rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG

There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 41.
#1051 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

I agree they are not mission critical, that why I said it "basically" works. But they should work properly as advertised.
As far as the sounds set, why would that be a soundset issue. If the correct sound is there shouldn't the shield tell the sound to stop or start when communicating with the CPU? Maybe you can tell me what I might be missing? I posted this question before and someone else told me to switch that setting and it worked but now I have no end music.

I´m not very deep into this but afaik the CPU only sends the sound commands and the sound-ROM on the original sound board knows how to treat the individual sounds like play endless, play one time, stop other sounds etc. Because there is no sound ROM any more , but only extracted sounds of it, the information how to treat a sound needs to be adjusted by hand (You also have to do this with the commercial product). It might also be that a stop command is not interpreted, but you should see this in the logfile as a command. In the most simple case you only need to add or assign a soundfile to the command and everything works as expected.

#1052 4 years ago

For me,
LOTR : no music on game start, at all. music was starting only on ball2, and no event captured on the log
IJ WMS : mixed sounds and sounds repeated all over, and log files didn't help to solve

#1053 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

For me,
LOTR : no music on game start, at all. music was starting only on ball2, and no event captured on the log
IJ WMS : mixed sounds and sounds repeated all over, and log files didn't help to solve

LOTR : Is it only when the machine is turned on or also on the second game ?
IJ WMS : sounds like a problem with the soundset. Steve and I tested in my STTNG and it worked well.

#1054 4 years ago

LOTR : On all games, not only the first
IJ : Steve and I have worked on the soundset and we failed at finding a solution

#1055 4 years ago

I think STTNG is one of the few games that actually works close to 100%. It didn't at first, but i did a lot of debugging with Steve, and Steve found a couple of problems in the firmware. And it was then fixed. Along with setting the correct stop commands it got pretty close to 100%. CFTBL was the same. After some debugging with Steve, we found out that the descrambling files wasnt correct.

I still believe that the descrambling / decoding of existing soundsets poses a big problem. People are under the impression that they can use sound sets created by the community for the commercial product. And in some cases they can, but definitely not all are descrambled correctly.

And i dont think anyone has actually done a new sound set from scratch for Tilt Audio via M1 and the other needed tools.

#1056 4 years ago

Would a tutorial on how to build a soundset for tilt audio be out of the realm of possibility? I know I was under the impression that you could use the "other" soundsets and as I found out, you really can't. So if people have to build there own soundsets, then that should be clearly stated somewhere. Unless I missed where it says that.

As I said in an earlier post, I think that is where a lot of people are running into trouble, getting a good working soundset.

#1057 4 years ago

Agree, a good tool and tutorial would be really great.

#1058 4 years ago

A tutorial how to rip the original sounds from the ROM can be found here
https://www.vpforums.org/index.php?app=tutorials&article=54

#1059 4 years ago

I purchased a kit on the 10th December.
Despite messaging Steve on slack no idea when if I'm going to get this kit.

Decided to try and get a refund and go for a pinsound, it's a shame really.

Shouldn't really be selling items online and then have to chase the order and then have no real response to when your going to get it.

Promised it was packed ready to ship two weeks ago, no communication or help really.

#1060 4 years ago

Agree, the lack of support is one thing understandable, for a diy project
But the selling should be stopped in this case or with warnings of unknown delays

#1061 4 years ago

Yes, over two months and still the order is in processing.

1 week later
#1062 4 years ago

The kit arrived this morning, all packaged well.

Took along time but got here so thank you steve.

#1063 4 years ago
Quoted from Jakemate:

The kit arrived this morning, all packaged well.
Took along time but got here so thank you steve.

Well that's great!

1 week later
#1064 4 years ago

Kit all built and running, no issues with the build or software and is going great.

Running version 1.28on a raspberry 3+

Pinball is bsd

Webui is a great tool also

Had a few blank sounds but filled in the folder with a different wav file, needs a bit of tweaking on the gains etc but that can be done on the webui.

Be nice to have an unscrambled soundset to try though

Overall I'm impressed and very happy.

#1065 4 years ago

I don’t know if it’s been discussed before, but does the pinsound board unscramble sound sets when it’s loading a new set from USB? Could I then take that decompressed file it made On the USB stick and use it in the tilt audio?

