rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG

There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 41.
#1551 2 years ago

For reference and anyone interested, I found this nice shield:

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005002091633431.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.7e0c6c37c7xgdb

(see block diagram below)

Which would make a very nice shield for a shaker/ledstrip interface (from TiltAudio to Seeedstudio Xiao)

You of course need to add a Seeedstudio Xiao to it (super small), and a motor controller should you need to add a shaker.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1552 2 years ago
Quoted from waynestatemac:

Yeah I was going to type that in like adding an extra set of leafs to the flipper switches and wiring to go back to the pie somehow. Seemed plausible if the switches were added. I'll have to take a look on how to do that with a udp network.

For udp networking you would definitely require some other sort of controller that monitor the switch and then send an event back to the TILT!Audio board. I could think of an easier solution based on I2C but that's not available at the moment. And it would still required another controller that sends (or responds to) i2c commands and monitors the switch.

#1553 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

For udp networking you would definitely require some other sort of controller that monitor the switch and then send an event back to the TILT!Audio board. I could think of an easier solution based on I2C but that's not available at the moment. And it would still required another controller that sends (or responds to) i2c commands and monitors the switch.

I would assume there are some spare GPIOs on the RPI, right ? So conceptually it should be possible to hook up one of the switch, probably needs to add a little bit of logic glue in between (similar to what PinLightShield does, using the two switch signals and some flip-flop).

#1554 2 years ago

Is anyone else running the latest version 1.34 with a Data East machine? The new version doesn't seem to be working for me. Running it on a version 2.5 board. After it is booted I seem a hear a very faint ticking or other sound fragments at rest. When sounds do play they break up in the middle of the sounds. I have the alt sound pack for Rocky and Bullwinkle. This is running on the bench at the moment and I can log into the WebUI to play the sounds. If I revert back to version 1.32 all the sounds play smoothly and I don't hear that faint ticking noise. In regards to that ticking noise it is not the dots as the sound set is loading. Just hints of random sound fragments when it should be silent.

Maybe the new version runs ok for WPC but I've been unable to get it to act as I'd expect for the Data East setup. Is there anything extra or special that needs to be done for Data East?

#1555 2 years ago

Ticking noise and dots means that it is preloading the sounds into memory

#1556 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I would assume there are some spare GPIOs on the RPI, right ? So conceptually it should be possible to hook up one of the switch, probably needs to add a little bit of logic glue in between (similar to what PinLightShield does, using the two switch signals and some flip-flop).

Could be done, yes. but in general I would not recommend to route wires from coin door switch to backbox raspberry pi directly.

#1557 2 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Ticking noise and dots means that it is preloading the sounds into memory

That ticking sound is a nice addition. However this is way after that and it isn't just ticks but other sound fragments. Also the normal sounds breakup as they play so something odd is going on. I have the license file, sounds, etc in the exact same locations as I did with v1.32 If I go back to the v1.32 image it all works ok. So just wondering if something new needs to be set or if there are any issues with Data East.

#1558 2 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Maybe the new version runs ok for WPC but I've been unable to get it to act as I'd expect for the Data East setup. Is there anything extra or special that needs to be done for Data East?

No nothing special. And it was tested on LW3 and MSF. Can you provide a logfile?

#1559 2 years ago

new firmware 1.35 is out. As always you can find it here: https://tiltaudio.com/file/update-latest
Only small bugfix this time: the new auto detect game type feature was fixed to also work with WPC DCS

#1560 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

new firmware 1.35 is out. As always you can find it here: https://tiltaudio.com/file/update-latest
Only small bugfix this time: the new auto detect game type feature was fixed to also work with WPC DCS

Let me download the latest version and give that a shot. At the moment the board isn't in the game. I have it sitting out on the bench with the volume control pot, speakers, and a switching power supply. Everything I am running into is a normal power up and using the WebUI. Just noticed the different behavior and want to get that sorted out before putting it in the game.

If the issue is still there after the 1.35 then I'll see if anything is logged and post it.

Are the tests with LW3 done with your latest V3.5 board? If not then maybe something odd with the older boards.

