rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phantasize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#88 5 years ago

I am hoping to have a working v2 board up and running tomorrow, although probably only as a PoC as i still need the correct speakers and wiring. But the board arrived only a few days after ordering, and the software is running on the Pi3.

Up until now things are running pretty smooth. I have been mailing a little back and forth with Steve, and he has been extremely helpful answering all of my noob questions (sorry @steve45 . So i am very pleased so far, and confident that i will have it up and running in no time...

Now to solder those damn small IC chips, and decide whether to go for my IJ, STTNG or TZ...

4 weeks later
#96 5 years ago
Quoted from sushko:

Hi I am having trouble with software can't get any sounds to play. The program is loading up fine. I get sound set one loaded then nothing in game and on computer software. I have tried both Wav and ogg files. Stuck please help.

Have you remembered to include the descrambling / hashing in the config file? Otherwise you can not use the numbers to play a sound

1 week later
#100 5 years ago

I am having somewhat similar issues with my board. The board is working, but when using a soundmix with the corresponding descambling file for my CFTBL and TZ machines, some of the sounds are not mapped correctly. As an example, in the TZ machine the jackpot sound is wrong (with the Reorchestrated mix). And in the CFTBL machine i have the luxury of being able to test the same mix on both a Pinsound board and a Raspisound board. And with the pinsound board the sounds are as expected, but when switching to Raspisound board some of the sounds are wrong / mixed up. So to me this indicates that the descrambling files downloaded are not 100% accurate? But it is of course only a guess.

In my IJ machine i haven't been able to make the Raspisound board produce any sound at all, despite the log files saying everything should be ok.

So i am kind of stuck at the moment, but hoping that if other people experience the same problems someone will come up with a fix

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

It could be that there is an offset for the second part of the sound effects (the ones with higher numbers). Can you please check an compare, if you have the chance to do so. It would be most helpful, if you can provide error description like: "on TZ with mix xxx sound a is playing instead of b".
Meanwhile I try to double check the sound mixes / mapping files, but without having the machine running, this is not so easy. by the way another good source of doing mapping tests is using the machines sound diagnostics. Typically is actually states by name what effect is playing and this could be compared to what you hear. Most of the time this is also good advice to mapping problems.
Thx Steve

Hi Steve

I'll see what i can do. I completely follow your logic, but the problem is that a lot of the time i just know which sound should have been played, and not what sound is actually playing instead.

Also the sound test is a great idea, and i know that at least in the CFTBL one or meore of the sounds in the sound test is wrong. However as far as i remember this wasn't the case with my TZ.

But i'll see what i can come up with to document it that could be useful to you. I won't be home much these next days, so it'll probably not be until early next week.

1 month later
#105 5 years ago

Hi Steve

I did some testing on my borrowed CFTBL machine and sent you an email with my "findings". Hope it is useful...

3 weeks later
#174 5 years ago

Hi There Wharhed

To me it sounds like the licence is Missing? Did you purchase a licence file at the go-dmd shop?

https://go-dmd.de/produkt/10955/

After I got the key file from Steve, mine stopped announcing the serial number.

And the placement of your config.raspisnd is placed correctly in the /1/ folder. Note that it is actually no longer required that you name the folders 1, 2 and so on. So instead of /1 it could be something like /IJ_Original

So the config.raspisnd needs to contain the hash mappings and if needed gain and ducking info and be placed like this:

/data/sound/SOUNDSET_NAME/config.raspisnd

And the other more general config file containing vendor info, preload options and so on is called raspisnd.ini and needs to be placed like this:

/data/sound/raspisnd.ini

But start by making sure you have purchased a valid key file via the link above, and placed it in the /data folder.

Hope this helps

1 week later
#220 5 years ago

Hey guys

Just thought that i would add my own observations and thoughts to this thread. I have a version 2.x board myself, and have it 95% running in a WPC DCS machine (Indiana Jones). But i also confirmed it working (the same 95%) in a WPC machine (CFTBL)

1. Software setup and documentation (https://pinball-mods.de/2017/12/19/howto-for-rasberry-pinball-sound/):
First of all, i agree that the documentation isn't the best out there. But with that said, i actually believe all of the required information for the software part is in the how-to Steve created, although some of it can be a little confusing. But read it all from start to finish before doing anything else and you should be fine. I think some of the problems people are having is that the documentation tries to take into account both older and newer hardware / firmware revisions in one document. And this can be a little confusing. But take special note of the two config files, as i mentioned earlier in this thread as i have messed this up a couple of times myself:

The config.raspisnd needs to contain the hash mappings and if needed gain and ducking info and be placed like this:
/data/sound/SOUNDSET_NAME/config.raspisnd

And the other more general config file containing vendor info, preload options and so on is called raspisnd.ini and needs to be placed like this:
/data/sound/raspisnd.ini

Especially the Vendor option in /data/sound/raspisnd.ini and the correct mapping file in /data/sound/SOUNDSET_NAME/config.raspisnd can cause all sorts of strange problems where incorrect sounds are playing or not playing at all.

2. USB Sound card
The how-to explains that if you want to use en extarnal USB sound card (needed for the Pi0 and recommended for the Pi3 for crisper sound) you need to place an empty txt file called use-usb.txt in the /data folder of the windows partition of the SD card. I can confirm that this location is correct. However i tried it first with a USB sound card exactly like the one Steve has been showing in some pictures ("3D Sound"), but it didn't work. But after getting another simple card from ebay it works just fine. So guess the first one wasn't working.

