rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lonzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#123 5 years ago

I’m a little confused. I want to order this for a DE game but the website is kinda confusing. Is there a more detailed up to date list of things you need for the latest version.

1. The site said “Possibly a USB sound card”. What does that mean? Do I need one or not?
2. Am I supposed to buy the license if I buy the kit or is that included or needed for this?

I just don’t want to miss something and have to order again. I will be using a pi 3 B+

Also, it says that it now supports older DE games. Does this mean BTTF is supported?

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Regarding 1: depends on the pi you're gonna use pi0 USB sound card is a must, Pi3 has buildin sound.
Regarding 2: license goes on top, but without shipping, it's just a license file. You need to order it separately because it depends on pi's serial.
Regarding BTTF: should work as it works very well in my JP, which is basically the same hardware.
Hope this answers your questions.
/Steve

So I can go ahead and order the board and just come back when my Pi comes in?

Is there a tutorial anywhere for pulling the sounds out of a game that has not been done yet? I have a Pinsound in my JP and it’s easy to change the sounds but I don’t know where to start from scratch.

Thanks for the response.

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I believe Steve has suggested in the past to download game sounds from the pinsound community

I am referring to games that have not been done yet.

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

To create a new sound set you can use extraction tools like M1 or pinmame, but until now there is no detailed tutorial about this so far.
HTH.
/Steve

Can you expand or link to the M1 software you talk about? I searched and the only M1 software I could find was for manufacturing.

Thanks

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

See here: http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?page_id=223
There is also at least one thread on pinside about recording sounds for pinsound just use the search. https://www.google.de/search?q=pinside+rip+music

Awesome, thanks.

I got it loaded and can record sounds. I have several roms that don't show up on the list. Any idea if there is a way to get those to work or are they just not supported?

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just clarifying - I believe you can use PinSound Studio to rip sounds from a ROM even if you do not have the game.

Ok. I will see what I can figure out with Pinstudio. So far I have o my messed with packages that were already created.

Thanks.

2 weeks later
#161 5 years ago

Ok. I am waiting for my board but I have been reading etc. A buddy of mine is having trouble setting his up and I have been looking through trying to get answers. For a project like this and especially if your selling something, the documentation on how to make this work is just not there. There needs to be a step by step instructions on what to do to set this up. I think that there are assumptions made as to what everyone knows.

Can someone post a step by step guide on how to set this up from step zero. I have a board In front of me. What do I load on the Pi, how do I load it? Etc . There are too many variables to figure out on your own.

We need some help. I would install this on several of my games but if I can’t get it working then I will just move on.

I think most of the pictures are with either the old board or Pi zero.

HELP

#164 5 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

If it helps at all, I've started to document the process from the receipt of the 2.x kit to the install in my Jurassic Park. I can share it with everyone on here once I'm done.

That would be great. Thank you.

#185 5 years ago

I have got the Pi loaded and booted. Now just waiting on the board. Excited about this project.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from Bd700:

Thanks Steve, I was going crazy thinking I was doing something wrong.

Just because this wasn’t your fault doesn’t mean you’re not going crazy.

1 week later
#204 5 years ago

I am about ready to give up on this project and I haven’t even got started yet.

Are there any pictures of the 2.1x board put together? It doesn’t seem like it would be that hard to put some pictures in the assembly section.

The documentation is all over the place. So hard to find and when you find it the numbering is so confusing you don’t know what to make of it. I load the image that’s on the shopping g site and my Pi says it’s running version 1.14. But there is documentation about 1.9 etc. makes no sense. Even simple stuff like where to put some of the files is not clear. A buddy of mine couldn’t get his USB to work so I told him to put the USB text file every folder and gues what, it worked.

Seriously....Surface mount chips? Most people don’t work with that. I’ve been doing all my own board work for several years but I’ve never had to do that. Can this be made with standard “through hole” chips? This would make it much easier for the non professionals with standard equipment.

Was really excited but to work on this but to see the frustration my buddy is going through and the lack of a single document that explains all this is stealing my excitement.

I think this could be a huge success if done right.

Has anyone but Steve got this to function?

#211 5 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Here’s a few pics of mine as I put it together. Don't mind the extra solder paste, there was a clog and it exploded lol. I ended up cleaning it up and reapplying a thin bead.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I appreciate the pics. Gonna start working on mine tonight.

#218 5 years ago

Got my board put together today (minus the amps and push button rotary knob as the package had been opened during shipping and sealed back poorly so I assume they fell out at some point). I am using a portable speaker with a 3.5 jack for testing. Tried it out on Star Wars and its doing some strange stuff. It boots up and goes through the loading process just fine. When I turn on the machine, it starts playing a bunch of sounds continuously. If I turn the machine off it’s like whatever sound files are playing (many of them) will finish the wav file and then quite. I tried several different packages with the same result. I even turned the ribbon cable around and it stopped the random continuous sounds but anytime it played a sound, it was the wrong one. I downloaded the configuration files for all these packages.

