rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG

There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 41.
#1751 2 years ago

Looking for some help, this is driving me crazy.

I am trying to put a Tilt Audio board in my STTNG. The original sound board works just fine.

I setup the Tilt Audio board, with sounds files in the data\sound folder and a raspisound.ini with vendor=5 for WPC DCS.

I also have the license key file in the \data folder

I wired up the speakers correctly.

The Tilt Audio board will boot up and play the intro voice announce the version number and loads the sounds files.

BUT, I get no game sounds when I start the game.

I am also able to use the Web UI and play the sounds and that works fine, but the game will not play any sounds.

I took the exact same Tilt audio board and put it in a friends STTNG without changing anything and it played just fine, boots up and gets all game sounds.

I also put my original sound board back in and it works just fine.

I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+.

Any thoughts on what to look for, it doesn't seems to be the Tilt Audio board since it works in my friends STTNG.

Thanks

#1752 2 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Looking for some help, this is driving me crazy.
I am trying to put a Tilt Audio board in my STTNG. The original sound board works just fine.
I setup the Tilt Audio board, with sounds files in the data\sound folder and a raspisound.ini with vendor=5 for WPC DCS.
I also have the license key file in the \data folder
I wired up the speakers correctly.
The Tilt Audio board will boot up and play the intro voice announce the version number and loads the sounds files.
BUT, I get no game sounds when I start the game.
I took the exact same Tilt audio board and put it in a friends STTNG with changing anything and it played just fine, boots up and gets all game sounds.
I also put my original sound board back in and it works just fine.
I have a Raspberry Pi 3B+.
Any thoughts on what to look for, it doesn't seems to be the Tilt Audio board since it works in my friends STTNG.
Thanks

Can you hear sound/music when triggering them manually with the webui?

Can you check the log to see if Tiltaudio detects sound commands?

And lastly... Which board révision is this?

Regards

#1753 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Can you hear sound/music when triggering them manually with the webui?
Can you check the log to see if Tiltaudio detects sound commands?
And lastly... Which board révision is this?
Regards

I can hear the sounds when I trigger them manually with the Web UI.

I will check the logs, anything in particular to look for?

Ver 3.7 board with 1.37 firmware.

Thanks

#1754 2 years ago

Wait, so it worked just fine in a different machine but not yours? Thats crazy. I would boot it up and grab the log, that's where the magic of what's going on (or not) will be.

Just some random thoughts. Are you both on the same ROM version on the machine? Any chance you could borrow his cable to test with? Maybe CPU as well?

#1755 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Wait, so it worked just fine in a different machine but not yours? Thats crazy. I would boot it up and grab the log, that's where the magic of what's going on (or not) will be.
Just some random thoughts. Are you both on the same ROM version on the machine? Any chance you could borrow his cable to test with? Maybe CPU as well?

That is what is driving me crazy that it worked in my friends STTNG. I am getting him to burn the same ROM image he is using and I ordered a new set of cables.

I used the same Game ROM image that mine friend used and another cable from a working Adams Family and still nothing UGGGGH.

#1756 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

I brought up the Web UI and turned on live logging with trace setting. When I play sounds through the Web UI I can see all the live log information happening.

But, when I start a game, nothing show up in the live log. Shouldn't I see log activity when I start a game and sounds should be playing?

Thanks

#1757 2 years ago

You will need to download the log and see what's happening in the beginning of startup. See if there are any errors or something. As in, before you even start a game.

#1758 2 years ago

Figured out the culprit.

When I unplug the ribbon cable from the Fliptronics board and have it go straight to the Tilt Audio board the sounds works just fine. When I plugged the ribbon cable back in to the Fliptronics board the sounds stops working.

Looks like there is an issue with my Fliptronics board. Going to get a replacement and try it.

Any idea why the Fliptronics board would stop the signal from going to the Tilt Audio board, but still work with an original sound board?

#1759 2 years ago

I see board revision 3.6 is released. Could you tell us what the changes are, steve45 ?

