rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 41.
#101 5 years ago

Hi Steve thanks for your help.

Do you need a pinsound board to make required recording file? (psrec)

Rich

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

I am having somewhat similar issues with my board. The board is working, but when using a soundmix with the corresponding descambling file for my CFTBL and TZ machines, some of the sounds are not mapped correctly. As an example, in the TZ machine the jackpot sound is wrong (with the Reorchestrated mix). And in the CFTBL machine i have the luxury of being able to test the same mix on both a Pinsound board and a Raspisound board. And with the pinsound board the sounds are as expected, but when switching to Raspisound board some of the sounds are wrong / mixed up. So to me this indicates that the descrambling files downloaded are not 100% accurate? But it is of course only a guess.
In my IJ machine i haven't been able to make the Raspisound board produce any sound at all, despite the log files saying everything should be ok.
So i am kind of stuck at the moment, but hoping that if other people experience the same problems someone will come up with a fix

It could be that there is an offset for the second part of the sound effects (the ones with higher numbers). Can you please check an compare, if you have the chance to do so. It would be most helpful, if you can provide error description like: "on TZ with mix xxx sound a is playing instead of b".

Meanwhile I try to double check the sound mixes / mapping files, but without having the machine running, this is not so easy. by the way another good source of doing mapping tests is using the machines sound diagnostics. Typically is actually states by name what effect is playing and this could be compared to what you hear. Most of the time this is also good advice to mapping problems.

Thx Steve

#103 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

It could be that there is an offset for the second part of the sound effects (the ones with higher numbers). Can you please check an compare, if you have the chance to do so. It would be most helpful, if you can provide error description like: "on TZ with mix xxx sound a is playing instead of b".
Meanwhile I try to double check the sound mixes / mapping files, but without having the machine running, this is not so easy. by the way another good source of doing mapping tests is using the machines sound diagnostics. Typically is actually states by name what effect is playing and this could be compared to what you hear. Most of the time this is also good advice to mapping problems.
Thx Steve

Hi Steve

I'll see what i can do. I completely follow your logic, but the problem is that a lot of the time i just know which sound should have been played, and not what sound is actually playing instead.

Also the sound test is a great idea, and i know that at least in the CFTBL one or meore of the sounds in the sound test is wrong. However as far as i remember this wasn't the case with my TZ.

But i'll see what i can come up with to document it that could be useful to you. I won't be home much these next days, so it'll probably not be until early next week.

3 weeks later
#104 5 years ago

In the meantime the new firmware version 1.14 is out. Changes since the last official version 1.9 can be found here: https://go-dmd.de/changelog/#raspinsound

- support for older data east
- announcement of mode
- improved WPC mode, handling of 0x6x cmds
- bugfix in volume handling (ducking vs. jingle)
- fixed handling of rotary encoder for data east
- added output enable for latest pcb rev.
- shaker support config: active high or low

Shaker support is also tested with my HS2 machine, although I cannot provide a demo video for now, because the DIY shaker pulls so much power from the PSA, that the pi resets itself.

But this is really because the DIY shaker motor has so much power, that you couldn't really drive it with 12V.

To get the update use for Pi Zero: https://mega.nz/#!Y1xTFawK!BzLso-bGi80w20yzrtRdktnMlAyz0CZmMHuGt3ZRgSI
and for Pi3: https://mega.nz/#!h54DnSwI!PPiU-A65SQA8mKaX7d4rwM5IhQ1p46SeWDd8lqRwyR8

To install the update rename the zip file into update.zip and copy it to the update folder on the sd card. Then restart the system.

The full images you can download in the shop are also updated to lastest 1.14 version,

Next thing to test / to develop is a serial link to another pi that is capable of playing video, based on sound commands coming from RasPiSound.

Playing part is ready to use: its just a simple python script https://github.com/sker65/serial-media-srv

The idea is to have a display in the apron or somewhere on the playfield or a replacement for creature holo.

/Steve

1 week later
#105 5 years ago

Hi Steve

I did some testing on my borrowed CFTBL machine and sent you an email with my "findings". Hope it is useful...

