New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 179619)

Rebuilding sound for DataEast & WPC using a pi

By steve45

3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 1,123 posts
  • 72 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by Magiske
  • Topic is favorited by 109 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 98 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

tiltaudio_pcb (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200930-201337_Gallery (resized).jpg
20200721_212621 (resized).jpg
Screenshot from 2020-06-27 15-16-49 (resized).png
942D17A9-F104-4176-8B0D-D968E1BFBD4B (resized).jpeg
photo_8301142032747779218 (resized).jpg
ta-2.5f-fix (resized).png
ta-2.5e-fix (resized).png
ta-2.5e-fix.geaendert (resized).png
ta-2.5f-fix.geaendert (resized).png
ta-2.5-layout-error.geaendert (resized).png
e (resized).jpg
f (resized).jpg
15653680252735480358201579305895 (resized).jpg
15653679958703417177809815257059 (resized).jpg
Tilt audio assembled (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Geteos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#811 1 year ago

Just ordered a pair of boards, one for my getaway and another for my Jurassic Park. Can’t wait to get them and start tinkering!

1 month later
#840 1 year ago

Working on getting my board installed in my Getaway. So far I have v1.25 loaded up, when testing over HDMI the intro sound plays along with the serial number etc. When placed I place it into the assembled board I can't seem to get audio out through the built in amps. I have a speaker on the right channel of the BB speakers right now. I can hear it humming, but no sounds. I can connect to the tilt server over wifi so I've tried changing the audio device but none of them will output anything.

The DAC's led lights up red so it looks like it's getting power. I originally had all 4 legs connected to the left part of the board L, AGnd, R, AGnd, but went back and desoldered the two AGnd points as per a post above.

I've tried updating the firmware using the browsers update, but it doesn't seem to work. I put the file on the sd card in the root Tilt folder and named it update.zip but I can't seem to select it when browsing. I also tried selecting the file from my computer, but it still seems stuck on 1.25. Am I missing something here? Should I just download and reimage my sd card with the 1.27 image that Steve provided? ( I missed it the first time).

Feels like I'm getting close, so any input would be great. Thanks.

#843 1 year ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Geteos did you try to create an update folder and put the zip in it ?

Ah no, I didn't. I was just putting it into the root.

I ended up creating a new image for 1.27, I'm planning on testing it this week. But I'll try to update to 1.28 using an update folder.

Thanks!

1 week later
#849 1 year ago

So I'm getting a bit closer but still not working the way I need it to.

I flashed 1.27 onto a 16gb card along with a custom sound set I found online.

Two problems:
1. I tried hooking up a speaker to the board itself but no matter which playback device I choose nothing will play.

2. I tried hooking up a speaker to the line out on the Pi board itself and chose the device. With this config, some of the effects play back, but I'm getting no music. I checked the logs and I'm getting this error.

2019-07-22 21:37:12.326 WARN SndServi [handleSoundByTypeWithIdx] [sdl_sound.c:1422] sample for id '55' not found

What do I have to change to get this to trigger the music properly?

#851 1 year ago

That seemed to do it, the set he sent me works. Still don't have the onboard amps or DAC working, but outputting thru the Pi's 3.5mm jack to an amplified speaker works for now. Might have to just pick up a 2 channel external amp and some car speakers to replace the ones in the panel for now.

Where in the options can I change the mixing when multiple tracks are playing at once, right now the music fade out is a bit too much when an effect plays.

#854 1 year ago
Quoted from kba78:

Been a while since I have messed with mine, because it's been down. But I thinks if you click on each song/ sounds, you can adjust the gain and stuff like that at the bottom of the sample screen in the web ui

Thanks, yea I managed to find the mixing section.

It's starting to come together, but I'm still having issues with the onboard DAC and amps... I reached out to Steve on slack to see if he has any ideas on what to check. I'll report back if I figure out what is causing my issue.

If I want to add my own soundtrack, is it just a matter of creating sound bites in the correct format (.ogg) and renaming them to match the string that corresponds to the sound? (Obviously, creating the correct folder/file structure as the standard sound set).

2 months later
#976 1 year ago

It takes a few minutes for the whole thing to boot up and display the hotspot.

I was getting no sound using the built in amps so I ended up using a separate amp running from the pi's headphone jack. It is working fairly well on my HSII now, still have a bit of an issue with the background music fading out when an SFX plays but otherwise the SFXs play at the right times. I'm using the original display too.

Reading a few pages back I wonder if fixing the ground issue might fix the internal amp issue too? It would be nice to use those instead of an external amp.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 96.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 21.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Machine - For Sale
San Diego, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Sadsburyville, PA
$ 49.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
$ 7,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 175.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
$ 15.00
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Massapequa, NY
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 9.90
Playfields
The Super Fasteners
$ 29.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Full Tilt Pinball LEDs
$ 139.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 229.99
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Pinball Haus

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Geteos.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside