rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 41.
#1501 3 years ago

OK, found the adapter on Steve website.

I was also told that Pinsound adapter does work, and since I have a Pinsound in my LOTR I already have the cable.

So next question is: as I intend to replace Pinsound with TiltAudio in my LOTR (primarily because P...d is completely closed and does not allow to hook up on their expansion port, despite the fact it's present, that they are using community orchestration for Shakers - so called shakerization - but obfuscate them and integrate them into their firmware without giving credit to the original authors, etc), I already have the cable so don't need an extra one.

So which kit can I order to get Whitestar support ? I'm assuming WPC ?

#1502 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

So which kit can I order to get Whitestar support ? I'm assuming WPC ?

Nope. Whitestar is basically like data east with a dedicated bus for sounds. This is also what the adapter exposes: a data east like interface

PS: please note: no more paypal for orders from the US please.

#1503 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

PS: please note: no more paypal for orders from the US please.

Hardware only orders? Still going to be ok to use PayPal for licenses as needed?

#1504 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Hardware only orders? Still going to be ok to use PayPal for licenses as needed?

only hardware. for license you can also just text / pm me or use the shop system. by the way: choosing bank transfer in the shop system then using paypal "send money to a friend" will also work.

#1505 3 years ago

Im just waiting on a few things to start selling boards to US people. I have enough for one Williams kit currently with what I had sitting here. If someone is interested, let me know and I can sell that. Hopefully the rest of the stuff will be here soon. I'm having huge issues with sellers claiming they shipped something, then after asking them about it, they claim "it must have been lost, we will resend."

#1506 3 years ago

Did some clear out, so I can offer a Rev 2.6a board completely assembled and tested (WPC only) for 70€ or incl. pi and 16GB sd card with ready to use latest firmware for 100€ plus shipping (12€ via "warenpost" see https://www.deutschepost.de/en/w/warenpost.html or shipping with DHL 37€ to the US).

Even the board is older revision it still is of course compatible with latest TA firmware 1.33 (or upcoming 1.34) and tested.

IMG_20210407_220428_1 (resized).jpgIMG_20210407_220428_1 (resized).jpg

Just text me via pinside mail or email steve ( at ) tiltaudio.com.

#1507 3 years ago
#1508 3 years ago

On the boards V2.5c through V2.5d and V2.6a did the values of R1, R2, and R3 change? On the V2.6a board R1 is 1K and R2/R3 are 10K. Should the earlier boards also have those values? If so it looks like someone messed up the used V2.5c board that I bought and put in the wrong resistors. I can easily swap them out but want to confirm what values are best on that board.

#1509 3 years ago

They did not change. But on the other hand it is not that important what you choose for these resistors. They just mixing and limiting the audio before feed into the amps. I use 10k normally.

#1510 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

They did not change. But on the other hand it is not that important what you choose for these resistors. They just mixing and limiting the audio before feed into the amps. I use 10k normally.

Thank you. Who ever built the one board had installed 1.8K resistors in all spots. I just changed them out so now all the boards are the same.

#1511 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Thank you. Who ever built the one board had installed 1.8K resistors in all spots. I just changed them out so now all the boards are the same.

Are these the 2 boards I sent you ? They were kits I bought.

#1512 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Are these the 2 boards I sent you ? They were kits I bought.

Nope. It was an earlier board that I got from someone else. I noticed those values were different when working on the newer boards.

Used the two boards I got from you and rebuilt one really nice board using the latest matching chips for the I/O. Tests good on the bench and just need to try it in a game.

I've got enough boards now to cover all the machined I'd want to use them in.

#1513 3 years ago

Some maybe have read it already in the TILT!Audio Slack: I proudly announce the new 3.5 revision of the TILT!Audio Board and firmware.
The new hardware is shared on oswwlab: https://oshwlab.com/steve45/tiltaudio-3-5 and everything new and noteworthy is described in the latest blog post: https://tiltaudio.com/2021/04/14/new-revision-3-5/
Most important changes:
- no "sound interface error" for WPC und WPC DCS anymore
- no SMD soldering anymore
- less soldering parts overall.

The game interface (data / command bus) is completely taken over by a stm32f4 microcontroller, all 74xx SMD chip are removed.

The controller also implements the communication protocol back to the game mpu, so that the mpu will recognized a regular sound board.
Additionally the controller takes over the reading of the volume pot in the data east case.

New firmware image is ready and tested and includes also the firmware for the microcontroller including automatic flashing the controller using the pi.

Completely assembled (without the PI) the board looks like this:IMG_20210406_175535x (resized).jpgIMG_20210406_175535x (resized).jpg

Br Steve

#1514 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Some maybe have read it already in the TILT!Audio Slack: I proudly announce the new 3.5 revision of the TILT!Audio Board and firmware.
The new hardware is shared on oswwlab: https://oshwlab.com/steve45/tiltaudio-3-5 and everything new and noteworthy is described in the latest blog post: https://tiltaudio.com/2021/04/14/new-revision-3-5/
Most important changes:
- no "sound interface error" for WPC und WPC DCS anymore
- no SMD soldering anymore
- less soldering parts overall.
The game interface (data / command bus) is completely taken over by a stm32f4 microcontroller, all 74xx SMD chip are removed.
The controller also implements the communication protocol back to the game mpu, so that the mpu will recognized a regular sound board.
Additionally the controller takes over the reading of the volume pot in the data east case.
New firmware image is ready and tested and includes also the firmware for the microcontroller including automatic flashing the controller using the pi.
Completely assembled (without the PI) the board looks like this:[quoted image]
Br Steve

Cool ! Is there a particular version of the microcontroller that is needed ?
STM32F411CE, STM32F401, STM32F411, STM32F4 ... or are they all the same ?

PS. I have 5 x 3.0 boards with SMD assembled for sale now ...

#1515 3 years ago

Nice work,

What's cool with this module approach is that you can use headers instead of soldering directly, which means you can easily replace one module if needs be

#1516 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Cool ! Is there a particular version of the microcontroller that is needed ?
STM32F411CE, STM32F401, STM32F411, STM32F4 ... or are they all the same

the module uses a STM32F411CEU6 that can run at 100MHz it can be purchased as "black pill 2.0"

#1517 3 years ago

In case you US people are looking for kits, I have just listed the 4 kits I have in the pinside shop. I finally got all the stuff to get the 3.0 kits out for Williams (data east would need the ADC, if you want to use in in a DE, let me know and I can include the other connectors at least). I will also take care of soldering on the SMD's for you if you would like me to no charge. Here is the link to them: https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1180-slap-save-creations/05007-tiltaudio-sound-board

I will be ordering the stuff for 3.5 kits (I already have all the components on the way, but I need to order the boards still), but its going to take a few weeks before the boards are ready. Hopefully going forward, Ill have enough stuff on hand to keep a steady supply for everyone who wants them

#1518 3 years ago

Ive noticed in version 1.33 the web gui language selection was introduced, german was default. It possible to change to english but its not saved. Is this something to be changed in future releases?

Great product btw.

#1519 3 years ago
Quoted from Sgrsgr:

Ive noticed in version 1.33 the web gui language selection was introduced, german was default. It possible to change to english but its not saved. Is this something to be changed in future releases?
Great product btw.

first browser language settings are relevant, but I guess you're right if not matched the default is german. that should be changed. also if you switch it should set a cookie, which gives you same language settings next time

#1520 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

first browser language settings are relevant, but I guess you're right if not matched the default is german. that should be changed. also if you switch it should set a cookie, which gives you same language settings next time

Ah that's a cookie on the local machine, that explains why it does not stick for me either. I believe I have a reinforced security setting enabled by default for cookies, will have to check (if I can recall where in the world this is located)

#1521 3 years ago

Heh, I noticed the same thing. Was wondering what was up with that.

#1522 2 years ago

I bought a kit a few months ago almost done finally building it and see that the new revision fixed the sound interface issue on wpc which I really could use since I have a Pin2dmd which doesn’t like credit dot and will mess up the colors. (It looks like the hardware revision is what fixes the sound error)Anyone want to buy a mostly assembled 3.0 in the US so I can buy a 3.5

#1523 2 years ago

I have good news and some bad news. First the good news! I received the 3.5 boards I ordered and put them up in my shop ( https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1180-slap-save-creations/05007-tiltaudio-sound-board ). There are 2 options. One is the regular full kit. This includes everything needed to get going except a pi and SD card. It even includes the OLED display (I feel that really helpful for troubleshooting, so its worth just including it). The second option is an "upgrade" kit. This is for those of you with a 3.0/3.1 board already who want to get a newer board. This basically strips out the expensive things and makes you remove them from your old board.