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

In the meantime the new firmware version 1.14 is out. Changes since the last official version 1.9 can be found here: https://go-dmd.de/changelog/#raspinsound
- support for older data east
- announcement of mode
- improved WPC mode, handling of 0x6x cmds
- bugfix in volume handling (ducking vs. jingle)
- fixed handling of rotary encoder for data east
- added output enable for latest pcb rev.
- shaker support config: active high or low
Shaker support is also tested with my HS2 machine, although I cannot provide a demo video for now, because the DIY shaker pulls so much power from the PSA, that the pi resets itself.
But this is really because the DIY shaker motor has so much power, that you couldn't really drive it with 12V.
To get the update use for Pi Zero: https://mega.nz/#!Y1xTFawK!BzLso-bGi80w20yzrtRdktnMlAyz0CZmMHuGt3ZRgSI
and for Pi3: https://mega.nz/#!h54DnSwI!PPiU-A65SQA8mKaX7d4rwM5IhQ1p46SeWDd8lqRwyR8
To install the update rename the zip file into update.zip and copy it to the update folder on the sd card. Then restart the system.
The full images you can download in the shop are also updated to lastest 1.14 version,
Next thing to test / to develop is a serial link to another pi that is capable of playing video, based on sound commands coming from RasPiSound.
Playing part is ready to use: its just a simple python script https://github.com/sker65/serial-media-srv
The idea is to have a display in the apron or somewhere on the playfield or a replacement for creature holo.
/Steve

I just re-read this, and this stuck out:

“Next thing to test / to develop is a serial link to another pi that is capable of playing video, based on sound commands coming from RasPiSound.”

WHAAAAAT !! that will be awesome

#107 5 years ago

There is already a prototype for the player part. It's a simple python script that uses the omxplayer for playback of video and jpgs.

Script can be found here https://github.com/sker65/serial-media-srv

It is controlled by serial commands and plays just files by number.

Next thing to add is a serial.txt control file along with a sound effect, that defines the serial cmds to be emitted by RasPiSound.

I hope I can include that in the next release and provide a demo on how to use it.

/Steve

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Hi Steve
I did some testing on my borrowed CFTBL machine and sent you an email with my "findings". Hope it is useful...

I'll look into it when I'm back from vacation next week. So far the info you provided looks promising, but I need to dig into it with my computer. Actually I'm only online with my android

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

There is already a prototype for the player part. It's a simple python script that uses the omxplayer for playback of video and jpgs.
Script can be found here https://github.com/sker65/serial-media-srv
It is controlled by serial commands and plays just files by number.
Next thing to add is a serial.txt control file along with a sound effect, that defines the serial cmds to be emitted by RasPiSound.
I hope I can include that in the next release and provide a demo on how to use it.
/Steve

I am so going to use this! I just built a huge wall of LEDs that my band uses in performing live - we trigger using an iPhone app called TouchOSC which plays videos on a pi using omxplayer attached to each of the 4 quadrants in the Wall. It’s a pain to sync but it looks incredible. It’s 10 ft x 6ft (about 3m x 2k I think). We need a way to sync sound fx to it as well ... working on that next

#110 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I am so going to use this! I just built a huge wall of LEDs that my band uses in performing live - we trigger using an iPhone app called TouchOSC which plays videos on a pi using omxplayer attached to each of the 4 quadrants in the Wall. It’s a pain to sync but it looks incredible. It’s 10 ft x 6ft (about 3m x 2k I think). We need a way to sync sound fx to it as well ... working on that next

Enjoy! Always nice to see somebody can do something useful with my free time stuff. Even if it's not really about pinball in this case
/Steve

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Enjoy! Always nice to see somebody can do something useful with my free time stuff. Even if it's not really about pinball in this case
/Steve

Well I won’t steal your code necessarily, more like a parallel effort

#112 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

/Steve

... and/or pin2dmd

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

... and/or pin2dmd

I’d love to
Integrate pin2dmd, but I can never figure out how to get that interface board

#114 5 years ago

Very cool project! I just purchased a 2.x kit for my Jurassic Park. I see that an external 12v power supply is typically being installed along with this kit. Could the 12v that was originally feeding the DE sound board work for this instead?

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Well I won’t steal your code necessarily, more like a parallel effort

That's a misunderstanding: I *really* like it, if you find it useful and can use this as a basis for whatever you wanna build.