#1561 2 years ago

Is the V1.35 just available as an update? The regular firmware download still shows V1.34

#1562 2 years ago

1.35 on a 3.5 board Wpc Dcs STTNG, happy with board but was hoping to play with the equalizer. Output using 2 of the hifiberry sac options works well with and without software conversion. But when I choose hifiberrydac with equalizer it scrambled the audio and doesn’t function correctly.
2 questions
1)Why doesn’t the equalizer option work?
2) What is the difference between the with and without software conversion?

#1563 2 years ago

steve45 A couple suggestions for the next revision of the TilitAudio board:

- Move the push button away from the optional display another .25" to .5" so it will make it easier to push that button without hitting the display.

- Add a duplicate set of pads for the display turned 90 degrees (near the current location of the switch. That will allow the display to be placed in portrait or landscape orientation. That way people using the board in a Data East game can have the display orientated the right way for viewing.

Both of these should be able to be done without altering the rest of the board and I think would improve it.

I still need to see if I can apply the update file to see if that helps with the Data East configuration. I may not have anything to do with Data East. I am running this on a Rpi 3A+ so maybe it has more to do with the 3A+ than it does set to Data East.

Robert

#1564 2 years ago

Move the push button away from the optional display another .25" to .5" so it will make it easier to push that button without hitting the display.

- Add a duplicate set of pads for the display turned 90 degrees (near the current location of the switch. That will allow the display to be placed in portrait or landscape orientation. That way people using the board in a Data East game can have the display orientated the right way for viewing.

Good suggestions. The schematics and board are public: I always thought you were also doing electronics, creating boards etc. So just go ahead and improve the board, I would highly appreciate it. Will include it in ordering the next batch.

#1565 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Good suggestions. The schematics and board are public: I always thought you were also doing electronics, creating boards etc. So just go ahead and improve the board, I would highly appreciate it. Will include it in ordering the next batch.

I have made a lot of different boards in the past and have a couple current projects I'm working but have an older layout tool. I need to upgrade and pick a new board toolset and learn it. Just not familiar with the toolset that you used so it will take time before I'd feel comfortable altering boards in that tool. I'll get there.

#1566 2 years ago
Quoted from JBBOPT:

1)Why doesn’t the equalizer option work?

No idea, the equalizer is just another software based filter plugin in the alsa sound system, that TILT!Audio uses low level. It requires additional cpu power of course, maybe your pi is not fast enough?

Quoted from JBBOPT:

What is the difference between the with and without software conversion?

Also a term from the alsa subsystem: with software conversion means that if the underlying sound card doesn't not support a certain parameter, the alsa system will convert it via software before sending it to the sound card (e.g. adjusting the sample rate). Without software conversion means bypass all software converters inbetween. Works only if your sound source matches all parameter supported by the sound hardware. see https://www.alsa-project.org/wiki/Asoundrc#Plugins

#1567 2 years ago

I used a pi4 so I thought I should be good

#1568 2 years ago

I have made a lot of different boards in the past and have a couple current projects I'm working but have an older layout tool. I need to upgrade and pick a new board toolset and learn it. Just not familiar with the toolset that you used so it will take time before I'd feel comfortable altering boards in that tool. I'll get there.

so easyEda ist free and works in every browser and the changes you suggested are really not difficult to do. a perfect starting point to get familiar with modern layout tools

#1569 2 years ago
Quoted from JBBOPT:

I used a pi4 so I thought I should be good

what sounds are you using? do you have a url where to download them? you can also contact me via email. email address should be obvious

#1570 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

so easyEda ist free and works in every browser and the changes you suggested are really not difficult to do. a perfect starting point to get familiar with modern layout tools

EasyEDA is indeed super cool.

One question though before I start making mistakes... When editing in EasyEDA, when saving I get the option of saving for "everyone", or just for "me". Just for the sake of clarification, your design should be read only, right ? (in any case I'll only save for me, but just want to make sure a mistake hitting the wrong button will cause a problem)

I also do have two additionnal questions:

- I can't figure how to select the symbol for the OLED display. I can click on all other symbols used (and get their pinout), but whenever I click on the DISPLAY-OLED, well nothing happens, I can't select it. Which means I can't duplicate it (wanted to duplicate to use the same connector and just rotate it - alternatively I could create another symbol with an identical pinout but that would be odd). Am I missing something ? Did you add the vias manually directly in the gerber ?

