rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1176 3 years ago

Assembled my TiltAudio 2.8. I'll skip the issue with my aux power connector in my CFTBL (which for some reason did not want to play nice - took me a while to trace where it was coming from), it is now up and running, BUT I don't have sound...

Where I stand:
- TiltAudio WebUI is working, I can access it and I can access the log
- I have connected a headset directly to the jack output, for monitoring. At startup I hear the notice sound (in the headset, not in the speaker), and then nothing. If I try to hit "play" in the sounds menu, I get a message stating "playing sound xxx", but there's no sound, either in the headset or in the speaker
- With regards to the speaker, I did not change them yet. As it's a pre-DCS WPC, there are two speakers in //, and the cabinet speaker in series. What I have done is simply to solder a wire to the black/yellow plug of the right speaker, and insert that wire in the plug adjacent to the black wire, so I get yellow/black on the two leftmost pins of the backbox header on TiltAudio. In theory this 'should' work...

So... a few questions before I start debugging this further:
- What is the default Audio device to use for the onboard TiltAudio amplifiers ? Currently set to "equal-dac"
- Should the sound output to both the onboard amplifier and the line out jack ? From what I can understand of the schematics the answer should be yes ?
- why do I get a sound at boot but not afterward ?
- With regards to my speaker wiring, is there any indication this wiring is correct/incorrect ? I based it on WPC schematics wiring, available here: http://dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_replacement.html

and more specifically the attached wiring diagram. I essentially wired a cable from the + pin of the left speaker to the Pin N°4 on the corresponding J504 female wire connector (so black is connected to Pin N°2 and yellow/black to Pin N°4). This should effectively route all signals from the left channel to all speakers.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1178 3 years ago

Just to be clear: they are connected accordingly to the silkscreen on the PCB. It's just that WPC original wiring is rather odd, so I have to adapt to connect correctly.

That said I resolved my issue. I had a mating issue between the male and female connectors for the speaker, so it was causing a no connection. This has been resolved (I changed the connector), and it's working fine.

Now on to fine-tuning the levels, but it's already a big improvement even with original speakers (I'll order replacement speakers later on).

It's super cool to be able to adjust the levels dynamically, way better than a Pinsound in that respect.

Just wondering though: what means exactly 'ducking by type' in the 'sound' tab?

3 weeks later
#1229 3 years ago

The fuse rating seems a little bit on the low side, 1A on the 18VAC line, it burned after two weeks. Unless I have a fault somewhere, but the circuitry seems relatively simple and I checked all soldering and signals and it seems good.

Is this a fast blow or slow blow?

#1233 3 years ago
Quoted from Markharris2000:

So a single set for ONE machine is maybe $75 all in (without the RaspPi board)? I thought the "five pieces" referred to all the individual boards, displays, usb audio sticks, etc.

Exactly. It's way cheaper than a Pinsound

BUT, bear in mind, this is not PnP, you need to know how to solder, and potentially to debug. Be prepared for that. There's a reason Pinsound is more expensive, it's literally PnP, you have warranty, and it's a 10 min install

On the flip side, Tiltaudio capabilities are more extensive

That said, I'm using Tiltaudio

#1234 3 years ago

Damn, looks like the 12v regulator on my Tiltaudio is dead.

Anyone has experienced something similar? Any pointer to a quick to get replacement part?

Thanks

#1236 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

ebay has a lot of suppliers for these. You need to adjust the converter to 12V before use in TA
ebay.com link » Lm2596s Dc Dc Spannungsregler Step Down Converter Regler Einstellbar 1 2v 30v 3a

Thanks, I checked the schematics and found out that Amazon has both packs for the 12V regulator and the 5V regulator.

Now one additionnal question: is there any specific tips and tricks for the "upload sound package" functionality ?
Specifically, I downloaded the recently released altsound pack for Creature (available on vpinball), and when I try to use the "upload package", I get the following in the log file:

"
2021-01-11 10:37:46.135 DEBUG MHD-sing [initPostProcessor] [httpservice.c:608] init post processor of type SOUNDSET_UPLOAD_POST
2021-01-11 10:37:46.135 DEBUG MHD-sing [initPostProcessor] [httpservice.c:621] post processor 679ff008
2021-01-11 10:37:46.143 DEBUG MHD-sing [requestHandler] [httpservice.c:1632] url: /soundsets, method: POST, version: HTTP/1.1, contentType: multipart/form-data; boundary=----WebKitFormBoundaryW4ZcBDAsB0s7T8yd, upload_data: 67b007ac, size: 1460, connCtx: 0x67b9bd60
2021-01-11 10:37:46.143 DEBUG MHD-sing [handleContextRequests] [httpservice.c:1592] POST req count 1, size 1460
2021-01-11 10:37:46.143 DEBUG MHD-sing [handleContextRequests] [httpservice.c:1612] calling post processor callback 0x679ff008
2021-01-11 10:37:46.143 DEBUG MHD-sing [uploadSoundsetPostCallback] [httpservice.c:289] connCtx: 0x67b9bd60, kind: 4, key: file, filename: , contentType: application/octet-stream, TransferEncoding: (null), data: 0x679ff070, off: 0, size: 0
2021-01-11 10:37:46.143 DEBUG MHD-sing [uploadSoundsetPostCallback] [httpservice.c:316] writing file /boot/data/sound/1.zip
2021-01-11 10:37:46.144 DEBUG MHD-sing [uploadSoundsetPostCallback] [httpservice.c:289] connCtx: 0x67b9bd60, kind: 4, key: options, filename: (null), contentType: (null), TransferEncoding: (null), data: 0x679ff070, off: 0, size: 2
2021-01-11 10:37:46.144 ERROR MHD-sing [uploadSoundsetPostCallback] [httpservice.c:307] no file key provided -> abort
2021-01-11 10:37:46.144 DEBUG MHD-sing [requestHandler] [httpservice.c:1632] url: /soundsets, method: POST, version: HTTP/1.1, contentType: multipart/form-data; boundary=----WebKitFormBoundaryW4ZcBDAsB0s7T8yd, upload_data: 67b007ac, size: 2920, connCtx: 0x67b9bd60
2021-01-11 10:37:46.144 DEBUG MHD-sing [handleContextRequests] [httpservice.c:1592] POST req count 2, size 2920
2021-01-11 10:37:46.144 DEBUG MHD-sing [handleContextRequests] [httpservice.c:1612] calling post processor callback 0x679ff008
2021-01-11 10:37:46.144 DEBUG MHD-sing [requestHandler] [httpservice.c:1632] url: /soundsets, method: POST, version: HTTP/1.1, contentType: multipart/form-data; boundary=----WebKitFormBoundaryW4ZcBDAsB0s7T8yd, upload_data: 67b007ac, size: 2920, connCtx: 0x67b9bd60
2021-01-11 10:37:46.144 DEBUG MHD-sing [handleContextRequests] [httpservice.c:1592] POST req count 3, size 2920
2021-01-11 10:37:46.144 DEBUG MHD-sing [handleContextRequests] [httpservice.c:1612] calling post processor callback 0x679ff008
"

followed by hundred of similar of lines, and it never stops, to the point that my log file gets bigger and bigger. I also don't see any progress bar, is there supposed to be one ?