#1760 2 years ago

Gut feeling, impédance matching.

Quoted from jjoravec:

Figured out the culprit.
When I unplug the ribbon cable from the Fliptronics board and have it go straight to the Tilt Audio board the sounds works just fine. When I plugged the ribbon cable back in to the Fliptronics board the sounds stops working.
Looks like there is an issue with my Fliptronics board. Going to get a replacement and try it.
Any idea why the Fliptronics board would stop the signal from going to the Tilt Audio board, but still work with an original sound board?

Gut feeling ? Signal integrity and impedance matching.

That could be caused by a number of factors: ribbon cable, connectors, etc. I would reflow the solder on all connectors, and try a new cable. Pay especially attention to the ground signal (I don't recall though if the original ribbon cable has a ground wire between each signal wire to prevent crosstalk).

#1761 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

I see board revision 3.6 is released. Could you tell us what the changes are, steve45 ?

3.7 is one I created. It added an additional WPC95 port (so you dont have to use the cable adapter) and OLED rotation for DE games. I also added some markings on the silk screen layer so its easier to know what to solder/orient to. I sent the changes back up to Steve, so they will be available in a future release.

https://slapsavecreations.com/tiltaudio/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=tiltaudio:v3.5_3.7:tilt_audio_3.7.jpg

#1762 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

3.7 is one I created. It added an additional WPC95 port (so you dont have to use the cable adapter) and OLED rotation for DE games. I also added some markings on the silk screen layer so its easier to know what to solder/orient to. I sent the changes back up to Steve, so they will be available in a future release.
https://slapsavecreations.com/tiltaudio/lib/exe/fetch.php?media=tiltaudio:v3.5_3.7:tilt_audio_3.7.jpg

Oh ok ... it says 3.6 here : https://www.facebook.com/Steve.TILTAudio - but maybe it's the same board ?

#1763 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Just the adjustments Charlie did already some time ago ... Was not released to public so far ...

#1764 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Gut feeling, impédance matching.

Gut feeling ? Signal integrity and impedance matching.
That could be caused by a number of factors: ribbon cable, connectors, etc. I would reflow the solder on all connectors, and try a new cable. Pay especially attention to the ground signal (I don't recall though if the original ribbon cable has a ground wire between each signal wire to prevent crosstalk).

Ok So I bought a new Fliptronics board and a new set of ribbon cables, same dang issue. Tilt Audio will work fine as long as it is not plugged in to the Fliptronics board.

Any thoughts?

#1765 2 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Ok So I bought a new Fliptronics board and a new set of ribbon cables, same dang issue. Tilt Audio will work fine as long as it is not plugged in to the Fliptronics board.
Any thoughts?

Finally got it working ended up being an issue with my Rottentdog WPC board, swapped it out and everything worked.

#1766 2 years ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Finally got it working ended up being an issue with my Rottentdog WPC board, swapped it out and everything worked.

That is an interesting detail. Can you provide some more insight? Either share it here or reach out to me directly ..

Br Steve

#1767 2 years ago

New to this project so time to share a few details for anyone that cares. This might get long.
steve45 Kudos to you for a couple of things ... sticking with this project for so long and your willingness to continue supporting questions, the web site, updates to everything. It's a lot for one man ... or if there are others .. still a lot.
BrewNinja Thanks for selling me the board kit over Thanksgiving. I got it all, soldered it all up the night it arrived. Appreciate the complete kit and the photos on how a completed board is supposed to look.

Thoughts on this project from someone new stepping in. Know this - I teach EET and Mechatronics Engineering Tech at a community college. I've been fixing pinball machines for over 20 years. I'm no stranger to any of this hardware either as I teach arduino and RPi in 2 of my classes. With this in mind ..
1. It is ambitious to say the least. I mention this to students who come up with a final project they intend on building in 4 weeks that resembles something like this. I tell them there is no way it will work - that it takes years to put something like this together. Clearly it has. Congrats to all that have participated.
2. I would NOT recommend this to anyone that hasn't had a few dozen hours soldering. Sure, there are some naturals. But you need the tools, the right size solder, understanding of proper temperatures, polarity, etc. Of my 2nd year students, I would entrust this project to maybe 50% of them. The others just don't have the technique even though they've logged 15 hours minimum behind the iron.
3. I'm so impressed at the development with the RPi and the web interface. Kudos again. That interface is so intuitive and easy to set up things. I managed to get my AP setup from my phone and the RPi on my desk. Made it easy once I put the RPi on the board and mounted it in the game. I was able to tweak a lot of things from my laptop later with the WebUI. Beats SSH for sure.
4. The documentation is painful. And I understand why. So many iterations, and writing the docs for a person just coming into this project would take a lot of time. I had forgotten about the wiki that BrewNinja made which I followed during the construction process. It really is a good start as a repository for information. He could probably use another passionate TILTAudio writer to help expand some of those topics. I know how difficult it can be to do tech writing on a project that is growing and changing. In the corporate world, it takes a lot of time and usually a dedicated person to collate and organize all the data. So I'm not complaining. I'm applauding the efforts of everyone.

Anyway - very impressive and a big 'round of applause to everyone on this thread that has been willing to help out others. I'll post another one next with some of my specific questions if y'all don't mind.

#1768 2 years ago

Feedback and Questions:

Game - Twilight Zone running 9.4H ROMS
Sound resource - altsound_tz_reorch.zip from http://altsound.vpin24.com/
Rpi Ver - 3B+ w/ 16GB uSD card
TILTAudio! Board - 3.7 from SlapSave Creations - fantastic PCB!
OS - 1.38 including an accidental update.zip of 1.38. Assume nothing bad happened with that.

This is my first install and testing of the board, RPi image, and sounds. Here are a couple of takeaways.
1. I was lucky enough to have a solid boot and good tests initially.
2. Did not wire speakers until test proved impressive enough - so holding off on that for a while.
3. Running headphones via BT failed on multiple attempts. May try a different set. Enabled in Web UI, paired successfully, but no output.
4. Plugging headphones in audio jack on RPi works great. Volume control via WebUI worked great.
5. Love the info from the little display. Valuable feedback at a glance.

The problem so many of you have written about resides here as well. This amazing Twilight Zone soundtrack is packed with everything I should need. I've listened to every sample. But during gameplay, I don't get any of the speech bits. Songs that shouldn't be playing are playing at the wrong times. I'm assuming from what I've read that we just have some calls with the wrong ID numbers or something. I have no idea where to begin - and may not care to continue at all. Can I just BUY a copy of someone's TZ config that works right? I will if it is available and proves to work for me.

What is the solution?
Maybe a tutorial on how to align these properly in the config files?
A repository of known good or properly configured and tested sound libraries for TILTAudio! somewhere?
Or a website that sells these so I can just buy them, install, and enjoy! (I like this option best!).
Am I ignorant of something and just don't know the simple solution? Feel free to roast me but point me in the right direction I've spent hours reading but nothing jumped out.

Any suggestions?

#1769 2 years ago

First, thanks! Feedback is always good. If there was anything you thought should be in the wiki that I run, please tell me! I would love to add more if it's useful. Once you put a board together, you kind of forget what made you stumble or what didn't make sense.

Can't help with the BT. I haven't played with that feature. Hopefully steve45 or someone else can help with that.

RE: sound libraries. Ive been begging for people to send me theirs after they get it setup and working. Even if its 90% good, its better than everyone starting from scratch. Unfortunately, Ive had zero sent to me Honestly, Im not sure how to beg even more for them.

As for the config. You can either read up on the altsound format and edit it directly, use the altsound editor that luck made, or you can use the web interface to do it as well. Some of the altsound/sound packages are better than others too. Anyways, when I had time and was working on mine, I would trigger something specific in the game with the glass off, then figure out how it was wrong. Like, if I triggered x and sound y played instead of x, make note and fix it. Same with volumes or cutting off of sounds (ducking). Depending on the soundset chosen, it can be more or less work.

Hopefully that answers some things.

#1770 2 years ago

Absolutely helpful BrewNinja - thanks. I promise that I will send you anything that I modify or find is in decent working order. Having this board easily drop in so many machines in my collection will make my experiments a lot easier. I'll look into this after the semester winds down. Glass off, manually tweaking sounds like the way to go. Headphones so I'm not evasive to my hardware is the direction I'll take until I'm ready to do a permanent install.

We need a grassfire to erupt behind this effort. The hardware is great, the OS and interface is too. It is just lacking sound libraries specifically for this system. I'm sure others would pay for these like I would. A video tutorial would be helpful on sound tweaking. Making it easier for people to contribute will benefit this product.

I took a lot of notes after I built the board. I will share those with you privately - maybe integrate something based upon your wiki and see if you want to post it. I teach this stuff -in fact I'm finishing up now with a ton of reading from student lab books, journals, and final project reports. I'll likely either be motivated or burned to a crisp in a week. We shall see.
Thanks again!

#1771 2 years ago

This is a really cool project and the only reason I haven't yet bought one is because there's no download-and-go OEM sound set for my game. If I ever took it on myself I would be more than happy to share my work with the community... there are just more pressing things on my pin to-do list.

Big thanks to all the contributors, I'll enjoy the fruits of your labor sooner or later.

1 week later
#1772 2 years ago

I'm still running version 1.27 on a v2.5e board on my Getaway.

It works about 95% correctly, sometimes the audio stops playing but will restart once the ball drains but that's really the only issue.

Is it worth upgrading to one of the newer boards or upgrading the firmware? Or am I just looking for a problem?

#1773 2 years ago

Upgrading either most likely won't fix issues. The issues you are seeing are probably a function of your soundset and it needs some tweaking.

1 week later
#1774 2 years ago

BrewNinja / steve45

I already (before knowing about Tilt) purchased a Pinsound+ for my STTNG. I have a T2 I am restoring so eventually I will repurpose the Pinsound. However, in talking with Steve, I see there is an add-on solution that can control addressable LEDS using iC2 bus and FastLed library with an additional arduino mini. Impressed!!!

My question is can I have a custom made cable with an extra ribbon connector to "Drive" Tilt for the lightshow only and still utilize pinsound?

The other option is totally replacing Pinsound with Tilt....Do you sell TilT with a 2.1 amplifier yet or point me to how to do it?

-Nacman

#1775 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Do you plan to share your v3.7 which is perfect for WPC ? Or do we have to re-create our own from v3.6 ?

Thanks for your wiki BTW !

#1776 2 years ago
Quoted from Nacman:

BrewNinja / steve45
I already (before knowing about Tilt) purchased a Pinsound+ for my STTNG. I have a T2 I am restoring so eventually I will repurpose the Pinsound. However, in talking with Steve, I see there is an add-on solution that can control addressable LEDS using iC2 bus and FastLed library with an additional arduino mini. Impressed!!!
My question is can I have a custom made cable with an extra ribbon connector to "Drive" Tilt for the lightshow only and still utilize pinsound?
The other option is totally replacing Pinsound with Tilt....Do you sell TilT with a 2.1 amplifier yet or point me to how to do it?
-Nacman

I would stick with your pinsound if you want a solution that works out of the box and of course you have purchased it already, this thread is 4yrs deep and users are still having issues.

Also as you are wanting Toy/LED control from sound I would hang on and wait for Stumblor`s offering which is designed to add in with the existing soundboard.

#1777 2 years ago
Quoted from nutty:

this thread is 4yrs deep and users are still having issues.

I would say the known software issues are all solved. The issue that remains is that there are some users which THINK they have good soldering skills. Some freshly built boards I had in my hands, look more like 20years old field repaired pinball pcbs.

#1778 2 years ago

Looking for some help/guidance in troubleshooting TiltAudio on Data East Star Trek.