I have a funhouse so I thought I would give it a try. So I changed the jumper and the ini file to WPC. I loaded the basic sound package and the board loaded the sound files just fine. This time it didn’t play random continuous sounds, it just didn’t play the right sounds. When you start a game there was no music and the sound effects that were played were not correct.

Progress but not sure where to start looking as both DE and WPC are not working correctly.

Thanks.

#224 5 years ago

I have ran into two issues.

1. After a day of testing, all of the sudden my two 12 volt pins arced. I was able to disconnect power to the board but somehow there was enough damage that the pins were showing continuity when tested. I tried to fix this but have been unable to do so. I looked at the traces and I only seem to see two paths for the 12 volt power and that is to the DCDC converter and the power for the amps which I do not have installed. I also had to take the DCDC converter off because it failed after a couple of power ups. I wasn't showing a connection on one of the 5 volt solder points so I just removed the board and hooked up 5 volts through the unused connectors. Since I am not using the amps right now it appeared that I didn't need the 12 volts so I thought I would continue testing without it. Well, with only 5 volts going to the Raspinsound board, the Pi will not boot. So I am assuming the 12 volt is used for something else as well that may not be obvious by looking at the traces. I was hoping Steve could clear this up for me and maybe I can find an alternate attach point for 12 volts as I am not sure the original pads can be saved. With that being said, I can power the Pi with its own power supply and the Raspi with 5 volts and it boots and loads sounds. Not sure its working correctly though as I got some sounds and music when the machine wasn't even turned on. When I turned on the machine, nothing changed and it just kept playing music. I started a game and still nothing changed.

2. I am a little confused on some of the config files. I have the raspisound.ini file in the Sound folder and I have a config.raspisnd in the "1" folder.
When I look at the debug file, it appears that it is also looking for a config.ini file and I get a warning that it can not be found. Is there another file that is supposed to be there?

Here is the text from those lines in the debug log.

2018-08-14 20:16:01.521 DEBUG [loadHashMapping] [sound_util.c:405] loading hashes from /boot/data/sound/1/config.raspisnd
2018-08-14 20:16:01.523 DEBUG [loadHashMapping] [sound_util.c:415] loaded 222 hashes
2018-08-14 20:16:01.523 DEBUG [readConfig] [fileutil.c:41] reading config from: /boot/data/sound/1/config.ini
2018-08-14 20:16:01.523 WARN [readConfig] [fileutil.c:77] config config.ini not found in /boot/data/sound/1
2018-08-14 20:16:01.523 DEBUG [readConfig] [fileutil.c:41] reading config from: /boot/data/sound/1/config.raspisnd
2018-08-14 20:16:01.523 DEBUG [readConfig] [fileutil.c:47] read config.raspisnd from /boot/data/sound/1/config.raspisnd

#225 5 years ago

Update.
I was able to get the power issue solved. I still believe that the amps and DCDC converter are the only things that use 12volt power so if that is not correct, please let me know.

I have it working on both Data East and WPC. I agree with the above post as it seems 90% correct. In both DE and WPC it seems that some sounds are not played. This could be because of a firmware issue or the sound sets may not be complete or the config file may be missing information. I will keep working at it to see if I can figure out anymore information. Happy with he results so far.

I still have the warning In the log about that config.ini file if anyone has any input on that.

Thanks.

#227 5 years ago

Steve, Can I get a config file for the new "Star Wars OST 1.0 Vader77 1.0.0" sound set.

This brings up a point. Can the same Star Wars config file be used for any Star Wars sound sets? It would seem that all sets would have the same sound identifications numbers but maybe I am missing something.

#229 5 years ago
Quoted from SunMonkeyAZ:

It does look like all the LAH sets I have have the same hash so using the config in different sets should work. That's why I heard a different song I mentioned earlier since the different set versions had different songs in the folder. I'm not getting all the sounds playing but the base is there. What I can't tell from the logs though is if the IDs are being sent and what's happening to stop sounds from playing. I don't understand how the hash numbers get mapped to an ID. Where do the IDs come from? If I knew the IDs used in the original I could match to the sets. I'm lost a bit there. But I'm happy I have some sounds so I did something right. I do have my right and left channels dropping out but the cabinet speaker output stays on. Something in the amp maybe.

I just looked at the config files for the Original Star Wars, the Pinhead version and the Julian version. The original and Julian appear to be identical. The Pinhead version has one line missing so it is 1 line shorter than the other two. Im not sure if that is by design or if it is supposed to be like that.

#230 5 years ago

Ok. Did some more testing. I am using the Original Star Wars sound package for testing because I can plug the normal sound card in for a direct comparison of how the sounds interact with the game. Here is what I am noticing.