#1066 4 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

I don’t know if it’s been discussed before, but does the pinsound board unscramble sound sets when it’s loading a new set from USB? Could I then take that decompressed file it made On the USB stick and use it in the tilt audio?

It messes with the files, but not in the way you're hoping. I think Steve still has to help with descrambling, if a sound set hasn't already been descrambled

#1067 4 years ago

Yes it would be handy to test a unscrambled sound set on bsd.

1 month later
#1068 3 years ago

Hello tilt users.
I'm using a Tilt audio 2.6a with RPI3B+ on Last action hero
I get no sound while playing, it's because i use a scrambled pack.
I don't find others pack for Last action Hero(i got one original and on remastered on pinsound website).
Can someone help me to find an unscrambled pack or explain how to descramble it myself ?

For testing i tried Lethal weapon and tales from the crypt pack( from pinsound too) and it work

#1069 3 years ago
Quoted from KoSLoW:

Hello tilt users.
I'm using a Tilt audio 2.6a with RPI3B+ on Last action hero
I get no sound while playing, it's because i use a scrambled pack.
I don't find others pack for Last action Hero(i got one original and on remastered on pinsound website).
Can someone help me to find an unscrambled pack or explain how to descramble it myself ?
For testing i tried Lethal weapon and tales from the crypt pack( from pinsound too) and it work

You have to send a message to Steve; he will unscramble it for you. PinSound has changed the way the sounds are scrambled, and I believe Steve has a method to fix it

1 week later
#1070 3 years ago

It's been 3 months since I ordered and about a month since the last response from Steve.
No package.

1 week later
#1071 3 years ago

I have attempted to contact steve to purchase this product in bulk, assemble, and offer on my online store. I need these for my pins, and might as well build extras while I am home.

Parts will be at pinballcups.com

If steve sees this first, please respond so I can purchase multiple kits and parts.

Thanks,

#1072 3 years ago
Quoted from LovelyCoCoNuts:

I have attempted to contact steve to purchase this product in bulk, assemble, and offer on my online store. I need these for my pins, and might as well build extras while I am home.
Parts will be at pinballcups.com
If steve sees this first, please respond so I can purchase multiple kits and parts.
Thanks,

I would HIGHLY caution you against selling the kits. People will get pissed at you when things don't work. I was thinking about doing the same thing way back, so I ordered some PCB's and attempted to get things going for 3 of my games. The end result was heartbreak. I have a bunch of PCB's sitting here and things just don't work right. I have 3 different PCB's that I had assembled, but none of them work right in any of my games. I wont go into details, look back if you want to see. Anyways, if you really think its a good idea, I would suggest doing 1 for yourself first and seeing if you can get it to work as is. My guess is you won't.

I tried to get a copy of the source files to help fix things, but was unable to get in contact with Steve. I feel like a debby downer in this thread, but I really don't think anyone should attempt to do this project at this point.

#1073 3 years ago

Sadly sounds right..

#1074 3 years ago

I have considered ordering from PCBWAY using the information posted on https://easyeda.com/steve45/raspisnd-i2s, but the file describing the placement of the components is missing.

#1075 3 years ago

Definitely seems like the time is right for someone else to help out on the project. Has anyone heard from Steve at all?

#1076 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Definitely seems like the time is right for someone else to help out on the project. Has anyone heard from Steve at all?

I have talked to him just yesterday. Still no time for his hobby projects. The problem is not sharing the source, but the lack of qualification of the applicants.

#1077 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I have talked to him just yesterday. Still no time for his hobby projects. The problem is not sharing the source, but the lack of qualification of the applicants.

Well let him know we hope he’s doing well, hope the new job is working out!

#1078 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Why not opensource the project and allow further development? If it's a money thing, could we just find a target amount he's looking for and pay into a pool? He could still retain control over a main repository and develop / approve changes to the main branch.

#1079 3 years ago

I'd be interested in trying this on an older DE like Secret Service or Robocop

3 weeks later
#1080 3 years ago

Are these kits still being sold? It looks like it has a lot of potential and would be great if others could enhance it as well.

Does anyone know of a site that described the interface and protocol used to talk to these sound boards? Interested in reading up on how the Data East and Williams games tell the sound card what sounds and voices to play.

#1081 3 years ago

The kits are being sold, but expect to wait 4 (!) months to get them.

