rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 41.
#1301 3 years ago
Quoted from ViperJelly:

Mine is in the states somewhere. Shipped 2 months ago. Gotta love usps.

Mine took 4 months to get here. Covid got all mail at a snails pace

#1302 3 years ago

I noticed there is a write up on how to test the tilt audio in WPC mode here:

https://tiltaudio.com/2020/11/13/test-a-tiltaudio-board/

Is there a similar version for testing the Tilt audio board in Data East mode?

#1303 3 years ago

Waiting for steve45 to have the time to chime in here, but maybe someone has experienced this problem and found a solution ?
Right now I have muted (or set gain to 1) for sound #186 and noticed that apparently other sounds are missing or erratic.

When I have a ball waiting in the shooter lane on my HS2 I only hear occasional motor sounds.
Music plays and repeats.
When the motor sound cuts out, sound #186 is played instead.

The weird thing is that this a constant error/problem.
It doesn't vary - maybe one out of 100 times another sound than #186 is triggered.

I have reflowed the board several times, tried different Pis etc. etc.
I have 74LVC* SMD chips presoldered on the board.

Has anyone experienced this - and found a solution ?
Is it all coming back to the SMD chips again ?

#1304 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Waiting for steve45 to have the time to chime in here, but maybe someone has experienced this problem and found a solution ?
Right now I have muted (or set gain to 1) for sound #186 and noticed that apparently other sounds are missing or erratic.
When I have a ball waiting in the shooter lane on my HS2 I only hear occasional motor sounds.
Music plays and repeats.
When the motor sound cuts out, sound #186 is played instead.
The weird thing is that this a constant error/problem.
It doesn't vary - maybe one out of 100 times another sound than #186 is triggered.
I have reflowed the board several times, tried different Pis etc. etc.
I have 74LVC* SMD chips presoldered on the board.
Has anyone experienced this - and found a solution ?
Is it all coming back to the SMD chips again ?

I had this exact issue on my Getaway with version 2.6f, this version PCB had missing GND to the ICs which I fixed but the issue remained so it made no difference if the SMD ICs worked or not !! steve45 has one fully working on his Getaway for years so it must work so there must be some difference between his Getaway and others ..... unfortunately after about 6 Months I gave up in the end and bought a Pinsound but I like the fact it can drive LEDs so I try to keep interest in the project.

#1305 3 years ago

Which ROM version do you have installed on your HS2 ?

#1306 3 years ago

lucky1 it's the latest, L5.

#1307 3 years ago

Mine is the L5 as well, Patched for non flickering LEDs.

#1308 3 years ago

nutty yep, tried both patched/unpatched, no difference unfortunately.

#1309 3 years ago

I also run L5 no ghosting ROM. Do you have a plasma display installed ? If yes could you please test with the power of the plasma unplugged if the false triggers still happen ? I´m just looking for a difference. Steve and I have a PIN2DMD installed.

#1310 3 years ago

lucky1 I understand, and this is the situation :

- I have 3 cards (actually 5, just 3 finished) - all version 3.0 from JLPCB with the 3 SMD chips presoldered (2 cards with 74LVC* and one where I have tried to replace the 74LVC00 and 74LVC138 with the LCX versions)
- I have 3 Raspberry Pi 3B+
- I use firmware 1.32
- I use the altsound sound sets

This is what I have done :

- I have tested all 3 cards in 3 machines : IJ, HS2 and TAF (I only used one brand new Pi3B+ for this)
- I have Pin2Dmd in all 3 machines
- I have tried disconnecting both power and ribbon cables from Pin2Dmd in HS2
- I have tried disconnecting the Fliptronic card from the ribbon cable
- I have tried a separate 12V PSU to drive the Tilt card
- I have checked with a multimeter that the connections from the ribbon plug to the resistors/resistor networks/SMD chips are ok
- I have tried to tie an extra ground cable from chassis to ground on the sound card
- I have reflowed the solder points from WPC connector inwards several times
- I have tried firmware 1.30
- I have tried patched antighosting and plain L5 ROM in HS2