- I can't figure out where the GND signals in the gerber display has gone. For ex if I move the switch button connector and run DRC check I can see conflict with GND, but where in the world is the GND plane display... Granted it's an EasyEDA feature, I'll dig into the documentation (as it's probably something obvious), just raising it for everyone benefit

Regards

#1571 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

EasyEDA is indeed super cool.
One question though before I start making mistakes... When editing in EasyEDA, when saving I get the option of saving for "everyone", or just for "me". Just for the sake of clarification, your design should be read only, right ? (in any case I'll only save for me, but just want to make sure a mistake hitting the wrong button will cause a problem)
Regards

That is also a question I had in mind. Can we split off a copy, edit it, and then post along with it as an alternate version? Or can we send the updates to Steve for review and approval since Steve did the design?

#1572 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

One question though before I start making mistakes... When editing in EasyEDA, when saving I get the option of saving for "everyone", or just for "me". Just for the sake of clarification, your design should be read only, right ?

You can't of course not just override mine by accident. EasyEDA has a concept of co-worker or project team. As soon as you joined someone's team you are indeed working together on the same stuff.

But for now just create your own flavour and publish it if you like or let me know that I could take over the changes. Also the pinsider BrewNinja that is doing boards for the US is maybe interested in your changes.

#1573 2 years ago

The 10pin isolated resistor arrays seem quite hard to get in the UK.

I see on Slack a link

https://www.reichelt.de/widerstandsnetzwerk-einzelwiderstaende-47-ohm-5wid-10pins-sil-10-5-47-p17594.html

That company ships everywhere apart from the UK

#1574 2 years ago
Quoted from nutty:

The 10pin isolated resistor arrays seem quite hard to get in the UK.

That's true these are no so easy to get, but you can of course replace them with single resistors. I'm open for alternatives as well, if there is enough space you could also combine a 6pin and a 4pin network, these restistors are all parallel

#1575 2 years ago

mouser has this one for example: https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Bourns/4610X-102-470LF and a couple of others

#1576 2 years ago

Thanks steve45

On another note can I suggest a feature in the GUI. The ability to upload a a init.lua file or to edit the file from within the GUI.
I think the less you need to remove the SDcard the better.

#1577 2 years ago

Steve, is the binary for the new 3.5 STM32 "blackpill" module available?

#1578 2 years ago

I did some more testing and the latest V1.34 seems to run ok on a Rpi 3B+ board set to Data East mode. However the audio breaks up when I try it on a 3A+ board. If I go to version 1.32 on the 3A+ then that runs fine too.

Have you tried the latest V1.34 on a 3A+ as part of your testing?

#1579 2 years ago
Quoted from nutty:

The ability to upload a a init.lua file or to edit the file from within the GUI.
I think the less you need to remove the SDcard the better.

You can always use "scp" e.g. winSCP https://winscp.net/eng/download.php. This should enough to solve your problem. I will rather focus on the sound-engine and game compatibility, but not side use cases, when there is a solution available already.

#1580 2 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

Steve, is the binary for the new 3.5 STM32 "blackpill" module available?

It is part of the update package / 1.35 base image. Why do you ask? What you're gonna do with this binary?

#1581 2 years ago

I've been following this thread. I think the idea is super cool. I do think that the info is too spread around, and the German web store does not help.
If this idea truly works, it would benefit from having better documentation and how-tos, and a standardized web site. I had to correlate 3 sources to get an idea of where this project is today. Anyways, my 0.02 dollar. I want one for my Last Action Hero.

#1582 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

It is part of the update package / 1.35 base image. Why do you ask? What you're gonna do with this binary?

I received my 3.0 board about a week before v3.5 was announced. I was going to look through the schematics/board layout to figure out a way to retrofit the new part in. I wasn't sure if was only available pre-flashed. From your description it sounds like it can be programmed in circuit from blank. Is that correct?

#1583 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

mouser has this one for example: https://www.mouser.de/ProductDetail/Bourns/4610X-102-470LF and a couple of others

Farnell nor RS have them for some reason (at least could not find them

I did some more testing and the latest V1.34 seems to run ok on a Rpi 3B+ board set to Data East mode. However the audio breaks up when I try it on a 3A+ board. If I go to version 1.32 on the 3A+ then that runs fine too.
Have you tried the latest V1.34 on a 3A+ as part of your testing?