#116 5 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Very cool project! I just purchased a 2.x kit for my Jurassic Park. I see that an external 12v power supply is typically being installed along with this kit. Could the 12v that was originally feeding the DE sound board work for this instead?

You could give it a try and it should work as long as not powering up the amplifiers to the limit.

My general experience is though, PSA are so cheap that I tend to include new separate power supply for everything I add to my machines. It gives you clean and powerful input no humming, no power drops.

But of course at the cost of dealing with connection to mains (110/220 volts) which is not everyone's taste.

#117 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I’d love to
Integrate pin2dmd, but I can never figure out how to get that interface board

Contact dpannell . He has some spare AFAIK.

#118 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Contact dpannell . He has some spare AFAIK.

Thanks lucky1!

#119 5 years ago

I have a few sets of "raspisound" and I can not cope with DCS machines, for example in RoadShow the sounds overlap, are played back at the wrong moment, do not interrupt after completing the mission, etc. :/

#120 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

I have a few sets of "raspisound" and I can not cope with DCS machines, for example in RoadShow the sounds overlap, are played back at the wrong moment, do not interrupt after completing the mission, etc. :/

I am testing this board on a Scared Stiff soon, will post some feedback! This is just such a cool project

#121 5 years ago

Just ordered 2.x board to try on my DE machines. Thanks for the awesome project Steve.

#122 5 years ago

Since the pwm motor controller has arrived this week, I was able to create a real demo with shaker on my HS2:

Inside of the cabinet you can see the shaker (thanks to smarti from the german flippermarkt forum), a mini relay board and pwm controller for shaker speed.
20180827_225106y (resized).jpg20180827_225106y (resized).jpg
The shaker is controlled through a simple text file "shaker.txt" in the sound effect directory. You can put a sequence of on and off times in milli seconds in that file. Simplest definition is e.g. just "200" which means switch shaker on for 200 ms.

For the demo I put such a file to all "Shift Gear" sounds, looks promising

/Steve

#123 5 years ago

I’m a little confused. I want to order this for a DE game but the website is kinda confusing. Is there a more detailed up to date list of things you need for the latest version.

1. The site said “Possibly a USB sound card”. What does that mean? Do I need one or not?
2. Am I supposed to buy the license if I buy the kit or is that included or needed for this?

I just don’t want to miss something and have to order again. I will be using a pi 3 B+

Also, it says that it now supports older DE games. Does this mean BTTF is supported?

#124 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

I’m a little confused. I want to order this for a DE game but the website is kinda confusing. Is there a more detailed up to date list of things you need for the latest version.
1. The site said “Possibly a USB sound card”. What does that mean? Do I need one or not?
2. Am I supposed to buy the license if I buy the kit or is that included or needed for this?
I just don’t want to miss something and have to order again. I will be using a pi 3 B+
Also, it says that it now supports older DE games. Does this mean BTTF is supported?

Regarding 1: depends on the pi you're gonna use pi0 USB sound card is a must, Pi3 has buildin sound.
Regarding 2: license goes on top, but without shipping, it's just a license file. You need to order it separately because it depends on pi's serial.
Regarding BTTF: should work as it works very well in my JP, which is basically the same hardware.

Hope this answers your questions.
/Steve

#125 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Regarding 1: depends on the pi you're gonna use pi0 USB sound card is a must, Pi3 has buildin sound.
Regarding 2: license goes on top, but without shipping, it's just a license file. You need to order it separately because it depends on pi's serial.
Regarding BTTF: should work as it works very well in my JP, which is basically the same hardware.
/Steve

Thanks for the reminder Steve - I need to order a USB DAC

#126 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Thanks for the reminder Steve - I need to order a USB DAC

To add to this: as most USB dacs are connector type A you also need an adapter from USB micro male to USB type A female

#127 5 years ago

I’m a little confused myself. I have a Last Action Hero and already have a Pi3. So do I just order the 2.X kit selecting the Data East and Pi3 options and add a license? Then download the image and get sound files? What else do I need to have? A power supply? Optional better speakers? Are there detailed instructions on building the kit? Just want to make sure I don’t miss anything and have to reorder more parts.