1. There are sounds that play when they are supposed to.
2. There are sounds that do not play when they are supposed to.
3. There are sounds that constantly play when they are not supposed to. And by that I mean that a wrong sound is played every time a target is hit so therefor it is not a random occurrence.

I played some games with the glass off with the original sound card so I could pick out some good repeatable baseline sounds. I then hooked up the Raspi and tried to duplicate those "shots". Some were correct but some played the wrong sound. From what I am seeing, the Raspi is working correctly in that it is consistently playing a sound to an assigned action within the game it is just that its the wrong sound in a lot of instances. It is acting like the configuration file is not correct and assigning the sounds to the wrong address. It may not be this but it sure acts like it.

Is there anyone that can verify this in SW or maybe another game. I can give a specific list of 4 or 5 sounds in SW if someone has that game and wants to verify if theirs does the same thing.

Thanks

#233 5 years ago
Quoted from Vader77:

I would think that you could use theirs because that's what I used....

So are you getting all the correct sounds all the time in the Raspin setup or are you using a pinsound board?

#234 5 years ago
Quoted from SunMonkeyAZ:

Just did some testing on my LAH. What I found is it seems like the gun firing sound is happening when there should be speech. When I’d hit the spinner manually, which normally has the captain speaking gibberish, I was getting a lot of gun sounds with each spin. Also the end of game match sequence has Arnold saying “to be or not to be” then a voice over of “and Hamlet is taking out the trash” then Arnold saying “to be” or “not to be” depending on a match or not. What I get though is gunshot, gunshot and then a gunshot. That’s when I noticed gunshots were happening when I know there was speech. But the music sounds good and other sound effects seem to be there I just need to adjust the levels.

It sounds like you are having the exact same issue as I am having.

#237 5 years ago

Would someone be willing to put the original SW sound set in and tell me
what it says when you hit the big yellow Death Star target? Hit it through all the planets to multiball.

Thanks

#238 5 years ago

More testing. I think the config file that I am using is not correct. I downloaded a new version just to make sure I didn't swap it with a wrong one at some point. I played the game with the original sound card and picked two sounds that I remember being wrong when I listened to it with the Raspi attached. Here are the sounds.

In the original board, the sound when hitting the big yellow death star target is a laser sound.
When you hit the 5th Yavin moon after the laser sound he says "Death Star Approaching"

With the Raspi attached, the yellow target plays "Great shot kid, that was one in million"
When you hit the 5th Yavin moon it says "You seek Yoda"
Since the first sound is a longer sentence, they are both playing at the same time.

So I searched the config file and found the assignments and assigned the correct sounds to the yellow target and 5th-8th Yavin moon.
When I loaded up the Raspi it now plays the correct sounds for the yellow target and the 5th-8th Yavin moon.

This leads me to believe the config file is not correct unless a chip problem or something could cause this to happen.
Any ideas Steve?

#243 5 years ago

The sound package is the original sounds from: http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/48-star_wars_1992zip/

I am using the descramble file from your site.

I can give you the two sound addresses that I changed but I can tell from my testing that there are a lot of sounds affected.

For the big yellow target, the address of that sound is: 007A and the wrong sound was 1252612216
I replaced it with 3242871385. Now I am not sure if this is actually the correct sound because there are a lot that sound similar but it was good enough for me to experiment with.

For the "Death Star Approaching" the address is 00C0 and the wrong "yoda" sound was 0481569758.
Now this was a little more interesting as the correct sound (4105837269) was just one line below this one in address 00C2.

Since there are a lot of sounds in the wrong spots do you think they maybe changed up there algorithm for their config system?

#244 5 years ago

I had a buddy confirm that the SW sound package does not work correctly. He also tried a LW3 and it appears to work correctly.
I tried it in my Funhouse and it appears to work correctly. Any chance we can get a new SW config file made to compare with the one that is available now?

Both SW are using Chads code but I do not see how this should affect anything because it calls for the same sounds as far as I know and I am comparing sounds to the original sound board on the same machine with that code.

Thanks

#245 5 years ago

Did a little more testing Now I can officially say I am totally confused as to what is going on.

I decided to try Jurassic Park because mina actually has a Pinsound board in it so I am familiar with the sound package and also since it was used in the development of this sound card. I installed everything and turned the machine on and it behaved just like Star Wars. All the sounds were there but playing at the wrong time. So to sum it up, WPC seems to work correctly as I have tried two different sound packages in it and both work correctly. Now I cant say there are not any errors because I only played a couple of games each but there were no obvious problems.

Both of the Data East games I tried did not work correctly at all and both kind acted the same.

Here are my questions

1. Could there be a bad chip or a connection issue (two legs shorted together by a bad solder job) or no connection on a leg of a chip or something that would cause this kind of error. My next step is to start looking at all the chips to see if I can see anything that doesn't look right. I don't have another DE to test so I don't really see a point in testing anymore until I know the board is good or a new config is made.