For what it's worth 3A+ works fine on Wpc89 with 1.35. Not what you asked, I know

#1584 2 years ago
Quoted from RobF:

I received my 3.0 board about a week before v3.5 was announced. I was going to look through the schematics/board layout to figure out a way to retrofit the new part in. I wasn't sure if was only available pre-flashed. From your description it sounds like it can be programmed in circuit from blank. Is that correct?

The pi itself can flash it on the fly. The stm's SWD interface is directly connected to the pi's spi device. This way you can flash and debug the stm

#1585 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

I've been following this thread. I think the idea is super cool. I do think that the info is too spread around, and the German web store does not help.
If this idea truly works, it would benefit from having better documentation and how-tos, and a standardized web site. I had to correlate 3 sources to get an idea of where this project is today. Anyways, my 0.02 dollar. I want one for my Last Action Hero.

Sorry for that. I'm more of a maker and not a writer or marketing guy. But still I try my best to keep documentation up to date. There's a lot of info on the website https://tiltaudio.com also FAQ, quick startup. But it is not always easy to keep up, if you still going to develop the board and the firmware features.

The shop has a language switch, and you can also order the board in the US. BrewNinja is the pinsider to ask. Not sure if he's ready to sell & ship, but he announced to sell kits for the US market.

#1586 2 years ago

New firmware 1.36 was released today. This week DSP option was the focus. There are a few boards out and in customers hands, so some fine tuning was required.
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#1587 2 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

I started a wiki here: https://www.slapsavecreations.com/tiltaudio with some of the important things that I felt were hard to find, in this thread only or on slack and not on Steves site. I can add more if you have suggestions. I would love to add each game that is covered by this and then a settings file/sound pack so its fairly plug and play. I feel like that is the biggest thing missing. Problem is, I dont have all the games to be able to do that If you have a board and can pack up your sounds/settings and send them to me, I can put them out there.

In the past few months Steve has updated his site a lot with some really great info. I just wanted to make it a little easier to find things or make things clearer. If you have any suggestions, PM me and Ill get things added.

As to board availability, I have all the parts for as many boards as people want except the PCM5102 DAC's. I cant for the life of me get them. I am on vendors 6 an 7 right now :/ As soon as I get a vendor to actually send me some instead of a bogus shipping number, Ill have boards ready to go.

#1588 2 years ago

Has anyone connected an Arduino up successfully to Tilt Audio using the Lua commands ?

#1589 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

started a wiki here: https://www.slapsavecreations.com/tiltaudio with some of the important things that I felt were hard to find, in this thread only or on slack and not on Steves site.

Additional help and a bigger community is always welcome. I will reread the wiki also from time to time to help keeping it up to date.

#1590 2 years ago

BrewNinja I can contribute with a HOWTO for combining TiltAudio and SMS (serial media server) so you can use 1 PI to run both audio and video for CFTBL.

#1591 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

New firmware 1.36 was released today. This week DSP option was the focus. There are a few boards out and in customers hands, so some fine tuning was required.
[quoted image]

Is this only available as an update? The link to the latest firmware still points to V1.34

#1592 2 years ago

I must be completely dense, but... looking at the oshwlab version, I see no GND traces/planes anywhere. All GND nets appear as unconnected on the gerber file. Likewise, when viewing the gerber file through an external gerber file viewer (after generation by Easy EDA), I see no connection between the GND nets

Am I missing something ?

On a sidenote, same applies to older revision, like TA 3.0, which is why I'm super puzzled

#1593 2 years ago

@Ashram56, the pours/planes were hidden by EasyEDA when I opened the project but setting “Copper Zone” to visible (in the “Other” panel on the right side) solved that. They were also present in the gerber set that I downloaded and opened with an external viewer. There is no thermal relief for the plane connections which is not going to make soldering so easy. Maybe that’s a limitation of the tool. Not sure since I never used it before.

#1594 2 years ago
Quoted from PinNerd:

Ashram56, the pours/planes were hidden by EasyEDA when I opened the project but setting “Copper Zone” to visible (in the “Other” panel on the right side) solved that. They were also present in the gerber set that I downloaded and opened with an external viewer. There is no thermal relief for the plane connections which is not going to make soldering so easy. Maybe that’s a limitation of the tool. Not sure since I never used it before.

