(Topic ID: 251226)

Rebuilt Black Knight power board, now getting mild electric shock

By kevinclark

4 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 4 years ago

Hi folks - thanks to the wealth of information I found here I was able to transport my childhood pinball machine from my parents place today and replaced many of the components on the power board to fix the display issue I’d been seeing before. Digits are looking way way better. But now I’ve got a new symptom - I get I mild electric shock when I touch the latch to open up the back box and when I touch the rails on the cabinet.

The wall plug appears to be missing a ground pin and I’m planning to fix that this week. Does it seem likely that the shock issue will resolve when I do that or is it indicative of a bad board repair? The pin seems to start up fine.

I’m wondering if there had always been a little voltage getting discharged into the pin and the crappy voltage pre-capacitor swap just might have masked it? The other major variable that changed is that the pin is in my garage on a cement floor vs on carpet previously - maybe it’s just not grounding in the same way?

Anyway, very much appreciate your thoughts.

Edit: Worth noting I followed Vid’a bulletproofing guide to replace components on the power board.

#2 4 years ago

Fixing the ground pin should fix your shock. It's best to leave the machine off until then, getting a shock from machines is never good.

It is possible that you fixed the ground on your driver board so it now connects to the ground on your machine. This is good. You can verify that all grounds on the machine are the same (coin door, test points on PCB, pin on power cord).

#3 4 years ago

Replace the plug on the power cord and you should be ok.

#4 4 years ago

Great, thanks guys! I unplugged it as soon as I noticed the shock and it’ll stay that way til it gets proper ground.

#5 4 years ago

Just to follow up - new plug is on and the tingle in my fingers is gone. Thanks!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,059.00
$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilt-black-knight-power-board-now-getting-mild-electric-shock and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.