The file is a zip file of the sound package folder (so one folder up)

Am I missing something ?

#1237 3 years ago

So in debugging my problem on the 12V regulator, it's behaviour is relatively odd:
- At 18V DC input it's working
- At 22V DC input it's not working at all

Turns out that I have 22V DC input (or output from the rectifier), which explains why it's not working when put in the pinball, but working when I power it from my lab power supply (which was set to 18V).

From the specs it should be able to accomodate up to 30V, so it seems to me it's dead.

Sidenote: am I right to assume the PIN2DMD connectors are to power a PIN2DMD from TiltAudio (instead of using an alternate connector on the power board, such as J118) ? If so, I would tend to think the power regulator is slightly under rated for the usage, as a PIN2DMD is about 10W peak, so 1A, leaving 2A for the amplifiers, which are powered at 12V, so 24W. Even without a PIN2DMD connected, that's only 36W for the amplifiers, that seems rather low ? Or am I misled and amplifier power consumption is way lower than 2A anyway ?

Unfortunately I could not find a much higher current DC-DC 12V regulator in a similar form factor, if anyone has a pointer that would be welcome

I did find much higher amp regulator (8A or 10A) though, but they use screw in connectors, and their footprint is slightly bigger. i'll take a look to see if I can adapt it

#1239 3 years ago

Thanks, that's what I suspected. I'm not powering Pin2DMD through Tilt Audio anyway, so that does not explain why my regulator broke

Feedback for steve45 , it would be nice if instead of using male header pins to connect the various additionnal PCBs (regulators, amplifiers and so one), you would use female headers similar to these on the attached picture, this would allow for much easier replacement in case of one component dying.

It's probably even possible as is, by using the pins headers and removing one of the pin since there is no hole), just need to supply them (come to think of it, I'll order a bunch)

Also, I worked around my issue for uploading the altsound sound package by adding it manually.

However I would have the following questions:

- I get a bunch of errors in the log file, such as " 2021-01-13 14:08:38.549 ERROR MHD-sing [getFileSize] [fileutil.c:412] stat call on /boot/data/sound/cftbl_l4/ok failed "

All failed files are in the jingles section. Yet they are accessible afterward through the WebUI, and can be played back.

- How does the "serial" command in the case of altsound package ? I bought the TiltAudio full media package for Creature, and when checking the file structure I see that there are serial.txt files in various folders, which are used to trigger multimedia command, but how would that work for an altsound package for which all files are in a common folder with a CSV file ?

- On the topic of the media player : any specific reason why both TiltAudio and multimedia playback for the video mod under the Creature window could not be combined into a single HW unit ? That would make it easier for installation (just need an HDMI cable from the RPI to the display)

3 weeks later
#1272 3 years ago

So just to be clear, you get sound and music and call outs, but there is a specific sound which is played at some point where it should not?

#1286 3 years ago

I have a 3.0 board I assembled myself, full kit acquired through Steve.

Installed in a CFTBL. I originally had a specific callout being played randomly, and music stopping, as if it was missing a command. But for some reason over the last few weeks it has been working flawlessly (can't remember the version though I'll check tomorrow).

The core of false detection is likely a bus detection issue, which could be cause by multiple reasons, such as signal integrity, code missing detection (RPI is not a real time system).

I'm using a RPI3 Model A+

So I don't know what made it work, but I'm glad it does

It's just kind of shame that Steve is not very active in supporting the project, although to his defense he's probably not making a lot of money to justify the engineering investment (unlike Pinsound who charges a fortune). Also Steve has been actively developping a new version of PIN2DMD Editor which brings 64 colors capability, and the capability to develop colorization for Stern SAM, so I assume he did not have much time to spend on TiltAudio. Maybe if his code was open source other contributors would start looking into it and debug it more actively. But I know of a few not happy individuals on the Facebook french group that tried the solution and could not make it work.

A few suggestions:
- Besides the SMD components, check that all resistors are soldered correctly, reflow all of the connections, including headers
- if you have a RPI4, just install it (hopefully Steve can transfer the licence without charging), it's higher speed might be beneficial for more reliable command detection (completely shooting in the dark here to be honest).

@steve45, if you're reading this thread, it would be good if you could comment and assist with some guidance based on the logs.

#1290 3 years ago

@steve45, I believe you have slightly misread my comment.

I did state specifically that you were not making a lot of money on this project, if at all. And I stated a few reasons as to why you might have been slow in responding, time being the main issue.

So if you understood that I was stating that you should support because you were making money, this was not my intention, apologies for that. We all fully understand this is an diy project, and you have other obligations.

I even advertised tiltaudio on some French Facebook groups, starting it was clearly for the experienced individuals, but worth it if you had the skills.

However, the fact remains that some people fail to make it work (that's not my case, it does work), and raised questions that are currently pending. I don't know the ratio of success VS failure though, so this might be that success ratio is higher than what we see on pinside.

Let's hope these questions get answered with a root cause identified so that everyone benefits from the knowledge

Regards

#1294 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

The problem is that if it works you will not read anything about it. Only issues or complaints are posted publicly.

Very true. Although to my defense I did post publicly that is was working just fine for me (although I did have some unexplained behaviour at the beginning, which disappeared after I replaced my 12v regulator and I reflowed several solder points).

Anyway, as stated, apologize for the poor choice of words on my part.

Regards

#1311 3 years ago

Good morning/evening gentlemen,

I have a CFTBL, a PIN2DMD (replacing the original Plasma), and a v3.0 board (assembled by me, but components provided by Steve).

As it turns out, I stated above that I experienced glitches (music not playing sometimes, wrong callout being used, etc), which disappeared after I did a resolder. I assumed that I had a trace connection problem somewhere, story closed.

However the issue reappeared. Relatively often.

Now an earlier comment from Steve stated that clock speed was likely not an issue, as bus interface was relatively low compared to acquisition speed of the RPI.

In the case of bus acquisition, all data provided by a few users on this thread indicate there is a reasonably wide variety of HW configurations (different boards, different RPI, different pinball machines), and all exhibit failures in some form. True, we don't know whether this is widespread to other users, but if I take a look at what I experienced, I would probably not have raised the issue since it was random, unless I had been reading this thread.

All these failures lead to data acquisition failure, which could be caused by:
- Signal integrity (only way to know for sure is to hook up an oscilloscope at the input of the buffers - did not check what was used), not really practical for most people, and given the design very unlikely (there is no Y connection, it's a straight end to end with impedance matching from what I could see), unless there's noise on the power supply lines (which would be again unlikely since power for Tiltaudio is provided directly through a rectifier bridge taken from 20VAC, and it has it's own power rails)
- the RPI missing it's time slice for acquisition, or data input is garbled

Disclaimer: what follows is pure speculation on my side, however it is based on professional experience on the usage of SoC type devices for similar type of application (ie time sensitive).

