rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 41.
#301 5 years ago

What do you expect that I should answer. Just read what is written on the screen: the file C:\LOTR_OST\config.raspisnd doesn't exist.

Of course the convert need a mapping file to do the descrambling. How else should it revert the scrambled numbers.

#302 5 years ago

There's a new image for RasPiSound available: https://mega.nz/#!Z54VFSxC!5lPuMRXdfZv2m9fUOKlzWKG8_CYoEYopc0AbVoHiT9U (link was updated)

I changed the underlying linux the the latest raspian stretch lite Oct/2018. This image now runs on all raspberry models up to the newest Pi3 B+.

It also contains the lastest RasPiSound build that has alpha support for whitestar testing. Please feel free to test.

As a refresher:

1. download compressed image
2. decompress it using xz or 7zip
3. write image to 16GB sd card using etcher or win32 disk image (or similar image tool)
4. configure the system by creating a system config file in the boot volume /data (see FAQ)
5. configure a sound set for your machine in the boot volume /data/sound
6. try it out in a "dry run" by connecting to pi via ssh or console
- or -
install RasPiSound shield to connect the pi to your machine and test it on the real machine.

FAQ: https://pinball-mods.de/2017/12/19/howto-for-rasberry-pinball-sound/

Br Steve

#303 5 years ago

Thanks, i'll give a try !
Steve, how can we switch from one sound set to the other, if i want to try multiple ones ?
will you generate descramble for all sound set, is it possible to generate it automatically ?

thanks

#304 5 years ago

Hi Steve

I updated my Raspisound from 1.14 to v1.17 via the previous posted update file, and it seems the update went fine. When it boots, it now says it is running 1.17 and starts preloading.

However after preloading there is no sound at all. And this is using the exact same sound mix and config and descrambling files. But no sound at all...

It is in my WPC DCS Star Trek Next Generation

I posted the log here: https://pastebin.com/uL9xMJJ8 in case you need it.

Can anyone else confirm that v1.17 works on WPC DCS machines?

#305 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Hi Steve
I updated my Raspisound from 1.14 to v1.17 via the previous posted update file, and it seems the update went fine. When it boots, it now says it is running 1.17 and starts preloading.
However after preloading there is no sound at all. And this is using the exact same sound mix and config and descrambling files. But no sound at all...
It is in my WPC DCS Star Trek Next Generation
I posted the log here: https://pastebin.com/uL9xMJJ8 in case you need it.
Can anyone else confirm that v1.17 works on WPC DCS machines?

Upps, sounds like I introduced some regression bug. need to check (thats why its an RC version). Maybe you need to go back to 1.15.

#306 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Thanks, i'll give a try !
Steve, how can we switch from one sound set to the other, if i want to try multiple ones ?
will you generate descramble for all sound set, is it possible to generate it automatically ?
thanks

You need a descrambling file for every sound set that is scrambled.

I can generate them (semi) automatically. But the process is kind of weird, not usable for the public.

Switch to next sound set is done:

* on WPC with volume control buttons. Just go down to volume zero. Press once again -> next sound set and so forth.
* on DataEast: Rotary Controller that controls the volume also has a click button. click -> next sound set.

Br Steve

#307 5 years ago

Hey,

OK, i'll downgrade. Latest version i have had access to was 1.14. Do you know if i will be able to just use the existing 1.14 update file i have to downgrade (thus keeping my soundsets and config files on the card), or will i have to download a full 1.14 image file and do a clean install of the SD Card?

#308 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Hey,
OK, i'll downgrade. Latest version i have had access to was 1.14. Do you know if i will be able to just use the existing 1.14 update file i have to downgrade (thus keeping my soundsets and config files on the card), or will i have to download a full 1.14 image file and do a clean install of the SD Card?

Give it a try. Just copy the update.zip into the update folder. As I was actually switching underlying linux system there is a chance that this will not work. In this case you need to reimage your card (or wait for the bugfix).

#309 5 years ago

I did a small testing / setup video based on my data east lw3, just to show how easy it is to da a basic setup or basic test:

#310 5 years ago

I will download the new image and try it this afternoon

#311 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Sorry didn't get it? Do you mean how to generate the mapping in general? If yes I tried to explain it at least once this thread, just read through to older posts.

nope, sorry, i screwed the quote, i was speaking about the relay for the shaker.
I've shown a picture but a detailed explanation would be great for the wiring and stuff.