The results are the same for all 3 cards.
On HS2 and TAF, sound #186 will be played almost every time a SFX is played.
About 1 in 100 times another wrong SFX will be played.
On TAF, I noticed the sound when pressing the flipper buttons in attract mode was wrong - #186 was played again.
On IJ, wrong music and wrong/missing samples are played - for example no plane sound when going over left ramp, "choose wisely" music playing during normal game, game music stopping early leaving silence with only sound FX.
On HS2 I noticed the supercharger sound effect doesn't stop when the ball leaves, it continues to play until the sound file ends.

All machines are running the latest ROMs from IPDB.
TAF and IJ have been running fine with original sound cards for months.

In HS2 I noticed that when entering the test menu, the "ding" sound is played for each button press as it should - but on top of this, sound #186 is played as well.
In sound test on HS2, all music and sounds are played correctly - but at the start of each sound/music part, sound #186 is also played.

In attract mode on HS2 (which should be quiet) I have #186 but also other sounds playing sporadically.

The "please register" message plays 3 times in succession with a short delay between each time.
This happens every ?? minutes, don't know if this is normal.

I have done the same tests with Pis that are registered, same result.

There might be other errors (music stopping early etc.), but I haven't had time to log this accurately.

I have sent log files of all this to Steve.

I have now ordered from LSC the exact same SMD chips as Steve delivers with his kits.
But looking at the data sheets I can't see what the difference would be between them and the ones I got from JLPBC.
The ones I have from JLPCB are :
74LVC574AD
74LVC00A
74LVC138A0 (may be AD instead of A0)

#1311 3 years ago

Good morning/evening gentlemen,

I have a CFTBL, a PIN2DMD (replacing the original Plasma), and a v3.0 board (assembled by me, but components provided by Steve).

As it turns out, I stated above that I experienced glitches (music not playing sometimes, wrong callout being used, etc), which disappeared after I did a resolder. I assumed that I had a trace connection problem somewhere, story closed.

However the issue reappeared. Relatively often.

Now an earlier comment from Steve stated that clock speed was likely not an issue, as bus interface was relatively low compared to acquisition speed of the RPI.

In the case of bus acquisition, all data provided by a few users on this thread indicate there is a reasonably wide variety of HW configurations (different boards, different RPI, different pinball machines), and all exhibit failures in some form. True, we don't know whether this is widespread to other users, but if I take a look at what I experienced, I would probably not have raised the issue since it was random, unless I had been reading this thread.

All these failures lead to data acquisition failure, which could be caused by:
- Signal integrity (only way to know for sure is to hook up an oscilloscope at the input of the buffers - did not check what was used), not really practical for most people, and given the design very unlikely (there is no Y connection, it's a straight end to end with impedance matching from what I could see), unless there's noise on the power supply lines (which would be again unlikely since power for Tiltaudio is provided directly through a rectifier bridge taken from 20VAC, and it has it's own power rails)
- the RPI missing it's time slice for acquisition, or data input is garbled

Disclaimer: what follows is pure speculation on my side, however it is based on professional experience on the usage of SoC type devices for similar type of application (ie time sensitive).

I have a strong suspicion this is related to the notion of "Real Time OS", as in "Hard real time". This is not about speed (well sort of), it's about scheduling. With an RT-OS, scheduling can be set in such a way that no matter what, a specific thread/process will have it's allocated timeslot, whatever the timeslot is (within reason of course). Linux is not an RT OS, so even if you set priority of a specific thread to high, there is a chance that another thread will stall the scheduling, thus creating the critical thread to miss it's timeslot.

Also, if you have multiple inputs and read them into independent threads, there are chances that the aggregation of these inputs could be offset (so for example in the case of GPIO reading, you read GPIO1, then GPIO2, etc, then combine them into a single byte, but the timeslot of GPIO2 might be offset relative to GPIO1, resulting into a byte failure).

More information here:
https://www.guru99.com/real-time-operating-system.html

A real RT-OS is pretty hard to deal with for complex tasks, so the Linux kernel group has developed a set of "semi RT" patches, known as "preempt RT patches", which essentially are scheduler patches to provide some real time capabilities, within limits.

Details here:
https://rt.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/CONFIG_PREEMPT_RT_Patch

and a link to a RPI Preempt RT patch documentation (rather old though):
https://lemariva.com/blog/2018/02/raspberry-pi-rt-preempt-tutorial-for-kernel-4-14-y

I don't know if the base BSP (OS) used by Steve for TiltAudio has those patches installed, but if it does not, adding these patches to the kernel could potentially increase reliability of the bus acquisition. It would require however some engineering investment, since you would need to recompile the kernel with the patches (should be straightforward), and probably implement change in the thread management of the application to define those that are critical to those that are not (probably less straightforward - although I can't comment, while I know the principle of operation I'm not a SW developer).

But IMO it's worth a shot.

I've had similar issues on ARM57/ARM53 type SoC, which when used in time critical environnement failed precisely because of that reason. In my case, as the constraints were severe (aero), they had to go the "hard" way by using a specific Linux BSP completely designed for Real time (for those interested, called Redhawk from Concurrent Technologies)

Note: increasing clock speed and CPU efficiency reduces the likelihood of this type of occurence, simply because everything runs faster so the chances of a thread blocking another thread to execute are smaller, however from the architecture standpoint it is not guaranteed. So replacing with a RPI4 might help in this case (coincidentally, this is also recommended by Steve for Bluetooth operation anyway)

Another alternative would be to look at CPU affinity, essentially locking all non critical processes to "general" cores, and lock the acquisition threads (or any time critical process) to the last available core, dedicated sorely for that purpose. This will however not necessarily improve if the thread stalling is happening because of internal bus contention within the SoC (in which case even if you have a CPU core completely available, if the GPIO block is used by another thread on another core, it could block access), but it's also worth a shot

So a path of investigations would be:
- Use a RPI4 just to decrease contention ratio: easily achievable by every user, at least for testing
- Implement CPU affinity (some details here: https://www.xmodulo.com/run-program-process-specific-cpu-cores-linux.html ). Probably need a little bit of guidance from Steve to identify the processes that we would want to pin to a specific CPU (and use all others for the other processes).

Some details here: https://www.xmodulo.com/run-program-process-specific-cpu-cores-linux.html

- Implement Preempt RT patches if they are not already enabled, and if they are check how the SW is defining priority for the data acquisition thread. Significant investment on Steve side, so to use only as a last resort (and assuming this issue is more widespread than originally thought)

Apologies if what I'm writing above has already been considered and implemented, in which case this idea is completely moot.

On my side anyway I wanted to upgrade to a RPI4, at least for Bluetooth range, so I'll test it anyway (when I receive my RPI4)

Regards

#1312 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

On IJ, wrong music and wrong/missing samples are played - for example no plane sound when going over left ramp, "choose wisely" music playing during normal game, game music stopping early leaving silence with only sound FX.
On HS2 I noticed the supercharger sound effect doesn't stop when the ball leaves, it continues to play until the sound file ends.

I would say these are simply wrong settings in the soundset.
Even if it called original soundset, the categories of the different sounds have been assigned manually and therefore there is a good chance that someone chose the wrong category.

#1313 3 years ago

lucky1 Ok, these are straight, unaltered, directly downloaded from http://altsound.vpin24.com/ and directly extracted to the SD card which is freshly formatted/installed from the 1.32 firmware archive downloaded from TiltAudio.
I have not changed anything along the way - this is a pure stock installation.
I would be surprised if the altsound package was wrong and no one had noticed this before ?
Would anyone using TiltAudio and altsound package on IJ be able to comment on this ?

#1314 3 years ago

lucky1 I can of course test in all games if you or Steve have working soundsets you can send me if you believe that is the issue.

I am willing to do a lot of testing to get these 5 boards going so the money I have invested doesn't all go to waste, so let me know what I can do/help with.
I am fairly comfortable on Linux and very used to using the command line, doing basic compiling, testing different configurations and doing software debugging.

#1315 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

lucky1 Ok, these are straight, unaltered, directly downloaded from http://altsound.vpin24.com/ and directly extracted to the SD card which is freshly formatted/installed from the 1.32 firmware archive downloaded from TiltAudio.
I would be surprised if the altsound package was wrong and no one had noticed this before ?
Would anyone using TiltAudio and altsound package on IJ be able to comment on this ?

I asked steve45 once to buy an SD card all setup for the Getaway cloned from his but he said it would make no difference so rejected the idea, I of course just wanted it working. To me random sounds playing is an input signal error to the Pi. It all worked correctly in the software until the pinball BUS was in control. Surely if it was the wrong soundset you would get sounds in the correct place but possible the wrong sound being played not random playing of sounds when the pi felt like it.

#1316 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

I tested on my virtual pinball the Indiana Jones altsound package, and I did not experience issues with missing music and odd sounds.

As for the plane sound (left ramp) , for me I can only get the machine gun sound to play, regardless of the package (pinsound or altsound), except the first shot in the ramp where I hear the plane engine roar. But this happens with the stock sound rom as well, so not sure if there's an issue or if it's expected behavior.

#1317 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I tested on my virtual pinball the Indiana Jones altsound package, and I did not experience issues with missing music and odd sounds.
As for the plane sound (left ramp) , for me I can only get the machine gun sound to play, regardless of the package (pinsound or altsound), except the first shot in the ramp where I hear the plane engine roar. But this happens with the stock sound rom as well, so not sure if there's an issue or if it's expected behavior.

Ashram56 Good to hear that the (to me strange) missing single sound may be normal.
My effort was to describe all issues as I experienced them - I believe that if the issue of sound #186 playing on both HS2 and TAF across 3 different Tilt cards is solved, the IJ sound package will fall into place as well.
I don't think that doing an exact comparision between stock altsound packages and stock IJ sound card is the way to go here, but if that is what is needed I will of course do that.

#1318 3 years ago

Did you doublecheck the orientation (dot) of the resistor arrays ?

#1319 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Did you doublecheck the orientation (dot) of the resistor arrays ?

Yes, I have double checked the 4k7 arrays - dots are oriented right way as indicated here : https://tiltaudio.com/2020/12/10/assembly-of-rev-2-8-3-0/

SMDs are pre-soldered by JLPCB and look to be right as far as I can see.
I used single 47 ohm resistors for the bus.
Capacitors are 100nF - on one board I have used the ones I had from 2.6d kit, on another board I have used new ones.

I also measured resistance from WPC contact -> other side of 47 ohm resistors and from 47 ohm resistors to +5V rail.
All values are as expected, no breaks.

#1320 3 years ago

I double checked the voltages from each regulator under load as well, all is as it should be.
Sound is playing fine, so I assume sound card and power amps are all ok.
1000uf are all 3 correctly orientated.

#1321 3 years ago

Very strange ! I tested a V3.0 board in my getaway today and did not have the problem with sound #186.
What I could reproduce is the issue with the supercharger sound not stopping and background music did also not stop at the end of the game,
but that is issue caused by the soundset and not the hardware.

#1322 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Very strange ! I tested a V3.0 board in my getaway today and did not have the problem with sound #186.
What I could reproduce is the issue with the supercharger sound not stopping and background music did also not stop at the end of the game,
but that is issue caused by the soundset and not the hardware.

Strange indeed, but good to know what is and what isn't normal.
I will hopefully try one of the boards in a friend's HS2 this week.
LSC will probably ship the new SMD chips tomorrow, so I hope to have them here in a couple of weeks.

#1323 3 years ago

I just ordered one of the latest V3.0 kits so I can try that in my Doctor Who.

#1324 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I noticed there is a write up on how to test the tilt audio in WPC mode here:

https://tiltaudio.com/2020/11/13/test-a-tiltaudio-board/

Is there a similar version for testing the Tilt audio board in Data East mode?

You could build one just like the wpc based test works, but I myself never did it as data east is much easier. data east has a dedicated bus just for sound commands with 8 data bits and one strobe wire. so you could think of building this type of tester also based on arduino very easily.

#1325 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

I just ordered one of the latest V3.0 kits so I can try that in my Doctor Who.

Did a test already with board rev 2.8 in DrWho see here

. Rev 2.8 really only has minor difference to 3.0 especially not in the bus interface.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#1326 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

I have a strong suspicion this is related to the notion of "Real Time OS", as in "Hard real time". This is not about speed (well sort of), it's about scheduling. With an RT-OS, scheduling can be set in such a way that no matter what, a specific thread/process will have it's allocated timeslot, whatever the timeslot is (within reason of course). Linux is not an RT OS, so even if you set priority of a specific thread to high, there is a chance that another thread will stall the scheduling, thus creating the critical thread to miss it's timeslot.

This type of glitch would explain that the pi maybe is missing some (or one) command byte, but no reason why to grab one (186) that doesn't come from the game. Also the fastest sequence in WPC (DCS) games for multi byte commands is 1ms between 2 bytes, which - in my expirence - are always captured fast enough.

There are options to improve the timing on the pi side. As mentioned the RT patches, that are not applied so far. The base image is a dietpi 6.34.3 but everybody with some linux experience Ashram56 feel free to add those patches to the base image. I can easily provide a HOWTO on what to install in addition to make TILT!Audio run.

Another possibility would be a kernel driver that is reading the GPIO and pushing input into a fifo of a few bytes, so one can be sure that nothing gets lost. But again this still would not prevent from "ghost commands" like 186. I will also do some test in my HS2 with then latest hardware / software as soon as I find the time. Let's see what I can learn from this experiment.

#1327 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

- Implement CPU affinity (some details here: https://www.xmodulo.com/run-program-process-specific-cpu-cores-linux.html ). Probably need a little bit of guidance from Steve to identify the processes that we would want to pin to a specific CPU (and use all others for the other processes).

The TILT!Audio firmware consists of one process but up to 6 threads, the thread reading from the GPIO interface is named based on the used protocol ("isr wpc", "isr de" or "isr ws"). You can also always spot the thread name in the logfiles:

2021-02-14 16:17:22.960 DEBUG isr wpc [wdenInterrupt] [pincom.c:346] wpc cmd 00000 191 0xbf 10111111 len: 1
2021-02-14 16:17:22.960 DEBUG isr wpc [soundWpcHandler] [sdl_sound.c:1894] wpcSoundHandler cmd: 0xbf 0x00 0x00 0x00, id: 191
2021-02-14 16:17:22.960 DEBUG SndServi [getVolumeForSample] [sdl_sound.c:1035] getVolumeForSample: sample->gain: 50, gainByType: 50, res: 8
2021-02-14 16:17:22.960 DEBUG SndServi [playSample] [sdl_sound.c:1585] playing sample 191:0 vol: 50->8 'sfx' 'blast_knock' on channel 1

in this example for a wpc game the "isr wpc" thread is reading in a function called "wdenInterrupt" in module pincom.c a byte from the GPIO, then calling the "wpcSoundHandler" in module "sdl_sound.c" with puts the request in a queue.
After that the "SndService" thread takes over and processes the sound command and finally starts playing the requested sound. From the logfiles perspective all in the same millisecond.

Maybe this is some useful information the try that cpu pinning for a certain process. in this example most likely the "isr wpc" process / thread.

#1328 3 years ago

Thanks for these useful feedbacks. You are right, timing issues should not cause a ghost command like x186 sound being played (what would 186 correspond to in terms of bus data anyway ?)