I have a strong suspicion this is related to the notion of "Real Time OS", as in "Hard real time". This is not about speed (well sort of), it's about scheduling. With an RT-OS, scheduling can be set in such a way that no matter what, a specific thread/process will have it's allocated timeslot, whatever the timeslot is (within reason of course). Linux is not an RT OS, so even if you set priority of a specific thread to high, there is a chance that another thread will stall the scheduling, thus creating the critical thread to miss it's timeslot.

Also, if you have multiple inputs and read them into independent threads, there are chances that the aggregation of these inputs could be offset (so for example in the case of GPIO reading, you read GPIO1, then GPIO2, etc, then combine them into a single byte, but the timeslot of GPIO2 might be offset relative to GPIO1, resulting into a byte failure).

More information here:
https://www.guru99.com/real-time-operating-system.html

A real RT-OS is pretty hard to deal with for complex tasks, so the Linux kernel group has developed a set of "semi RT" patches, known as "preempt RT patches", which essentially are scheduler patches to provide some real time capabilities, within limits.

Details here:
https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_Patch

and a link to a RPI Preempt RT patch documentation (rather old though):
https://lemariva.com/blog/2018/02/raspberry-pi-rt-preempt-tutorial-for-kernel-4-14-y

I don't know if the base BSP (OS) used by Steve for TiltAudio has those patches installed, but if it does not, adding these patches to the kernel could potentially increase reliability of the bus acquisition. It would require however some engineering investment, since you would need to recompile the kernel with the patches (should be straightforward), and probably implement change in the thread management of the application to define those that are critical to those that are not (probably less straightforward - although I can't comment, while I know the principle of operation I'm not a SW developer).

But IMO it's worth a shot.

I've had similar issues on ARM57/ARM53 type SoC, which when used in time critical environnement failed precisely because of that reason. In my case, as the constraints were severe (aero), they had to go the "hard" way by using a specific Linux BSP completely designed for Real time (for those interested, called Redhawk from Concurrent Technologies)

Note: increasing clock speed and CPU efficiency reduces the likelihood of this type of occurence, simply because everything runs faster so the chances of a thread blocking another thread to execute are smaller, however from the architecture standpoint it is not guaranteed. So replacing with a RPI4 might help in this case (coincidentally, this is also recommended by Steve for Bluetooth operation anyway)

Another alternative would be to look at CPU affinity, essentially locking all non critical processes to "general" cores, and lock the acquisition threads (or any time critical process) to the last available core, dedicated sorely for that purpose. This will however not necessarily improve if the thread stalling is happening because of internal bus contention within the SoC (in which case even if you have a CPU core completely available, if the GPIO block is used by another thread on another core, it could block access), but it's also worth a shot

So a path of investigations would be:
- Use a RPI4 just to decrease contention ratio: easily achievable by every user, at least for testing
- Implement CPU affinity (some details here: https://www.xmodulo.com/run-program-process-specific-cpu-cores-linux.html ). Probably need a little bit of guidance from Steve to identify the processes that we would want to pin to a specific CPU (and use all others for the other processes).

Some details here: https://www.xmodulo.com/run-program-process-specific-cpu-cores-linux.html

- Implement Preempt RT patches if they are not already enabled, and if they are check how the SW is defining priority for the data acquisition thread. Significant investment on Steve side, so to use only as a last resort (and assuming this issue is more widespread than originally thought)

Apologies if what I'm writing above has already been considered and implemented, in which case this idea is completely moot.

On my side anyway I wanted to upgrade to a RPI4, at least for Bluetooth range, so I'll test it anyway (when I receive my RPI4)

Regards

#1316 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

lucky1 Ok, these are straight, unaltered, directly downloaded from http://altsound.vpin24.com/ and directly extracted to the SD card which is freshly formatted/installed from the 1.32 firmware archive downloaded from TiltAudio.
I have not changed anything along the way - this is a pure stock installation.
I would be surprised if the altsound package was wrong and no one had noticed this before ?
Would anyone using TiltAudio and altsound package on IJ be able to comment on this ?

I tested on my virtual pinball the Indiana Jones altsound package, and I did not experience issues with missing music and odd sounds.

As for the plane sound (left ramp) , for me I can only get the machine gun sound to play, regardless of the package (pinsound or altsound), except the first shot in the ramp where I hear the plane engine roar. But this happens with the stock sound rom as well, so not sure if there's an issue or if it's expected behavior.

#1328 3 years ago

Thanks for these useful feedbacks. You are right, timing issues should not cause a ghost command like x186 sound being played (what would 186 correspond to in terms of bus data anyway ?)

With regards to RTPatch, I'll take a look. As mentioned I'm not a SW developer so my programming skills are rusty beyond any measure, but I did compile Linux kernel to add some modules in the past, so hopefully I can make that work

Regards

#1330 3 years ago

@steve45, Dietpi at first launch allows you to specify a lot of options for your installation, I started with the minimal image. Did you add any specific components that would have a kernel impact (I've seen in the log file that there is a script overwriting the first kernel used to boot, so I assume they adapt the kernel based on installation)

uname -r results into 5.4.83-v7+

[EDIT] Unfortunately, the last maintained branch for RT patches on a RPI kernel is 4.19. Adding the RT patches to a more recent branch is doable, but if not maintained by the RPI community is probably not a good approach.

Since kernel transition from 4.x to 5.x took place in August 2020, would it be fine to start from an earlier DietPi build, and if so which one is a good starting point ?

[EDIT2] indeed the preempt RT patches do not seem to work on kernel 5.x and RPI3 (it does on RPI4, but only 64b kernel has been tested), and it has not been a focus of the kernel dev, so I don't expect it will be resolved

#1336 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

I've build an rt-kernel 4.19 and successfully booted pi3 with latest image. You can download it here: https://tiltaudio.com/file/rt-kernel.
The tgz archive can be installed onto a regular image and you get a "Linux TiltAudio 4.14.91-rt49-v7+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Tue Feb 16 14:45:38 CET 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux" and also TILT!Audio starts.
The tgz overrides all bcm* driver files in the root of the boot partition and also the overlay directory. I've not tested if the new (old) overlays also works with the new 5.x kernel (I assume not, so either create a backup or just reinstall the whole image).
To active the RT kernel you need to add the line kernel=kernel7-rt.img in config.txt on the boot partition (windows partition). The kernel was compiled for Pi3 and is only for testing. I will not support using this kernel together with TILT!Audio, just want to support further testing.

Thanks, I'll run a test on my CFTBL (once it's back up and running) to compare the logs

#1338 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

ashram56 i this something I should try too ?

Absolutely. My CFTBL sometimes exhibit the behaviour, but sometimes works very well, while on yours the failure is consistent. So if you can try it that would give a data point

[EDIT] As of course, now that I want to run a test, it's working flawlessly... So I can't really compare behaviour.
[EDIT2] There is an interesting read on WiringPi, priority and interrupt management : http://wiringpi.com/reference/priority-interrupts-and-threads/

#1341 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

@asharam56 steve45 RT kernel made no difference.