Now the bad news. The silk layer in the files was wrong and I didn't catch it before I ordered the boards. So some of the writing is missing. Functionally, this makes no difference, but you will definitely need to refer to a diagram for assembly. Ill include one in the kits I sell. Im also in the middle of setting up a wiki with some info in it to supplement the excellent info Steve has on his website, and it will be located there as well.

I also added an option to have me assemble the board for you for an additional fee. All you need to do is pop in a pi with the image on it and away you go!

If anyone has any questions, please let me know. There are pictures of the kits and a general idea of placement of the components on the store page.

#1524 2 years ago

As long as you have clear assembly instructions with pictures then the missing silkscreen items shouldn't be a problem. Silk screen is a really nice to have but not a requirement.

#1525 2 years ago

No pinside announcement so far, but here it is: the new 1.34 firmware is out. New and noteworthy:changes (resized).pngchanges (resized).png

You can get the whole new firmware image as always https://tiltaudio.com/file/firmware-latest and there is also an update package: https://tiltaudio.com/file/update-latest

Update runs on older board revisions as well (fully backwards compatible), but if you want to use a new rev 3.5+ board you need to flash your sd card with the new image!

Br Steve

#1526 2 years ago

Has anyone tried this on a DE Guns N Roses? I assume it would work. I have three Pinsound cards currently but would consider giving this a try. Thanks.

#1527 2 years ago

Just wanted to mention I have added a wiki to my website with some helpful notes to supplement the excellent info that Steve has on his website. Eventually, I would love to get a list of modifications to the sound sets for every game, so that people know what to apply where to make it sound like the original (ideally this would either be for the already available altsound version or a customized one that goes along with it). That way its easier to get up and running with a board. If you have something you would like me to add, please let me know!

https://slapsavecreations.com/tiltaudio

#1528 2 years ago

I think I read somewhere you could change the boot chime with a custom wave-file. Is this doable via the GUI or do you have to do this via ssh to the PI? If so... where in the folder structure is the boot.wav file located?

#1529 2 years ago
Quoted from Sgrsgr:

I think I read somewhere you could change the boot chime with a custom wave-file. Is this doable via the GUI or do you have to do this via ssh to the PI? If so... where in the folder structure is the boot.wav file located?

Just put the SD-card in a USB reader and do a file search for ogg-files perhaps ?
I think that is the format used.
If not, something like "chime" or similar might be found.

#1530 2 years ago

steve45 : Thanks for adding the fadeout setting for stop commands. Could you describe how/what the number does ? Is it seconds ?

A few notes from a user perspective :
- in 1.33, the "latest version" was named "unknown" but when clicked downloaded the 1.34 update
- after updating, I had to change sound card to get sound back
- perhaps the language setting could be stored server side ? I hardly think there are many user cases where more than one user with different language preferences connect to the same TiltAudio card.

#1531 2 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag: - perhaps the language setting could be stored server side ? I hardly think there are many user cases where more than one user with different language preferences connect to the same TiltAudio card.

I agree. I cannot for the life of me get the setting to stick, even on different devices.

#1532 2 years ago
Quoted from Sgrsgr:

think I read somewhere you could change the boot chime with a custom wave-file. Is this doable via the GUI or do you have to do this via ssh to the PI? If so... where in the folder structure is the boot.wav file located?

Custom boot chime is searching for "boot.ogg" in the base sound folder. Normally sd card /data/sound. you can see searching and check also in the startup logfile (beware under linux the folder is "/boot/data/sound" as the windows partition is mounted at /boot.

#1533 2 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

I agree. I cannot for the life of me get the setting to stick, even on different devices.

Will put it on the todo list.

#1534 2 years ago

I have a favor to ask. If you are running a tiltaudio card, can you tell me which soundset you used (a link to it would be icing, but not totally necessary) and what issues you had with sounds? (fixed or unfixed) If you could send me your config file, even better! I would like to compile a settings list for each game in my wiki, so people know how to setup each soundset. You can respond here or PM me. Either way, I really appreciate it. Why should everyone work through the same issues on their own if we can hivemind it and get things fixed is my thought.

To start, Im using the altsound fishtales mix (http://altsound.vpin24.com/). There are quite a few issues with sounds ducking correctly, and with some sounds running too long. Im currently trying to rework the altsound csv as much as possible to fix the issues that can be fixed inside of altsound (so it just "works" for others). Ill also have a link to my config file eventually for the other stuff. Im working on like 30 things right now, so its slow progression.