With regards to RTPatch, I'll take a look. As mentioned I'm not a SW developer so my programming skills are rusty beyond any measure, but I did compile Linux kernel to add some modules in the past, so hopefully I can make that work

Regards

#1329 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

The TILT!Audio firmware consists of one process but up to 6 threads, the thread reading from the GPIO interface is named based on the used protocol ("isr wpc", "isr de" or "isr ws"). You can also always spot the thread name in the logfiles:

2021-02-14 16:17:22.960 DEBUG isr wpc [wdenInterrupt] [pincom.c:346] wpc cmd 00000 191 0xbf 10111111 len: 1
2021-02-14 16:17:22.960 DEBUG isr wpc [soundWpcHandler] [sdl_sound.c:1894] wpcSoundHandler cmd: 0xbf 0x00 0x00 0x00, id: 191
2021-02-14 16:17:22.960 DEBUG SndServi [getVolumeForSample] [sdl_sound.c:1035] getVolumeForSample: sample->gain: 50, gainByType: 50, res: 8
2021-02-14 16:17:22.960 DEBUG SndServi [playSample] [sdl_sound.c:1585] playing sample 191:0 vol: 50->8 'sfx' 'blast_knock' on channel 1

in this example for a wpc game the "isr wpc" thread is reading in a function called "wdenInterrupt" in module pincom.c a byte from the GPIO, then calling the "wpcSoundHandler" in module "sdl_sound.c" with puts the request in a queue.
After that the "SndService" thread takes over and processes the sound command and finally starts playing the requested sound. From the logfiles perspective all in the same millisecond.
Maybe this is some useful information the try that cpu pinning for a certain process. in this example most likely the "isr wpc" process / thread.

steve45 Is WDEN polled or is it an interrupt ?
If WDEN "hangs", could it cause a double interrupt or be double polled so the isr_wpc thread reads another (faulty) command ?

#1330 3 years ago

@steve45, Dietpi at first launch allows you to specify a lot of options for your installation, I started with the minimal image. Did you add any specific components that would have a kernel impact (I've seen in the log file that there is a script overwriting the first kernel used to boot, so I assume they adapt the kernel based on installation)

uname -r results into 5.4.83-v7+

[EDIT] Unfortunately, the last maintained branch for RT patches on a RPI kernel is 4.19. Adding the RT patches to a more recent branch is doable, but if not maintained by the RPI community is probably not a good approach.

Since kernel transition from 4.x to 5.x took place in August 2020, would it be fine to start from an earlier DietPi build, and if so which one is a good starting point ?

[EDIT2] indeed the preempt RT patches do not seem to work on kernel 5.x and RPI3 (it does on RPI4, but only 64b kernel has been tested), and it has not been a focus of the kernel dev, so I don't expect it will be resolved

#1331 3 years ago

I've build an rt-kernel 4.19 and successfully booted pi3 with latest image. You can download it here: https://tiltaudio.com/file/rt-kernel.

The tgz archive can be installed onto a regular image and you get a "Linux TiltAudio 4.14.91-rt49-v7+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Tue Feb 16 14:45:38 CET 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux" and also TILT!Audio starts.

The tgz overrides all bcm* driver files in the root of the boot partition and also the overlay directory. I've not tested if the new (old) overlays also works with the new 5.x kernel (I assume not, so either create a backup or just reinstall the whole image).

To active the RT kernel you need to add the line kernel=kernel7-rt.img in config.txt on the boot partition (windows partition). The kernel was compiled for Pi3 and is only for testing. I will not support using this kernel together with TILT!Audio, just want to support further testing.

#1332 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

Is WDEN polled or is it an interrupt ?

Not sure how to answer that exactly. Basically TILT!Audio uses wiringPi under the hood, so if you want to know about the exact details, see documentation (or source code) of wiringPi. It is basically not a real interrupt because this is simply not possible in user space. There is a mechanism where a GPIO pin is exposed as a file under /sys/class/gpio then a user space program can wait on a positive edge using select system call or poll system call.
Poll system call is not polling, the name is misleading.

