rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG

There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 41.
#1451 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I am interested in using the 13 Doctors mix and had asked the person who created it if it was ok to use. He is very active on the Dr Who thread on Pinside. Unless there is something I missed as long as I ask the person who did all the work on the original sound set it should be fine.

Is this another mix for Dr Who ? I seem to recall there are some already existing sound package on altsound.

Dr Who is definitely one of those that require an alternate sound pack, the original sound is... well... something.

#1452 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Is this another mix for Dr Who ? I seem to recall there are some already existing sound package on altsound.
Dr Who is definitely one of those that require an alternate sound pack, the original sound is... well... something.

There are a bunch of options for Dr Who. I know of a couple that were already setup as alt sound packs. However there is a new 13 doctors mix that is supposed to be really cool. There are also at least 3 or 4 different other mixes. If the 13 doctors works then I will ask the author of the others if he minds if his sounds are used in this application.

#1453 3 years ago

There are a bunch of options for Dr Who. I know of a couple that were already setup as alt sound packs. However there is a new 13 doctors mix that is supposed to be really cool. There are also at least 3 or 4 different other mixes. If the 13 doctors works then I will ask the author of the others if he minds if his sounds are used in this application.

To be fair, this is a legal grey area , since the original sound pack authors do not own the rights in the first place anyway... So authorization is not theirs to give, unless it's their media (and for that matter, strictly speaking, it's unlikely they have the right either, it's just that everyone is closing their eyes - guess that's why these soundpacks are on a community website... )

#1454 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

To be fair, this is a legal grey area , since the original sound pack authors do not own the rights in the first place anyway... So authorization is not theirs to give, unless it's their media (and for that matter, strictly speaking, it's unlikely they have the right either, it's just that everyone is closing their eyes - guess that's why these soundpacks are on a community website... )

Understand that and the permission refers more to the index and what sounds in the pack are played for what code the MPU in the machine asks for. That is one piece the author of that pack spent quite a bit of time on.

#1455 3 years ago

Understand that and the permission refers more to the index and what sounds in the pack are played for what code the MPU in the machine asks for. That is one piece the author of that pack spent quite a bit of time on.

ah indeed. On a sidenote I had not realized that you could extract that info from the scrambled package, that's good news indeed

#1456 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

ah indeed. On a sidenote I had not realized that you could extract that info from the scrambled package, that's good news indeed

I don't believe there is an easy way to do so or a short cut. You need to play each sound file to hear what it is. On the 13 doctors mix the sounds are named what each one are for. Those are also all WAV files. May need to convert those to ogg files. Then create the altsound csv manually.

I'm not sure what everyone is referring to as scrambled. I thought the audio files were still playable as is. Is the audio itself scrambled? Or is is just the names and the file that explains what sound files are associated with each sound command?

#1457 3 years ago

I don't believe there is an easy way to do so or a short cut. You need to play each sound file to hear what it is. On the 13 doctors mix the sounds are named what each one are for. Those are also all WAV files. May need to convert those to ogg files. Then create the altsound csv manually.
I'm not sure what everyone is referring to as scrambled. I thought the audio files were still playable as is. Is the audio itself scrambled? Or is is just the names and the file that explains what sound files are associated with each sound command?

The sound command number is scrambled in the later pinsound packs.

#1458 3 years ago

The problem I am trying to solve is that there are alternative sound sets made by individual authors who don’t mind if they are used on a sound card like Tilt Audio. All the audio assets are there. However whatever index file exists is in binary and not in a format Tilt Audio understands. That needs to be recreated. Can either make one from scratch leaving all the sounds in their folders or just move them all to a common folder and create a csv file instead. That seemed a better since it seems that would ultimately provide more options for tweaking the way sounds are played. At least in my case it isn’t that I need to use the altsound csv format. It’s that I need to create that index and if I have to go through the effort why not use the format that should be superior.

You are basically saying: I'm looking for a converter from dir sound packs to altsound sound packs. I have a converter for that

#1459 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

You are basically saying: I'm looking for a converter from dir sound packs to altsound sound packs. I have a converter for that

steve45 perhaps you would be willing to share the converter ?

#1460 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Steve45 perhaps you would be willing to share the converter ?

It runs as a docker container. You can pull it from docker hub: sker65/despi:latest then just run:

docker run --rm -it -v <basedir-of-your-soundpack>:/data sker65/despi /bin/sh -c 'cd /data; cp /app/2.key .; /app/despi_srv -T test.csv /data'

Test will be the name of the altsound sound pack that gets created within the original sound pack directory. Docker image is provided without warranty or support.