#1535 2 years ago

Hi. I really love this project.
Just bought and assembled 3.5 but unfortunately, cant make it to work.

To be honest, manuals (assembly and software installation) are very un-clear and are missing many details.

Assembly:
-no clear info about R3 some pictures shows it present, some not

Software:
-it's not clearly explained if altsounds must be left in zip or unzipped and if it makes any difference when ROM version of the machine corresponds with altsound rom number/name
- (ad3) no clear info how and where to place update file. If it should be unzipped and if the folder inside should be left of just files copied to the update folder on RPI
- (ad4) "Open the raspisound.ini file in the data/sound diectory..." - there is no such a file so I guess it needs to be created. Does it need to contain any other info that vendor number?
- (ad5) is speaker's connector modification nescessary if I want to keep it original with mono sound or it wont play at all?

For some reason, Im not getting any sounds
WiFi is very intermittent and disconnects after few seconds.
Its also unclear which audio device needs to be selected for speakers output.

Hopefully, someone can take me through the process.

Many Thanks!

#1536 2 years ago

Hope I can help you out.

Quoted from h4fl4:

Assembly:
-no clear info about R3 some pictures shows it present, some not

Optional. Only required together with DSP.

Quoted from h4fl4:

it's not clearly explained if altsounds must be left in zip or unzipped and if it makes any difference when ROM version of the machine corresponds with altsound rom number/name

Sounds must always be unzipped. each sound pack has its own subdirectory within "sounds". Rom version does not matter, this naming schema is used in vpinmame (VPIN) where the altsound format was "invented", for TILT!Audio it is not relevant.

Quoted from h4fl4:

no clear info how and where to place update file. If it should be unzipped and if the folder inside should be left of just files copied to the update folder on RPI

Zipped in the update folder. Also you can just upload the zip via the web UI. Much easier anyways.

Quoted from h4fl4:

"Open the raspisound.ini file in the data/sound diectory..." - there is no such a file so I guess it needs to be created. Does it need to contain any other info that vendor number?

For rev. 3.5 and newer you need no config by default. Other than that, yes you can create it but again, much easier to config all setting within web UI.

Quoted from h4fl4:

is speaker's connector modification nescessary if I want to keep it original with mono sound or it wont play at all?

Depends on the machine. All wpc mono systems need modification as TILT!Audio is stereo (or to be more precise 2.1).

See also: https://tiltaudio.com/2020/11/11/quick-start/

I promise I will also update the assembly page & FAQ.

#1537 2 years ago

Thanks for really quick reply.

I've managed to sort out most of the things last night.

At the moment it works but only through BT headphones (love it! )

I didn't get any capacitors and coils for the amps section so I guess they are not necessary. Some of the photos shows L1-L6 bridged, so I've done that. R3 removed.

Still no sound through speakers (one currently connected for testing). Also no sound from DAC jack, so my guess is wrong sound device selected (first from the list).

Any idea what can be a problem?

Edit: I've also soldered all of DAC pins. Is that correct or some of them.should be removed?

#1538 2 years ago

Updated the assembly page: https://tiltaudio.com/assembly/ to reflect all changes with the new revision

#1539 2 years ago
Quoted from h4fl4:

I didn't get any capacitors and coils for the amps section so I guess they are not necessary. Some of the photos shows L1-L6 bridged, so I've done that. R3 removed.

Yes that's correct, also mentioned in the updated assembly page.

Quoted from h4fl4:

Edit: I've also soldered all of DAC pins. Is that correct or some of them.should be removed?

Yes correct, there was a problem on very old revisions of boards, but was fixed long time ago.

Quoted from h4fl4:

Still no sound through speakers (one currently connected for testing). Also no sound from DAC jack, so my guess is wrong sound device selected (first from the list).

Sound device controls where to route sound to. BT devices are possible targets, but to get sound to the board amps you need to select dac or equal-dac (latter is with software equalizer in between).

You should hear a "pling" shortly are switching devices as acoustic feedback for successful switching. If there is no sound also on the DAC jack output, it is either sound device problem (selected wrong device as described) or could potentially also a wiring problem from Pi to DAC (the i2s interface wires).

If you get sound on the DAC jack but not an the speakers, it is either soldering problem with amps or pots. Or wiring problem with the speakers (especially for WPC speaker wirding need to be changed).

#1540 2 years ago

By the way speaker wiring for WPC is mentioned here: https://tiltaudio.com/2020/12/10/assembly-of-rev-2-8-3-0/#speaker

#1541 2 years ago

steve45 Do you have to use a Arduino mini pro for the LED mods or can you use a Nano/Uno ?