I've flashed the 1.14 again, you are speaking about a 1.15 update but did not find it.

I want to test on LOTR whitestar, so i'll wait for your instructions

#312 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

I did a small testing / setup video based on my data east lw3, just to show how easy it is to da a basic setup or basic test:

I saw in the video that you have the original pinsound config file in the sound folder along with your Raspisnd config file. Is that Pinsound file required to be in there?

#313 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I saw in the video that you have the original pinsound config file in the sound folder along with your Raspisnd config file. Is that Pinsound file required to be in there?

no that's just a remainder. it ins't necessary.

#314 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

nope, sorry, i screwed the quote, i was speaking about the relay for the shaker.
I've shown a picture but a detailed explanation would be great for the wiring and stuff.
I've flashed the 1.14 again, you are speaking about a 1.15 update but did not find it.
I want to test on LOTR whitestar, so i'll wait for your instructions

So this is how I did the shaker wiring:
shaker-sketch (resized).pngshaker-sketch (resized).png
You need one of these "arduino relay boards" & one pwm dc motor speed controller. And of course some 12V power supply that actually can stand the shaker motor. But if you turn speed down it doesn't draw that much current.

#315 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Nice colorization

#316 5 years ago

Here are the results of my testing with the new 117rc image that was posted today

DE Vendor 0: Sound works but most of the sounds are not correct.
DE Vendor 2: Sound works but most of the sounds are not correct.
Whitestar Vendor 7: Sound works but sounds are not correct. With this one, since I am working with a portable speaker, I can leave the original speakers hooked up and run the Raspisound at the same time. I can directly compare what the original sound board is playing with what is playing at the same time on the Raspisound. Nothing matches. This test was with an Apollo 13.

Your Lethal Weapon 3 appears so work correctly. Could there be a problem on the board or with a chip that could cause this problem? It seems hard to believe that your LW3 config is perfect but SW and A13 are messed up.

Scratching my head here.

#317 5 years ago

And as a reminder, my WPC seems to work correctly but DE/Whitestar does not. So could that point to a chip problem?

#318 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

And as a reminder, my WPC seems to work correctly but DE/Whitestar does not. So could that point to a chip problem?

You sure you also switched the mode jumper? Maybe send me a pic off your shield. If that's not the reason I would also guess one of the chips could be the problem. But one the other hand the buffer for the databus is the same for both. Can not say from remote. I guess you don't have such things like logic analyser or oszi

#319 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

There's a new image for RasPiSound available: https://mega.nz/#!Z54VFSxC!5lPuMRXdfZv2m9fUOKlzWKG8_CYoEYopc0AbVoHiT9U (link was updated)
I changed the underlying linux the the latest raspian stretch lite Oct/2018. This image now runs on all raspberry models up to the newest Pi3 B+.
It also contains the lastest RasPiSound build that has alpha support for whitestar testing. Please feel free to test.
As a refresher:
1. download compressed image
2. decompress it using xz or 7zip
3. write image to 16GB sd card using etcher or win32 disk image (or similar image tool)
4. configure the system by creating a system config file in the boot volume /data (see FAQ)
5. configure a sound set for your machine in the boot volume /data/sound
6. try it out in a "dry run" by connecting to pi via ssh or console
- or -
install RasPiSound shield to connect the pi to your machine and test it on the real machine.
FAQ: https://pinball-mods.de/2017/12/19/howto-for-rasberry-pinball-sound/
Br Steve

new software on my PI3 does not work, green LED will turn on twice, then blink twice quickly, after a while one blinks and does not light up, I've installed the disc image twice and it's still the same.

#320 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

new software on my PI3 does not work, green LED will turn on twice, then blink twice quickly, after a while one blinks and does not light up, I've installed the disc image twice and it's still the same.

I did the exact same thing just this afternoon testing on my lw3. No problems at all. Maybe you can provide some logs or connect a monitor. Or if nothing works for you just then maybe ... look for an alternative.

#321 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

You sure you also switched the mode jumper? Maybe send me a pic off your shield. If that's not the reason I would also guess one of the chips could be the problem. But one the other hand the buffer for the databus is the same for both. Can not say from remote. I guess you don't have such things like logic analyser or oszi

Yes. The jumper is correct. I place the jumper on WPC and change the raspisound config file and it mostly works in funhouse with just a few minor problems that have been discussed before. When testing with DE, I change the jumper and the raspisound and it works as I describe. I have a simple hi/low logic probe but not any fancy equipment.

