rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 41.
#401 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Steve45 : can you confirm this wiring ? I have a 5V relay board for arduino, a 12V shaker and a 5V DC power unit. The shaker is well driven by the power unit so i would give a try. I am not familiar with these boards.
[quoted image]
We would really need a place to set up a documentation, would you open a wiki on the pinball-mods page or something like that ? A lot of people are interested but we are relying a lot on your replies. Keep it up !!

Not sure want's so complicated with controlling a relay with a gpio pin that is available on a header marked with TX. Not sure want kind of relay card you have on your picture but there are relay cards out there that can be directly controlled by a 3.3 V gpio output pin from a pi. That's what I have used. I posted the general approach a few post above.

All the rest: like power from a switched power supply, a PWM regulator for motor speed, the motor itself has nothing to do with RasPiSound directly. You can (and should) test this independently. If you're not sure about the relay, check specifications or test with a dmm. GPIO from pi is limited to 3.3V and about 16mA.

If you want to write an article and publish something on pinball-mods.de I will publish it, or get you an account. Just send me your stuff, no problem with that. Or use some free project hosting service like https://ourproject.org/ or similiar

#402 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

Steve, what sd cards are you using ??
  I will assemble the same equipment as yours, maybe it will work well with me then.

san disk most of the time, but other than avoiding no name cards there's no strict rule. I also tested a few others, never had any problems like you.

#403 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Today I did a quick test on my JP with latest shield 2.x and latest firmware 1.17 just to reconfirm everything is working well in this combination.

While a lot of your sounds are correct, there are several that are wrong. I also don’t believe the theme is supposed to play all the time. The theme should also stop when you go in Diagnostic mode. The continuous theme started with version 1.17. I went back to 1.14 to get rid of it. Do you have a normal sound board you can put in either JP or LW3 so you can test both it and the Raspi at the same time using a WPC cable?

#404 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

While a lot of your sounds are correct, there are several that are wrong. I also don’t believe the theme is supposed to play all the time. The theme should also stop when you go in Diagnostic mode. The continuous theme started with version 1.17. I went back to 1.14 to get rid of it. Do you have a normal sound board you can put in either JP or LW3 so you can test both it and the Raspi at the same time using a WPC cable?

Can you please be more specific. "Lots are correct, serveral are wrong" is nothing I can work with. Beside that my impression was more everything was correct all the callouts the jingles were matching the modes. If you refer to the test video specifically just name the timestamp where something doesn't fit.

And no I don't have the JP sound board any more, I sold it a while ago.

I maybe could do such a test on a wpc, but I would like to hear a specific error description first.

#405 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Can you please be more specific. "Lots are correct, serveral are wrong" is nothing I can work with. Beside that my impression was more everything was correct all the callouts the jingles were matching the modes. If you refer to the test video specifically just name the timestamp where something doesn't fit.
And no I don't have the JP sound board any more, I sold it a while ago.
I maybe could do such a test on a wpc, but I would like to hear a specific error description first.

Maybe you didn’t read my long post above since you didn’t respond to any of it. I am out of town and can not do any testing. I just know because I have a Pinsound in my JP and I can tell that some are not correct. At some point in the future I might be able to help out more.

#406 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Maybe you didn’t read my long post above since you didn’t respond to any of it. I am out of town and can not do any testing. I just know because I have a Pinsound in my JP and I can tell that some are not correct. At some point in the future I might be able to help out more.

I read it, but it was also not very specific. Just saying 10-20% are not correct. Especially in my JP I've never experienced that, but the JP used to have an older version of the shield and the firmware as well. This is why I did the test yesterday, but new version of the shield & firmware just confirmed that everything is working well. Maybe you're shield has a problem, like if one of the bits on the 8bit data port is not propagated correctly, this could result in some sound commands to fail? But anyhow: to further dig into that I need a more specific error report.

Br Steve

#407 5 years ago

Added mapping for MSF remix 1.4 see https://github.com/sker65/RasPiSound/tree/master/config/Mary_Shelley_s_Frankenstein_1.4

Will do a demo on my MSF soon.

#408 5 years ago

I am hoping to take some time these next weeks to test the RasPiSound on my MB soon!

#409 5 years ago

Hello Guys,

i took some time today to put this relay board and the raspinsound together.
The result is in video in the folder : https://photos.app.goo.gl/xXPRYjXLR9GjMDSp8 (5min38 video, my blanket survived !)