3. Hardware info
I had a few questions myself before assembling for my Pi3, but Steve was very helpful, and by looking at some of the videos he had already posted on YouTube i was able to see the correct orientation. Since then Steve also added some pictures in this thread on post #133. Note that you need an external 12 - 15 volt DC power supply. By hooking this up to the Raspisound board, it will power both the board and the Pi

4: Version confusion
Note that there often is talk about two different version types. The BOARD version (which is currently 2.x) and the FIRMWARE version which is currently 1.14

5: My own issues (The remaining 5%)
Like i mentioned in the beginning i have it 95% up and running. However there are some minor quirks that need to be fixed before i will be using this full time. For the most part it is running correctly in my IJ playing the correct sounds where it should. But the problem is that if a sound is repeated say 5 times in a row, perhaps only sound 1, 3, 4 and f5 are played. And the next time it could be 1, 2, 3 and 5 in stead. Also sounds aren't always stopped correctly and will continue playing where they should not. I believe Steve already have a pending fix for this specific issue in the next firmware.

Besides the above there are some occasional strange behaviour that can be a little hard to explain, but i am quite sure that they are all minor quirks that Steve will be able to fix in future firmware upgrades.

6: Conclusion
As someone mentioned earlier, this have always been advertised as a DIY project, and i think Steve have done an amazing job so far. Being just 1 man it is understandable that it can be hard to maintain and correct documentation 100%. But he has been extremely helpful so far via email and in this forum. Being "early adopters" on these things always require some extra effort to get things working, perhaps reading threads like this one, and potentially debugging the issues with the creator/developer. And by doing so, we will end up with a really great product at a really affordable price

Not sure there is anything new in all of the above, but just thought that i would make it really clear that i support projects like this one, and understand how hard it can be doing hardware design, developing software, supporting users and maintaining documentation without having a huge staff to help you out Cant wait to see what Steve comes up with next

#226 5 years ago

Great to hear Lonzo.

I don’t think the missing sounds are because they are missing from the sound set, as I often experience the sound being played correctly, and then on occasion the same sound just doesn’t play. So I think that either the board doesn’t register the event correctly, or something in the firmware needs to be fixed. For instance in my IJ machine I get a error when booting the machine saying I need to check the sound board. This warning is given via the display and the normal “error sound” that is 5 “ding ding ding ding ding”. But it will typically be played something like “ding ding ding ___ ding” or “ding ___ ding ding ding”. So the same sound every time, but just doesn’t get played every time.

I think the warning in the log about config.ini is some left over checks from older firmware version where a config.ini was actually used. I don’t think you need to worry about it.

But glad to hear you got it working. Let’s just hope the last minor glitches can be fixed as well

3 weeks later
#255 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

So i managed to get IJ working, but a lot of sample are played when quick things are happening, like bumpers and so on.
Is there anyone using a Raspisound with indiana jones and the endprodukte sound pack??
Just to confirm that it works without a gltich ?
Thanks

I am testing the Raspisound board in my own IJ, buy I have been testing with the Reorchestrated mix as I know this really well from the Pinsound board. As I have mentioned earlier my problem is that sometimes sounds are not played or are cut off too early or not cut off at all. So for instance I don't always get a sound when the ball enters a roll-over lane, or some of the punching sounds are missing when there are multiple hits from the pop bumpers. Another thing is when the multiball animations runs, the sound are cut off way too early. And the same mix works with a Pinsound board. I will see if I can test with the endprodukte mix and get back to you with my results.

And in my STTNG some of the mode songs are never played, even though the exact same mix is working with a real Pinsound board.

So even if this is a really cool project. and I would love to buy 4-5 more, unless some of these problems are fixed I won't be using my existing Raspisound board.

I am still hoping that these issues will be resolved, but seeing as Steve is only one guy and doesn't have access to every machine, I think it could take a long time before it is really "stable". The work Steve has done so far is really awesome, but for me those last 10-15% are really important

#259 5 years ago

I don't think the SD card is the bottleneck, as I always use the preload option. That means that all of the sounds are copied to the RAM of my Pi3 as I understand it.

#264 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I guess I need to go through the board and test every connection to make sure the DE chip is working properly. It’s seems to be that or the config files are wrong.

I am pretty sure the config / hash mapping files are just wrong, since it works when you swap out individual lines in the mapping file.

#269 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

What would help is some logfiles from the original machine running raspisound in dataeast mode, so that I can see, how command byte coming in on the real hardware. Unfortunately I don't have a whitestar at hand for testing.
Br Steve

Is there any specific machine you are thinking about? I own a TSPP which i believe is a whitestar? And would be glad to help if possible, allthough i would rather have a fully working WPC and WPC DCS before Whitestar if possible

#270 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Is there any specific machine you are thinking about? I own a TSPP which i believe is a whitestar? And would be glad to help if possible, allthough i would rather have a fully working WPC and WPC DCS before Whitestar if possible

Just remembered my shield was ordered for a WPC machine, so it probably doesn't have the correct connector to test it in my TSPP?

1 week later
#304 5 years ago

Hi Steve

I updated my Raspisound from 1.14 to v1.17 via the previous posted update file, and it seems the update went fine. When it boots, it now says it is running 1.17 and starts preloading.

However after preloading there is no sound at all. And this is using the exact same sound mix and config and descrambling files. But no sound at all...

It is in my WPC DCS Star Trek Next Generation

I posted the log here: https://pastebin.com/uL9xMJJ8 in case you need it.

Can anyone else confirm that v1.17 works on WPC DCS machines?

