rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 41.
#1 7 years ago

Hi,

inspired from a thread in the german flippermarkt forum I build a complete sound replacement for data east pinball & wpc. It is based on a raspberry pi and a couple of standard components, a piece of software and - of course - new sounds.

You can find a detailed description here: http://pinball-mods.de/2017/01/27/new-pinball-sound-for-de/

Sounds are replaceable and switchable, so you can use more than one sound set and choose while playing. Sounds are simple WAV files on the pi's filesystem on the sd card, so they are easy to change. The software uses the exact same directory structure as pinsound, so the soundsets from pinsound can be used out of the box.

Some impressions:

or

Steve

#2 7 years ago

Steve,

That sounds great! Did you need to re-sample each and every sound bite? How do you map the sound to events on the playfield?

Curious

#3 7 years ago

No sounds can downloaded from pinsound forum or extracted from game Roms with tools like M1.

Sounds get triggert by the CPU from the original game code just like the normal sound card.

- Steve

2 weeks later
#4 7 years ago

turn this in to a good orchestrated and timed working plug and play out of the box mod, and take my money!!!

2 weeks later
#5 7 years ago

So far its not really plug and play, but I can deliver a ready to use pcb as adapter for raspberry pi / data east pinball machine and a ready to go sd card image.

All you have to add is:
- of course sounds
- some amplifier but there quite a few choices for that, just look at ebay for "2.1 Digital Audio Amplifier"
- maybe some extra power supply (to get rid of any noise)

- Steve

6 months later
#6 6 years ago

Forgot to mention: there is a new new clip with more or less the finished solution.

What is still missing is a better light control for gi. This is still in development.

#7 6 years ago

it sounds great

Will there also be a version on Williams / Bally and Stern ??

#8 6 years ago

I've started working on Williams, but I'm kind of stuck at the moment. Maybe Christoph the project initiator will join me again to make some progress with williams and the other systems.

#9 6 years ago

I've got a Data East Monday Night Football that is having major speech issues...would something like this work there?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from ejacques:

I've got a Data East Monday Night Football that is having major speech issues...would something like this work there?

Monday Night Football is DE Rev2, not sure if this will work. Not tested it so far, so I doubt it will work without changes. Unfortunately I don't have a rev2 to test. Sorry.

#11 6 years ago

This looks very promising, thanks for sharing! I might need to give it a try. Has the sound been running stable where you just turn it on and works consistently? I want to see if I can get it "family friendly" once setup.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from kts1419:

This looks very promising, thanks for sharing! I might need to give it a try. Has the sound been running stable where you just turn it on and works consistently? I want to see if I can get it "family friendly" once setup.

As far as I can see, yes. It still takes some time to boot up, I would normally the machine is ready to play faster. But especially for JP where the machine normally always does this t-rex testing, it is ready right in time.

And there's also a configurable boot sound and some progress notification when sound are loaded in memory (if configured) so you get an acoustic feedback of what's happing.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

So far its not really plug and play, but I can deliver a ready to use pcb as adapter for raspberry pi / data east pinball machine and a ready to go sd card image.

So I have a Pi3 and USB soundcard. From what I can figure out, I just need the PCB adapter card and the software license from you, and also need to download the SD card image. So about 25 euros from your store?

Chris

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

So I have a Pi3 and USB soundcard. From what I can figure out, I just need the PCB adapter card and the software license from you, and also need to download the SD card image. So about 25 euros from your store?
Chris

Yes the pcb mainly holds the level shifter that are required for the PI. For DE there is a replacement for the remote volume rotary included as well. It also controls the soundset setup if you have more than one. You can also go with a kit and do the soldering for yourself.

But other than this is it. Of course you need an additional external amplifier like described in the blog post.

I try to add shipping to the US to the shop. If not available simply send me a pm

#15 6 years ago

Not to forget: actual software is working only for DataEast, WPC will come but not ready yet.

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Not to forget: actual software is working only for DataEast, WPC will come but not ready yet.

This would be for a Data East (LW3). Good to know about the volume knob replacement, that was another question. I have amps/speakers to test with, and will purchase something that will fit in the backbox once I'm happy with it.

Still a bit confused on the software, do I just download the free SD card image, or do I need the RasPiSound license as well?

Thanks!

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from cabuford:

Still a bit confused on the software, do I just download the free SD card image, or do I need the RasPiSound license as well?
Thanks!

The free SD card image has the complete linux and also the software included. So far it runs without restrictions but stops working after 5 minutes and asks you to register.
To get rid of this you need to add a license file to the SD card. If you order a complete set including a license everything is preinstalled. If you already have a raspberry pi you need to order the license separately because it depends on the Pi's serial number.

Hope this helps.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

The free SD card image has the complete linux and also the software included. So far it runs without restrictions but stops working after 5 minutes and asks you to register.
To get rid of this you need to add a license file to the SD card. If you order a complete set including a license everything is preinstalled. If you already have a raspberry pi you need to order the license separately because it depends on the Pi's serial number.
Hope this helps.

That answers all my questions! Thanks!

2 months later
#19 6 years ago

I finally managed to get a first test running also on a WPC machine. A different adapter pcb is needed to do some address decoding in hardware, but it looks very promising. I can already read all the wpc sound commands on the console of to pi.

Need to adapt the software as a next step and then it should run on wpc machines as well.

I will provide some video if the first wpc machine is running.

CU Steve

#20 6 years ago

I bought one a few weeks ago for my DESW and it is super-awesome! I've had a blast playing with sounds and music. Shipping was fast as were answers to my questions. Highly recommend

#21 6 years ago

I finally managed to do some real test on a real wpc machine, Dr. Who in this case. It works quite well as you can see:

PCBs for the new shield are already ordered. Need to do some more tests on different wpc machines, but I'm confident ...

The demo uses a nice sound set from pinballshark thanks for that.

/Steve

#22 6 years ago

Sweet! Can't wait for the how-to.

#23 6 years ago

There is already some howto on my blog here http://pinball-mods.de/2017/01/27/new-pinball-sound-for-de/ and here http://pinball-mods.de/2017/03/19/howto-for-rasberry-pinball-sound/.

It basically refers to a dataeast machine, but beside the fact that I created a new shield for WPC, everything mentioned there could also be applied to wpc.

Also you can get the raspberry shield or a complete kit in my shop http://go-dmd.de/shop. As mentioned by the pinsider Vader77 it is not so hard to build a very nice sound enhancement with some hours of work.

Br Steve

#24 6 years ago

Ordered!

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

PCBs for the new shield are already ordered. Need to do some more tests on different wpc machines, but I'm confident ...
The demo uses a nice sound set from pinballshark thanks for that.
/Steve

I'm sorry Steve, but I did not understand, you wrote that you have ordered new pcbs for WPC, and your shop is already available for purchase

Will STERN Whitestar also be available?

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from fly:

I'm sorry Steve, but I did not understand, you wrote that you have ordered new pcbs for WPC, and your shop is already available for purchase.
Will STERN Whitestar also be available?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes it is already in the shop. But it is the old version (only dataeast) and this one is in stock. New PCBs for WPC arriving this Friday.

You can either wait until final tests are done or proceed and order already.

Stern / Whitestar requires additional effort, because sound is integrated with the cpu board and there is no header, where you can pull out the signals. And I don't have a Stern / Whitestar in my collection, so nothing to experiment. So maybe not.

Steve

#27 6 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Sorry for the misunderstanding. Yes it is already in the shop. But it is the old version (only dataeast) and this one is in stock. New PCBs for WPC arriving this Friday.
You can either wait until final tests are done or proceed and order already.
Stern / Whitestar requires additional effort, because sound is integrated with the cpu board and there is no header, where you can pull out the signals. And I don't have a Stern / Whitestar in my collection, so nothing to experiment. So maybe not.
Steve

I understand,
I'm ordering now

#28 6 years ago

To make mounting the whole stuff even easier, I have ordered some laser cut acryl that has the same dimensions as the original soundcard 153x208 mm. It can be used as mounting plate to assemble all part like Raspberry Pi, amplifiers, usb soundcard ...

I will also share the svg file, so everybody can do the cutting / order individually. Otherwise I have some "left overs" that are available here: http://go-dmd.de/produkt/wpc-montage-platte-fuer-raspisound/.

/Steve

panel-20171130_174317s (resized).jpgpanel-20171130_174317s (resized).jpg

#29 6 years ago

Today the PCBs arrived from manufacturer. I've already assembled some kits and also two ready to use shields. Testing is all good so far. Pending orders will be shipped on Monday

Cheers Steve

20171201_134803xxs (resized).jpg20171201_134803xxs (resized).jpg

20171201_134723xs (resized).jpg20171201_134723xs (resized).jpg

20171201_135742xs (resized).jpg20171201_135742xs (resized).jpg

#31 6 years ago

I have a few Sega Whitestar games if you need someone to test. I don't know much about but I'm a computer geek by trade so I have a good understanding of electronics.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Evilive69:

I have a few Sega Whitestar games if you need someone to test. I don't know much about but I'm a computer geek by trade so I have a good understanding of electronics.

Good to know, thank you for that. Even if its maybe easier to have someone in the same timezone. I'm 6 hours ahead, which will make test session more challenging

Best Steve

#33 6 years ago

I finally had time over the weekend to build something for my getaway. I used the mounting plate shown in one of the previous posts, two amplifier modules and a completely new speaker set: two McGee for the backbox and a bigger visatone for the cabinet.

Sound is created by a usb soundcard not with build in sound from the pi. Mounting is easy as it just replaces the original soundcard. As you can see there is also a pin2dmd led dmd installed.

20171204_221608s (resized).jpg20171204_221608s (resized).jpg
20171204_221603s (resized).jpg20171204_221603s (resized).jpg
20171204_193652s (resized).jpg20171204_193652s (resized).jpg

To get an impression how it "feels" watch:

The video features 3 different soundsets from Mr_Tantrum, that can be switched by reducing volume to zero and then pressing "decrease volume" again.

As always it sounds much better in real life as in the mobile phone video

Cheers Steve

PS: forgot to mention: I use a new 12V power supply for sound, no extra load on the old transformer.

2 weeks later
#34 6 years ago

Got one assembled and working on my fish tales. Still waiting on 12v power supply before I rig it up (and another for my whitewater)
Steve made a few code tweaks for me same day. Thanks! Very cool project!!
I can't wait for the whitewater reorchestration... whenever that gets done.

1 week later
#35 6 years ago

Today the new PCBs from china arrived, together with some amplifier moduls that could be mounted directly on the main PCB. This make assembling of a RasPiSound board really easy. Additionally the board is optimized for use with Pi zero, which can be mounted on top (see images).

A short test video is available on my channel

After I updated shop offerings, you can also order this new kit including amplifiers.

Best Steve

20180102_161637e (resized).jpg20180102_161637e (resized).jpg

20180102_161454e (resized).jpg20180102_161454e (resized).jpg

20180102_161434e (resized).jpg20180102_161434e (resized).jpg

#36 6 years ago

Software version 1.8 is out see changelog http://go-dmd.de/changelog/#raspinsound
Wpc Dcs is now working as well.
For testing you can now also record and playback game sessions.

#37 6 years ago

A great project,
thank you Steve for all the help .

Sound set: Remastered V 1.2

#38 6 years ago

New version of the RasPiSound hardware is now also available ...

completely assembled (only USB card, speaker cables to add):
http://go-dmd.de/produkt/komplett-set-raspberry-pinball-sound-v1-9/

or as a kit for self assembling / soldering:
http://go-dmd.de/produkt/kit-v1-9-fuer-raspberry-pinball-sound-projekt/

Note: the kit offering actually only contains pictures of the assembled PCB. But you still need to build it!! I will update the pictures ASAP.

Thx Steve

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

New version of the RasPiSound hardware is now also available ...
completely assembled (only USB card, speaker cables to add):
http://go-dmd.de/produkt/komplett-set-raspberry-pinball-sound-v1-9/
or as a kit for self assembling / soldering:
http://go-dmd.de/produkt/kit-v1-9-fuer-raspberry-pinball-sound-projekt/
Note: the kit offering actually only contains pictures of the assembled PCB. But you still need to build it!! I will update the pictures ASAP.
Thx Steve

Steve -

Does this work for any WPC game? Or just WPC89 ? I am curious if it could be used in a WPC95 game to replace the A/V board?

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Steve -
Does this work for any WPC game? Or just WPC89 ? I am curious if it could be used in a WPC95 game to replace the A/V board?

Disclamer: I did not have the time to test this until now, but ...

As the WPC95 A/V board is just a combination of the "old" sound board and the DMD board, you should be able to replace the audio part. This could be done by just unplugging the audio output of the original board and using raspisound instead. It should also be possible to replace the complete A/V board by a combination of raspisound and an older WPC DMD controller.

In either case you need a new ribbon cable for the data connection from MPU.

It basically should work like this: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-wpc95-audiovideo-board-replacement

Br Steve

1 week later
#41 6 years ago

Gonna give this a try in my JP

Kit is ordered, SD card already prepped and look forward to receiving it and trying it out. Hopefully somewhere next week

#42 6 years ago

Sigh... another project for me

#43 6 years ago

Just ordered a complete kit with the rest of the parts from amazon!

I wasn’t sure if I had to add the license with the complete kit or not as I have no idea what my serial number on the Pi will be.

If needed I will order after the fact.

This is amazing! I have been putting Pinsound boards in games but this ends up being about 1/3 the cost.

3 weeks later
#44 6 years ago

Hi,
Some question :

- Any luck for stern, as they basically are updated DE ? My LOTR would be happy!
- Pi zero or Pi3, any difference at the end ?
- Booting time wise, what's the best setup and Linux distrib ? What is the current timing to have sound on cold boot ?
- did you explain somewhere the relay for a shaker ? I would like to have my tommy linked not only to propellers, but also to some sounds.
- Would it be possible to add 3 channels for additional toy triggering, like the shaker? That we could call based on sound ? A chimebox in the tommy would be easy that way.

Thanks

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hi,
Some question :
- Any luck for stern, as they basically are updated DE ? My LOTR would be happy!
- Booting time wise, what's the best setup and Linux distrib ? What is the current timing to have sound on cold boot ?
- did you explain somewhere the relay for a shaker ? I would like to have my tommy linked not only to propellers, but also to some sounds.
- Would it be possible to add 3 channels for additional toy triggering, like the shaker? That we could call based on sound ? A chimebox in the tommy would be easy that way.
Thanks

As far as I know from German forum

1) Stern lot more difficult as there is not a separate soundboard. A kind of adapter would be needed to grasp the signals from the cpu. Pinsound has one for Whitestar
2) I am running a raspberry zero which does the job just fine. Guess a pi3 would just be faster in booting? My cold boot time is 35 seconds (no preloading).
3 and 4) for Steve to answer.

#46 6 years ago

Wow this is awesome! It looks like it'll fill in a gap in the freewpc project I have been looking to take on. Project was a no go without sound but it looks like it solves the issue rather well. 1 thing im confused about: does this still need an external power supply or does it draw power from the original power connection now?

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from lurch:

Wow this is awesome! It looks like it'll fill in a gap in the freewpc project I have been looking to take on. Project was a no go without sound but it looks like it solves the issue rather well. 1 thing im confused about: does this still need an external power supply or does it draw power from the original power connection now?

regarding power there is of course the option to pull the power from the original power supply. My latest boards also have a dc-dc regulator on board so that PI and amplifiers can use the same power source. But I still recommend a new separat power supply. If you want to have a crystal clear sound and avoid any interference with the original machine, use a separate power supply. They are cheap and not that hard to install, although you need to grab from mains.

Br Steve

#48 6 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hi,
Some question :

Whitestar is indeed more or less like DataEast without separate sound board. One could in fact use the adapter pinsound is selling, it should work with LOTR, it will be handled like DE. But I haven't designed a PCB for that, its just address decoding pulled from the CPU directly. Any volunteers?

Quoted from BENETNATH:

Performance is better with Pi3. Faster bootup time, can hold all sound in main memory, avoid some (rare) delays on first load of a sample.

Quoted from BENETNATH:

The actual image has a minimal arch linux bundled with it. Start time is (on Pi3) <20 sec.

Quoted from BENETNATH:

Thanks

The wiring for the shaker is: the TX-Pin is controlling the shaker motor (either active high or low, configurable). You need to add a small driver circuit or relay in between, like one of these https://www.amazon.de/SainSmart-Kanäle-Relais-Modul-Brett-Arduino-2/dp/B005WR753Q. They are completely decoupled by an opto and can directly driven from the Pi.

The general expansion idea to have more than just a shaker is indeed the UART interface that is exposed on the adapter board. I will simply output the sample ID when a sound is played, so that a secondary board (or many of these) can listen and control additional toys. But this is not ready yet / no tested, just as idea.

Of course one could also simply add control of more GPIO pins instead of just TX for controlling a shaker.

Thx Steve

#49 6 years ago

Thanks, i'll follow the dev progression

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Whitestar is indeed more or less like DataEast without separate sound board. One could in fact use the adapter pinsound is selling, it should work with LOTR, it will be handled like DE. But I haven't designed a PCB for that, its just address decoding pulled from the CPU directly. Any volunteers?

I can buy this adapter and check if it works, only that I bought a few sets of RasPinsound but versions for williams, would I have to buy another one for the Data East version ??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 185.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Machine - For Sale
York, SC
Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 12.99
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 24.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi?hl=vader77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.