For non-video people, the bottom line is that it works perfectly.
I had to put the invert function of the shaker, and connect it to the NC plot, to avoid shaker activation during the pi booting.
i pasted a shaker.txt file in the sfx subfolder activated when launching the ball, and it worked every time the sfx got played.

That's really great !

shaker (resized).jpgshaker (resized).jpg

Beware of the wiring, that's feasible like this only because i'm using a 5V power unit

Now, i need to add a LOT of shaking effects

But we need also to have some improvement on reliability of the sound played, especially for background music.
On Ball 1, i never have background music
No attract music too, just sounds when pushing buttons.

So that's nearly good but not perfect !

#410 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hello Guys,
i took some time today to put this relay board and the raspinsound together.
The result is in video in the folder : https://photos.app.goo.gl/xXPRYjXLR9GjMDSp8 (5min38 video, my blanket survived !)
For non-video people, the bottom line is that it works perfectly.
I had to put the invert function of the shaker, and connect it to the NC plot, to avoid shaker activation during the pi booting.
i pasted a shaker.txt file in the sfx subfolder activated when launching the ball, and it worked every time the sfx got played.
That's really great !
[quoted image]
Beware of the wiring, that's feasible like this only because i'm using a 5V power unit
Now, i need to add a LOT of shaking effects
But we need also to have some improvement on reliability of the sound played, especially for background music.
On Ball 1, i never have background music
No attract music too, just sounds when pushing buttons.
So that's nearly good but not perfect !

Still, this shaker solution is out BEFORE the Pinsound solution; and they have been working on this for 3 years!

#411 5 years ago
#412 5 years ago

As this one is based on the LOTR_OST (also stated in the intro posting), you can use the same descramble file. You can see this by just comparing the numbers in the directory names for a specific music or jingle. When you compare the sound sets, you see that the number are the same.

#413 5 years ago

OK, I will give a try.
Any idea about issues in background music?

#414 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

OK, I will give a try.
Any idea about issues in background music?

Please, let know if it works, I'm very curious

#415 5 years ago

today I tested on the samsung 16gb card, and program starts.
Unfortunately, there is no sound is it possible that the board 1.7 version may not work with this ??
in logs Everything is "DEBUG"

#416 5 years ago

What's your config file?
Do you hear the version number?
How do you output sound?

#417 5 years ago

ver 1.17
configuration file from Steve, LOTR_OST
Yes, I hear the version number, preload etc,
The sound comes out via a USB card or a PI3 jack on the headphones

#418 5 years ago

Are you able to connect via ssh on ethernet?
I can't login with pi/pi or root/root

Do you have the pinsound Whitestar adapter blinking when sounds are playing?

#419 5 years ago

as I connect through raspberry consoles, I can play sounds,
Yes,pinsound adapter blinking

#420 5 years ago

You can play sound through console.
Pinsound adapter working.
So either a bad ribbon, a bad connection (try to invert cable) or bad raspinsound board..

#421 5 years ago

I got the ribbon together with the adapter, and the connection, the red cable of pin 1

#422 5 years ago

fly if you're connected to the console as root. you should first stop the background service by typing 'systemctl stop pinsound'.
The go to the directory /home/pi/despi and start ./despi -d /boot/data/sound

Doing this you see RasPiSound running in the foreground as console process. You can use all keyboard commands as described in the FAQ. Especially 'q' to quit.
If you use a usb sound card you should set AUDIODEV environment variable before starting, by 'export AUDIODEV=hw,0' -> stupid auto emoji it is hw<colon>1,0

For debugging this is much easier as always "only" looking at logfiles. For every command coming from the main cpu you should see a log entry from the pincom module like '2018-11-04 12:18:52.081 DEBUG [stbInterrupt] [pincom.c:91] stb int. address 138 0x8a'

HTH

#423 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

fly if you're connected to the console as root. you should first stop the background service by typing 'systemctl stop pinsound'.
The go to the directory /home/pi/despi and start ./despi -d /boot/data/sound
Doing this you see RasPiSound running in the foreground as console process. You can use all keyboard commands as described in the FAQ. Especially 'q' to quit.
If you use a usb sound card you should set AUDIODEV environment variable before starting, by 'export AUDIODEV=hw,0'

Steve I know, I'm doing exactly as you wrote
And it works on the console.
It does not work when connected to a pinball

#424 5 years ago

steve45 : Steve, is there a cache folder ? When i'm changing from LORD OST to thewool ; it's the same descramble file, but it seems that doesn't change anything..
And there is still a big issue with music loops in background, either not starting or not ending..