#307 5 years ago

Hey,

OK, i'll downgrade. Latest version i have had access to was 1.14. Do you know if i will be able to just use the existing 1.14 update file i have to downgrade (thus keeping my soundsets and config files on the card), or will i have to download a full 1.14 image file and do a clean install of the SD Card?

#328 5 years ago

Sounds like you are now at the same place as me and some others on WPC. It's about 90% correct, but sometimes certain sounds arent played, or sounds are not stopped when they should be.

Fingers crossed we can get it that last step of the way, because then I will definitely have to purchase more for my other machines

Steve, is there anything we can do in regards of helping solve the remaining intermittent issues? Would a video of a game with an attached log file help? Then I could pinpoint certain points with timecodes in the video where something isn't correct. But I don't know if you will be able to locate these points in the (rather big) log file afterwards?

#355 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

lonzo & phantasize in order to get the remaining ~10% done, we / I need to track down, what is wrong here. Given its only 10% I assume the general decoding is working. So I see following causes for errors:
1. the sound effect in the given sound set itself is missing or wrong
2. the mapping is wrong
3. the command decoding is wrong in this (rare) cases
Also interesting: does the failure happen determinist everytime or only sometimes. If sometimes, under what preconditions (if any).
For all three cases it would be nice, if you can track it down like:
sound a expected, but none.
sound a expected, but always sound b
Given such an error description plus a logfile from such a run, I'm quite sure I can nail it down.
Best Steve

Hi steve45

I would love if we could nail the last 10%! And since your CFTBL holo mod also relies on people using a Raspisound board i think it would be important to pinpoint the problem, as i believe users of the mod would experience similar issues (i know i did when i tested in a borrowed CFTBL).

I actually think that at least in my case, number 1 and perhaps even number 2 can be ruled out. I have tested the exact same sound set with a Pinsound board and in this case there is no errors. So that tells me the sounds are correct. And for the mapping i think i actually sometimes hear the correct background music starting for a mode (on STTNG), but after less than a second or so it is replaced with silence or even the main theme tune instead. And all of the sounds in the sound test mode also matches their names, and in STTNG there are quite a lot in the sound test. So i am pretty sure the mapping is spot on.

I think i should test with 1.17 or newer, as i would like to be able to test the stop commands as well. That way i could start with the most simple approach and try to get the sound test behaviour 100% correct (the sounds are already correct, but the music doesn't stop when you select the next item to test as it does with original and Pinsound boards). But since i still have no sound on WPC DCS on 1.17 i can not do that.

Did you have any luck finding the error introduced in 1.15 or 1.17 that would cause WPC DCS not to play any sounds at all?

I only have access to 1.14 and 1.17rc, so i can not say if the error was introduced in 1.15 or 1.17rc.

#363 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

If you can compare side by side with original sound that's great,

I dont think I can do a side by side, as that would require that I have both original board and Raspisound hooked up at the same time. Alternatively be able to replicate a game exactly two times which would be impossible.

But I will load up Raspisound with the original STTNG sound set, and film a game. Then I hope that based on the video and the log we can pinpoint the problems.

2 months later
#443 5 years ago

Looking forward to try it out. I was afraid this projekt was abandoned, so really happy to see i was wrong. Will test on my own STTNG tomorrow to see if any of my previous issues on that machine have been resolved.

#451 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

update.zip is now update-done.zip
log says :
"2018-11-05 20:17:15.785 INFO [main] [despi.c:565] RasPinSound starting, version 1.17, serial: xxxx
2018-11-05 20:17:15.786 INFO [main] [despi.c:570] loading settings from .pisound2
2018-11-05 20:17:15.806 ERROR [main] [despi.c:573] license verify error"
removing key file doesn't solve the issue, no trial mode.
I don't have the .pisound2 file ..

I have the exact same issue. I tried upgrading from 1.14 as 1.17 was never working on my STTNG, and the update file is now renamed to update-done, however the log still says that it is version 1.14, and i get the same license verify error as BENEATH:

2018-06-14 17:07:52.472 INFO [main] [despi.c:488] RasPinSound starting, version 1.14, serial: 323XXXX435
2018-06-14 17:07:52.473 INFO [main] [despi.c:493] loading settings from .pisound2
2018-06-14 17:07:52.520 ERROR [main] [despi.c:496] license verify error

steve45 it seems there is an error regarding license file that keeps us from testing the 1.18 build?

#455 5 years ago

Did a quick test with the 1.19 release this morning

Good news is that i now have sound on my STTNG again.

Bad news is that the problems i encountered earlier are still the same.

Most noticeable is that when ever i start a mode, the correct mode music starts playing, but after about 1 second, the "default game music" plays instead. Or likewise if you get the "command decision" where you can select a mode, the "command decision" music plays correctly, and when selecting a mode, the correct mode music plays for 1-2 seconds and then the "command decision" jingle/music is played again.

So as before, the biggest thing is that i have not got the correct mode music.

I tested with the original STTNG sound set.

#459 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

This is a video of a test in a STTNG. Please check wether the problem is there also

Yes i actually think the problem is shown in your own video too.

In the video when the command decision is given, the correct comman decision jingle/music is running. Then "Search the galaxy" game mode is selected. But the music for "Search the galaxy" isn't played, but instead the command decision jingle/music keeps playing. This is just like i described in my previous post.

However i could be wrong as i am not 100% familiar with the soundset you are using. But if you can make a longer video with different game modes started i could better see it. And even if you could use the original soundset instead.

steve45 you mentioned you had built in support for stop commands, but i forgot the syntax / usage of it. Could you provide a link to some info, or perhaps sum it up here? Thanks I would like to see if it makes any difference, or makes the sound test menu behave more like the original.