2. Could there be any issue with the pi that could cause this kind of problem. I have another pi in a 3d printer that I can pull out and test but there is no use if that cant cause this kind of problem.

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks

2 weeks later
#253 5 years ago

Just thought I would share a mod I made for the board. I didn't like how the two boards fit together. The Raspi board would rock back and forth on the Pi whenever you touched the board. I wanted a more stable mount so I created a brace and printed it out. It uses the two of the mounting holes on the Pi and it you decide to mount it in some other way, you can just put a screw and nut through and it will hold it all nice a firm.

If anyone has a 3D printer and would like the file, let me know and I will send the STL file.
Img_5240 2 (resized).jpgImg_5240 2 (resized).jpg

#260 5 years ago

What I do t understand is with my board, a WPC game seems to work as you guys describe. It mostly works with some minor problems. I have tried it in 2 DE games (JP and SW) and they are a complete unusable mess. I can change sounds and get it to work for a particular sound etc but that would mean changing the entire config file which is not practical. I guess I need to go through the board and test every connection to make sure the DE chip is working properly. It’s seems to be that or the config files are wrong.

#274 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

I've compiled a rc version with whitestar support you can find it here: https://mega.nz/#!gpYVGQbR!u98V1u-lWTjJj3hu0QrIZce2KvRcEPHWchF-hYQLBKI
IT ONLY runs on Pi3 so far. It also has support for configureable stop commands (a requested feature from one of you guys). So in raspisound.ini you can add a line like:
stop_cmds=0xFD 0xFC

the every command byte 0xFD or 0xFC causes playback to stop. This was a missing piece for one of the WPC / DCS soundsets AFAIR.
Also included is sending out serial commands to a secondary controller (e.g. another pi). As soon as I have a demo video ready for this I create another thread.
Br Steve

Im not sure what rc means. Is this something we have to install or update to run the whitestar system? If so, how do we do it?

I tried loading the sound files and then changing the vendor to 7 and hooking it up to my Apollo 13. The board loads but when it comes to "mode" it says "Mode: Loading sound set 1". It doesn't play any sounds in the game so I am guessing I have to load something or update with that rc file but I am not sure how to do that. I have a pi3 so it should work once I update it.

#276 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

this is the file with the update, just download it and change the name to udate.zip and place it in the update file.

do you mean the update folder that is on the sd card?

#280 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Somebody was asking for a StarWars OST 1.0 Vader77 mapping. I just created it, please checkout the lastest version here https://github.com/sker65/RasPiSound/tree/master/config/Star_Wars_OST_1_Vader77
Br Steve

Just curious. Shouldn’t this mapping file work for all SW versions. Don’t they all use the same structure?

#282 5 years ago

Ok. I will try both SW sound packages with the new mapping file and will also try the Apollo 13 and report back.

Thanks.

#283 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

yes
let know if it works on your Apollo, my LOTR does not work.

I just installed the update and when the pi boots it says "version 1.17rc. loading sound set 1" When it is finished loading the sound set it then says "mode Whitestar". Unfortunatly, I get no sound when playing a game.

#284 5 years ago

Ok. Did some more testing and this is what I found.

1. I couldn't get anything to work with version 1.17rc. No sound with whitestar as stated above and when I loaded SW, It played the intro music but that's all it would do. When I started a game the music continued and no other sound effects were played at all. Its like it was stuck on that sound. This happened with both Vendor 0 and 2 settings.

I re-imaged the SD card and went back to version 1.14. I used the new Vader mapping file and when I looked at it the numbers on the right seemed to be identical to the original SW mapping file. What was different is that in the Vader mapping file, the number on the left was shifted down 2 spots and then the numbers were identical to the original after that below is a copy of the first few lines of each file to show this.

This is the first few lines of the original Star Wars mapping file.
0002 2762871174
0003 2845985639
0004 1572035945
0005 0461678832
0006 3827060893
0007 2411555085
0008 2406198846
0009 1734246515
000A 0637535572
000B 3511487629
000C 2723844567

Here are the first few lines for the Vader mapping file.
0000 2762871174
0001 2845985639
0002 1572035945
0003 0461678832
0004 3827060893
0005 2411555085
0006 2406198846
0007 1734246515
0008 0637535572
0009 3511487629
000A 2723844567

You can see that the right column is the same but the left column was shifted down and the 0000 and 0001 were added to the top.
This pattern seem to go throughout the entire file as the last entry has the left number shifted by two.

As far as the sound goes, its better but not correct. Some sounds appear to be correct but most of them are not. The initial intro scene with the Star Destroyer and the skill shot seem to be correct but most of the rest of the game is not. I actually heard the Rocky and Bullwinkle theme once. I think it was when I hit all the X wing targets.