Crap, that was a good hypothesis, but unfortunately proved wrong.

#1352 3 years ago

Just for reference, I'm Tiberium contact, and indeed on my CFTBL I don't see any sound error or sound check.

But I use a modified rom (from http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/4173-creature-from-the-black-lagoon-l-4c-competition-mod/), not sure if they disabled something

1 week later
#1400 3 years ago

Robotworkshop

One suggestion I would have to determine whether TiltAudio interprets things differently with regards to altsound format parsing is simply to run VPX with the same table, with PinMame sound mode set to 1 (if I recall correctly, might be set to 2).

If it's identical you can then proceed to look at Pinmame source code

#1403 3 years ago

Robotworkshop

Altsound format was originally developer for VPX and Pinmame, it's not emulating TiltAudio. However the format itself is identical, so by reading you can understand what parameters are taken into account and how.

To adress your concern about implementation discrepancy (and there could be), as a starting point you could look at whether you encounter the same issues with VPX+Pinmame (if I recall not honoring some parameters in the CSV file ?).

If you do find the same behaviour, your starting point can therefore indeed be PinMame source to understand the limitations
If you don't, then this means indeed there is a different implementation/parsing in TiltAudio firmware, which would give a reference point

Regards

1 week later
#1439 3 years ago
Quoted from Tiberium:

That's why I would like someone to be able to modify the rom so that this check is not done.

With regards to this issue, has anyone identified how the check is being done (using a Logic analyzer or such), ie which signals are being used and how ?

#1445 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

There is some information out there. You can just look at the freeWPC source code or the pinmame source to get an understanding, what is happening in the boot sequence. It basically always comes down to the bus interface is bi-directional and some boot code expects a type code and a version from the sound board. If the sound board keeps quiet while booting you get an "sound board interface error".
But I want to reassure (did I mention it here in this forum?) that I'm working on a solution. So for the ones that are really affected by this (only a few roms actually do the check) , stay tuned there will be an improvement on this.
Br Steve

Cool, good to know, thanks. I was otherwise going to work on a version using a CPLD replacing the logic blocks between the header and the RPI, but since you're already on it.

Cheers

#1451 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I am interested in using the 13 Doctors mix and had asked the person who created it if it was ok to use. He is very active on the Dr Who thread on Pinside. Unless there is something I missed as long as I ask the person who did all the work on the original sound set it should be fine.

Is this another mix for Dr Who ? I seem to recall there are some already existing sound package on altsound.

Dr Who is definitely one of those that require an alternate sound pack, the original sound is... well... something.

#1453 3 years ago

There are a bunch of options for Dr Who. I know of a couple that were already setup as alt sound packs. However there is a new 13 doctors mix that is supposed to be really cool. There are also at least 3 or 4 different other mixes. If the 13 doctors works then I will ask the author of the others if he minds if his sounds are used in this application.

To be fair, this is a legal grey area , since the original sound pack authors do not own the rights in the first place anyway... So authorization is not theirs to give, unless it's their media (and for that matter, strictly speaking, it's unlikely they have the right either, it's just that everyone is closing their eyes - guess that's why these soundpacks are on a community website... )

#1455 3 years ago

Understand that and the permission refers more to the index and what sounds in the pack are played for what code the MPU in the machine asks for. That is one piece the author of that pack spent quite a bit of time on.

ah indeed. On a sidenote I had not realized that you could extract that info from the scrambled package, that's good news indeed

#1461 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

It runs as a docker container. You can pull it from docker hub: sker65/despi:latest then just run:
docker run --rm -it -v <basedir-of-your-soundpack>:/data sker65/despi /bin/sh -c 'cd /data; cp /app/2.key .; /app/despi_srv -T test.csv /data'
Test will be the name of the altsound sound pack that gets created within the original sound pack directory. Docker image is provided without warranty or support.

Superb

And using Docker on top of it is the ice on the cake, no dependency issue, no messing up existing installation.

Cheers

#1463 3 years ago

Good afternoon,

Probably known by many, but I discovered the following repository from Steve:
https://github.com/sker65/tiltaudio-extensions

Basically simple code that allows you to control external HW mods with an arduino for example based on sound commands, using LUA scripts which send commands over I2C, which are then monitored by an Arduino to react upon.

Game driven Pinstadium anyone ?

Now I need to go out and buy a few ledstrips... and a shaker... And create a package based on this to control those toys.

#1469 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Ever saw my website or youtube channel? there are a couple of blog posts and tutorial videos about this: https://tiltaudio.com/?s=github

I must admit I have a bad habit. I tend to jump in first before reading the manual... So... I had seen that many months ago, then forgot about it, then thought about this idea, which of course did not trigger any memory because I'm getting old, so started digging into it, and stumbled thanks to google search on your github...

Oh well, at least I did not ask a stupid question on this thread.

It's a pretty cool setup truth be told. And I have yet to play around with the WebUI, seems I can do a lot of things in it without having to go through LUA if I understand correctly.

I'll quickly prototype something using WS2812 ledstrip and an arduino, plenty of potential here (and very little time...)

Cheers

#1476 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Think of it as more an act of goodwill - one is much more likely to get assistance or updates if one does not have a reputation for taking people's hard work for granted.

To clarify, my point was not about not_ asking permission to the sound pack author (out of courtesy as you point out), but on the fact that just because they give their permission does not, strictly speaking, cover the rights to use it, since they don't own the rights in the first place.

#1482 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

steve45 is there an index that shows which sound sets have been descrambled and for which there exits a config.raspisnd ?

http://altsound.vpin24.com/

Regards

1 week later
#1500 3 years ago

Has anyone developed a small PCB board for Arduino to interface on the Tiltaudio expansion port and drive different toys (shaker, leds, etc)?

I know it's super easy to do on a breadboard, but I thought it would be nice to have something clean.

If no one did it I'll quickly whip up something

And on that note, I understand that for Stern Whitestar you need an adapter PCB/cable. Anyone would have a pointer to this adapter?

2 weeks later
#1501 3 years ago

OK, found the adapter on Steve website.

I was also told that Pinsound adapter does work, and since I have a Pinsound in my LOTR I already have the cable.

So next question is: as I intend to replace Pinsound with TiltAudio in my LOTR (primarily because P...d is completely closed and does not allow to hook up on their expansion port, despite the fact it's present, that they are using community orchestration for Shakers - so called shakerization - but obfuscate them and integrate them into their firmware without giving credit to the original authors, etc), I already have the cable so don't need an extra one.

So which kit can I order to get Whitestar support ? I'm assuming WPC ?