#425 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

steve45 : Steve, is there a cache folder ? When i'm changing from LORD OST to thewool ; it's the same descramble file, but it seems that doesn't change anything..
And there is still a big issue with music loops in background, either not starting or not ending..

No there is no caching. You should of course restart when changing files.

And I cannot help if you not at least provide some logfile or something. I cannot simply guess what's going wrong based your description

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#426 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

Steve I know, I'm doing exactly as you wrote
And it works on the console.
It does not work when connected to a pinball

What I'm trying to tell you that you can run it on the console WHILE connected to the pinball.

But to be honest - and please don't get me wrong on this - don't you think it would be better for you just to buy a pinsound board or stick with the original sound card?

For some reason, and I don't want to elaborate on this, you seem to attract any possible problem.

I mean I do the best I can to support you, but believe it or not, you're by far the top scorer in asking questions and getting feedback.

RasPiSound is still a project to build your own sound system based on my firmware and kits, but you have to build it for yourself.

Br Steve

#427 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

No there is no caching. You should of course restart when changing files.
And I cannot help if you not at least provide some logfile or something. I cannot simply guess what's going wrong based your description

I totally get that Steve.
What would be your need ? log verbose at 4 and running some games ?
In the video linked for shaker demo (https://photos.app.goo.gl/ecqccxpFGBjCLDNT6) you can see that background music never starts on ball 1.

I've ordered a Pi3B to replace Pi2, and i will do a test and send you logfiles. Raspberry Pi 2 might just be too slow to handle everything.

#428 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

I read it, but it was also not very specific. Just saying 10-20% are not correct. Especially in my JP I've never experienced that, but the JP used to have an older version of the shield and the firmware as well. This is why I did the test yesterday, but new version of the shield &amp; firmware just confirmed that everything is working well. Maybe you're shield has a problem, like if one of the bits on the 8bit data port is not propagated correctly, this could result in some sound commands to fail? But anyhow: to further dig into that I need a more specific error report.
Br Steve

I mentioned one very specific problem about the attract music.

#429 5 years ago

Ok, I played my JP with Pinsound and your setup is actually working less than I thought. You have a lot of random sounds playing through out the game and attract mode that should not be playing. Because you have no way to test with an original board, it sounds like a JP game so it must be working right. I can assure you that while it sounds like a JP game, it is not working as well as you think.

1. There are random T-rex noises playing during your attract mode that should not be playing.
2. The main theme does not play when you start the machine. It runs through a credit and high score cycle and then shows Universal logo and ET. It then shows the DE logo and when the word "PRESENTS" shows on the DMD, the main these starts. Does your game play the correct music when it gets to the Last Action Hero advertisement? During the game the main theme shuts off when major things happen. One of the most obvious in the video is the freeze ball save. The main theme cuts out and the electric fence sound effect with the voice call out "freeze, don't move" plays. In your video the main theme is playing through this.
3. The main theme is supposed to cut out during the diagnostics menu.
4. During the game, if you just listen close you will hear sounds being played that should not be playing. If you are caught up in the game, I can see that you wouldn't notice.

#430 5 years ago

steve45 : Steve, can you check about the difference between 1.14 and 1.17 related to background music ? it seems that multiple users get the same feeling.
I'm getting my two new Pi3 soon and i'll do a proper test on whitestar.

Quick poll :
- how many did tests on whitestar with 1.17 ?
- how many did test WPC with 1.17 and getting issues on music which were not present in 1.14
- how many have a working setup on WPC or Data east ?

#431 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Quick poll :
- how many did tests on whitestar with 1.17 ?

I did these tests, unfortunately it does not work well, as you wrote after starting the game music does not turn on, only at the second ball, the next problem is the sounds of eg missions, do not turn off only non-stop are played, some sounds do not work at all.

1 week later
#432 5 years ago

Hello,

i finally had some time to give a try.
I have a Pi 3 model B, i have 2 soundset folder.
Initially, folder "1" was containing thewool mix ; i renamed it as "2"
I then downloaded the "lord_of_the_rings_original" soundset and put it in a folder "1" as i wanted to get the original sounds to compare. I added the raspinsound config to this folder.
I cleared the log file and here is the result:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/15zvU-iqDkVZI-azTAPpfo01kqPTJfcHY?usp=sharing

There is a video (sorry for the sms notifications ) and the logfile.

