Bally Star Trek PF plastics.jpg
New CPR Star Trek plastics.jpg
star-trek-flyer2.jpg
IMG_7880.JPG
IMG_0672.JPG
IMG_0625.JPG
IMG_7878.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Well the wait was worth it. The new CPR Star Trek playfields are awesome. I got home after being out of town on business all week and it was waiting for me on my front porch along with a plastics set and the enhancement kit.

Super-nice.

IMG_7878.JPGIMG_7878.JPG

#2 9 years ago

You going to use the nacelle mod?

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from dothedoo:

You going to use the nacelle mod?

I don't know. Probably.

But I notice some differences between this new playfield and an OEM. Some of the inserts don't look the same.

Below is a mint NOS assembled playfield I had clear coated a few years ago that is currently in my personal machine. Notice the difference between the inserts.

IMG_0625.JPGIMG_0625.JPG

IMG_0672.JPGIMG_0672.JPG

Were there different versions with different colored inserts?

#4 9 years ago

Those outline inserts are certainly different, didn't readily see the others.

#5 9 years ago

On my OEM playfield the outlane "Specials" are red and so is the "Special" above "Bally" in the center next to the "50".

The "B-A-L-L-Y" in the center are yellow on my OEM playfield and they are white on the CPR.

Everything else looks the same as far as I can see.

IMG_7880.JPGIMG_7880.JPG

#6 9 years ago

That's really odd that no one caught that.
Oh well...they will look nice with a red lamp under them.

Still, the PF looks beautiful.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://www.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#7 9 years ago

Yes, it looks nice, but those insert color errors are disappointing.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

That's really odd that no one caught that.

Here's an original that doesn't have the red inserts. I think there was just a lot of variation back then. Beautiful playfield.....

http://www.pinball-machines-australia.com.au/star-trek-bally-pinball-machine-1910114/

#9 9 years ago

Well after doing a little research it looks like there were at least three variations. The brochure shows one that looks exactly like my OEM does and it appears that the vast majority are like the brochure.

star-trek-flyer2.jpgstar-trek-flyer2.jpg

However, there were some later oddball versions where it looks like Bally might have been running low on inserts or something. They made a lot of these machines. I knew there were at least three backglass versions but didn't know there were some oddball playfields too.

I wish CPR would have made their reproductions like the brochure and not the oddball ones. Pretty obvious that "Special" lites are supposed to all be red and not white. I can live with the B-A-L-L-Y being white rather than yellow but the specials just don't look right in white. I guess I will have to get some red bulbs.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Gatecrasher:

Well after doing a little research it looks like there were at least three variations. The brochure shows one that looks exactly like my OEM does and it appears that the vast majority are like the brochure.

However, there were some later oddball versions where it looks like Bally might have been running low on inserts or something. They made a lot of these machines. I knew there were at least three backglass versions but didn't know there were some oddball playfields too.
I wish CPR would have made their reproductions like the brochure and not the oddball ones. Pretty obvious that "Special" lites are supposed to all be red and not white. I can live with the B-A-L-L-Y being white rather than yellow but the specials just don't look right in white. I guess I will have to get some red bulbs.

star-trek-flyer2.jpg 293 KB

It's possible that CPR didn't use a flyer for reference but an actual donor pf that had the white inserts? Also could have been that they didn't have enough red inserts. I got a Xenon from the 2009 run that had blue inserts at the top 1 2 3 and 4 that are supposed to be green, wasn't a mistake but they ran low on green. Once the pf's are CNC'd they have to use them all, once the silk screening starts, I'm pretty sure they have to run all the pf's in one shot.
My 2 cents.

#11 9 years ago

Wow, I also received my Star Trek playfield and plastic set from CPR and when I opened it I was just stunned at how nice it looks. I just saw this post for the first time today and I could hardly believe when I read about the different color inserts. It flew right under my radar, I did not notice the difference and had no idea Bally had made Star Trek playfield's with differences in the inserts. I wonder if it's a prototype thing or just late production runs they ran low on yellow and red inserts so used white in their place to keep production running. My original playfield has yellow inserts for the BALLY on the ship and one red on it and one in each out lane. I would say I am a little disappointed it's not the same as my original but then if Bally made them this way then how could you complain so I guess I am Ok with it but will probably put red and yellow LED's under the inserts so they will be the same color as my original when they are lighted. I will say I am glade they fixed the blue in the plastics set to match the original blue which was too dark in their first run last time.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from SaminVA:

Wow, I also received my Star Trek playfield and plastic set from CPR and when I opened it I was just stunned at how nice it looks. I just saw this post for the first time today and I could hardly believe when I read about the different color inserts. It flew right under my radar, I did not notice the difference and had no idea Bally had made Star Trek playfield's with differences in the inserts. I wonder if it's a prototype thing or just late production runs they ran low on yellow and red inserts so used white in their place to keep production running. My original playfield has yellow inserts for the BALLY on the ship and one red on it and one in each out lane. I would say I am a little disappointed it's not the same as my original but then if Bally made them this way then how could you complain so I guess I am Ok with it but will probably put red and yellow LED's under the inserts so they will be the same color as my original when they are lighted. I will say I am glade they fixed the blue in the plastics set to match the original blue which was too dark in their first run last time.

I'll probably try putting the red "condom" covers on some incandescents for the three white specials. Should look pretty-good. A red LED would probably look even better. I'm OK with the rest of the inserts plus the playfield will be a custom one anyway with the enhancement kit.

The actual artwork on the playfield is very nice and Stu sent me a "Gold" one that is nice and flat.

I haven't looked at the plastics yet. So CPR adjusted the color some? I still have a set of the 1st CPR Star Trek plastics plus a complete NOS set. The 1st CPRs didn't look bad.

#13 9 years ago

Yea wile the first plastics run looked great the background blue was too dark and stuck out like a sore thumb. Their new Star Trek plastics run is pretty much spot on and matches the new playfield much better. I did do an un boxing video but did not take any pictures so I grabbed some from the video. I need to make another video pointing out the difference in the plastic inserts which I totally missed wile making the first video and edit them together.
New CPR Star Trek plastics.jpgNew CPR Star Trek plastics.jpg
Bally Star Trek PF plastics.jpgBally Star Trek PF plastics.jpg

#14 9 years ago

Don't forget, there were 4 possible playfield manufacturers that did work for Bally, so you get variations in color mixing and inserts.

So what is more desirable in a reproduction playfield or backglass - the most common variation, the best looking variation or the most rare variation?

#15 9 years ago

I think the "whites" on that field should be cream...

-DUCKS-

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

-DUCKS-

haha!

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

-DUCKS-

That white looks horrible, bring on the nasty yellowed looking cream color!

#18 9 years ago

Yeah and shouldn't we see the grain of the wood in the painted areas? I see it on my original.

1 week later
#19 9 years ago

It took me a wile but I finally finished the video. I figured I should point out the differences in the playfield but the more I look at the playfield the more I like it and the small changes. It's gonna look great on my game. Now I'll have to find the time to make the swap. This will be my first playfield swap but I am looking forward to the challenge.
Thanks to everyone at CPR for another great reproduction.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 22.50
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
New Brighton, PA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Gilbert, AZ
$ 199.95
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Santa Ana, CA
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/received-my-new-cpr-playfield-today and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.