#1515 3 years ago

Nice work,

What's cool with this module approach is that you can use headers instead of soldering directly, which means you can easily replace one module if needs be

#1520 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

first browser language settings are relevant, but I guess you're right if not matched the default is german. that should be changed. also if you switch it should set a cookie, which gives you same language settings next time

Ah that's a cookie on the local machine, that explains why it does not stick for me either. I believe I have a reinforced security setting enabled by default for cookies, will have to check (if I can recall where in the world this is located)

2 weeks later
#1551 2 years ago

For reference and anyone interested, I found this nice shield:

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002091633431.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7e0c6c37c7xgdb

(see block diagram below)

Which would make a very nice shield for a shaker/ledstrip interface (from TiltAudio to Seeedstudio Xiao)

You of course need to add a Seeedstudio Xiao to it (super small), and a motor controller should you need to add a shaker.

#1553 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

For udp networking you would definitely require some other sort of controller that monitor the switch and then send an event back to the TILT!Audio board. I could think of an easier solution based on I2C but that's not available at the moment. And it would still required another controller that sends (or responds to) i2c commands and monitors the switch.

I would assume there are some spare GPIOs on the RPI, right ? So conceptually it should be possible to hook up one of the switch, probably needs to add a little bit of logic glue in between (similar to what PinLightShield does, using the two switch signals and some flip-flop).

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1570 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

so easyEda ist free and works in every browser and the changes you suggested are really not difficult to do. a perfect starting point to get familiar with modern layout tools

EasyEDA is indeed super cool.

One question though before I start making mistakes... When editing in EasyEDA, when saving I get the option of saving for "everyone", or just for "me". Just for the sake of clarification, your design should be read only, right ? (in any case I'll only save for me, but just want to make sure a mistake hitting the wrong button will cause a problem)

I also do have two additionnal questions:

- I can't figure how to select the symbol for the OLED display. I can click on all other symbols used (and get their pinout), but whenever I click on the DISPLAY-OLED, well nothing happens, I can't select it. Which means I can't duplicate it (wanted to duplicate to use the same connector and just rotate it - alternatively I could create another symbol with an identical pinout but that would be odd). Am I missing something ? Did you add the vias manually directly in the gerber ?

- I can't figure out where the GND signals in the gerber display has gone. For ex if I move the switch button connector and run DRC check I can see conflict with GND, but where in the world is the GND plane display... Granted it's an EasyEDA feature, I'll dig into the documentation (as it's probably something obvious), just raising it for everyone benefit

Regards

#1583 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

mouser has this one for example: https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Bourns/4610X-102-470LF and a couple of others

Farnell nor RS have them for some reason (at least could not find them

I did some more testing and the latest V1.34 seems to run ok on a Rpi 3B+ board set to Data East mode. However the audio breaks up when I try it on a 3A+ board. If I go to version 1.32 on the 3A+ then that runs fine too.
Have you tried the latest V1.34 on a 3A+ as part of your testing?

For what it's worth 3A+ works fine on Wpc89 with 1.35. Not what you asked, I know

#1592 2 years ago

I must be completely dense, but... looking at the oshwlab version, I see no GND traces/planes anywhere. All GND nets appear as unconnected on the gerber file. Likewise, when viewing the gerber file through an external gerber file viewer (after generation by Easy EDA), I see no connection between the GND nets

Am I missing something ?

On a sidenote, same applies to older revision, like TA 3.0, which is why I'm super puzzled

#1594 2 years ago
Quoted from PinNerd:

Ashram56, the pours/planes were hidden by EasyEDA when I opened the project but setting “Copper Zone” to visible (in the “Other” panel on the right side) solved that. They were also present in the gerber set that I downloaded and opened with an external viewer. There is no thermal relief for the plane connections which is not going to make soldering so easy. Maybe that’s a limitation of the tool. Not sure since I never used it before.

Thanks, now that's better indeed, this was driving me crazy. I had not thought of checking the GND plane visibility itself

Also indeed it's present regardless of the setting in the Gerber, I misinterpreted the viewer data

#1595 2 years ago

I've been looking at the schematics and gerber, trying to implement Robotworkshop suggestions (to at least contribute a little bit)

Unfortunately, it seems that I'm missing something. There is a lot of missing symbols (OLED display for ex, but not only) where the net connects visually on the schematics to a pin, but this pin is not tied to a symbol (so can't be edited, moved, copied).

Also, I can't "import changes" (which is how changes in schematics are reflected into the layout), it's missing a lot of component footprint (about 50), and it can't make the association.

It would seem the schematics and layout are imported from another tool, and this import essentially broke several symbols and component associations.

Am I correct in my assumption ?

If so, this means that practically for anyone to contribute (such as implementing Robotworkshop suggestions), we would first need to find a way to either ensure the import allows for proper component association, or work from the original design files in the original toolchain

If not, well I'm baffled, as I can't see how the layout was generated in the first place with Easy EDA.

1 week later
#1619 2 years ago

I'm going to build a TiltAudio 3.5 board (just received the PCB - waiting on a few more components), will take some pictures as I progress in the soldering to provide to the wiki.

Note: I'll use headers where I can as it's more convenient when swapping (except maybe the 12V and 5V regulators)
Note 2 : I'll use the DSP

Any area you would like to get extra pictures during the assembly process ?

3 weeks later
#1633 2 years ago
Quoted from Grangeomatic:

I picked up a 3.0 kit from BrewNinja, got it soldered up and it's sort of working. I thought I'd post a few things, some as questions, some because they might help others get this running.
Here's how it went for me today:
- soldering was pretty straightforward. Nothing to see here. I had thought about putting headers in for the "modules" that need to be soldered to the board, but I didn't have any around and decided to just go for it.
- I followed the quick start on the TILT!Audio site here: https://tiltaudio.com/2020/11/11/quick-start/ While it did get me started, it could be improved.
- I've used Win32DiskImager to write my SD cards since I've started using RPis, but for some reason that didn't work, so I used the recommended Etcher and it worked fine
- One of the things in the quick start guide says to go into the raspisound.ini file and set "vendor=1" for WPC. No problem, I can do that, except for the fact that there is no raspisound.ini file in the latest version of the Pi image. It's just not there. After a little research, I found a note that recommended you just set it up with the WebUI, because that's easier. OK, I guess I'll do that.
- Wasn't entirely sure what format the sound packs needed to be in. That's not mentioned in the quick start guide. After a little more research, I found that each sound set needs to be in its own folder (not sure if there's a naming convention to follow for these folders), and all the sound files and altsound.csv go directly into these folders. OK, I can do that.
- I know that the full RPi is recommended, but there are some notes on the site that say that a zero might work. I happen to have an unused Zero around (from my LISY80 board that I'm not currently using), so I figured I'd give that a try.
- I installed the board and powered it up. The machine booted up quite a bit before the TILTAudio board, but that's not a big deal to me. It booted and started talking to me, so I figured I was just a couple steps away from getting it to work. Almost...
- It told me it was in Data East mode, and that the soundset didn't seem to match the setting. OK, so I found the TILTAUDIO wifi network and went to the expert config settings and changed it to WPC. I did a power cycle on the game (didn't see the reboot button in the UI at first) and when it booted up, it was still in DE mode. I took out the SD card, and NOW there is a raspisound.ini file, but there's nothing in it. I type "vendor=1" and save it and try again.
- this time it preloaded the sound set. Seems that it kind of "clicks" through the speakers every few seconds while it's pre-loading, eventually finishing and then some sort of beep, indicating it's done. While it's doing this, the little OLED display puts more periods after the "A...", indicating it's loading, I guess.
So now I'm in WPC mode (it announced that), and it's preloaded soundset 1 (of 2) and I'm ready to go.
I press start and it seems to be working. I'm playing the Getaway and it's running the stock soundset (for starters), and all seems pretty good. Until I get a little way through ball 1 and then the sound starts getting REALLY choppy. I ran the volume all the way down (because I'd seen that be done to change the soundset) and it said it was preloading soundset 2. Cool.
After loading soundset 2, I tried to play a game, but the sound was really choppy again. I rebooted the machine and it came up into soundset #2 again, and this time the sound was good. Until about midway through a game again, and then it got choppy again.
Is this maybe a product of using the Pi Zero?
After that first reset when using the WebUI, I couldn't find the TILTAUDIO wifi network anymore. I think once it wrote that blank raspisound.ini file, it no longer used that as a setup. When I deleted that file, I was able to find that network again and connect to the WebUI. I figured I should probably just have it hook up to my home network, but that wasn't as straightforward as I expected it to be.
I again set it up for WPC, tried to play a couple games...they worked OK for a little bit, then got really choppy.
That's about all I had the energy for today, so I shut it down and decided to write this up.
So my biggest questions are:
- is the choppy sound due to the Pi Zero?
- does the WebUI try to default to your home network or something, so that after the first use, it goes away?
One more question that didn't come up above:
- is there a speaker impedance setting or limit? From a previous speaker upgrade, I'm currently running 2x4ohm speakers in my backbox, and I believe my cabinet speaker is an 8ohm. I may run a crossover on the cabinet speaker, so it only runs the low frequencies, but do I need to be concerned about the impedance?
That's about all I've got for today. Hope this helps others, and I'd love to get some answers/comments from those that have gotten this running properly.
-

I believe nobody tested with a PiZero. We have tested various flavors (especially RPI 3 Model A+), but Pi Zero seems vastly underpowered, so I would advise against using it

As for WebUI, no it should not go away. By default it operates in hotspot mode, which you can modify and configure to your home network, but it should always be operational

As for speaker impedance, you should be fine. You don't need to add a filter if you are using the DSP.

Regards

1 week later
#1636 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

I have a TiltAudio 3.5 card with firmware 1.37 and a 1402/1701 DSP card.
There is sound and it works correctly in game - but I have no DSP menu.
What could be wrong here ?

In the /boot/data folder (if my memory is correct), there is a tiltaudio.xml and tiltaudio2.xml. The second one need to replace the first (backup the first, rename the second), and you will get access to specific filter frequencies configuration in the config tab.

The xml file is actually generated using the Sigma DSP application, which truth be told I have yet to install and test

sidenote, there is a slack channel to discuss using messenger type application - you can ask Steve for the link

#1643 2 years ago

Ok, so I had tried to run my board with a pi zero, but the sound would work for a bit, then get really choppy. I figured, and others on here did as well, that the zero just couldn’t cut it, so I sprung for a 3B+. Came in yesterday. I take the sd card out of the zero and put it in the 3B+, and I can tell that it’s booting (OLED screen says so), but it won’t make any sound.
I put the SD card back in the zero, and it mostly runs ok for a bit again. It announces the version, that I’m in trial mode,etc. just like it did before, but start a game and it quickly becomes choppy.
Go back to the 3B+ and it’s silent again. Screen boots up and all, just no sound.
With either one, when I go to access the UI, it’s as if I only have two minutes to get in there and make changes before my iPad drops the TILTAUDIO network and defaults back to my normal WiFi. So I power down and repeat with the same results.
Lastly, with all the powering down and back up, I’ve blown 2 of the 1A fuses on the board.
Any suggestions?
Jeff

Are you using 1.37 ?

There is an elusive bug that Steve is chasing which could be related to what you're seeing (although symptoms are different).

In any case, for the sake of testing, I would recommend to start from scratch, ie burn a brand new image using Etcher and put it directly in your RPI3B+. I've had issues in the past where the TA SW would be stuck and nothing would allow to come back operational.

Also, are you using a 3.5 board or a 3.0 ?

#1645 2 years ago

Ashram56 im using 1.37 on a 3.0 board. I’ll try the “start from scratch” idea with the 3B+ tonight or tomorrow
Zigzagzag if the above doesn’t work, I’ll give your idea a try.
What is the “standard” setting for configured sound card, just using the TA board and relatively stock speakers?

Right now I'm only using stock speaker. TA alone is a massive improvement in sound quality. Of course upgraded speakers would be nice, that's next in line.

If you're using a 3.0, you have the option to use an older revision. 1.32 is a good starting point, as it has the new DietPi image, and it is before the addition of 3.5 board support (for which there might be outstanding issues still).

#1647 2 years ago

Forgive my ignorance, but where do I find the SD image for 1.32?

https://tiltaudio.com/changelog/

Go down to 1.32, you have a link to the update file and a link to the full image

#1649 2 years ago

Ok, so either the reset or dialing back to 1.32 made the difference, because now it seems to be working. I was able to play several games tonight and try out a couple different sound sets. I’ve already got some ideas on how to customize my own.
However, I’ve already blown 3 of the 1A fuses on the board. 2 while I was trying to get it to work, and now one while it seemed to be working fine.
I was in the middle of a game, coming up to a rather intense part when it went quiet and the lights went out on the board.
Any thoughts on why that fuse would be blowing?

Well if the fuse blows regularly, that's not good news.

So, questions:
1/ Did you connect anything on the board, especially on the so called PIN2DMD or 12V connector (for example to power your PIN2DMD) ? If so, please disconnect, this is not designed for that
2/ are your fuse slow blow or fast blow ? If Fast Blow, this would indicate you have a transient, if slow blow this would more indicate you're drawing too much current in average
3/ do you see any damage on the 12V regulator -the one with the blue PCB and the small variable resistor) ?

Can you check if you have a residual resistance between 12V and ground ?

#1663 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

It should be with the 1.37 if you don't change of sd cards. The renaming to "done" in the latest firmware will only happen when there was a successful flash call, otherwise there will be a second try ...
Before it could happen that a firmware files was renamed, even though the flash process failed. I guess that's what happened with one of your boards.
It could maybe improved further by not renaming the firmware file at all, but this would require the updater to deal with a list of firmware files and choose the the one with the highest version.

I think the flow that Zigzagzag describes is the following:
- Put a fresh TA install sdcard in a system, boot
- System flashes STM32, rename file to .done if flash is successful, all is good

- Move SD card to NEW TA, with unprogrammed STM32

In this case, since the flash did take place on first board, the .done file is present, so TA SW does not detect that STM32 is not programmed on the second board

1 week later
#1671 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Anyone have a picture of the board in a Data East machine? Trying to see what the oled looks like (which way it needs to be rotated). Thanks.