The weird thing was that the theme and the intro and skill shot seemed to be the same with the vendor set to 0 and 2 but the rest of the sounds were different. They were not correct but it played different incorrect sounds.

Hope this helps and anything else I can test, just let me know. I feel like we are on the right track.

#293 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

One thing to add: I've created a descrambling tool, that converts a scrambled sound set in a "normal" one based on the mappings in config.raspisnd. Which such a sound set it should be possible to test in visual pinball using "alt sound = 1" setting.
With "alt sound = 1" VPinMame plays sounds from the alt sound directory directly no pinsound stuff involved.
Conversion tool is written in java and runs with command line params. Anybody interested?
Br Steve

Send me a PM with your email address and I will send any log files you want. Just tell me what you want me to test and how you want me to do it ( Vendor setting, attract mode or playing, specific switches triggered etc) and I will send you the files.

I have a full VP cabinet so I can attempt to test that as well. I actually have some games running Pinsound packages as well so I just need to figure out the Java thing and I should be able to test that.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#296 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

That is true when you are using the PinSound-Studio assisted mode. with alt sound = 1 VpinMame plays sounds directly, but of course only descrambled sound set. This was actually the first alt sound mode that was supported before pinsound introduced scrambling.

So where do the sounds go and how do you link the rom to the new sound package. In Pinstudio, you assign a sound package to a rom. If it’s not linked then how does ponmame knownwhat sounds to play?

#310 5 years ago

I will download the new image and try it this afternoon

#312 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

I did a small testing / setup video based on my data east lw3, just to show how easy it is to da a basic setup or basic test:

I saw in the video that you have the original pinsound config file in the sound folder along with your Raspisnd config file. Is that Pinsound file required to be in there?

#316 5 years ago

Here are the results of my testing with the new 117rc image that was posted today

DE Vendor 0: Sound works but most of the sounds are not correct.
DE Vendor 2: Sound works but most of the sounds are not correct.
Whitestar Vendor 7: Sound works but sounds are not correct. With this one, since I am working with a portable speaker, I can leave the original speakers hooked up and run the Raspisound at the same time. I can directly compare what the original sound board is playing with what is playing at the same time on the Raspisound. Nothing matches. This test was with an Apollo 13.

Your Lethal Weapon 3 appears so work correctly. Could there be a problem on the board or with a chip that could cause this problem? It seems hard to believe that your LW3 config is perfect but SW and A13 are messed up.

Scratching my head here.

#317 5 years ago

And as a reminder, my WPC seems to work correctly but DE/Whitestar does not. So could that point to a chip problem?

#321 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

You sure you also switched the mode jumper? Maybe send me a pic off your shield. If that's not the reason I would also guess one of the chips could be the problem. But one the other hand the buffer for the databus is the same for both. Can not say from remote. I guess you don't have such things like logic analyser or oszi

Yes. The jumper is correct. I place the jumper on WPC and change the raspisound config file and it mostly works in funhouse with just a few minor problems that have been discussed before. When testing with DE, I change the jumper and the raspisound and it works as I describe. I have a simple hi/low logic probe but not any fancy equipment.

I have forgot to change the jumper before when I first started going back and forth and when that happens it wont even boot. I am sure it is set correctly to DE for all this testing.

I guess I can use your eagle files and look at all my connections and make sure nothing is off on my board.

Is there anyone here that can test the original Star Wars sound package on a real machine to either verify my testing? If it does the same things then its not the board. If it works properly for you then I know its something on my board.

Thanks

#322 5 years ago

Ok. I burned another SD card with the image and it runs fine. Instead of swapping and changing files all the time to change between SW and Apollo13 for testing I am setting up dedicated SD cards for each. I set the new one up for A13 and it runs fine. Like I said, I got the original speakers running too so I can hear them both at the same time to compare. After spending some time with the glass off and running through a couple of games hitting specific switches, here is what I found out:

For some reason, this time more sounds are right at least I think so. I didn't spend a lot of time on the previous test but I am pretty sure its better this time.
I am guessing that around 40% of the sounds are correct. I might have an entire back of targets that are correct but if I go to another set of targets, all of them are not. Some of the voice calls are right on but then you have wrong ones every once in a while that are not correct. An example of the match sequence. It supposed to go like this if you do not match. (I'm paraphrasing the calls as I don't remember them exactly)
"We are going to the moon"
sound effect
"Negative on the moon"

What the Raspisound does is
"We are going to the moon"
"I need a go no go for launch"
"Negative on the moon"

I guess the next step is to check the board since I think it is performing better than the first time I tested today.

#325 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

I think I found the bug. I will post an update later today, that you then can test with your apollo13 setup. This setup is quite smart, as you can easily compare all sounds one by one. Stay tuned.

Good deal. Will test when you finish it up.
Yeah. It really makes it easy to compare the sounds in real time. I actually thought about making a ribbon “Y adapter” so I could do the same thing with Star Wars.