Btw really nice to see this project moving forward again Love what both of you guys are doing for the community!

#462 5 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

I think the Search the Galaxy music is the same as the command decision select jingle no?

Thats why it would be nice if the video had shown more modes started, and also modes started directly from normal play

But i'll try the stop command now and see if it makes any difference.

#463 5 years ago

Unfortunately the stop commands didn't help. Test mode still doesn't stop the music before moving on to voices, and gameplay still wont keep playing the mode specific music, but always reverts back to the main game music after 1 second.

At the very beginning the "Rescue mode" should play, but it only does for about 1 second. After that i start "Meteor" and the initial meteor music should play, but it only does for about 1 second before going back to the main game music.

Log from the filmed attempt: https://pastebin.com/4tzQiJzM

Video from the attempt:

#465 5 years ago

Just did another test with the Ultimate by Pinballshark sound set, and this also had a lot of errors. Sometimes the mode music would not start at all, and other times it actually played just fine. But overall you can hear sounds stopping when they should not, and once in a while it is as if you hear just a short glimpse of a sound that should not have been played. So it is always that feeling of something just being "off" and not triggered correctly. And i am pretty sure the mapping is correct, as every sound in sound test is the correct one.

However i dont quite know how to help from here on? I can make videos of more games and paste the log, but i have a feeling the amount of data from that approach is way too overwhelming. So perhaps it would be a good idea to see if we could get the orgiginal sound set working first, as per my previous post.

#466 5 years ago
Quoted from holminone:

I think the Search the Galaxy music is the same as the command decision select jingle no?

You actually might be right that that specific mode and command decision uses the same music.

#472 5 years ago

Tried correcting the stop command to stop_cmds=0x03e3, but still no luck...

And updating to 1.20 did not make any difference either.

Log from a short test run with the 1.20 update: https://pastebin.com/mnZnHdnH

In the test i tried the sound test menu where music did not stop as it should, and in game i started 2 modes, both had the main theme music playing after 0,5 - 1 second of mode music.

Also, if you turn on the raspisound and have it preloaded and ready BEFORE the pinball machine, when the machine is turned on it starts playing the multiball music for a while, until it is interrupted by the error sounds because of the soundboard interface error. And if you listen REALLY carefully when starting a game and launching the ball, the same multiball music starts playing for about 2/10 of a second. It is barely noticeable, but it is there. And the log shows it as well. Really strange...

All tests done with the original mix for STTNG

#479 5 years ago

If we get reliable sound reproduction, I will definitely want some more So I am exited to hear the sound quality will be improved.

However, until I get it working in my STTNG I will hold back on any further purchases.

But I really hope to see improvements with the new firmware versions that are coming.

#481 5 years ago

1.21 is better but still some issues:

Sound test menu: Stop commands is definately better. Working on my STTNG up until it cycles from the last number back to number 1. When doing that, the engine/ship ambiance sound continues playing at the same time as the tune in the number 1 spot. So perhaps there is more stop commands i need to add to the config?

Gameplay: No apparent changes. Still same issues when starting a game mode. The correct music starts and plays for about 0.5 - 1 second, and then the main gameplay tune kicks in again. All other sounds seem to be ok.

And also the multiball tune still plays when starting the machine

Tested on STTNG with the original mix.

Log from the video: https://pastebin.com/SYZ787vs

Video:

#486 5 years ago

Glad to help, and really awesome to hear. I have a feeling this could be one of the more important fixes (for me anyways)

Unfortunately the missus just went to sleep, and the machine is right next to the bedroom so I won’t be able to test until tomorrow.

And btw, regarding the sound not stopping in sound test, I agree that it is probably not an issue during normal gameplay. I just thought that I would mention it if we were shooting for 100% emulation, and it was just about adding an extra stop command value to the config file.

I will test as soon as I can tomorrow.

#488 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Argh, me wants to test..

What’s keeping you from doing it then?

#490 5 years ago

Hmm, i have a roadshow. Perhaps i should test on that too. But my STTNG have been my primary concern, as I really want to use the ultimate mix by pinballshark. At one time I had a Pinsound board installed in STTNG and really enjoyed that mix.

For me the biggest wish is getting it to run perfectly for STTNG, IJ and TZ as those have some really cool sound sets available.

#494 5 years ago

Mega worked for me after restarting my browser, and there are some real nice improvements in 1.22 for me in my STTNG. It is really really close to being 100% accurate now when using the original mix.

I will try another mix as well before long to see how that goes.

#501 5 years ago

So i had a little time to test another mix on STTNG today (before i blew a coil! - damn it!). And it was much much better on 1.22 than i was used to. When using the Ultimate Mix by Pinballshark, i often ended up with no music during the game modes on previous versions. But with 1.22 i have the correct music in all modes! Yay! This means that for STTNG at least, it seems really really usable now!

Now i just need a 1.23 (or higher) with working sound to test if the latest improvement regarding the multiball music have also been fixed. And if it has i will move on to testing on IJ.

Seems like there is awesome progress these days. Perhaps mostly on Williams DCS machines, but i am confident steve45 will be able to fix the other systems as well.

#503 5 years ago

I can confirm that 1.23 downloaded via MEGA has sound!

And it seems that the bug with multiball music is fixed also, but i will have to do more testing when getting home from work.

#506 5 years ago

Looks really cool. The possibilities are endless

A nice feature would be if you could browse and select the different sound sets on the SD card.

#515 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Steve, can you double check the way the descrambling is done. Indeed, when you compare the sounds played at bumper hit, and the endprodukte video, that's not the same.