Or this

https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/leonardo-canbus?utm_source=google&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-LOEBhDCARIsABrC0TnwUY9LZ4hF1eV3OB_nVC6-V0_F17dzseDyog9sWOyDcGowqf7PeiEaAkqFEALw_wcB

Based On a Leonardo which I use for other LED projects

#1542 2 years ago

Thank you Steve. Ill give it another go tonight and let you know.

#1543 2 years ago
Quoted from nutty:

steve45 Do you have to use a Arduino mini pro for the LED mods or can you use a Nano/Uno ?
Or this
https://www.hobbytronics.co.uk/leonardo-canbus?utm_source=google&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=Cj0KCQjw-LOEBhDCARIsABrC0TnwUY9LZ4hF1eV3OB_nVC6-V0_F17dzseDyog9sWOyDcGowqf7PeiEaAkqFEALw_wcB
Based On a Leonardo which I use for other LED projects

No Arduino mini pro is not a must. it is only an example. the Tiltaudio board basically uses the i2c bus to communicate with extensions (also know as 2 wire) so you can use any device or microcontroller that has support for that protocol

#1544 2 years ago

Finally all up and running and it sounds AWESOME!!! Still need to get new speakers for the backbox.

7th sound device from the top works for me at the moment. Ill test the rest later but Im not sure if there is any point.

I've got one, last problem now. For some reason my .key file is not being accepted. I've placed it in the folder. When trying to load it through WebUi it says that the license is not valid.

#1545 2 years ago

steve45 Do I need a LUA licence to test the commands I can`t get your speaker LEDs script to test.

Arduino Script running ok through LED patterns
Arduino Leonardo/Canbus SDA SCL connected to Pi SDA SCL
init.lua script put in \data\audio\getaway\init.lua (with a windows PC using notepad)

The Leonardo/Canbus

SDA - Pin2 - D2
SCL - Pin3 - D3

#1546 2 years ago
Quoted from nutty:

steve45 Do I need a LUA licence to test the commands I can`t get your speaker LEDs script to test.
Arduino Script running ok through LED patterns
Arduino Leonardo/Canbus SDA SCL connected to Pi SDA SCL
init.lua script put in \data\audio\getaway\init.lua (with a windows PC using notepad)
The Leonardo/Canbus
SDA - Pin2 - D2
SCL - Pin3 - D3

yes you need a lua license, all extension control ist basically done through the lua runtime

#1547 2 years ago

Would it be possible to be able to choose different songs to play for the background music when you start a game? IE like say a modern Stern like Metallica where you can choose your song and then plunge.

I'm thinking for Hurricane you could choose the normal music or choose something like a classic carnival music lol I know I could add additional soundpacks with the different background music but it would be nice if each player could choose.

#1548 2 years ago
Quoted from waynestatemac:

Would it be possible to be able to choose different songs to play for the background music when you start a game? IE like say a modern Stern like Metallica where you can choose your song and then plunge.

How would you make a choice before plunging? So far there is no feedback route from e.g. the flipper buttons to the TILT!Audio board. What is integrated since firmware 1.33 is an event service listener (UDP network). So if you manage to create UDP events, you could control sound playback and also choose different tracks

#1549 2 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

How would you make a choice before plunging? So far there is no feedback route from e.g. the flipper buttons to the TILT!Audio board. What is integrated since firmware 1.33 is an event service listener (UDP network). So if you manage to create UDP events, you could control sound playback and also choose different tracks

Yeah I was going to type that in like adding an extra set of leafs to the flipper switches and wiring to go back to the pie somehow. Seemed plausible if the switches were added. I'll have to take a look on how to do that with a udp network.

In my BOP 2.0 they somehow programed into the PROC board the ability to change lanes without the extra leaf. Not sure how they did that though.

#1550 2 years ago
Quoted from waynestatemac:

In my BOP 2.0 they somehow programed into the PROC board the ability to change lanes without the extra leaf. Not sure how they did that though.

The PROC replaces the CPU which controls all peripherals like switches, solenoids, lamps etc. Tiltaudio replaces the soundboard which receives sound commands from the CPU and that´s it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
$ 18.95
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

€ 24.50
Playfield - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 19.00
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

4,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Cleveland, OH
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 259.00
$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Chicago, IL
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 31 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/31?hl=phantasize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.