I have forgot to change the jumper before when I first started going back and forth and when that happens it wont even boot. I am sure it is set correctly to DE for all this testing.

I guess I can use your eagle files and look at all my connections and make sure nothing is off on my board.

Is there anyone here that can test the original Star Wars sound package on a real machine to either verify my testing? If it does the same things then its not the board. If it works properly for you then I know its something on my board.

Thanks

#322 5 years ago

Ok. I burned another SD card with the image and it runs fine. Instead of swapping and changing files all the time to change between SW and Apollo13 for testing I am setting up dedicated SD cards for each. I set the new one up for A13 and it runs fine. Like I said, I got the original speakers running too so I can hear them both at the same time to compare. After spending some time with the glass off and running through a couple of games hitting specific switches, here is what I found out:

For some reason, this time more sounds are right at least I think so. I didn't spend a lot of time on the previous test but I am pretty sure its better this time.
I am guessing that around 40% of the sounds are correct. I might have an entire back of targets that are correct but if I go to another set of targets, all of them are not. Some of the voice calls are right on but then you have wrong ones every once in a while that are not correct. An example of the match sequence. It supposed to go like this if you do not match. (I'm paraphrasing the calls as I don't remember them exactly)
"We are going to the moon"
sound effect
"Negative on the moon"

What the Raspisound does is
"We are going to the moon"
"I need a go no go for launch"
"Negative on the moon"

I guess the next step is to check the board since I think it is performing better than the first time I tested today.

#323 5 years ago

Cool. That sounds lot better. Could also some minor tweaks in the software decoding the sound commands. This is were Whitestar definitely differs from dataeast.
Logfile from such a run would be interesting

#324 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I am guessing that around 40% of the sounds are correct.

I think I found the bug. I will post an update later today, that you then can test with your apollo13 setup. This setup is quite smart, as you can easily compare all sounds one by one. Stay tuned.

#325 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

I think I found the bug. I will post an update later today, that you then can test with your apollo13 setup. This setup is quite smart, as you can easily compare all sounds one by one. Stay tuned.

Good deal. Will test when you finish it up.
Yeah. It really makes it easy to compare the sounds in real time. I actually thought about making a ribbon “Y adapter” so I could do the same thing with Star Wars.

#326 5 years ago

There's an update zip https://mega.nz/#!pgox1SSb!xYOCt46Rw-fVzjy-yj_esRmLF7Po5R41chnflrwC3RA that has improved support for whitestar. Please rename the zip file to update.zip and copy it to the update directory on the sd card.

Br Steve

#327 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

There's an update zip https://mega.nz/#!pgox1SSb!xYOCt46Rw-fVzjy-yj_esRmLF7Po5R41chnflrwC3RA that has improved support for whitestar. Please rename the zip file to update.zip and copy it to the update directory on the sd card.
Br Steve

Ok. now we are talking progress.

With the new update, I would say the game is 90-95% correct. For the first half of the game there was no difference in the stock speakers and the Raspisound speakers. I had one issue in the video mode. The rocket sound got stuck on for a while after video mode. I then had a couple of voice callouts that were not made. I cant remember having any wrong voice callouts, its just that every once in a while the Raspi didn't make it. It may be a coincidence but after the video mode I had the wrong background music playing a couple of times. Overall a huge step forward. I can do some more specific testing and send any files you need.

Just for kicks I took my Star Wars SD card and updated it too and tried it but no luck, it still is the same as before with probably 10-15% being correct.

#328 5 years ago

Sounds like you are now at the same place as me and some others on WPC. It's about 90% correct, but sometimes certain sounds arent played, or sounds are not stopped when they should be.

Fingers crossed we can get it that last step of the way, because then I will definitely have to purchase more for my other machines

Steve, is there anything we can do in regards of helping solve the remaining intermittent issues? Would a video of a game with an attached log file help? Then I could pinpoint certain points with timecodes in the video where something isn't correct. But I don't know if you will be able to locate these points in the (rather big) log file afterwards?

#329 5 years ago

Steve, could you update the link to the Raspisound image.
Previous link, does not work.

#330 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Sounds like you are now at the same place as me and some others on WPC. It's about 90% correct, but sometimes certain sounds arent played, or sounds are not stopped when they should be.
Fingers crossed we can get it that last step of the way, because then I will definitely have to purchase more for my other machines
Steve, is there anything we can do in regards of helping solve the remaining intermittent issues? Would a video of a game with an attached log file help? Then I could pinpoint certain points with timecodes in the video where something isn't correct. But I don't know if you will be able to locate these points in the (rather big) log file afterwards?

