raspilog.pdf (PDF preview)
20220102232634-Sebinouse-FD802F28-3EEC-4661-9A38-5A35D35F80E4 (resized).jpeg
20220102224622-Sebinouse-28F808E6-D074-48AA-BDCC-C0BFA18607DB (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
DD979586-D242-46E9-8FFF-D6711145A834 (resized).jpeg
screen (resized).png
C5A11AC0-78A6-45DF-8737-C3E1E046DEDE (resized).jpeg

There are 1,864 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 38.
#1701 9 months ago
Quoted from JBBOPT:

Not proud of my clip job under the amp board after trying to desolder the connections on the top to get it off was
unsuccessful on a few spots, but I’ve soldered in a new amp board and the backbox speakers are working again.
Thanks all!

One of the reason why on my TiltAudio pretty much everything is on socket...

#1702 9 months ago

Got my TiltAudio board running in my Getaway, first try. Now on to more testing and playing, thanks to those that helped so far.

C5A11AC0-78A6-45DF-8737-C3E1E046DEDE (resized).jpeg
#1703 9 months ago

I am having difficulties using the WebUI. I added files I wanted and then deleted the old files and that made the sound not work properly after a power cycle. Rasp Pi 3B+, version 1.37. I tried it with both sound formats, folder structure and alt audio structure and similar results. In the case of the alt audio the change within the WebUI wiped out the altsound.csv file 0kb per picture and the file that I uploaded and played prior to reboot for the shooter lane showed as 0kb. If I load an audio mix and don't touch it via the WebUI then it appears that everything is OK. Any help is appreciated.

screen (resized).png
#1704 9 months ago

Anyone got a picture of V3.7 assembled or instructions? Looks like it has connector for WPC and WPC95 boards.

#1705 9 months ago
Quoted from hawknole:I am having difficulties using the WebUI. I added files I wanted and then deleted the old files and that made the sound not work properly after a power cycle. Rasp Pi 3B+, version 1.37. I tried it with both sound formats, folder structure and alt audio structure and similar results. In the case of the alt audio the change within the WebUI wiped out the altsound.csv file 0kb per picture and the file that I uploaded and played prior to reboot for the shooter lane showed as 0kb. If I load an audio mix and don't touch it via the WebUI then it appears that everything is OK. Any help is appreciated.
[quoted image]

Is this reproducable ? Can you give a step by step instruction ho this happens ?

#1706 9 months ago

I am having difficulties using the WebUI. I added files I wanted and then deleted the old files and that made the sound not work properly after a power cycle. Rasp Pi 3B+, version 1.37. I tried it with both sound formats, folder structure and alt audio structure and similar results. In the case of the alt audio the change within the WebUI wiped out the altsound.csv file 0kb per picture and the file that I uploaded and played prior to reboot for the shooter lane showed as 0kb. If I load an audio mix and don't touch it via the WebUI then it appears that everything is OK. Any help is appreciated.

Quoted from lucky1:

Is this reproducable ? Can you give a step by step instruction ho this happens ?

Yes. it was reproducable as it happened more than once for both folder structure and altaudio.

1) Turn machine on and wait for IP
2) Via laptop go to Web UI and Sounds, expand to show 'Details'
3) Click 'Add' and Browse for a file on my laptop and Upload
4) Then I see the original sound and the newly uploaded sound in the drop down
5) Play the new sound and it plays on the machine, or via browser, whichever
6) Delete the original sound as I only want the new sound
7) Play the new sound again to double check
8) Play a game on the machine, all seems good and I hear the new sound
9) Close the WebUI, there is no save config option on the Sounds screen
10) Power cycle machine and the sound files do not play, in the case of the folder structure, just the music did not play; in the case of the altaudio it zero'd out the config as shown above and no sounds played

I am now changing sound files directly on the micro sd card plugged in to my laptop and that works fine.

#1707 9 months ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Anyone got a picture of V3.7 assembled or instructions? Looks like it has connector for WPC and WPC95 boards.

Correct, pic of board that Charlie built

DD979586-D242-46E9-8FFF-D6711145A834 (resized).jpeg
#1708 9 months ago

Cats out of the bag I unfortunately versioned this poorly. I should have called it like 3.65 or something because it could collide with what Steve puts out if he doesn't take my additions. Anyways, I added a few asked for additions to the last batch of boards I had made. You can rotate the OLED for DE machines (but only the more common OLED pinout), and I added a second 34 pin connector for WPC95 machines. WPC95 machines needed a special cable made in order to use it in them. Instead of that, I added a second connector which you can just use as a jumper. WAY easier than making a special cable. Unfortunately, I have no way to test it out. The biggest and what I consider the best change is I added markings to the PCB to make it easier to know what/where to connect. The header pins that need pins removed have a big white square over them. For the DE and WPC ribbon connectors, I put a white box on the side that gets the cut out (you can see it towards the upper left of the pic above). Lastly, there is also a wider white box around the pins for the DAC.

Other than that, assembly is the exact same as 3.5/3.6. I'll take a pic and highlight the changes as some point, but its been super busy around here and I haven't had a chance.

#1709 9 months ago

Hey would this work with a funhouse A-12738 board? im trying to fix one but if this is better i dont have a problem buying one, thanks for your help.

#1710 9 months ago
Quoted from abispac:

Hey would this work with a funhouse A-12738 board? im trying to fix one but if this is better i dont have a problem buying one, thanks for your help.

Yes, the TiltAudio board can be put in a Funhouse.
See here :

#1711 9 months ago
Quoted from abispac:

Yes, I run the 3.5 version in my funhouse.

#1712 9 months ago

Is there a way to permanently set the output device for sound. I have it hanging and making ringing noises after restarting a lot. I have to go back in And change to Hiberry dac.(even if it’s on that already Test with pling noise and it’s fine and plays fine. Then I might restart game days later and have same issue. Rasp 4 is powering and it always makes that ringing if I choose the sound device hifiberry dac with bluerooth and equalizer which is first on drop down list so I feel it’s defaulting to the first drop down device on startup which is causing my ringing noise)lasts over minute and sometimes have to restart machine and tilt device to be able to login to web GUI.

#1713 9 months ago

On1.37 firmware btw, also happened on 1.36. On 1.37 when I have to restart my machine after the ringing hangs it up, it then starts tilt audio with auto detect which for some reason detects my wpcdcs Star Trek next gen as data east. I normally have auto detect off and also have it set to wpcdcs automatically

#1714 9 months ago

going back to 1.35 seems to help, it did do the ringing sounds after the reboot, but when i shut off pinball machine and restarted it worked fine with correct audio and kept dcs. I restarted the pinball machine several times and all works well.

#1715 9 months ago

Ringing issue video

#1716 9 months ago

I know Steve has been busy with real life, so he hasn't been working on this much. Grabbing the log from it after it happens should help narrow down whats going on.

2 weeks later
#1717 8 months ago

Has anyone tweak the settings to get it load faster yet? Just wondering if someone has a good configuration to get the Pi to start up faster.

#1718 8 months ago

Do most folks upgrade speakers using flipper fidelity (or similar)? Curious if anyone has purchased speakers from Parts Express and if so which ones?

#1719 8 months ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

Has anyone tweak the settings to get it load faster yet? Just wondering if someone has a good configuration to get the Pi to start up faster.

There was some work done by a contributor, but he stopped as he did not want to spend time on a closed source SW. Unfortunately he did not provide his changes... You can save a one or two seconds, but preloading is what takes the most time (at least in my case)

Quoted from ptolemy:

Do most folks upgrade speakers using flipper fidelity (or similar)? Curious if anyone has purchased speakers from Parts Express and if so which ones?

From the slack channel, one of the recommendation was to use this sub: rockwood ydd-200. Super cheap, and it has a dual coil, so you can actually add more power output by wiring the secondary coil to the secondary output of the cabinet amp (requires a custom wire, but easy to implement on the board itself).

With regards to backbox speaker, I've been using recommendation from this page:
http://www.dziedzic.us/wpc_speaker_sound_info.html

Note that if you use the DSP, you do not need the speaker filter, the DSP will do that for you.

#1720 8 months ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Yes. it was reproducable as it happened more than once for both folder structure and altaudio.
1) Turn machine on and wait for IP
2) Via laptop go to Web UI and Sounds, expand to show 'Details'
3) Click 'Add' and Browse for a file on my laptop and Upload
4) Then I see the original sound and the newly uploaded sound in the drop down
5) Play the new sound and it plays on the machine, or via browser, whichever
6) Delete the original sound as I only want the new sound
7) Play the new sound again to double check
8) Play a game on the machine, all seems good and I hear the new sound
9) Close the WebUI, there is no save config option on the Sounds screen
10) Power cycle machine and the sound files do not play, in the case of the folder structure, just the music did not play; in the case of the altaudio it zero'd out the config as shown above and no sounds played
I am now changing sound files directly on the micro sd card plugged in to my laptop and that works fine.

Sidenote: are you the author of the Hawkhole mix for LOTR ?

#1721 8 months ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Sidenote: are you the author of the Hawkhole mix for LOTR ?

Yes I am, if you are using it hopefully you like it, I spent many many hours on that.

#1722 8 months ago

How long does it take to get a license?

#1723 8 months ago
Quoted from jjoravec:

How long does it take to get a license?

Did you get one from Steve yet? Maybe check your spam.

#1724 8 months ago

Hello everybody,

I also have the ringing issue like JBBOPT using the Pi4. I was surprised because the Pi is the recommended device to use if you like to use the bluetooth functionality.
Steve was informed and could reproduce the problem. I got a test version which was doing the sound loading in parallel. Unfortunately, this software had other bugs so it is not really working in my STTNG. Since three months, there was no update. I hope Steve is still working on that topic.

#1725 8 months ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Did you get one from Steve yet? Maybe check your spam.

I got my licenses. Thanks

1 week later
#1726 7 months ago

Moertsches,
If switching to a 3b+ will fix it I will gladly swap it my 4 for a 3b+, since I don’t think I’ll end up using bluetooth. I wonder if Steve would transfer the license from one pi to another in this case.

#1727 7 months ago
Quoted from JBBOPT:

Moertsches,
If switching to a 3b+ will fix it I will gladly swap it my 4 for a 3b+, since I don’t think I’ll end up using bluetooth. I wonder if Steve would transfer the license from one pi to another in this case.

If they are already both licensed don’t you just include it with the Pi? What transfer is needed?

#1728 7 months ago
Quoted from moertsches:

Hello everybody,
I also have the ringing issue like JBBOPT using the Pi4. I was surprised because the Pi is the recommended device to use if you like to use the bluetooth functionality.
Steve was informed and could reproduce the problem. I got a test version which was doing the sound loading in parallel. Unfortunately, this software had other bugs so it is not really working in my STTNG. Since three months, there was no update. I hope Steve is still working on that topic.

Steve released a 1.38rc5 which I have successfully working in my LOTR.

1 week later
#1729 7 months ago

Hi all, I am running the slapsave 3.5x tiltaudio board with firmware 1.37 and I have one working folder based sound set for CFTBL, however, I am not having luck just swapping in other sound files into the folders, it then gives the scrambled id message and I am not sure why.

I did have success swapping in other sound files in a folder structure on my Getaway but not CFTBL. I understand the concept of not changing the folder names and just swapping in new sound files, but on CFTBL then it gives a scrambled ID error message.

I searched through the thread and others and I see a reference to config.raspisnd file, however, I cannot find this file to update.

I know the altsound CSV will work and I have a mix with that, however, I am also playing serial video commands and with a license the serial video commands will not play with an altsound CSV.

Therefore, I am looking for a solution to the scrambled ID problem. Any help is appreciated.

#1730 7 months ago
Quoted from hawknole:

I am not having luck just swapping in other sound files into the folders

Do you have an example of the soundfile name you are swapping in ?
If it starts with a number, does it help if you remove that number from the name of the file ?

#1731 7 months ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Do you have an example of the soundfile name you are swapping in ?
If it starts with a number, does it help if you remove that number from the name of the file ?

Thanks for the reply Lucky. I worked through all 250+ files in CFTBL and tried many options. It does not look like a leading number in the file name creates a scrambled ID as there were many in my initial working sound pack and a sound pack that I got working.

I am 99.9% certain that I have it figured out. You have to start with a working folder structure sound pack, which so far I was able to find for Getaway and CFTBL. (More on this concern later.) The trick I found is when changing a working folder structure sound pack, if there is not a file in a folder then you cannot put a file in that folder, that will result in a scrambled ID, likewise if you leave a folder blank where there is a file in the working sound pack structure then that will also result in a scrambled ID. Following this simple criteria, I was able to take an existing working folder structure sound pack and change out virtually all of the files and it successfully loads into TiltAudio. Obviously, I did not change any of the folder names. This is a rule that also applies to all PinSound mixes that I have worked on as well.

My question and bigger concern for down the road is if I do not have a working folder structure sound pack, how would I generate the config file that the software is looking for since it says "config missing". As a note, I have not been using anything but the folder structure sound pack, I have no config file for my working sound packs.

Thanks in advance to all for any direction on the config.

#1732 7 months ago
Quoted from hawknole:

Thanks for the reply Lucky. I worked through all 250+ files in CFTBL and tried many options. It does not look like a leading number in the file name creates a scrambled ID as there were many in my initial working sound pack and a sound pack that I got working.
I am 99.9% certain that I have it figured out. You have to start with a working folder structure sound pack, which so far I was able to find for Getaway and CFTBL. (More on this concern later.) The trick I found is when changing a working folder structure sound pack, if there is not a file in a folder then you cannot put a file in that folder, that will result in a scrambled ID, likewise if you leave a folder blank where there is a file in the working sound pack structure then that will also result in a scrambled ID. Following this simple criteria, I was able to take an existing working folder structure sound pack and change out virtually all of the files and it successfully loads into TiltAudio. Obviously, I did not change any of the folder names. This is a rule that also applies to all PinSound mixes that I have worked on as well.
My question and bigger concern for down the road is if I do not have a working folder structure sound pack, how would I generate the config file that the software is looking for since it says "config missing". As a note, I have not been using anything but the folder structure sound pack, I have no config file for my working sound packs.
Thanks in advance to all for any direction on the config.

Pinsound considers the folder structure and ALL the sound packs using it as THEIR intellectual property. That is why steve implemented the altsound structure into tiltsound which was introduced into pinmame (virtual pinball) when Pinsound started scrambling "their" soundsets. From the vpin community there
is a altsound soundset for almost every machine supported by pinmame (and tiltaudio). Just google for altsound and use that format for your new projects.

#1733 7 months ago

OK, I will use altsound for tiltaudio

2 weeks later
#1734 6 months ago

Trying to get a tilt audio board working in my T2. Using a pi-4-b. I can flash the image to the micro sd, add the altsound file to the sound folder, add the update to the update folder, and my key to the sound folder. The first time I boot my T2 I get the chime and the voice and it says something like configured for data east with incompatible sound file. I can then connect via wifi and using the web GUI I’m able to change to WPC and I can save changes.

After I reboot from the GUI, I can’t get anymore sound from the pin again. I can still connect to tiltaudio WiFi and go into the web GUI, but I can’t get any sound; not in “audio device” play test sounds, nor in “sounds”.

Anything obvious that I’m doing wrong?

#1735 6 months ago

Okay, it seems I was switching to an audio device that didn’t work and saving it. The only audio device that works is snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac. Is this normal?

Also, I can now play all the sounds on the pin from the web GUI, but no actions from the pin make any sound: not starting a game, not opening the door or accessing the menu,…

Looking for suggestions.

#1736 6 months ago
Quoted from curban:

Okay, it seems I was switching to an audio device that didn’t work and saving it. The only audio device that works is snd_rpi_hifiberry_dac. Is this normal?
Also, I can now play all the sounds on the pin from the web GUI, but no actions from the pin make any sound: not starting a game, not opening the door or accessing the menu,…
Looking for suggestions.

curban Yes, the audio device is standard/normal.
Which version of the board do you have ?
And did you get it pre-built or as a kit ?
Have you updated to the last software version ?

#1737 6 months ago

If you arent getting any sounds from the pin, but everything else works, then you have a problem somewhere in the input section (basically, top left). For that section, pinball machine input comes from the ribbon cable, through the resistor networks, then to the little black pill board. From there, it gets sent to the pi. You probably have an issue somewhere in that area. I would use a multimeter to test continuity. You can also boot it up and then grab the log from the gui. It will tell you if its not seeing the black pill board. If thats the case, then it may be that the black pill wasnt flashed right. You can either rename the file on the sd card (cant remember what its called off the top of my head) or reflash the card (or another card) and stick it in. It only flashes the black pill board once.

#1738 6 months ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

curban Yes, the audio device is standard/normal.
Which version of the board do you have ?
And did you get it pre-built or as a kit ?
Have you updated to the last software version ?

I have the latest version of the board. I bought it as a kit. I did download the latest software and update.

Quoted from BrewNinja:

If you arent getting any sounds from the pin, but everything else works, then you have a problem somewhere in the input section (basically, top left). For that section, pinball machine input comes from the ribbon cable, through the resistor networks, then to the little black pill board. From there, it gets sent to the pi. You probably have an issue somewhere in that area. I would use a multimeter to test continuity. You can also boot it up and then grab the log from the gui. It will tell you if its not seeing the black pill board. If thats the case, then it may be that the black pill wasnt flashed right. You can either rename the file on the sd card (cant remember what its called off the top of my head) or reflash the card (or another card) and stick it in. It only flashes the black pill board once.

Resistor networks were at least one of my problem(s). I had them in backwards. Im working on fixing them, but I dont have good soldering/desoldering equipment so the repair will be a minor adventure.

Thanks for the replies.

#1739 6 months ago

So, I ripped out the resistor arrays. (Yeah, bad soldering equipment). Did my best to repair any possible damage to the board. Replaced the arrays the correct way. Put the board back in my T2. Still nothing.

Brewninja mentioned something about flashing a black pill. Way over my head, but decided I would reflash the microSD to see if that helped…waiting for it now. As you can see, I’m taking random shots in the dark. Any chance I’m missing something obvious?

#1740 6 months ago

Still not able to get any sounds initiated from the pin. I can only get sound playback when controlled from the web GUI.

Nothing appears in the log file unless I send a sound from the GUI or press the buttons on that ‘black pill’ board.

Where can I get help

#1741 6 months ago
Quoted from curban:

Still not able to get any sounds initiated from the pin. I can only get sound playback when controlled from the web GUI.
Nothing appears in the log file unless I send a sound from the GUI or press the buttons on that ‘black pill’ board.
Where can I get help

Did you connect the horizontal 4 pins header at the bottom of the blackpill board ?
What is the status of the blackpill led at boot, and during operation ?
Did you check continuity after your rework ? There is a schematics of the board showing the connections to help you check the board status

#1742 6 months ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Did you connect the horizontal 4 pins header at the bottom of the blackpill board ?
What is the status of the blackpill led at boot, and during operation ?
Did you check continuity after your rework ? There is a schematics of the board showing the connections to help you check the board status

I connected the four pin header at the bottom of the Board.

No LED lights on the backpill. Neither during boot or operation.

I didn’t check continuity. Not sure where everything is supposed to come and go and where to test. Where can I get the schematic?

That J502 connector isn’t supposed to plug in somewhere is it?

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#1743 6 months ago

Okay…thinking I got the four pin header wrong. I connected it to the board vertically. What’s supposed to connect to it horizontally?

#1744 6 months ago

Seems to me the 4 pin header is OK (it's shown with pins and solder, so I assume it's connected below).

Some of your solder points on the vertical headers however seem dubious (hard to say with the picture quality), can you reflow them and add a small piece of solder ? Likewise, your resistor array do not look very well soldered...

Schematics can be found here: https://oshwlab.com/steve45/tiltaudio (although I get a 504 error right now)

With regards to the led, I don't recall exactly, but if my memory is correct the led should flash at boot at least, but need to check

#1745 6 months ago

I hate to say it, but it appears that board is toast. Looking at the network resistor soldering, it appears you made the pads larger. That basically means you just put all the pads to ground. I would guess that if you do a continuity test from any of the legs to a ground, they will all be connected. I would start there. If so, not much you can do easily. The only thing would be to cut all traces at the WPC header and then solder in wires directly to where they need to go.

#1746 6 months ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

I hate to say it, but it appears that board is toast. Looking at the network resistor soldering, it appears you made the pads larger. That basically means you just put all the pads to ground. I would guess that if you do a continuity test from any of the legs to a ground, they will all be connected. I would start there. If so, not much you can do easily. The only thing would be to cut all traces at the WPC header and then solder in wires directly to where they need to go.

Yeah, I probably screwed up the board. For what it’s worth, I only put tiny pieces of copper tape at the resistor arrays, and have since removed them to the best of my ability…but perhaps there are tiny fragments remaining that are still causing some shorts.

I did spend some time checking continuity between WPC header, resistor arrays, and the black pill…and soldering wires where I didn’t have continuity…but there were some peculiarities I couldn’t get my head around…maybe because of what I did at the pads. I am, admittedly, also struggling to fully understand the schematics.

Unfortunately, I’m not going to have a chance to look at this for a couple of weeks. I’ll give one more shot at repairing my mistakes then.

#1747 6 months ago

I have a Shadow with scratchy sound and instead of (or in addition to) repairing the original board I was curious if a Tilt Audio would be a good replacement. I have a couple of dumb questions...

Is the Tilt a total audio board replacement, including amplifiers?

Is there a straightforward way to get the original game sound running on the Tilt? I'm not particularly interested in new sound sets... I am a weirdo who likes the originals.

Though, in The Shadow, I guess there is one movie line that would be great for a drain sound once in a while:

Margo: "You have problems."
Lamont: "I'm aware of that."

#1748 6 months ago

Yes, its a total replacement. It does have amps and also you can balance the speaker volume between the cabinet and head (they have separate gain wheels).

Getting the original sound is pretty easy. Having said that, it does take tweaking currently. Volume of sounds, etc needs adjusting out of the box because it plays them all at one level. Personally, I find playing with an altsound version to be the easiest. Ultimately, as more people use them, I hope they share back their tweaks so people can just download the sound set (like the other big name). Id love to host them, so if you have a sound set that is pretty good that you have tweaked, let me know.

Replacing sounds is easy, but they need to be about the same length. Depending on the situation, runover/under wont matter though.

Ultimately, if you like to tweak things and have some time to play around, its a fun project.

#1749 6 months ago

Thanks a million BrewNinja, just what I needed to know. Sounds like a reasonable option for me.

#1750 6 months ago

Hi pinsiders, yes it's been a while since I last posted on this thread.

Just want to give some status update: yes I'm still alive and yes I'm still working on TILT!Audio.

Maybe some of you already know or discovered it on other channels, there is a release candidate rc9 for the upcoming release 1.38. It contains all the "not yet released" features that are mentioned in the change log on the TILT!Audio website.

I'm also working on the annoying problem with Pi4:
- first: there is a workaround: just don't use the software equalizer, but the dac audio device directly.
- 2nd: the problem is not so easy to fix, as it has to do with the newer libs from the more recent dietpi distribution that causes that low level ALSA problem somehow. I'm currently again creating a new base image based on the latest dietpi and the hope it that problems are gone.

There is also an easy bugfix for problems with PI3A+ or the new PI zero 2 W:
Unfortunately the config.txt has a wrong setting for 512MB system and configures way to much GPU ram, which is not needed at all.
So simply replace "gpu_mem_512=128" with "gpu_mem_512=16" in the config.txt on the boot partition of your sd card and it will run fine.

I would like to take the opportunity to thank all of the contributing folks here on pinside (and elsewhere) that basically make such a project successful in the end. Of course it is always fun to create something and develop it further, but without a supporting community it will never work.

Stay tuned, the 1.38 firmware release will come soon, also a new image (based on a more recent dietpi) will follow.

Cheers Steve

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 55.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Diddy's Pinball Mods
There are 1,864 posts in this topic. You are on page 35 of 38.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!