#1461 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

It runs as a docker container. You can pull it from docker hub: sker65/despi:latest then just run:
docker run --rm -it -v <basedir-of-your-soundpack>:/data sker65/despi /bin/sh -c 'cd /data; cp /app/2.key .; /app/despi_srv -T test.csv /data'
Test will be the name of the altsound sound pack that gets created within the original sound pack directory. Docker image is provided without warranty or support.

Superb

And using Docker on top of it is the ice on the cake, no dependency issue, no messing up existing installation.

Cheers

#1462 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

I ran a test on a soundset and the files were renamed and moved.

But instead of the expected 2- or 4-digit hex prefix, the prefixes in the new altsound soundset were like this :

0xCB955C01
0x40E78802
0x6966C405
0xEE2CC809

..... etc.

Is this correct ?

I have not tried the new soundset yet.

#1463 3 years ago

Good afternoon,

Probably known by many, but I discovered the following repository from Steve:
https://github.com/sker65/tiltaudio-extensions

Basically simple code that allows you to control external HW mods with an arduino for example based on sound commands, using LUA scripts which send commands over I2C, which are then monitored by an Arduino to react upon.

Game driven Pinstadium anyone ?

Now I need to go out and buy a few ledstrips... and a shaker... And create a package based on this to control those toys.

#1464 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

I ran a test on a soundset and the files were renamed and moved.
But instead of the expected 2- or 4-digit hex prefix, the prefixes in the new altsound soundset were like this :
0xCB955C01
0x40E78802
0x6966C405
0xEE2CC809
..... etc.
Is this correct ?
I have not tried the new soundset yet.

The prefixes in the filenames are not important as long as the commands look o.k.

#1465 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

The prefixes in the filenames are not important as long as the commands look o.k.

The same prefixes are also the IDs in the altsound.csv file, i.e. the first column.
I have been assuming that the IDs here correspond to the single byte sound ID sent from the MPU to the sound card.
Maybe I am wrong ?

Screenshot from 2021-03-17 20-31-50 (resized).pngScreenshot from 2021-03-17 20-31-50 (resized).png
#1466 3 years ago

The sound cmds don´t look o.k. I don´t know the tool from Steve. Maybe he can help

#1467 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

The same prefixes are also the IDs in the altsound.csv file, i.e. the first column.
I have been assuming that the IDs here correspond to the single byte sound ID sent from the MPU to the sound card.
Maybe I am wrong ?

This basically means you are converting a scrambled sound pack. That's why you get those IDs. And of course it will not work in the game, as the command IDs from the game are different

#1468 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Basically simple code that allows you to control external HW mods with an arduino for example based on sound commands, using LUA scripts which send commands over I2C, which are then monitored by an Arduino to react upon.

Game driven Pinstadium anyone ?

Now I need to go out and buy a few ledstrips... and a shaker... And create a package based on this to control those toys.

Ever saw my website or youtube channel? there are a couple of blog posts and tutorial videos about this: https://tiltaudio.com/?s=github

#1469 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Ever saw my website or youtube channel? there are a couple of blog posts and tutorial videos about this: https://tiltaudio.com/?s=github

I must admit I have a bad habit. I tend to jump in first before reading the manual... So... I had seen that many months ago, then forgot about it, then thought about this idea, which of course did not trigger any memory because I'm getting old, so started digging into it, and stumbled thanks to google search on your github...

Oh well, at least I did not ask a stupid question on this thread.

It's a pretty cool setup truth be told. And I have yet to play around with the WebUI, seems I can do a lot of things in it without having to go through LUA if I understand correctly.

I'll quickly prototype something using WS2812 ledstrip and an arduino, plenty of potential here (and very little time...)

Cheers

#1470 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

This basically means you are converting a scrambled sound pack. That's why you get those IDs. And of course it will not work in the game, as the command IDs from the game are different

Ok, then I misunderstood what your tool was capable of.

#1471 3 years ago

Just want to announce that I will no longer accept paypal payments from the US. There are folks here on pinside that start filing paypal cases for refund even though there is evidence that I sent out everything, that it arrived in the US, even in the "JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER" but the guy still requests refund from my (at least partly).

Not sure what your opinion is on that, but I'm not a company. I sell kits for more or less purchasing price and ship it also to the US, now I'm being held accountable for the US postal service not being able to deliver?!?!

So either for US no paypal just bank transfer or you provide my a prepaid shipping label of your choice.