Background:
Game works fine with the original sound board so I can confirm that the ribbon cable, speakers, and speaker cabling are good. No issues, just wanted to try the TiltAudio board in my game. This will be my third installation of TiltAudio boards so I have some familiarity with the product. The other two machines are WPC DCS games (STTNG and IJ). I am using the 3.7 variant of the board which I purchased from BrewNinja running version 1.38 (also tried 1.37 with same results) of the TiltAudio code.

Downloaded the TREK_201 audio files from http://altsound.vpin24.com/ and upgraded my CPU ROM to 2.01 as well.

Game boots and TiltAudio announces "running trial license...." etc. DataEast is auto detected and game plays however no sound.

Using wi-fi app on my phone I can connect to the TiltAudio board and individually play each sound with no problem.

Enabled live trace logging however no data is shown in the logfile.

Triple checked all connections, etc... and all are good.

Swapped TiltAudio board into one of my WPC machines and it works fine.

As luck would have it my friend, who also has some TiltAudio boards, also has a DE Star Trek machine. He is seeing the exact same behavior. Additionally he has tried it in his DE GnR game and gets the same results. No sound. So three different DE games seeing the same behavior. All the boards were purchased from BrewNinja if that makes any difference.

My understanding was that with Board Rev 3.5 and higher there was no need for any jumpers to detect Data East, and as mentioned above the TiltAudio does auto-detect DE.

#1779 2 years ago
Quoted from ptolemy:

Looking for some help/guidance in troubleshooting TiltAudio on Data East Star Trek.
Background:
Game works fine with the original sound board so I can confirm that the ribbon cable, speakers, and speaker cabling are good. No issues, just wanted to try the TiltAudio board in my game. This will be my third installation of TiltAudio boards so I have some familiarity with the product. The other two machines are WPC DCS games (STTNG and IJ). I am using the 3.7 variant of the board which I purchased from BrewNinja running version 1.38 (also tried 1.37 with same results) of the TiltAudio code.
Downloaded the TREK_201 audio files from http://altsound.vpin24.com/ and upgraded my CPU ROM to 2.01 as well.
Game boots and TiltAudio announces "running trial license...." etc. DataEast is auto detected and game plays however no sound.
Using wi-fi app on my phone I can connect to the TiltAudio board and individually play each sound with no problem.
Enabled live trace logging however no data is shown in the logfile.
Triple checked all connections, etc... and all are good.
Swapped TiltAudio board into one of my WPC machines and it works fine.
As luck would have it my friend, who also has some TiltAudio boards, also has a DE Star Trek machine. He is seeing the exact same behavior. Additionally he has tried it in his DE GnR game and gets the same results. No sound. So three different DE games seeing the same behavior. All the boards were purchased from BrewNinja if that makes any difference.
My understanding was that with Board Rev 3.5 and higher there was no need for any jumpers to detect Data East, and as mentioned above the TiltAudio does auto-detect DE.

Try setting manually in the advanced config panel the machine type.

Autodetection never worked for me on WPC and WPC-DCS.

#1780 2 years ago
Quoted from RobCraig:

Feedback and Questions:
Game - Twilight Zone running 9.4H ROMS
Sound resource - altsound_tz_reorch.zip from http://altsound.vpin24.com/
Rpi Ver - 3B+ w/ 16GB uSD card
TILTAudio! Board - 3.7 from SlapSave Creations - fantastic PCB!
OS - 1.38 including an accidental update.zip of 1.38. Assume nothing bad happened with that.
This is my first install and testing of the board, RPi image, and sounds. Here are a couple of takeaways.
1. I was lucky enough to have a solid boot and good tests initially.
2. Did not wire speakers until test proved impressive enough - so holding off on that for a while.
3. Running headphones via BT failed on multiple attempts. May try a different set. Enabled in Web UI, paired successfully, but no output.
4. Plugging headphones in audio jack on RPi works great. Volume control via WebUI worked great.
5. Love the info from the little display. Valuable feedback at a glance.
The problem so many of you have written about resides here as well. This amazing Twilight Zone soundtrack is packed with everything I should need. I've listened to every sample. But during gameplay, I don't get any of the speech bits. Songs that shouldn't be playing are playing at the wrong times. I'm assuming from what I've read that we just have some calls with the wrong ID numbers or something. I have no idea where to begin - and may not care to continue at all. Can I just BUY a copy of someone's TZ config that works right? I will if it is available and proves to work for me.
What is the solution?
Maybe a tutorial on how to align these properly in the config files?
A repository of known good or properly configured and tested sound libraries for TILTAudio! somewhere?
Or a website that sells these so I can just buy them, install, and enjoy! (I like this option best!).
Am I ignorant of something and just don't know the simple solution? Feel free to roast me but point me in the right direction I've spent hours reading but nothing jumped out.
Any suggestions?

Is you system set manually to WPC-DCS ?

AFAIK BT is only supported with RPi4

#1781 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I set Vendor=0 in the raspisound.ini file but I will check the advanced config as well

#1782 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Just some more info on my problem. I went into the Expert Config setting and noticed there was a Data East* (asterisk setting) as well. Tried that and turned off auto-detect.

Still nothing. Game sounds play fine via web app just not during normal game play

#1783 2 years ago
Quoted from ptolemy:

I set Vendor=0 in the raspisound.ini file

quick comment on that one: settings are case sensitive, so it must be "vendor=1" and not "Vendor=1" !

#1784 2 years ago
Quoted from ptolemy:

Still nothing. Game sounds play fine via web app just not during normal game play

Did you check the logfile? You will see every single byte coming from the game in the logfile. For DE this normally reads like:

2019-01-07 18:31:36.617 DEBUG isr de [stbInterrupt] [pincom.c:***] stb int. address 47 0x2f

If there is nothing coming from the machine, but the stm on the daughter board was correctly initialised maybe it is still a board problem (wiring) between the pi and the stm. The autodetect only effects the sound command decoder on the pi itself, even with the wrong decoder, you should see command bytes coming in.

#1785 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

quick comment on that one: settings are case sensitive, so it must be "vendor=1" and not "Vendor=1" !

I'm sorry need to correct myself: it is already insensitive. I quickly looked it up in the code, and did a check. Vendor=1 was as good as vendor=1

#1786 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Did you check the logfile? You will see every single byte coming from the game in the logfile. For DE this normally reads like:
2019-01-07 18:31:36.617 DEBUG isr de [stbInterrupt] [pincom.c:***] stb int. address 47 0x2f
If there is nothing coming from the machine, but the stm on the daughter board was correctly initialised maybe it is still a board problem (wiring) between the pi and the stm. The autodetect only effects the sound command decoder on the pi itself, even with the wrong decoder, you should see command bytes coming in.

The board works fine in a WPC machine but I will check the soldering around the DE data cable. I've also tested another board and get the same results.

I will also try and swap in a different cable although the original cable works fine with the original board. I've also had a friend with a DE Star Trek have the same identical issues. I did notice in the manual that Star Trek is the only DE game that only has one chip in location 5C on the main board whereas all others have two chips installed. Probably nothing but wanted to point it out.

Mike

#1787 2 years ago

Did anyone actually tried a TiltAudio on a WPC95 ?

I didn't find any report on the web, I only found a "duplicator" cable on the official shop of TiltAudio.

steve45 gave me answer on the chat (thanks for that !), but I'd rather ask my questions here if anyone else is interested.

Latest board version v3.7 (available on oshwlab under the name of "tiltaudio-3.6") as two WPC connectors which is convenient because Audio and Video are on the same board and we can't simply replace the audio board as for WPC.
We can now use a standard cable instead of the "duplicator" cable, less convenient, needed by the previous version of the board.

I'm wondering about power supply as J501 doesn't exist on my WPC95.