Thanks, now that's better indeed, this was driving me crazy. I had not thought of checking the GND plane visibility itself

Also indeed it's present regardless of the setting in the Gerber, I misinterpreted the viewer data

#1595 2 years ago

I've been looking at the schematics and gerber, trying to implement Robotworkshop suggestions (to at least contribute a little bit)

Unfortunately, it seems that I'm missing something. There is a lot of missing symbols (OLED display for ex, but not only) where the net connects visually on the schematics to a pin, but this pin is not tied to a symbol (so can't be edited, moved, copied).

Also, I can't "import changes" (which is how changes in schematics are reflected into the layout), it's missing a lot of component footprint (about 50), and it can't make the association.

It would seem the schematics and layout are imported from another tool, and this import essentially broke several symbols and component associations.

Am I correct in my assumption ?

If so, this means that practically for anyone to contribute (such as implementing Robotworkshop suggestions), we would first need to find a way to either ensure the import allows for proper component association, or work from the original design files in the original toolchain

If not, well I'm baffled, as I can't see how the layout was generated in the first place with Easy EDA.

#1596 2 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Unfortunately, it seems that I'm missing something. There is a lot of missing symbols (OLED display for ex, but not only) where the net connects visually on the schematics to a pin, but this pin is not tied to a symbol (so can't be edited, moved, copied).

It was indeed imported this time. I used to design in easyEDA directly but not this time, so maybe I need to reimport and see that everything remains as needed to change the board or schematics later on.

#1597 2 years ago

steve45 : I'm having a hard time figuring out the BOM for board 3.5 from here : https://oshwlab.com/steve45/tiltaudio-3-5

For example (but not limited to) R1,R2,R3 have the value "R-EU_0207/10" in the BOM.
As far as I can determine this shows the package size and lead spacing - but not the value for these resistors.
Pressing the "Purchase parts" button leads to LCSC who tries to sell me this part for R1,R2 and R3 : MG610207
This is an automotive wire harness apparently : http://www.eleoceancomponents.com/Product_ct.aspx?id=5300

Looking at the schematics gives no clue either.

It seems the BOM is auto-generated on import and does not show the real component values.

Would it be possible to have a BOM showing the proper values for all components ?

Thanks

#1598 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

steve45 : I'm having a hard time figuring out the BOM for board 3.5 from here : https://oshwlab.com/steve45/tiltaudio-3-5
For example (but not limited to) R1,R2,R3 have the value "R-EU_0207/10" in the BOM.
As far as I can determine this shows the package size and lead spacing - but not the value for these resistors.
Pressing the "Purchase parts" button leads to LCSC who tries to sell me this part for R1,R2 and R3 : MG610207
This is an automotive wire harness apparently : http://www.eleoceancomponents.com/Product_ct.aspx?id=5300
Looking at the schematics gives no clue either.
It seems the BOM is auto-generated on import and does not show the real component values.
Would it be possible to have a BOM showing the proper values for all components ?
Thanks

Sorry for that, no idea how to do that. in an easy way. Didn't you purchase some kits from me in the past? so you should know the R1-R5 are all 10k and R6 is 1k

#1599 2 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

The optional DSP instead of the DAC provides a fully configurable 2.1 output. You can even use Sigma Studio to make your own programs with features like dynamic bass for your system.
https://tiltaudio.com/tag/2-0/

Ok, I have a 3.5 card with 1701 DSP.
I can choose between 2 and 5 - but see no other mention of anything relating to this.
I assume this is because ons has to use 3rd party software to program the DSP ?
Does one need to/can one do any other configuration in TiltAudio itself ?

#1600 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Does one need to/can one do any other configuration in TiltAudio itself ?

TA Itself can configure a predefined subset of filters in the "dsp program". There is a naming convention and a restriction of filter types that can be reconfigured by TILT!Audio directly. This is because TA need to recalculate filter coefficients which is not possible for all filter blocks that Sigma Studio provides

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
€ 24.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
4,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Evansville, IN
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 21.95
€ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball
Boards
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus
Plastics
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 32 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/32?hl=brewninja and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.