Br Steve

#1472 3 years ago

Sorry to hear that. You shouldn’t be on the hook for postal delays as that is out of your hands. Unfortunately there are people that don’t understand that. With COVID there have been delays and people need to be more patient. They also need to factor in where things come from and flow through. An example is parts that were coming out of Texas during their recent power outages.

Glad I got my order in before that. Is the new PayPal block just for kits? Can we still use PayPal if we need to order a license file?

#1473 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Think of it as more an act of goodwill - one is much more likely to get assistance or updates if one does not have a reputation for taking people's hard work for granted.

#1474 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Just want to announce that I will no longer accept paypal payments from the US. There are folks here on pinside that start filing paypal cases for refund even though there is evidence that I sent out everything, that it arrived in the US, even in the "JERSEY CITY NJ NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER" but the guy still requests refund from my (at least partly).
Not sure what your opinion is on that, but I'm not a company. I sell kits for more or less purchasing price and ship it also to the US, now I'm being held accountable for the US postal service not being able to deliver?!?!
So either for US no paypal just bank transfer or you provide my a prepaid shipping label of your choice.
Br Steve

That sucks Steve. Sorry to hear that. Some people seem to expect that "mod makers" in the community act as big companies, and wreck it for everyone else.

#1475 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Br Steve

Dang, that sucks. I hate USPS. I didn't think they could get worse, then COVID hit and bam, they figured out how. I literally had a letter from my mom who lives 2 hours away get "lost" and took 5 weeks to get here. My packages go back and forth to cities not even close, etc. We all have seen it lately Im sure. Anyways, if you are serious about shipping to the US, either use UPS or DHL. They definitely are more expensive, but you know it will arrive. Second thing is paypal sucks. I hate paypal. The dispute process is ridiculous. Basically, the seller never wins, which is just assinine. Buyers know that, so they will file a dispute even if they got something. So bad.

*edit* just thinking, did the person contact USPS and have them follow up on it? They have a phone number you can call to do that, or talk with someone at your local post office. They do actually take that seriously. I didnt get a piece of mail that showed up on my informed delivery and they were all over it pretty quick.

#1476 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Think of it as more an act of goodwill - one is much more likely to get assistance or updates if one does not have a reputation for taking people's hard work for granted.

To clarify, my point was not about not_ asking permission to the sound pack author (out of courtesy as you point out), but on the fact that just because they give their permission does not, strictly speaking, cover the rights to use it, since they don't own the rights in the first place.

#1477 3 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

the person contact USPS and have them follow up on it? They have a phone number you can call to do that, or talk with someone at your local post office. T

he did, he sent a screenshot it is stuck in New Jersey Network Central something. But hey how should I deal with that?

#1478 3 years ago

Can we still use PayPal if we need to order a license file?

of course, yes. maybe I will change shipping to dhl but this would more than double the shipping cost.

from my point of view the easiest solution would be one of you US pinheads would offer kits. I would appreciate that and still sell some licenses.

next rev of pcb will be even easier to assemble and has less parts

#1479 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

of course, yes. maybe I will change shipping to dhl but this would more than double the shipping cost.
from my point of view the easiest solution would be one of you US pinheads would offer kits. I would appreciate that and still sell some licenses.
next rev of pcb will be even easier to assemble and has less parts

Let me drop you a PM. Id be willing to take that on probably, but have a few questions first.

#1480 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

To clarify, my point was not about not_ asking permission to the sound pack author (out of courtesy as you point out), but on the fact that just because they give their permission does not, strictly speaking, cover the rights to use it, since they don't own the rights in the first place.

Definitely true!

#1481 3 years ago

steve45 is there an index that shows which sound sets have been descrambled and for which there exits a config.raspisnd ?

#1482 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

steve45 is there an index that shows which sound sets have been descrambled and for which there exits a config.raspisnd ?

http://altsound.vpin24.com/

Regards

#1483 3 years ago

Thanks, @Ashram56, but that was not my question

#1484 3 years ago

From the changelog :

builtin descrambling support for most sounds

#1485 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

From the changelog :
builtin descrambling support for most sounds

I think to avoid conflicts, the descrambling support has not been continued.

#1486 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

No there is no such index, and there will be none. You are basically asking something that relates to some "source of content" that I cannot provide. TILT!Audio works best with altsound. Altsound is the primary supported sound format going forward. For everything else just reach out to me.

#1487 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

No there is no such index, and there will be none. You are basically asking something that relates to some "source of content" that I cannot provide. TILT!Audio works best with altsound. Altsound is the primary supported sound format going forward. For everything else just reach out to me.