#327 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

There's an update zip https://mega.nz/#!pgox1SSb!xYOCt46Rw-fVzjy-yj_esRmLF7Po5R41chnflrwC3RA that has improved support for whitestar. Please rename the zip file to update.zip and copy it to the update directory on the sd card.
Br Steve

Ok. now we are talking progress.

With the new update, I would say the game is 90-95% correct. For the first half of the game there was no difference in the stock speakers and the Raspisound speakers. I had one issue in the video mode. The rocket sound got stuck on for a while after video mode. I then had a couple of voice callouts that were not made. I cant remember having any wrong voice callouts, its just that every once in a while the Raspi didn't make it. It may be a coincidence but after the video mode I had the wrong background music playing a couple of times. Overall a huge step forward. I can do some more specific testing and send any files you need.

Just for kicks I took my Star Wars SD card and updated it too and tried it but no luck, it still is the same as before with probably 10-15% being correct.

#330 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Sounds like you are now at the same place as me and some others on WPC. It's about 90% correct, but sometimes certain sounds arent played, or sounds are not stopped when they should be.
Fingers crossed we can get it that last step of the way, because then I will definitely have to purchase more for my other machines
Steve, is there anything we can do in regards of helping solve the remaining intermittent issues? Would a video of a game with an attached log file help? Then I could pinpoint certain points with timecodes in the video where something isn't correct. But I don't know if you will be able to locate these points in the (rather big) log file afterwards?

My WPC works like this as well. I have tested it in Funhouse. No Luck on DE yet.

#332 5 years ago

I installed the update from the latest image 1.17.

#346 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

win32imager

I’m not in front of my computer but I’m pretty sure that’s what I use.

#349 5 years ago

Steve,
It appears from the video that you posted that your are not using the newest board. I know several of us that are having issues are using the latest board. Could you please test using the newest board so we can have a direct comparison? Maybe something is going on with the new board. Just a thought.

#351 5 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Agreed. I’m on the new board and still haven’t had much success with it on my Jurassic Park. It’s to the point where it boots and announces the serial number, but I haven’t been able to get it to actually trigger any playback of sounds. Whereas, I can plug the cable back into the factory sound board and everything works 100%

Sounds like you don’t have the key file.

#353 5 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

You are correct. I didn’t want to buy the key until I knew that everything worked as expected.
I thought that it still operated, but continuously played the demo mode sound byte over top of the game sounds when you didn’t have the license installed. Is that not correct?

I am not sure on that. I didn’t try it in a machine until I had the license. I guess I could remove the key file and test that. I won’t be home for a couple of days though.

#357 5 years ago

Another thing that might help us is changing the version number. There have been a couple of updates that are 1.17. So when I am working with a buddy of mine on testing, it’s complicated to figure out if we are using the same code. Maybe change the number for every change no matter what it is so it’s easier to know what we are working with. You could even change to a beta numbering system for our testing and then when you feel it’s solid for an update, you can label it accordingly. I would rather have 117.1, 117.2, 117.3 then asking which 117 did you download or which update did you run.

#364 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

I dont think I can do a side by side, as that would require that I have both original board and Raspisound hooked up at the same time. Alternatively be able to replicate a game exactly two times which would be impossible.
But I will load up Raspisound with the original STTNG sound set, and film a game. Then I hope that based on the video and the log we can pinpoint the problems.

A buddy and I are working on a solution to be able to hear both sounds from the original soundboard and the Raspi at the same time. More details to follow. This made testing Apollo 13 a ton easier.

#365 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Lots of traffic here I try to comment on one after another: the boards are identical in terms of schematic, just different placing of components. So no side effects blue compared to the yellow one.

In theory you are correct but what if there was a manufacturing defect or something? It would be nice to know if you can make the newest board work. I have 3 DE machines including a JP and none of them work. I dont have the details but a buddy of mine said there was one or two traces that were different from an older board but I’m not sure if it was by design or not or if it has any bearing but he has a new board two and is having trouble with the correct sounds playing.

#366 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

AFAIKS there was only a 1.17rc and a 1.17 version published. Normally I take care of released versions and numbering.

The RC thing was confusing but I know you had an update and then an image and then another update. Just got hard to keep track.

#372 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

I have six 16gb sd cards, and too little space on each ?? weird.
I installed the image now on the sd 32gb card and the program on PI3 has started !!!
but I do not have sound,
I have to find the reason
BENETNATH, what size do your log files at LOTR have? with me every time 240kb
I read in my logs, "log_level = 9", BENETNATH in your logs I see that it is = 4, does it have any meaning at work ??

That’s weird. Both of mine are 16gb cards. When you format them, what first it say the size available is?

#393 5 years ago

Did some testing with a buddy and here is what I found out. We are both running the latest shield and pi B. The test was done on a DE Star Wars using the default sound package and the updated config file.