Is there any chance you can open up the soundset and identify the wrong sound by name/id, and also what sound name/id should have been played instead?

That is often the best way for steve45 for correct mapping errors. Also if you find the specific ID, i believe you could try correcting the line in the config file and try it out right away?

1 week later
#524 5 years ago

God damn Steve!! This is awesome

I especially like how you can actually adjust volumes on the fly while playing live, or playing back a recorded game. This makes it MUCH easier to finetune a soundsets volumes.

And not having to pull out the SD card or USB stick to add / remove soundsets is so nice! Is it possible to replace single samples "on-the-fly" in a soundset as well?

There is amazing potential here. Perhaps at some point when playing live or playing back a recording you could have som sort of "live log view" showing exactly which sample is being triggered. That way if you had a sound that wasn't correct (like a pop bumber sound on IJ?) you could see the sample number / sample path being triggered and so on. I think this could help taking Raspisound to new levels and hitting as close to 100% emulation as possible across the different systems / vendors.

But i am really psyched about this update!! Awesome work Steve

#526 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Single sample replacement should already be possible as you can add and remove sound files for a sample. Just add the new one first and then remove the old, because its not allowed to remove if there is just one remaining.
On my TODO / NiceToHave list:
- Live log
- Switching the audio devices (more for debugging / diagnostics)
- MQTT integration
But first I will invest in Whitestar support and do some more WPC95 tests.
/Steve

Awesome news about the samples!! But yes, priority should definitely be system support and accuracy.

#527 5 years ago

steve45 Just out of curiosity, but is there any reason the image needs a 16gb SD card? It seems like a lot of space for a small operating system.

Any chance an image could be made that would fit on an 8GB card instead? Perhaps for those that are going to use an USB key for the sound files anyway? I have a couple of them laying around, so it would be perfect for me

#530 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Indeed the image could be smaller, but for those who still want to use the sd card as storage for their sounds, the boot partition need to provide some empty space, because this partition is the only one that is reachable from windows. If you store sounds on USB, I could go even with 4GB, but sd cards of this size are so cheap these days ...
I may can provide two images: big one for sound storage and a small one with only boot file on the first partition. But my list is long ....

I fully understand how that list is always expanding, and everything needs to be prioritized.

And yes the cards are cheap. But as stands today, it seems that to be sure the 16GB image will fit, you have to use 32GB cards. And if you want to buy 32GB cards of a decent quality, they aren't exactly free either

I'll see what options i have, as i really want to try out 1.24

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#533 5 years ago

I will be trying a 32GB sd card that a friend of mine owns later today, as it didn't fit on the 16gb i was already using for raspisound.

Anyhow, the problem should be eliminated when Steve finds the time to create a smaller image

Keep up the good (and very appreciated) work Steve!

#538 5 years ago

Yes, thank you Steve!

However, for me there is still no luck. It is probably my own missing skills causing problems...

But if i write the small image to a 8 or 16gb card the Pi boots (and everything looks ok on the attached monitor), but there is no sound at all. Not even the raspisound announcements.

Hooking an ethernet cable in, and trying to connect to dietpi:31008 doesn't do anything

And unlike when i wrote the 16GB image to a 16gb sd card that it said was too small, i no longer have any windows partition where i can acces the config files to setup wifi. But this could be by design?

So if anyone else have success using the small image, please let me know. Tried writing the 16gb image again to 2 different 16gb sd cards, but both was too small to fit the image according to Win32 Disk Imager, so i was really hoping the small 4gb image would work for me

#540 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Phantasize, did you try to plug the pi to your lan by ethernet and check your router if you see a dietpi device

Yes, and nothing showed up

#542 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Did you config dietpi and dietpi-wifi in boot partition?

Like i wrote, when writing the small image to a 16gb card, none of the partitions were readable from windows afterwards, so i could not configure those files. It boots in the Pi, but no lan / ethernet network seems to work as calling dietpi:31008 from Chrome doesn't work and i don't see any device in my Router called DietPi (which is the default name).

So i am kinda stuck right now, as the small image written to a 16gb card does not work, and both my 16gb cards are too small for the 16gb image. And unfortunately i do not have access to a 32gb sd card right now to test the full image on.

#545 5 years ago

Allright, time for a update. I had a friend of mine successfully shrink the fat32 partition of the full 1.24 image a little, so it now writes to my 16gb card without any errors.

The good thing is that i have the two correct partitions, it boots correctly, and i have sound and access to the WebUI via LAN!

I do however have some minor issues:

1. I only have sound when using the Pi's default output. I have not been able to output sound through my USB sound card, which i was using on the previous versions. I have the use-usb.txt file on the new USB card that holds the sounds like this USBDRIVE/data/use-usb.txt - Perhaps that is the wrong place for it, or it simply isn't needed anymore?

2. Concerning problem 1 above: When i started testing i was able to access the WebUI's config page. But even if i used that page to set the sound device to USB, nothing changed (not even after a restart of the Pi)

3: For some reason i am no longer able to access the Config page via the WebUI. It is empty, and a red error is shown in the bottom of the page saying something like "A problem occured". The other pages of the UI seems to work as they should.

4: I am unable to use wifi, but i am pretty sure that is me not knowing how to configure it correctly via the dietpi and dietpi-wifi files. I'll keep trying

Oh and if you read this Steve, i had a question about adjusting the gain, ducking and individual sound volumes via the UI. Are those changes stored on the fly, or are they not stored at all? Because i don't see any way of saving the changes.

As always your work is extremely appreciated!

#552 5 years ago

Sounds great with the output switching feature in 1.25, as i haven't been able to get USB sound working yet on 1.24.

steve45 can you perhaps tell me if we are still supposed to use the use-usb.txt file for USB output? And if yes, should it be stored on the SD card or the USB key containing the sound files? (Running 1.24)

1 week later
#568 5 years ago

My 2 cents:

I think one of the issues here could be, that we are very dependent on the correct mapping files. And some of the mapping files Steve made earlier had some errors in them that meant some of the sounds were mapped incorrectly. In theory it should be possible to make these our selves, or place the sounds in "non-scrambled" folder names. But this is a humongous task, which is why having the mapping files makes a whole lot of difference.

But by supplying Steve with 3-4 examples of what sound ID was playing, and what sound ID should have been playing, he was able to track down the errors in the mapping files and correct them. I know this because i went through it with Steve for the CFTBL soundsets, where i was comparing the sound set in a "french" setup with the exact same sound set in a RasPiSound setup. And that is actually even better (in my book) than comparing the original soundboard and ROMs to the RasPiSound setup, as this uses the exact same sound set with the exact same categorisations and samples. Remember that there is no guarantee that a sound set is 100% as the original, even if it is labeled as such.

So the more accurate data we can supply, the better Steve can work with it. And this goes for both mapping files, as well as correcting errors. In the 3-4 examples where i have been able to supply Steve with "good data", he have been able to pinpoint and correct the issue within a few days. But i know it can be hard, difficult, and time consuming coming up with some very concrete examples with IDs and stuff.

Still, i really hope this projects makes it the rest of the way to that elusive "100% correct" emulation

Hope the above ramble makes sense, despite my crappy english

#569 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

new hifi dac using i2s sound, no need for extra usb sound, no extra cable

steve45 can you clarify a couple of things for me:

1. With the new hifi dac, is the RaspiSound shield doing the actual sound reproduction (Via the GPIO), instead of the Pi?

2. If yes to the above question, what is the minijack on the new hifi dac used for? Is it an output so that you can connect something like PC speakers / headphones to it if you want?

#579 5 years ago

Seems the github project have been removed, and the mapping files are no longer available from pinball-mods.de

I wonder if this means that the project have been put on hold? I would be very sad to see that...

1 week later
#589 5 years ago

Hey Steve

Any idea about the timeline for the new release? I am really looking forward to try it out in some machines

1 month later
#639 5 years ago

Hi Steve

First of congratulations with the new project name and revision 2.5. This really looks like some awesome progress!

One small question: You mentioned a change in the way soundsets were read / used, and no longer needing the descramble files. Can you tell us a little bit more about this? Will we be able to use existing soundsets, and if yes, will the descramble files be needed?

Once again thank you so much for contributing to the community with these projects!

Oh, and one last thing: I think that now that there is a dedicated page for Tilt!Audio, it would be really nice if there were a dedicated download section on that page, as it can be a little tricky to know where to get image and update files unless you follow this forum

#644 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

you also need to add WiFi credential in the dedicated file at the sdcard root (dietpi-wifi if I remember well)
- plug the pi to the pinball with the shield and launch.
the pi should connect to the WiFi and appear in your router interface , you should be able to connect through your internet browser at IP:31008

No matter what i try, i just can not get it to connect to my wifi. If i plug in an ethernet cable, i can connect and open the web-ui just fine.

I edited the dietpi.txt file and set AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_ENABLED=1

I then edit the dietpi-wifi.txt and use the following:

# - Entry 0
# WiFi SSID (Case Sensitive)
aWIFI_SSID[0]="ASUS_Guest1"
# Key options: If no key (open), leave this blank
aWIFI_KEY[0]=""
# Available options: NONE (no key/open) | WPA-PSK | WEP | WPA-EAP (then use settings below)
aWIFI_KEYMGR[0]="NONE"

I used a completely open network just to eliminate security issues, but i also tested with an encrypted network. My router says the security method is "WPA", so i am guessing that would mean i have to set aWIFI_KEYMGR[0]="WPA-PSK".

The one thing that bothers me the most though, is this line from the dietpi.txt:

# DietPi-Automation settings, applied on the 1st boot of DietPi, ONCE

Does this mean that changes to the file is not read when the image have been burned, and the PI booted for the first time? Because i am not 100% sure that i edited the file before the first boot. So perhaps wifi isn't enabled? But i am pretty sure i made sure to edit it before putting the card in the PI for the first time.

Just wanted to hear if any of you had answers. Otherwise i will have to try the dietpi forum.

#652 5 years ago
Quoted from Twister:

If I start dietpi-config, connected with ethernet cable, I can connect to wifi, and the SSID and password is accepted from the dietpi-wifi.txt. After this, the wifi works correct.

This may be a really dumb question, but how do I start dietpi-config? Do I just hook up a monitor to the pi to get some sort of command prompt? Or do I do it via SSH?

#654 5 years ago

Cool, thank you very much. I will give it a try tomorrow and report back.

#663 5 years ago

I must be a complete idiot, because i am unable to launch dietpi-config, when following the guide. Here is my output from Putty. Perhaps i am just in the wrong directory?

login as: pi
[email protected]'s password:

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
-bash: /DietPi/dietpi/func/dietpi-globals: No such file or directory
-bash: /DietPi/dietpi/login: No such file or directory
pi@DietPi:~ $ sudo -s
bash: /DietPi/dietpi/func/dietpi-globals: No such file or directory
bash: /DietPi/dietpi/login: No such file or directory
root@DietPi:/home/pi# ^C
root@DietPi:/home/pi# dietpi-config
bash: dietpi-config: command not found
root@DietPi:/home/pi#

Any thoughts? I know that this isn't very Tilt!Audio specific, but i'm thinking there could be others that would benefit from the info, if i am just making some simple mistake?