#128 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

/Steve

So I can go ahead and order the board and just come back when my Pi comes in?

Is there a tutorial anywhere for pulling the sounds out of a game that has not been done yet? I have a Pinsound in my JP and it’s easy to change the sounds but I don’t know where to start from scratch.

Thanks for the response.

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

To add to this: as most USB dacs are connector type A you also need an adapter from USB micro male to USB type A female

TY!

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

So I can go ahead and order the board and just come back when my Pi comes in?
Is there a tutorial anywhere for pulling the sounds out of a game that has not been done yet? I have a Pinsound in my JP and it’s easy to change the sounds but I don’t know where to start from scratch.
Thanks for the response.

I believe Steve has suggested in the past to download game sounds from the pinsound community

#131 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I believe Steve has suggested in the past to download game sounds from the pinsound community

I am referring to games that have not been done yet.

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from SunMonkeyAZ:

I’m a little confused myself. I have a Last Action Hero and already have a Pi3. So do I just order the 2.X kit selecting the Data East and Pi3 options and add a license? Then download the image and get sound files? What else do I need to have? A power supply? Optional better speakers? Are there detailed instructions on building the kit? Just want to make sure I don’t miss anything and have to reorder more parts.

Yes, kit plus license is needed. But licenses file should be ordered, when kit works and announces serial number. For Pi3 you need at least short audio cable like thisE01-HQ (resized).jpgE01-HQ (resized).jpg

USB sound is optional for Pi3 but recommended (better sound quality, less humming). Power supply is optional, you can use existing 12V. I still recommend separate PSA like this .LRS-35-12 (resized).jpgLRS-35-12 (resized).jpg

For PiZero you definitely need USB sound and adapter like this .usb adapter (resized).jpgusb adapter (resized).jpgusb sound (resized).jpgusb sound (resized).jpg

Of course you need some wires to connect power and speakers. Especially on wpc the is no stereo wiring.

Assembling is described here https://pinball-mods.de/2017/12/19/howto-for-rasberry-pinball-sound/#Assembly If needed I add more pictures.

For LAH there is a community sound set on pinsound forum http://pinsound-community.org/forum/index.php?/files/file/160-lah_ost_150-julien42/

Additional note for data east: you can optionally add a rotary encoder behind the cabinet door as replacement for the normal volume pot. It controlls volume and click switch selects sound sets (only if you have more than one). For wpc this is all done with the existing buttons.

To create a new sound set you can use extraction tools like M1 or pinmame, but until now there is no detailed tutorial about this so far.

HTH.

/Steve

#133 5 years ago

Completely assembled Pi3 version (Pi3 sits underneath) 20180526_113921x (resized).jpg20180526_113921x (resized).jpg 20180526_113935x (resized).jpg20180526_113935x (resized).jpg (previous release of PCB).

Take care to put some insolation strip between shield and Pi3 ethernet / usb connector.

Assembled PiZero version (Pi Zero sits on top): 20180701_161228x.jpg20180701_161228x.jpg

#134 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

To create a new sound set you can use extraction tools like M1 or pinmame, but until now there is no detailed tutorial about this so far.
HTH.
/Steve

Can you expand or link to the M1 software you talk about? I searched and the only M1 software I could find was for manufacturing.

Thanks

#135 5 years ago

I was just reading back through the last few posts and saw that a license was needed. What’s that about?

#136 5 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

I was just reading back through the last few posts and saw that a license was needed. What’s that about?

The license is kind of a protection fee for the software itself. It ties the running instance to the raspberry, so it cannot simply copied.

It does what software licenses normally do. Technically it's a file that you need to copy to the sd card, without it the firmware keeps reminding you after 10 minutes that you need to register a license.

In the beginning it was free, now it's 4.90€ so nothing fancy.

/Steve

#137 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

Can you expand or link to the M1 software you talk about? I searched and the only M1 software I could find was for manufacturing.
Thanks

See here: http://rbelmont.mameworld.info/?page_id=223

There is also at least one thread on pinside about recording sounds for pinsound just use the search. https://www.google.de/search?q=pinside+rip+music

#138 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

There is also at least one thread on pinside about recording sounds for pinsound just use the search. https://www.google.de/search?q=pinside+rip+music

Awesome, thanks.