We need an alternative current (at least 10VAC) to get our 12VDC/5VDC via the Diode Bridge and the DC-DC step down converters.
On my WPC95 we have two connectors J130/J131 which, according to schematics, are not used but connected to J128 and its 16VAC.
But those two are used for flasher and solenoids, and I don't know if it's a good idea for powering audio.
And I'm wondering what will happen when we open the coin door ... I'am not sure power will still be available...

We can also make a derivation of J129 and its 13VAC or use directly the 18VDC of TIP102 on DC-DC converter.

20220102224622-Sebinouse-28F808E6-D074-48AA-BDCC-C0BFA18607DB (resized).jpeg20220102224622-Sebinouse-28F808E6-D074-48AA-BDCC-C0BFA18607DB (resized).jpeg

Let me know if you have a better idea ...

Next question is about the location of the board : where do you put it ? Because it seems pretty big (form factor of the WPC board) and i don't see any obvious place for it !

20220102232634-Sebinouse-FD802F28-3EEC-4661-9A38-5A35D35F80E4 (resized).jpeg20220102232634-Sebinouse-FD802F28-3EEC-4661-9A38-5A35D35F80E4 (resized).jpeg

Last question (for today) is about the Pin2DMD connector. I've a Nucleo V4 shied that is powered with 5VDC and I'm wondering why the 4 PINs Pin2DMD connector doesn't get it and why only one pin is used (for 12VDC) and the others grounded. Is it reserved for future developement (PPUC?) or can we get a 5VDC pin on it ?

#1788 2 years ago
Quoted from Sebinouse:

Did anyone actually tried a TiltAudio on a WPC95 ?
I didn't find any report on the web, I only found a "duplicator" cable on the official shop of TiltAudio.
steve45 gave me answer on the chat (thanks for that !), but I'd rather ask my questions here if anyone else is interested.
Latest board version v3.7 (available on oshwlab under the name of "tiltaudio-3.6") as two WPC connectors which is convenient because Audio and Video are on the same board and we can't simply replace the audio board as for WPC.
We can now use a standard cable instead of the "duplicator" cable, less convenient, needed by the previous version of the board.
We need an alternative current (at least 10VAC) to get our 12VDC/5VDC via the Diode Bridge and the DC-DC step down converters.
On my WPC95 we have two connectors J130/J131 which, according to schematics, are not used but connected to J128 and its 16VAC.
But those two are used for flasher and solenoids, and I don't know if it's a good idea for powering audio.
And I'm wondering what will happen when we open the coin door ... I'am not sure power will still be available...
We can also make a derivation of J129 and its 13VAC or use directly the 18VDC of TIP102 on DC-DC converter.
[quoted image]
Next question is about the location of the board : where do you put it ? Because it seems pretty big (form factor of the WPC board) and i don't see any obvious place for it !
[quoted image]
Last question (for today) is about the Pin2DMD connector. I've a Nucleo V4 shied that is powered with 5VDC and I'm wondering why the 4 PINs Pin2DMD connector doesn't get it and why only one pin is used (for 12VDC) and the others grounded. Is it reserved for future developement (PPUC?) or can we get a 5VDC pin on it ?

Supposedly if the AV board is dead you can use a WPC DMD driver board and then a separate sound card like the Pinsound or Tilt Audio.

#1789 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Checked the logfile. Nothing. Tried changing to WPC, WPCDCS, etc. and get nothing in the live trace logfile. Switched out cables and nothing. Original sound board works perfectly fine. Has anyone gotten this latest board to work with a Rev 3 Data East board? This same board works perfecting fine in my IJ and STTNG machine when configured as WPCDCS.

Tried both 1.37 and 1.38 with same results. The board does not appear to be detecting any signals coming from the main DE board.

Tried multiple TiltAudio boards in multiple DE machines and same results. Sounds work fine from the WebUI just not during normal game play.

Are there additional thinks I can check for with a logic probe, etc.. to help in diagnosing this problem?

Also it would be good to know if anyone has gotten BrewNinja boards to work in a DE machine.

