replace. How do I work with the recel ones? How do I get them off, and what kind of spring would be a fitting replacement?

Thank you in advance for your help, I already looked at the few manual scans that are out there but I really can't find the answers I need to start working.

Kind regards.

back_recel (resized).jpgback_recel (resized).jpgfront_recel (resized).jpgfront_recel (resized).jpgrecel_coil (resized).jpgrecel_coil (resized).jpg
#6 5 years ago

Thank you all for your help. I'll start working on the playfield in the next weeks, if you're interested I will keep you updated about my progress. I converted an Aztec playfield before, so the basics are covered but I made many mistakes and took shortcuts I'll try to avoid this time...

I read your blog Arcance ,but your work is on another level....I'm just trying to get this thing to work, and as you can see from the pictures, I don't have much to restore anyway and I will have to rebuild pretty much everything.

One other thing I forgot are the rubbers. I can't find a playfield/rubber chart and no seller has the Underwater rubber set (I'm in Germany), besides I have a lot of the smaller rubbers lying around anyway. Does anybody have a scan of the rubber chart?

Thanks again

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider frogger1108.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/recel-pinball-underwater-questions-1?tu=frogger1108 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.