Again: if you like to understand the details, go ahead and read the docs. In the early day I also tried pigpio (another library for GPIO), but it turned out it leads to exact the same performance.

isr service function is always triggered on edges (rising or falling) not state. Based on state you would never be able to read the correct command bytes because it would mean you need to "sample" the state with 2x the max frequency the gpio can change. I guess thats not possible with the pi running linux.

#1333 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

(what would 186 correspond to in terms of bus data anyway ?)

You could derive that on your own: it basically means that the address decoder listening to the games bus "sees" a address 0x1C (5 Address Bits on WPC data bus) low on R/W and a rising edge on WDEN. You can see all this in my blog post / picture of logic analyser here: https://pinball-mods.de/wp-content/uploads/sound-cmd-wpc1.png and here https://pinball-mods.de/2017/11/27/tiltaudio-also-for-wpc/

The article also contains the snippet of the original schematic of the wpc sound interface, you can compare that one with the TILT!Audio one if you like. They are very similiar, nothing special here. TILT!Audio schematic are online here https://oshwlab.com/steve45/tiltaudio.

The ghost command 186 or 0xBA or 1011 1010 on the databus does not look any special to me.

#1334 3 years ago

Forgot to mention Zigzagzag : you can of course send me over one of these suspicious boards (maybe together with the pi) and I will take a look and test. But could take a while to get it back because as always, my time is limited

#1335 3 years ago

steve45 Thanks, I might take you up on the offer. Today I will test one of the cards in a friend's HS2. The exact same SMD chips you use are on their way, I will try to exchange these on one of the boards. If neither of these pan out, I will contact you.

#1336 3 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

I've build an rt-kernel 4.19 and successfully booted pi3 with latest image. You can download it here: https://tiltaudio.com/file/rt-kernel.
The tgz archive can be installed onto a regular image and you get a "Linux TiltAudio 4.14.91-rt49-v7+ #1 SMP PREEMPT RT Tue Feb 16 14:45:38 CET 2021 armv7l GNU/Linux" and also TILT!Audio starts.
The tgz overrides all bcm* driver files in the root of the boot partition and also the overlay directory. I've not tested if the new (old) overlays also works with the new 5.x kernel (I assume not, so either create a backup or just reinstall the whole image).
To active the RT kernel you need to add the line kernel=kernel7-rt.img in config.txt on the boot partition (windows partition). The kernel was compiled for Pi3 and is only for testing. I will not support using this kernel together with TILT!Audio, just want to support further testing.

Thanks, I'll run a test on my CFTBL (once it's back up and running) to compare the logs

#1337 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Thanks, I'll run a test on my CFTBL (once it's back up and running) to compare the logs

Ashram56 i this something I should try too ?

#1338 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

ashram56 i this something I should try too ?

Absolutely. My CFTBL sometimes exhibit the behaviour, but sometimes works very well, while on yours the failure is consistent. So if you can try it that would give a data point

[EDIT] As of course, now that I want to run a test, it's working flawlessly... So I can't really compare behaviour.
[EDIT2] There is an interesting read on WiringPi, priority and interrupt management : http://wiringpi.com/reference/priority-interrupts-and-threads/

#1339 3 years ago

steve45 Ok, I tested card #1 in my friend's HS2, and it behaves exactly the same as in mine.
So I guess that rules out any possible problems with the machines.

I will try the RT kernel next.

#1340 3 years ago

Ashram56 steve45 RT kernel made no difference.

#1341 3 years ago
Quoted from Zigzagzag:

@asharam56 steve45 RT kernel made no difference.

Crap, that was a good hypothesis, but unfortunately proved wrong.

#1342 3 years ago
Quoted from Ashram56:

Crap, that was a good hypothesis, but unfortunately proved wrong.