Based on the picture here: https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/images/8/86/De_boardset.jpg
It looks like the audio board is rotated counter clockwise (ribbon cable at the bottom, speaker connector on the left)

#1672 2 years ago

Anyone would know of a 2 channels or even 4 channels bluetooth mixing table (ie mixing sound from four different bluetooth sources).

That would be awesome, with TA bluetoot capabilities, you could connect multiple pinball machines to a single subwoofer in your line up.
Alternatively adding bluetooth audio adapters, but it's not as integrated and clean

1 week later
#1677 2 years ago
Quoted from pavel_one:

I've got multiple Tilt!Audio devices. Does anyone know how to change the SSID of the WiFi for the config?

It does not precisely adress your question, but turn on one at a time, connect, then go into the config page to connect Tilt Audio to your home wifi network (you can also change the device name in the config, such as TiltAudio_Indy for example). That way you can easily access them all the time, especially useful for uploading packs. IMO a better alternative than having TA each acting as an access point.

Regards

1 week later
#1680 2 years ago

There is a bug which prevents using Rpi3a+, for now you need to use rpi3b+

However your description would tend to indicate a power issue, does the rpi green led turns on?

If not, check the voltage level at the output of each regulator, one should read 5v, the other 12v

(edit) well I should have read more thoroughly. Looks like your rpi does not boot although it's powerd on, check the voltage levels though just in case, reflash the microsd card with another card

#1685 2 years ago

Are you using a RPI3a+? As noted earlier, there is a bug and your symptoms are similar to what I have seen

Otherwise, autodetection is not working, you need to manually set to the correct machine (wpc or otherwise)

2 weeks later
#1701 2 years ago
Quoted from JBBOPT:

Not proud of my clip job under the amp board after trying to desolder the connections on the top to get it off was
unsuccessful on a few spots, but I’ve soldered in a new amp board and the backbox speakers are working again.
Thanks all!

One of the reason why on my TiltAudio pretty much everything is on socket...

3 weeks later
#1719 2 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Has anyone tweak the settings to get it load faster yet? Just wondering if someone has a good configuration to get the Pi to start up faster.

There was some work done by a contributor, but he stopped as he did not want to spend time on a closed source SW. Unfortunately he did not provide his changes... You can save a one or two seconds, but preloading is what takes the most time (at least in my case)

Quoted from ptolemy:

Do most folks upgrade speakers using flipper fidelity (or similar)? Curious if anyone has purchased speakers from Parts Express and if so which ones?

From the slack channel, one of the recommendation was to use this sub: rockwood ydd-200. Super cheap, and it has a dual coil, so you can actually add more power output by wiring the secondary coil to the secondary output of the cabinet amp (requires a custom wire, but easy to implement on the board itself).

With regards to backbox speaker, I've been using recommendation from this page:
http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_sound_info.html

Note that if you use the DSP, you do not need the speaker filter, the DSP will do that for you.

#1720 2 years ago
Quoted from hawknole:

I am having difficulties using the WebUI. I added files I wanted and then deleted the old files and that made the sound not work properly after a power cycle. Rasp Pi 3B+, version 1.37. I tried it with both sound formats, folder structure and alt audio structure and similar results. In the case of the alt audio the change within the WebUI wiped out the altsound.csv file 0kb per picture and the file that I uploaded and played prior to reboot for the shooter lane showed as 0kb. If I load an audio mix and don't touch it via the WebUI then it appears that everything is OK. Any help is appreciated.

Yes. it was reproducable as it happened more than once for both folder structure and altaudio.
1) Turn machine on and wait for IP
2) Via laptop go to Web UI and Sounds, expand to show 'Details'
3) Click 'Add' and Browse for a file on my laptop and Upload
4) Then I see the original sound and the newly uploaded sound in the drop down
5) Play the new sound and it plays on the machine, or via browser, whichever
6) Delete the original sound as I only want the new sound
7) Play the new sound again to double check
8) Play a game on the machine, all seems good and I hear the new sound
9) Close the WebUI, there is no save config option on the Sounds screen
10) Power cycle machine and the sound files do not play, in the case of the folder structure, just the music did not play; in the case of the altaudio it zero'd out the config as shown above and no sounds played
I am now changing sound files directly on the micro sd card plugged in to my laptop and that works fine.

Sidenote: are you the author of the Hawkhole mix for LOTR ?

1 month later
#1741 2 years ago
Quoted from curban:

Still not able to get any sounds initiated from the pin. I can only get sound playback when controlled from the web GUI.
Nothing appears in the log file unless I send a sound from the GUI or press the buttons on that ‘black pill’ board.
Where can I get help

Did you connect the horizontal 4 pins header at the bottom of the blackpill board ?
What is the status of the blackpill led at boot, and during operation ?
Did you check continuity after your rework ? There is a schematics of the board showing the connections to help you check the board status

#1744 2 years ago

Seems to me the 4 pin header is OK (it's shown with pins and solder, so I assume it's connected below).

Some of your solder points on the vertical headers however seem dubious (hard to say with the picture quality), can you reflow them and add a small piece of solder ? Likewise, your resistor array do not look very well soldered...

Schematics can be found here: https://oshwlab.com/steve45/tiltaudio (although I get a 504 error right now)

With regards to the led, I don't recall exactly, but if my memory is correct the led should flash at boot at least, but need to check

2 weeks later
#1752 2 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Looking for some help, this is driving me crazy.
I am trying to put a Tilt Audio board in my STTNG. The original sound board works just fine.
I setup the Tilt Audio board, with sounds files in the data\sound folder and a raspisound.ini with vendor=5 for WPC DCS.
I also have the license key file in the \data folder
I wired up the speakers correctly.
The Tilt Audio board will boot up and play the intro voice announce the version number and loads the sounds files.
BUT, I get no game sounds when I start the game.
I took the exact same Tilt audio board and put it in a friends STTNG with changing anything and it played just fine, boots up and gets all game sounds.
I also put my original sound board back in and it works just fine.
I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+.
Any thoughts on what to look for, it doesn't seems to be the Tilt Audio board since it works in my friends STTNG.
Thanks

Can you hear sound/music when triggering them manually with the webui?

Can you check the log to see if Tiltaudio detects sound commands?

And lastly... Which board révision is this?

Regards

#1760 2 years ago

Gut feeling, impédance matching.

Quoted from jjoravec:

Figured out the culprit.
When I unplug the ribbon cable from the Fliptronics board and have it go straight to the Tilt Audio board the sounds works just fine. When I plugged the ribbon cable back in to the Fliptronics board the sounds stops working.
Looks like there is an issue with my Fliptronics board. Going to get a replacement and try it.
Any idea why the Fliptronics board would stop the signal from going to the Tilt Audio board, but still work with an original sound board?