I got it loaded and can record sounds. I have several roms that don't show up on the list. Any idea if there is a way to get those to work or are they just not supported?

#139 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Just clarifying - I believe you can use PinSound Studio to rip sounds from a ROM even if you do not have the game.

#140 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just clarifying - I believe you can use PinSound Studio to rip sounds from a ROM even if you do not have the game.

Ok. I will see what I can figure out with Pinstudio. So far I have o my messed with packages that were already created.

Thanks.

#141 5 years ago

Today a build a first working demo that shows RasPiSound controlling a secondary pi that shows movies or still images based on the sound effect that is being played.

Its really simple to handle, just put a serial.txt file in the sound effect directory with a sequence of bytes in it and everytime the effect gets played, the serial port emits these bytes as command to the secondary pi.

The service running on the secondary pi listens to these commands and plays / shows movies or images. Command bytes are translated to numbers that then map to files names that will be played.

So its easy to setup. Could be used as a mod by integrating the small screen in the apron or to replace the creature holo.

/Steve

#142 5 years ago

I was thinking about selling my DESW, now I may have to add this! Very cool, watching closely

#143 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Today a build a first working demo that shows RasPiSound controlling a secondary pi that shows movies or still images based on the sound effect that is being played.

Its really simple to handle, just put a serial.txt file in the sound effect directory with a sequence of bytes in it and everytime the effect gets played, the serial port emits these bytes as command to the secondary pi.
The service running on the secondary pi listens to these commands and plays / shows movies or images. Command bytes are translated to numbers that then map to files names that will be played.
So its easy to setup. Could be used as a mod by integrating the small screen in the apron or to replace the creature holo.
/Steve

Fantastic! I am totally doing this this upcoming weekend!

Steve how do the Pis talk to one another? Do you have an additional cable running from the GPIO?

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Fantastic! I am totally doing this this upcoming weekend!
Steve how do the Pis talk to one another? Do you have an additional cable running from the GPIO?

Communication is done via UART devices. Easiest is using the buildin UART that is exposed on gpio headers and also exposed on the RasPiSound shield.

As long as it is unidirectional you basically need two wires: Gnd <-> Gnd and TX <-> RX.

Default comm params are 57600 8N1, but you can configure it.

I will also prepare a demo with two PIs that shows the wiring from the shield to the secondary pi.

/Steve

#145 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Communication is done via UART devices. Easiest is using the buildin UART that is exposed on gpio headers and also exposed on the RasPiSound shield.
As long as it is unidirectional you basically need two wires: Gnd &lt;-&gt; Gnd and TX &lt;-&gt; RX.
Default comm params are 57600 8N1, but you can configure it.
I will also prepare a demo with two PIs that shows the wiring from the shield to the secondary pi.
/Steve

Got it, pins 8 and 10 GPIO (and 6 I guess for GND), very good idea!

#146 5 years ago

I don’t believe this rotary button has a push button - would it still work for sound control on Data East? Also, what is the max voltage input on the DC-DC converter? Is there a datasheet for it?

ebay.com link: 2pcs KY 040 PCB Brass Rotary Encoder Module Photoelectric Scanning Principle

#147 5 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

Also, what is the max voltage input on the DC-DC converter? Is there a datasheet for it?

The DC-DC converter can use DC 4.5-24V as input voltage but the amps are also hooked directly to this input voltage and they have a voltage range from DC 7-15V. That is why it is recommended to use DC12V.

#148 5 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

I don’t believe this rotary button has a push button - would it still work for sound control on Data East? Also, what is the max voltage input on the DC-DC converter? Is there a datasheet for it?
ebay.com link » 2pcs Ky 040 Pcb Brass Rotary Encoder Module Photoelectric Scanning Principle

I use typically one of these ebay.com link: 0
Besides controlling the volume remotely from the cabinet, the button is only used to switch between sound sets. Makes of course only sense if you are using more than one.
Other than that you can control volume with the amplifiers directly.

#149 5 years ago

Thanks for the info gentlemen, I appreciate it

1 week later
#150 5 years ago

Quick question - how do we know when/if our orders ship? I didn’t see anything on the web site to check status.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 250.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 18.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 21.95
$ 19.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/3?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.