First weird thing, you will see that the soundset used is the folder "2"

Secondly, the sounds are mostly ok from what i eared

Main issue is the music not initializing at the first ball. I don't know why but it's consistent. Works well for ball 2 and 3 but never on ball 1

steve45 : what do you need in addition ?

#433 5 years ago

I think there are more errors.
For example, the music "path of the dead" does not turn off.
After starting the mission (no matter what), there are also errors.
Music when you lock the ball on the multiball "Two Towers" also does not work properly. e.t.c
I have almost identical logs as yours.

#434 5 years ago

So basically, it seems errors are mostly on start/stop of musics. but sfx and other are ok, right ?

#435 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

So basically, it seems errors are mostly on start/stop of musics. but sfx and other are ok, right ?

Whitestar and WPC sounds are probably 85% correct. DE is a mess.

#436 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

... but sfx and other are ok, right ?

I think so too,

1 week later
#437 5 years ago

Hi @steve45, I bet that you are really busy but could we know if you are still working on this project and how we can help you?

#438 5 years ago

Steve is pretty busy with his real work lately but I´m sure he will return to his hobby projects when he has some spare time again.

#439 5 years ago

Thanks Lucky, I'm not complaining or anything, that's really to know how things are going.
I have 3 pin2DMD to build at the moment, so using my spare time is no concern.
By the way, keep it up with your projects, that's a pleasure to see such things evolving well

#440 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Thanks Lucky, I'm not complaining or anything, that's really to know how things are going.
I have 3 pin2DMD to build at the moment, so using my spare time is no concern.
By the way, keep it up with your projects, that's a pleasure to see such things evolving well

Both lucky1 and Steve have made such huge contributions to the hobby, it's really incredible! Neither of them get the credit they deserve in doing the thankless research and foundation for all these projects that they *then* have to build something to get working. We are really lucky (no pun intended) to have their contributions!

3 weeks later
#441 5 years ago

Hi, I did not get the latest replies on the German board. What's the status??

1 week later
#442 5 years ago

Today I finished a successful test of the lastet release 1.18 on an DCS system (sttng in this case).

So far I hadn't had the time to also fully test DE and WPC so there's maybe issues with these. However here is something to try
https://mega.nz/#!R053lIZK!Z4eH3HfYf1AI7MVkdqmHx-E44rC6RE-7jnnIu-7fTpw

Best Steve

#443 5 years ago

Looking forward to try it out. I was afraid this projekt was abandoned, so really happy to see i was wrong. Will test on my own STTNG tomorrow to see if any of my previous issues on that machine have been resolved.

#444 5 years ago

Great!
Will test on Whitestar too!

#445 5 years ago

Of course not. I even created a Arduino based emulator that should be able to generate commands coming from the cpu. Works for dcs and should also work for data east.

Makes testing a lot easier.

#446 5 years ago

my two cards are not working (for indiana jones WMS et LOTR whitestar)
update.zip is now update-done.zip

log says :
"2018-11-05 20:17:15.785 INFO [main] [despi.c:565] RasPinSound starting, version 1.17, serial: xxxx
2018-11-05 20:17:15.786 INFO [main] [despi.c:570] loading settings from .pisound2
2018-11-05 20:17:15.806 ERROR [main] [despi.c:573] license verify error"

removing key file doesn't solve the issue, no trial mode.
I don't have the .pisound2 file ..

#447 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Today I finished a successful test of the lastet release 1.18 on an DCS system (sttng in this case).

So far I hadn't had the time to also fully test DE and WPC so there's maybe issues with these. However here is something to try
https://mega.nz/#!R053lIZK!Z4eH3HfYf1AI7MVkdqmHx-E44rC6RE-7jnnIu-7fTpw
Best Steve

Steve - which card image should we still use? This looks like a delta update of just the settings. Thank you!

#448 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Steve - which card image should we still use? This looks like a delta update of just the settings. Thank you!

Never mind, I found it 1.17 on your site. thanks!

#449 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Never mind, I found it 1.17 on your site. thanks!

steve45 and others: The 1.17 image was slightly too large for my 16GB card. I truncated it a bit so the zipped version of 1.17 is now 12GB. If anybody wants the link, I will post it here (as long as it's ok with Steve)

#450 5 years ago

I had also some issue with one SD card. Steve, you can indeed shrink it a bit?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 345.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Haus

Trade
Machine - For Trade
East Rutherford, NJ
$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 22.50
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
G-Money Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/9?hl=benetnath and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.