Yep, unfortunately - it would have been nice if it was a software fix.
Now it seems to boil down to the SMD chips again - unless my soldering skills are so bad that I messed up 3 boards the same way

#1343 3 years ago

Hi, I just made my first tilt audio and I have a problem. I have 3.1 PCB and my skill in electronic is not so bad. But, when I put my tilt audio in my addams, I switch on and CPU check rom. At this time, I have an error and if I go in settings, It's wrote " sound board interface error ". My tilt audio boot and I can play normally. All musics and sounds trigger are ok. I put in theater of magic... It's the same problem. So I think, it's a tilt audio problem. Can you show me the way to verify the good parts and wiring. My CMS parts are 74LVC574AD, LVC138A, 74LVC00AD and it's a full kit from go-dmd. Regards

IMG_8878 (resized).JPGIMG_8878 (resized).JPGIMG_8879 (resized).JPGIMG_8879 (resized).JPG
#1344 3 years ago
Quoted from Tiberium:

Hi, I just made my first tilt audio and I have a problem. I have 3.1 PCB and my skill in electronic is not so bad. But, when I put my tilt audio in my addams, I switch on and CPU check rom. At this time, I have an error and if I go in settings, It's wrote " sound board interface error ". My tilt audio boot and I can play normally. All musics and sounds trigger are ok. I put in theater of magic... It's the same problem. So I think, it's a tilt audio problem. Can you show me the way to verify the good parts and wiring. My CMS parts are 74LVC574AD, LVC138A, 74LVC00AD and it's a full kit from go-dmd. Regards
[quoted image][quoted image]

Can you post hires photos of your sound board? I'd check for solder bridges on the surface mount chips. Get out the magnifying glasses! If you have a solder bridge those are usually easy to remove using a good quality solder wick.

#1345 3 years ago

Thanks, here some pictures. CMS parts seem to be correctly welded. I test continuity from connector to input of 3 74x.. So, I made a bridge. I think, I will remove connector, clean and reweld.

IMG_8883 (resized).JPGIMG_8883 (resized).JPGIMG_8884 (resized).JPGIMG_8884 (resized).JPGIMG_8885 (resized).JPGIMG_8885 (resized).JPGIMG_8886 (resized).JPGIMG_8886 (resized).JPGIMG_8887 (resized).JPGIMG_8887 (resized).JPG
#1346 3 years ago
Quoted from Tiberium:

Thanks, here some pictures. CMS parts seem to be correctly welded. I test continuity from connector to input of 3 74x.. So, I made a bridge. I think, I will remove connector, clean and reweld.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It looks like there could be a solder bridge between two pins on IC2.

#1347 3 years ago

Tiberium It is normal to get "sound interface error" because the sound card boots slower than and (AFAIK) doesn't write back to the MPU.
If all sounds play normally during game and you have no extra/wrong/missing sounds I would say it is working as it should.
Is this the case ?

#1348 3 years ago
Quoted from Tiberium:Hi, I just made my first tilt audio and I have a problem. I have 3.1 PCB and my skill in electronic is not so bad. But, when I put my tilt audio in my addams, I switch on and CPU check rom. At this time, I have an error and if I go in settings, It's wrote " sound board interface error ". My tilt audio boot and I can play normally. All musics and sounds trigger are ok. I put in theater of magic... It's the same problem. So I think, it's a tilt audio problem. Can you show me the way to verify the good parts and wiring. My CMS parts are 74LVC574AD, LVC138A, 74LVC00AD and it's a full kit from go-dmd. Regards
[quoted image][quoted image]

That error is normal with Tiltaudio because it currently does not respond to the soundboard check sent from the CPU. Just ignore.

#1349 3 years ago

Yup, unfortunately that is something you will have to live with. Hopefully Steve can eliminate that in later versions. The other brand figured it out, so hopefully Tiltaudio would be able to eliminate it as well.

#1350 3 years ago
Quoted from Tiberium:

What is the purpose of that bridge ? https://i1.pinside.com/2/62/2621429a0c66e5f5b28f70e985c6950191339698/resized/740/2621429a0c66e5f5b28f70e985c6950191339698.jpg

That pin 31 (RW) of the WPC connector should go to pin1 of LVC138 but you connected it to DataEast Strobe ???

Should not cause any trouble in WPC but why ??

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

4,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Gresham, OR
Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball

$ 27.95
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.