Gut feeling ? Signal integrity and impedance matching.

That could be caused by a number of factors: ribbon cable, connectors, etc. I would reflow the solder on all connectors, and try a new cable. Pay especially attention to the ground signal (I don't recall though if the original ribbon cable has a ground wire between each signal wire to prevent crosstalk).

1 month later
#1779 2 years ago
Quoted from ptolemy:

Looking for some help/guidance in troubleshooting TiltAudio on Data East Star Trek.
Background:
Game works fine with the original sound board so I can confirm that the ribbon cable, speakers, and speaker cabling are good. No issues, just wanted to try the TiltAudio board in my game. This will be my third installation of TiltAudio boards so I have some familiarity with the product. The other two machines are WPC DCS games (STTNG and IJ). I am using the 3.7 variant of the board which I purchased from BrewNinja running version 1.38 (also tried 1.37 with same results) of the TiltAudio code.
Downloaded the TREK_201 audio files from http://altsound.vpin24.com/ and upgraded my CPU ROM to 2.01 as well.
Game boots and TiltAudio announces "running trial license...." etc. DataEast is auto detected and game plays however no sound.
Using wi-fi app on my phone I can connect to the TiltAudio board and individually play each sound with no problem.
Enabled live trace logging however no data is shown in the logfile.
Triple checked all connections, etc... and all are good.
Swapped TiltAudio board into one of my WPC machines and it works fine.
As luck would have it my friend, who also has some TiltAudio boards, also has a DE Star Trek machine. He is seeing the exact same behavior. Additionally he has tried it in his DE GnR game and gets the same results. No sound. So three different DE games seeing the same behavior. All the boards were purchased from BrewNinja if that makes any difference.
My understanding was that with Board Rev 3.5 and higher there was no need for any jumpers to detect Data East, and as mentioned above the TiltAudio does auto-detect DE.

Try setting manually in the advanced config panel the machine type.

Autodetection never worked for me on WPC and WPC-DCS.

1 week later
#1813 2 years ago
Quoted from ptolemy:

I have a version 3.0 board being shipped from BrewNinja so I will test that once it arrives.
I am baffled as well. Three different Tilt Audio boards in four different DE machines and I can't get any of them to work
Hoping it is a simple issue on my part. It will be interesting to see what your regression testing determines.

Sidenote, which Pi are you using in your TA boards?

3 weeks later
#1851 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

can you give some more details e.g. rom version, MPU board rev or board number? I just did a test on my LW3 mentioned a few posts above and there was no problem. Would be really nice if someone could provide a logic analyser recording from a NOT working game.
(sorry game rom version is given already = 2.0, my test was done with 2.08 and it works)

Well I have a logic analyzer, but all my TAs are working

Joke aside, I'm curious : would it be possible to use a special debug program on the blackpill that would actually do just that, ie record data from the bus?

Data storage might be a problem though, but if possible that would make it easier for debug.

I'm really not familiar with the this STM part though, so it might be a completely bonker idea

4 months later
#1867 1 year ago

I did ask on the Slack channel a while ago, and Steve was not involved at all. They do not seem to use TiltAudio SW. So it looks to be a custom CPU board, heavily derived from TiltAudio

#1870 1 year ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Yeah, it doesn't have the "black pill" and connectors for WPC/Data east, so I guess it's a custom build and probably (somewhat) custom software. Not sure why they chose to go this way, maybe it was cheaper than the Fast audio card ?

I think it actually acts as the main CPU/sound board when running TOTAN2.0 code.

#1872 1 year ago

See cable f ? I'm pretty sure this is the audio cable, I2S. It's directly connected to the DAC.

Using the retro pinball platform, it looks like you can get by without a sound card in the first place, provided you have an amplifier board.

My understanding is that when using the original TOTAN code:
- original code runs on the FAST CPU board
- audio is routed to this "Tilt Audio" clone through a dedicated I2S cable
- DMD is replaced by a PIN2DMD, USB connection to the RPI, acting in Virtual Pinball configuration, with DMD data sent by the FAST CPU board to the RPI (which means the RPI translates the DMD information from the Fast board ). That's the "i" cable

When running TOTAN2.0 code:
- RPI act as the main controller: it's connected to the FAST board through a USB interface, connected to a Teensy (that's the small green vertical module). I presume that all IOs for switch/coils/GI/inserts are managed through that link
- RPI drives directly PIN2DMD and sound
- FAST Retro board acts as an interface to the power board and the switches

Unfortunately that retro board is not very well explained in terms of IOs and capabilities, there is no documentation on FAST website. Looks like it can't be ordered separately

Note that the same board was used on Funhouse 2.0, but they also used the new Pinsound board on top of it

6 months later
#1893 1 year ago

With regards to the black pill, yes the 4 pin header need to be soldered to the main PCB. This is used to program the blackpill

As for the DAC, I'm not using it (using the DSP) except on an older board, and I don't recall not soldering one pin. But it has been a while, and I don't have the board anymore to check

1 year later
#2027 3 months ago

Anyone reading this thread has experience on the DSP implementation in TiltAudio ?

1 week later
#2029 78 days ago

Well for me I had a perfectly working unit in my Indy, which I transferred for testing in a Dr Who, all fine was working.

Built a second board, installed in Dr Who, bunch of issues (sounds playing back at wrong time, even when adjusting volume, etc). Checked decoder mode, all was fine. Reinstalled previously working board.... Failure, same symptoms.

Reflashed blackpills, reimage sd card, still not working....

2 weeks later
#2033 63 days ago

Just an update, since some might have tried to update the TiltAudio image, the above steps needed some adjustments to work

SSH into your RPI, login/password are pi/pi, then type the following commands, one by one (the date need to be adjusted for the sync to work correctly, does not have to be accurate to the minute though)

From a working RPI with TA SD card:

sudo bash
date -s '22 Feb 2024 18:11'
apt-get update --allow-releaseinfo-change
dietpi-backup 1
sed -i 's/stretch/buster/g' /etc/apt/sources.list{,.d/*.list}
rm -f /etc/apt/sources.list.d/dietpi-php.list
rm -f /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/dietpi-php.gpg
rm -f /etc/apt/preferences.d/dietpi-{php,openssl,xrdp}
rm -f /etc/mysql/mariadb.conf.d/97-dietpi.cnf
/boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-set_software apt-cache clean
apt update
apt upgrade
apt full-upgrade
apt autopurge
/boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-obtain_hw_model
. /boot/dietpi/func/dietpi-globals

We will post a complete SD card image

3 weeks later
#2038 41 days ago

One question, I was planning to add one in my Addams Family, but I seem to recall there's an issue with TiltAudio and TAF ?

Regards

#2040 41 days ago

and that works with a Pinsound ?

#2042 38 days ago

Thanks, I'll check it out

That said, I do wonder if there's a good mix for TAF anyway

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 27.95
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
Machine - For Sale
Bartlett, IL
$ 18.95
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ashram56.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi?tu=ashram56 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.