I also did a continuity check on my ribbon connectors and all the chip legs and they are good.

I was going to make an adapter to split the Y cable so you could hook the Raspin up and also listen to the machine at the same time like I did with Apollo 13 and then my buddy came up with a simple solution. We took a WPC cable that had a connector in the middle and hooked each end up to the original boards as you would a normal cable. Then we hooked the Raspin up using the middle connector and now you can run both the machine and the Raspin through a remote speaker and compare sounds in real time.

1. WPC seems to be about 90% correct on both.

2. When running the latest Version 1.17, the attract music never stops and plays over other sounds. With 114, it plays continuously when you turn on the machine but it stops when you start a game. In 117 it doesn't stop so we reverted back to 1.14 to do the rest of the testing. Its not supposed to play continuously.

3. DE is probably 15-20% correct. When you start a game, the shooter lane sounds are all correct so you think to yourself that things are good, but as soon as you launch the ball, most sounds are not correct. Listening to both at the same time helps identify even the smallest sound effects like a laser sound being wrong. The thing is that if you do not know what you are listening for, you may think it sounds pretty good but in reality its not right. Listening to both will make that clear.

4. Now here is the interesting thing. We were using the same config file because I emailed him mine. About 10-20% of our sounds were different. I am not sure how that can happen but it was consistent that each of our setups played the sounds consistently. We even looked at our sound packages and compared some of the numbers of the sounds that were different and everything checked out. Now he did have to replace a chip on his board but for that to just affect a few sounds seems odd to me but maybe it can happen.

5. It still feels to me like this is a config problem in mapping.

The bad news is that I will be spending most of the next 5-6 weeks out of town and will not be able to do any extensive testing. I will be home a day or two here and there so if a new version of the code comes out I will be able to run a quick test and report back but that is about it. I will be following the thread and will provide input if I can help.

Here are a couple of things that I think would be helpful as we go forward.

1. Somebody please test a DE game with the latest shield and original sound package, preferably with the WPC ribbon cable so you can listen to both sounds at once and take the glass off the machine and test as much as you can so we can see if ALL of the sounds are mapped correctly. Like I said, its easy for a game to appear to work correctly but it may not be. If its SW then that is a bonus since me and my buddy both have one we can compare against.

2. Steve, can you test your LW3 with a ribbon cable so you can listen to the entire game simultaneously. Like I said with SW, the first part is correct so I would like to see if any of your sounds are wrong later that may not be obvious. It would also be great if you could try the latest shield just to make sure something didn't go wrong during production or something.

#403 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Today I did a quick test on my JP with latest shield 2.x and latest firmware 1.17 just to reconfirm everything is working well in this combination.

While a lot of your sounds are correct, there are several that are wrong. I also don’t believe the theme is supposed to play all the time. The theme should also stop when you go in Diagnostic mode. The continuous theme started with version 1.17. I went back to 1.14 to get rid of it. Do you have a normal sound board you can put in either JP or LW3 so you can test both it and the Raspi at the same time using a WPC cable?

#405 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Can you please be more specific. "Lots are correct, serveral are wrong" is nothing I can work with. Beside that my impression was more everything was correct all the callouts the jingles were matching the modes. If you refer to the test video specifically just name the timestamp where something doesn't fit.
And no I don't have the JP sound board any more, I sold it a while ago.
I maybe could do such a test on a wpc, but I would like to hear a specific error description first.

Maybe you didn’t read my long post above since you didn’t respond to any of it. I am out of town and can not do any testing. I just know because I have a Pinsound in my JP and I can tell that some are not correct. At some point in the future I might be able to help out more.

#428 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

I read it, but it was also not very specific. Just saying 10-20% are not correct. Especially in my JP I've never experienced that, but the JP used to have an older version of the shield and the firmware as well. This is why I did the test yesterday, but new version of the shield & firmware just confirmed that everything is working well. Maybe you're shield has a problem, like if one of the bits on the 8bit data port is not propagated correctly, this could result in some sound commands to fail? But anyhow: to further dig into that I need a more specific error report.
Br Steve

I mentioned one very specific problem about the attract music.

#429 5 years ago

Ok, I played my JP with Pinsound and your setup is actually working less than I thought. You have a lot of random sounds playing through out the game and attract mode that should not be playing. Because you have no way to test with an original board, it sounds like a JP game so it must be working right. I can assure you that while it sounds like a JP game, it is not working as well as you think.

1. There are random T-rex noises playing during your attract mode that should not be playing.
2. The main theme does not play when you start the machine. It runs through a credit and high score cycle and then shows Universal logo and ET. It then shows the DE logo and when the word "PRESENTS" shows on the DMD, the main these starts. Does your game play the correct music when it gets to the Last Action Hero advertisement? During the game the main theme shuts off when major things happen. One of the most obvious in the video is the freeze ball save. The main theme cuts out and the electric fence sound effect with the voice call out "freeze, don't move" plays. In your video the main theme is playing through this.
3. The main theme is supposed to cut out during the diagnostics menu.
4. During the game, if you just listen close you will hear sounds being played that should not be playing. If you are caught up in the game, I can see that you wouldn't notice.