Ok, understandable, thanks.

#1488 3 years ago

The V-Pin community is very productive in creating new Altsound soundsets. I´m pretty sure there will be one for you soon.
Btw, here is another source for altsound packages.
https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/categories/altsound/

What are you looking for specifically ?

#1489 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

The V-Pin community is very productive in creating new Altsound soundsets. I´m pretty sure there will be one for you soon.
Btw, here is another source for altsound packages.
https://vpinball.com/VPBdownloads/categories/altsound/
What are you looking for specifically ?

I'm not looking for anything particular, I am more interested in exploring the possibilities and understanding a bit of what goes on in a semi-technical way if that makes sense.

#1490 3 years ago

PayPal dispute with one pinsider:

As some of you already expected, paypal decided against me as the seller even thought there was proof for a shipping label, posting receipt, tracking info with records "leaving germany, arrived in the US, arrived in new jersey". To me it is really unclear what paypal expects the seller to do in addition? I did contradict, we will see if it changes something. But in general I still will no longer deliver kits to the US with paypal. (maybe other countries as well).

Br Steve

#1491 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

PayPal dispute with one pinsider:
As some of you already expected, paypal decided against me as the seller even thought there was proof for a shipping label, posting receipt, tracking info with records "leaving germany, arrived in the US, arrived in new jersey". To me it is really unclear what paypal expects the seller to do in addition? I did contradict, we will see if it changes something. But in general I still will no longer deliver kits to the US with paypal. (maybe other countries as well).
Br Steve

That really sucks! Are you tracking it? If it shows delivered I would take that up with PayPal for sure and talk to whatever pinsider did this. Not cool if there is already a delivery in progress. If PayPal closes it and the kit is delivered then perhaps they will go ahead and send you the funds to cover it. Or at least have the courtesy of them contacting PayPal to sort it out.

I read in another group that someone did the same thing over a $15 mouse pad because of shipping delays. He stopped PayPal too. Screws it up for everyone else. There are legitimate reasons for claims but with everything going on slow shipping shouldn't be one of them.

#1492 3 years ago

For US pinsiders, I plan on taking up selling kits in the US. I had ordered enough stuff for a few boards for myself about a month ago and those should be arriving shortly (I had planned on keeping them all for myself, but Ill sell 4 of the 5 to help people out). I plan on ordering a bunch of stuff to do a lot more kits, but shipping times for anything electronics is insane. My order from Digi-key has taken 3 weeks and everything was in stock. So Ill be slow to get started, but once I get a big order of components, should be ready to rock. Im guessing it will probably be the end of April or so by the time stuff gets here and I can keep anything going with regularity.

#1493 3 years ago

steve45 FYI the latest kit I ordered from you just arrived today and all is good. Once I get it together will be ordering a Williams license to try this on Dr Who.

#1494 3 years ago

On the latest v3.1 board does the pin still have to be removed from the small module at U5? On earlier boards like v2.5 the pin 3 fir XSMT needed to be pulled. That piece is the last one I need to install and wanted to see if that was still needed or leave all in place.

#1495 3 years ago

On the latest v3.1 board does the pin still have to be removed from the small module at U5? On earlier boards like v2.5 the pin 3 fir XSMT needed to be pulled. That piece is the last one I need to install and wanted to see if that was still needed or leave all in place.

There is a 3.1 board ?

#1496 3 years ago

That is what is printed on the silkscreen. Just got it together except for the last module since I wasn’t sure if all pins should be installed or not.

#1497 3 years ago

That is what is printed on the silkscreen. Just got it together except for the last module since I wasn’t sure if all pins should be installed or not.

Wonder what's new

#1498 3 years ago

On earlier boards like v2.5 the pin 3 fir XSMT needed to be pulled.

no, not necessary. is not connected anyway

#1499 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

There is a 3.1 board?

yes it has a combined connector for different oled types because suppliers always deliver different pinouts. 3.1 works with both. you need to use upper or lower connector depending on and being the left most pin or 2nd pin

#1500 3 years ago

Has anyone developed a small PCB board for Arduino to interface on the Tiltaudio expansion port and drive different toys (shaker, leds, etc)?

I know it's super easy to do on a breadboard, but I thought it would be nice to have something clean.

If no one did it I'll quickly whip up something

And on that note, I understand that for Stern Whitestar you need an adapter PCB/cable. Anyone would have a pointer to this adapter?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
Cabinet - Decals
arcade-cabinets.com
Decals
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 30 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/30 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.