#667 5 years ago

Hmm, my wifi problem is getting weirder and weirder! It seems that my "BOOT" partion (the windows one) includes the dietpi directory, and in that folder the dietpi-config file is found.

I don't have any way of reading the linux partion, but when i SSH to the pi, i can see the dietpi directory. But when i enter it there are no files.

So it is as if my image is totally screwed up?

The strange thing is that the Tilt!Audio botts just fine from the SD, and the WEB-UI loads and can play sound...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#673 5 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

So, if I don't care about using a shaker, do I have to set up WiFi? Sounds like that's where most people problems are

You dont need to use WiFi or the web ui if you don’t want to. It just makes a lot of the settings and volume tweaking a lot easier. But practically every setting can be adjusted via the config files directly on the sd card. That is how it was done previously.

But when Steve added the Web UI he took the usability to a whole other level.

Personally I really want WiFi enabled as that will allow me to put my laptop on a table or machine next to the one I am tweaking. And then be able to tweak and adjust sounds with the Tilt!Audio card mounted in the machine, and listening to the sounds being played on the pinball machines own speakers.

And everyone else seems to have no problems when logging in via SSH, but for some strange reason I just have no luck launching dietpi-config.

#688 5 years ago

I actually got wifi working now

My image must have been bad somehow, as i were never able to run dietpi-config. And it wasn't offered to me when logging in via SSH. But via help from Vimtoman and a new image i got it working

After that i tried downloading the small 1.24 image again for smaller SD cards, as that would be more ideal to me. And even though i think the windows partition in that image is broken somehow (it isn't readable in windows at all), it works and boots in the Pi. I then tried logging in again via SSH, and i was then presented with a "dietpi intro/menu" that told me i could run dietpi-config. So i entered "sudo dietpi-config", and the config script launched! And then it was only a matter of turning on wifi, selecting SSID and entering the correct password. And after removing the ethernet cable and rebooting, i now have WiFi!!

So only "problem" now is the non working windows partition in the small image (if there is supposed to be one?), but this isn't actually a problem, as the Pi reads all data (including update files) from the connected USB stick.

Now i just need to find out if i can actually change the host name to something like STTNG so that i don't have to remember the IP address when connecting.

Thank you to everyone who helped out. It really was extremely simple, one i wasn't working with a corrupt / faulty image. Something must have gone wrong when i tried making the 16gb small enough to fit my 16gb cards.

#692 5 years ago

What exactly are you looking for, in terms of "programming"? I probably won't be able to do a video, but i would be more than happy to perhaps do a write-up of how to get started. But i need to know what you mean exactly, and how far you've come already?

#695 5 years ago

Strange thing is that I used win32diskimager for the two images that actually worked also.

#702 5 years ago
Quoted from gottodrifta:

Hi i have issues getting sound out through shield. Works fine when using HDMI and sound coming out from tv. Have hw1.9, Image 1.24 using a Pi zero with usb soundcard. Have anybody had any success with this combo?

Hi Stefan

I haven't got that exact combo, but i had similar issues on my Pi3 with 1.24. What ended up working for me was updating to the latest 1.25 RC, and then accessing the Web UI. From there i was able to select between a lot of different drivers for the USB sound card, and now it works like a charm. On previous versions i just had the use-usb.txt file.

So i would really suggest hooking up your Pi to the network to access the Web UI. But with all of the problems people have had with the DietPi WiFi setup, it seems that it would be best to start with a cabled connection, and from there SSH to the Pi and run DietPi-config.

I don't know the Pi Zero, but i bet it doesn't have an ethernet connector? And in that case, i actually don't know how you get WiFi working, as there seems to be an error in the DietPi software, that makes it impossible to setup WiFi by editing the txt files. I think steve45 mentioned looking into it , and perhaps come up with something easier. But he is a busy man, so that might take a while. And seeing as DietPi is a finished distribution he is using, it might not be that easy.

Don't suppose you have a ethernet to USB adapter that would allow you to make a cabled ethernet connection to your Pi Zero?

1 week later
#717 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Not sure if this is mentioned anywhere, but as the usb path is device dependent, the license file in this case will only be found if in the sound directory.

Yes, i can confirm that. I am using the small image, combined with a USB stick. And I have all of the sound sets on the USB stick. And with the license key file placed in the sound directory, everything works fine.

#719 5 years ago

Thats great news! Will definitely be ordering one before long.

#723 5 years ago

Hell yeah!! I was hoping for this since I asked you about it a long time ago.

Really looking forward to try it out

3 weeks later
#765 4 years ago

Remember to read the assembly revision for that version, as there is still a couple of small errors: https://tiltaudio.com/2019/04/18/assembly-instructions-for-2-5c-green/

3 weeks later
#791 4 years ago

The equal-dac should give you access to a 10 band equalizer, but i never got that to work on my board. It just keeps saying that the device is busy. I reported it to Steve, but i don't think he has had the time to look into it yet.

I don't remember all of the choices, but i believe there is also one just called dac, which should be just fine if you don't need the eq.

2 weeks later
#819 4 years ago

Could you elaborate for others with the same problem? What is SCP?