1 week later
#435 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

So basically, it seems errors are mostly on start/stop of musics. but sfx and other are ok, right ?

Whitestar and WPC sounds are probably 85% correct. DE is a mess.

1 month later
#471 5 years ago

Just throw in my 2 cents in.
I really think everyone should use the stock sound package while we are trying to “fix”things. That way we are all on the same page. Also, if you have an original sound board and can hook it up so it works on the machine at the same time Raspisound is playing on an external speaker that helps to hear problems live as they happen in real time. I explain how I did that earlier in this thread.

Just some thoughts.

3 weeks later
#550 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Steve45
I know it may sound less fun, but accuracy of the sound playing seem (at least to me) the first goal to reach.

I agree

1 week later
#556 5 years ago
Quoted from gern:

Steve, I am very interested in purchasing a kit. I currently have a Lethal Weapon 3 and Data East Batman. I see that version 2 is sold out on your site. Do you have a time table for when they will be back in stock?

If you haven’t read all of the posts you might want to read all my issues with DE and make up your mind then. Lots of issues with DE games. Hopefully they will be fixed but not really usable in my opinion.

#561 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

The issues of wrong sound you had in your installation have nothing to do with general problems with dataeast. I did a lot of testing also with the help of the Pinsiders here and fixed everything.
Just check out my YouTube channel and see (or better) for yourself. The latest version even comes with a webUI that makes testing and adjusting very easy.
And of course you could always choose to go with the alternative form the french guys
Br Steve

That’s interesting because I did a ton of testing and posted several specific problems and you didn’t respond to anything and I don’t think DE has even been mentioned since then. It wasn’t just me that was having a problem. I have a buddy that also tested Star Wars and LW3 with similar results. I even pointed out many problems in you JP video but got no response from you. I will try the new version and see if anything g has changed.

#565 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Are you sure that the soundset you are using does not contain the "errors" you are talking about? I think you should separate between technical issues and issues that may be caused by the soundset configuration. Steve can only solve technical issues e.g. soundcommands not recognized. Wrong sound mappings can and need to be identified and fixed by yourself. Soundsets are only as good as their authors .

As stated in my testing posts. I only use default sound sets for testing and I run the Raspi board and the original board at the same time so I hear exactly what is supposed to be played from the real board and the raspi at the same time.i have done this with multiple titles.

#567 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Are you sure that all sounds from the "default" soundsets are categorized and mapped correctly ? Do you have examples like "it is playing this sound ID but should be playing this sound ID ? Maybe you are missing a data line due to a solder error or defective component.

Yes. I have provided those details and confirmed it with another user. The sound sets are from Pinsound with mapping files from Steve.

I haven’t had a chance to try the newest version.
I have checked every single solder point and verified every connection. I asked if a chip problem could cause this and was told no.

2 months later
#763 4 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

A friend of mine did a quick test with a blue 2.5 TILT!Audio board on a data east StarWars. Works like a charm:

(thx Ralf for providing the video)
Br Steve

This is obviously an alternate sound package but there are a few sounds that are left over from the original sound package that are playing at the wrong time. For example, “Death Star approaching” doesn’t play when the ball is ejected into the shooter lane. It plays when the Death Star target is hit with the required amount of time. I would like to see a video of the original sound package and compare to the real sound board.

1 week later
#774 4 years ago

I read back through the posts but can’t find the information I was looking for.
With the new firmware I thought I read that the mapping file is no longer needed. Is this correct? Also, where are the sounds downloaded from. Are we still getting the packages from Pinsound? I thought this was one of the problems they had with this project.
I also want to confirm that the new firmware will work with version 2 boards?

#776 4 years ago

Can you be more specific on sound package locations on the internet? I have searched and found not VP sound sets on VPForums or VPuniverse.

Quoted from steve45:

There's a lot of sound packages available online. TILT!Audio support 4 different formats until now and I guess there's nobody out there ended up with having built a kit but no sound.
Yes the new firmware will also work with version 2.x shields.
No idea about the Frenchman, I push my project forward and there was a lot of progress and new features.
Br Steve

2 months later
#861 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

I know Steve posted a star wars video from a friend of his. Maybe Steve can get a copy of his sound set. I would like to get this running correctly, I have been working on it since February!

In the video, the sounds were not correct and I pointed it out and never got any replies. I worked with SW for months and never got it to work so I gave up. I still monitor this thread waiting for a breakthrough but for now, good luck.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 259.00
$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Lake Elsinore, CA
$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 27.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Lonzo.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi?tu=Lonzo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.