My WPC works like this as well. I have tested it in Funhouse. No Luck on DE yet.

#331 5 years ago

Does last update.zip work with 1.14 or shall I burn a 1.17rc then update?

#332 5 years ago

I installed the update from the latest image 1.17.

#333 5 years ago
#334 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Does last update.zip work with 1.14 or shall I burn a 1.17rc then update?

Should work at least with pi3. Just try.

#335 5 years ago

Lonzo & Phantasize in order to get the remaining ~10% done, we / I need to track down, what is wrong here. Given its only 10% I assume the general decoding is working. So I see following causes for errors:

1. the sound effect in the given sound set itself is missing or wrong
2. the mapping is wrong
3. the command decoding is wrong in this (rare) cases

Also interesting: does the failure happen determinist everytime or only sometimes. If sometimes, under what preconditions (if any).

For all three cases it would be nice, if you can track it down like:

sound a expected, but none.
sound a expected, but always sound b

Given such an error description plus a logfile from such a run, I'm quite sure I can nail it down.

Best Steve

#336 5 years ago

So, I had some time today.
I had a 1.5 shield and a pi2 to give a try on my LOTR.
I've used the last 1.17 img and the LOTR OST sound pack.
I've plugged the pinsound whitestar adapter plugged onto the CPU.

And bingo! It worked really well. At least during the trial period.
Sadly, I had nothing more once I've pasted my pi2 licence(purchased by mistake)

I have no pi3 to give a try. I can confirm that it was working mostly well, as I had sound from the pinball and the pi2

#337 5 years ago

I still do not work, green led in PI3 blinks a few times and the end, the program does not load at all, I tried on several different sd cards, I installed the win32imager again, and I still do the same.
I do not know what to do anymore. I have no idea where the error is.

#338 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

I still do not work, green led in PI3 blinks a few times and the end, the program does not load at all, I tried on several different sd cards, I installed the win32imager again, and I still do the same.
I do not know what to do anymore. I have no idea where the error is.

Just as an idea: try read the SD card back to an image file and verify that the two are the same. Or try another pi.

#339 5 years ago

I tried on two PI3s, Pi Zero and four different sd cards, I have no idea what's going on.
I will try to record this image on another computer.

#340 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

You need one of these "arduino relay boards" & one pwm dc motor speed controller. And of course some 12V power supply that actually can stand the shaker motor. But if you turn speed down it doesn't draw that much current.

Thanks ! I'll do a feedback once i get it working

#341 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

I tried on two PI3s, Pi Zero and four different sd cards, I have no idea what's going on.
I will try to record this image on another computer.

I'm afraid I cannot help you with that. Maybe try connect a screen to watch it booting or connect it to the network try connecting via ssh. The latest test I did worked instantaneously as you saw in the LW3 demo video.

#342 5 years ago

It's definitely something with my equipment, I'll try to make a disc image on a laptop today.

#343 5 years ago

Which software are you using to burn?
2 Kingston SD failed for flashing due to missing sectors while SanDisk SD worked well

#344 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Which software are you using to burn?
2 Kingston SD failed for flashing due to missing sectors while SanDisk SD worked well

I use Etcher. Dead simple

#345 5 years ago

win32imager

#346 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

win32imager

I’m not in front of my computer but I’m pretty sure that’s what I use.

#347 5 years ago

i'm using win32 too,was just looking for a reason why it would be so difficult for fly ...strange

#348 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

win32imager

Did you decompress the archive before writing the image to the SD card?

#349 5 years ago

Steve,
It appears from the video that you posted that your are not using the newest board. I know several of us that are having issues are using the latest board. Could you please test using the newest board so we can have a direct comparison? Maybe something is going on with the new board. Just a thought.

#350 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Steve,
It appears from the video that you posted that your are not using the newest board. I know several of us that are having issues are using the latest board. Could you please test using the newest board so we can have a direct comparison? Maybe something is going on with the new board. Just a thought.

Agreed. I’m on the new board and still haven’t had much success with it on my Jurassic Park. It’s to the point where it boots and announces the serial number, but I haven’t been able to get it to actually trigger any playback of sounds. Whereas, I can plug the cable back into the factory sound board and everything works 100%

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

£ 32.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 39.99
Rubber/Silicone
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 21.95
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/7 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.