#1790 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Supposedly if the AV board is dead you can use a WPC DMD driver board and then a separate sound card like the Pinsound or Tilt Audio.

A/V board is fine, i’d like to have real stereo and bluetooth on my pinball !
(And get rid of my Pin2DMD external power supply)

#1791 2 years ago
Quoted from Sebinouse:

Did anyone actually try a TiltAudio on a WPC95 ?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

#1792 2 years ago
Quoted from Sebinouse:

This connector is meat for reusing an external 12V power supply. So if you have an external power already for a pin2dmd with 12V you could drive the TILT!Audio board (or vice versa). TILT!Audio board in general only uses 12V for amps and creates the 5V on board.

#1793 2 years ago
Quoted from Sebinouse:

Next question is about the location of the board : where do you put it ?

People normally put it to the right next to the av board.

#1794 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

People normally put it to the right of the av board.

OK, I'll give a closer look to it.

Quoted from steve45:

This connector is meat for reusing an external 12V power supply. So if you have an external power already for a pin2dmd with 12V you could drive the TILT!Audio board (or vice versa). TILT!Audio board in general only uses 12V for amps and creates the 5V on board.

Can we use another pin of the connector to get 5VDC output then ? Like you did for 12VDC.

#1795 2 years ago
Quoted from ptolemy:

I did notice in the manual that Star Trek is the only DE game that only has one chip in location 5C on the main board whereas all others have two chips installed. Probably nothing but wanted to point it out.

unfortunately I don't have access to a star trek DE to test, but it run on various DE machines without any problems. There's also a lot of demo videos for DE games on my YT channel. I will double check the schematics and do some regression tests on one of my DE games. I hope we can fix it.

#1796 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

unfortunately I don't have access to a star trek DE to test, but it run on various DE machines without any problems. There's also a lot of demo videos for DE games on my YT channel. I will double check the schematics and do some regression tests on one of my DE games. I hope we can fix it.

Ok. Let me know if you need me to test anything. We are also unable to get it to work in a DE GnR as well if that helps you diagnose the problem by looking at the schematics.

#1797 2 years ago

Sorry, was away from the computer a lot over the holidays. Just catching up. In order to see anything in the live log, you need to set the level AND hit the checkbox. If you still arent seeing anything, just hit download. It will download a file with all the log info since boot.

#1798 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Sorry, was away from the computer a lot over the holidays. Just catching up. In order to see anything in the live log, you need to set the level AND hit the checkbox. If you still arent seeing anything, just hit download. It will download a file with all the log info since boot.

Tried to post the logfile but it wouldn't post the entire file in my reply. Converted it to PDF and attaching.

raspilog.pdfraspilog.pdf
#1799 2 years ago
Quoted from ptolemy:

Tried to post the logfile but it wouldn't post the entire file in my reply. Converted it to PDF and attaching.[quoted image]

TRACE level logfile is not really helpful in this case. It actually only tells about loading sounds and of course all startup params, but so far there is nothing obvious wrong. It has especially not a single line from the interrupt handler, that tells about a command byte received from the game ...

#1800 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

TRACE level logfile is not really helpful in this case. It actually only tells about loading sounds and of course all startup params, but so far there is nothing obvious wrong. It has especially not a single line from the interrupt handler, that tells about a command byte received from the game ...

yes I noticed the same thing. If the board works fine in a WPCDCS machine can I safely assume that the board is assembled and working properly? I even went so far as to use my DMM to ohm out the 20 pin DE IDC connector on the board to confirm continuity. For some reason it does not appear that the commands from the main board are being detected on the TiltAudio board. As mentioned when connected to the original sound board everything works fine.

I noticed on your YT channel that you had DE Star Wars working but I believe that was using an older version of the board. Can you confirm DE Star Wars works with this latest revision of the Tilt Audio board?

Is there an older version of the board available that I could try? Perhaps a board that was specifically tested and known to work in a DE machine?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 36 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/36?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.