Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 45 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by newmantjn
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_3140 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3139 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3138 (resized).JPG
    20151021193912602.jpg
    20151019222704804.jpg
    seriouslee.jpg
    cr6-cr8_voltage_test.jpg
    cr7-cr9_voltage_test.jpg
    20151018241342173.jpg
    20151018241412610.jpg
    20151007025831783.jpg
    20151015204623080.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newmantjn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 3 years ago

I'm having this exact problem. Was c8 the fix??

#37 3 years ago

OK, I have the exact same thing. I had a power supply that was more or less OK - needed new caps etc., So I put in the new parts per pinwiki and now I have this mess. A hot Q2 and low 60/42. The thing is, this is my second one like this. I finally punted on the last one and stripped off the capacitors and put them into another power supply (that oh, by the way) is working fine. I double checked the cap orientation to the working PS all that. I just can't figure this out for the life of me.

Yes, I know, buy a rottendawg or whatever. I just really want to fix these and maybe learn something in the process. You don't learn anything firing new parts into a machine.

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from barakandl:

Comparing to a working board was how I noticed a cap was in backwards. Looking at the pcb printing it was easy to see how that happened.

I did exactly that below. I have a bottom board out of another game, so I'm using that as a poor mans test bench.

The first two pictures are of a properly working power supply that I rebuilt. The last one is the one that is not working correctly. I double checked all the caps and they seem to all be orientated correctly. If you notice something please let me know. Also, I added a new insulator under Q2. Also, in case it isn't clear, I'm on the 42v output in the first picture and the 60v output in the last one. I should have done 60v for both.

I'm stumped. Q2 got so hot I damn near burned my fingers on it.

IMG_3138 (resized).JPGIMG_3138 (resized).JPGIMG_3139 (resized).JPGIMG_3139 (resized).JPGIMG_3140 (resized).JPGIMG_3140 (resized).JPG

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Mica insulators under high voltage transistor?
    Metal screw going through the transistor and heatsink - electrically tying them together?

Hi Ed;
    Thanks for writing. Please look at the pictures above, I'm actually on a bench, so there is no short to the plate possible.

Note, however, that I did order a few mica insulators from you a few days ago. Also, I thing I'm going with nylon screws on some of these, as I don't have all the old pass through insulators.

#45 3 years ago

OK, I had a dumbass attack.

I was thinking - what changed? Go back and double check everything.

Took another look at c8. It was installed correctly, but slightly bulging. Further examination showed it was 470uf, not 47. I put in a 47uf cap and it seems to be happy now.

Just need a few shoulder washers.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider newmantjn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilt-gtb-system-1-power-supply-low-voltage-in-hv-section?tu=newmantjn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.