4 months later
#974 4 years ago

After booting the Pi, you should see a Tilt!Audio network/hotspot on your laptop / desktop if you have wifi enabled (It can take a little while for it to appear). Connect to this hotspot (the passphrase is "tiltaudio"). You can now access the WebUI via the following URL:

http://192.168.42.1/:31008

In the WebUI you should be able to configure the Wifi, save it and then reboot. You can now connect via http://tiltaudio:31008/

If http://tiltaudio:31008/ doesn't work, figure out the Pi's IP address and use that instead: http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:31008/

https://tiltaudio.com/2019/05/11/whats-new-with-firmware-1-25/

3 months later
#1055 4 years ago

I think STTNG is one of the few games that actually works close to 100%. It didn't at first, but i did a lot of debugging with Steve, and Steve found a couple of problems in the firmware. And it was then fixed. Along with setting the correct stop commands it got pretty close to 100%. CFTBL was the same. After some debugging with Steve, we found out that the descrambling files wasnt correct.

I still believe that the descrambling / decoding of existing soundsets poses a big problem. People are under the impression that they can use sound sets created by the community for the commercial product. And in some cases they can, but definitely not all are descrambled correctly.

And i dont think anyone has actually done a new sound set from scratch for Tilt Audio via M1 and the other needed tools.

4 months later
#1091 3 years ago

The latest link Steve posted on the slack channel for 1.29 was this: https://mega.nz/#!ZkJj2QwJ!Bi3eY7NKQ8NPYBnM2nCmrWp0_pJV5U6xe15R5yH1WZU

6 months later
#1193 3 years ago

Has anyone successfully used the 2.8 / 3.0 board in a Indiana Jones? I just assembled mine, and wanted to try it out in my IJ. But unfortunately there are lots of errors.

First of all, i DO have sound. And pretty often, the correct sound is triggered. But the volumes are sometimes VERY low. As in at the point where you can only hear them if are really really quiet. I should mention that i am using a good pair of headphones attached to the minijack on the DAC. When i play the same sounds that are really low while in game via the WebUI, the volumes are fine.

Another issue is that for some reason the choose wisely tune plays a lot more than it should. It is often running in the background instead of the original theme tune.

All of the above has been testet via the old style IJ Reorchestrated soundset, and the 2 altsound packs (Original and reorchestrated).

So i am really curious if anyone have confirmed IJ working perfectly?

Another small note: As in my STTNG, i get a sound board interface error. This is annoying, but i can live with that. But i am wondering about one thing: When you enter the menu on a WPC machine, 4 dongs / chimes is played to alert you that there is an error. But with the Tiltaudio, all 4 sounds are rarely heard. Sometimes just 1. Other times, 1 2 and 4. It is as if sounds played too quickly in succession does not work. Perhaps this is a simple configuration thing i have overlooked?

I would love to hear you thoughts on the above

#1195 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Sucessfully tested in my IJ with altsound packs

Does your IJ also sound right when you go into the test menu? Assuming you get the sound board interface error?

It sounds really strange that it works in your machine, and not mine? I am running the latest firmware, with a clean install.

#1197 3 years ago

I havent tried that yet, but will see if i can try it tonight. But that shouldnt affect the wrong sounds being played. And i would think the volume via the DAC should not be any different than the volume from the internal speakers.

#1199 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

did a sound test in the test menu and all sounds were played back correctly.

Thanks. Do you get the sound board interface error? And if yes, do you hear the 4 chimes everytime you enter the menu?

#1202 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

can you please state the version. I did a lot of changes these days. and volume control was still with some bugs, therefore a number would be nice.

I am using 1.30rc23 - The WebUI says that is the latest version.

2 weeks later
#1247 3 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

And the WPC communication timing issue won't be a problem now?

I tested the v3 board in my IJ but unfortunately had some problems. I posted about it earlier, but have not been able to find an answer.

I would still like to hear if others with a tilt audio board, successfully hears all 5 "dings" when entering the test menu, and there is an error? With my tilt audio board, i have never been able to hear all 5 "dings". There is always one or 2 of them missing. And this seems to suggest that there is something still a little of in the triggering / timing / emulation. It is a really simple sound, so i would think it should be able to play correctly.

And i know that a few missing "dings" doesn't affect gameplay, but perhaps identifying the underlying issue could help with potential issues during gameplay, and move it a little closer to that coveted 100% emulation

#1248 3 years ago

A friend of mine is interrested in trying out a TiltAudio board in his Sega Apollo 13 machine. Does anyone have any experience with that?

3 weeks later
#1284 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

I have now tried a couple of cards in IJ as well.
Here I get missing sounds, wrong music and other bugs.
For example the grail music starts playing instead of the standard music.
Music keeps playing when ball goes into through.
Etc. etc.

I have the same issue with a 3.0 board, latest firmware and 2 different PI's in my IJ. I posted about it earlier. Never found out why.

I was so happy when the new 3.0 boards was released, and Steve started posting in here again. I thought the progress sounded awesome. But the fact is that I have now bought 3 different board revisions, and none of them works without some form of glitches. One of them was actually assembled by Steve himself, but still had issues. I know there is a chance it is just me that isn't skilled enough to make it work, but i don't think so based on other peoples reports.

So i think i might as well just cut my losses, and stop trying. It just pains me, as i think this project is really awesome and promising. And compared to the french variant actually have a lot of nice extra features in the WebUI and so on.

1 week later
#1349 3 years ago

Yup, unfortunately that is something you will have to live with. Hopefully Steve can eliminate that in later versions. The other brand figured it out, so hopefully Tiltaudio would be able to eliminate it as well.

#1357 3 years ago
Quoted from JBBOPT:

Will the board interface error show up and if so will it cause a credit dot?

Yes and yes.

#1373 3 years ago

It's nice to hear about your progress. Keep it up

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vienna, VA
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider phantasize.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi?tu=phantasize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.