#1082 3 years ago

Is this based on teh project here:

https://pinball-mods.de/2017/01/27/new-pinball-sound-for-de/

It looks like the source used to be here but I didn't see it:

https://gitlab.com/sker65/RasPinSound

It would be nice to get a full kit but I guess I'll wait until things speed up a bit. Could probably just wire up something on a proto board to be compatible but the SW is gone.

#1083 3 years ago
Quoted from Robotworkshop:

Are these kits still being sold? It looks like it has a lot of potential and would be great if others could enhance it as well.
Does anyone know of a site that described the interface and protocol used to talk to these sound boards? Interested in reading up on how the Data East and Williams games tell the sound card what sounds and voices to play.

I have an assembled 2.xx unit, minus the raspberry pi, that I'd sell for $82 shipped in the US via USPS Priority.

I also have another assembled 1.xx version, minus the raspberry pi, that I'd sell for $40 shipped in the US via USPS priority.

If anybody is interested, shoot me a PM and I'll provide pictures.

#1084 3 years ago

So when creating sound sets and music do you need to know the protocol and number of each one? It looks like a simple interface from the data east board where it just sets up the 8 bits for the sound then strobes the STB line. It is a specific number for each sound or is it multiple bytes where one is a command and another data about the sound or music to play? I'd like to learn a bit more about that interface and protocol if possible. Would help with troubleshooting issues with this as well as the original sound boards.

#1085 3 years ago

So when creating sound sets and music do you need to know the protocol and number of each one? It looks like a simple interface from the data east board where it just sets up the 8 bits for the sound then strobes the STB line. It is a specific number for each sound or is it multiple bytes where one is a command and another data about the sound or music to play? I'd like to learn a bit more about that interface and protocol if possible. Would help with troubleshooting issues with this as well as the original sound boards.

Have a look at the pinmame snd_alt.h to learn more about the protocols.

1 week later
#1086 3 years ago

I just picked up a version 2.5c board from one of the other members here. As I've been reading the docs I found this note on the TiltAudio site:

"XSMT on DAC module -- Up to board rev 2.5f there’s a bug with the XSMT connection of the DAC module. XSMT controls the soft mute, if you solder the pin you’re muting the DAC -> no sound. This is fixed in newer releases. Most people anyway solder only L G R G "

It looks like all the pins are soldered on this module already. Should I remove one of the pins? It isn't clear on the TilitAudio site which pin is XSMT. Does anyone have any insight on this?

#1087 3 years ago

After looking over this V2.5c board it looks like it should have three .1uf or .01uf decoupling caps added to U2, U3, and U4. I plan on adding a small axial version of those caps on the top of each of those chips directly across the power leads. Earlier in this thread a couple people mentioned that sounds played when they shouldn't. If it is related to decoupling noise on these chips then adding those caps may help. I've always added them on the supply pins for every IC.

#1088 3 years ago

Any links to download the latest firmware/software for this? I read there is a new version 1.29 but no links to download.

#1089 3 years ago

I made the mistake soldering all the pins. I'll take a photo of mine later on today.

#1091 3 years ago

The latest link Steve posted on the slack channel for 1.29 was this: https://mega.nz/#!ZkJj2QwJ!Bi3eY7NKQ8NPYBnM2nCmrWp0_pJV5U6xe15R5yH1WZU

#1092 3 years ago

Can any of the existing Pinsound mixes be ported over to work on this board? I have a Dr Who that I’d like to try this rev 2.5c board in. I saw and early video of it connected to a Dr Who and it sounded like one of the Pinsound mixes being played.

#1093 3 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

I made the mistake soldering all the pins. I'll take a photo of mine later on today.

I searched eBay for those DAC modules and one showed the back of it. From the picture it looks like XSMT matches up with pin 3 on the top of the board. If so it looks like that is the pin to remove.

#1094 3 years ago

Can any of the existing Pinsound mixes be ported over to work on this board?

Why don't you just get a Pinsound board instead? A lot of work went into them.

#1095 3 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Why don't you just get a Pinsound board instead? A lot of work went into them.

Totally understand that a lot of work went into the Pinsound boards and someday may have one. However....

- I already have one of these TiltAudio boards not installed in a machine that I can experiment with <----
- A lot of work also seems to have gone into this TiltAudio board
- In a YouTube video it seemed that this was capable of running a converted sound board mix on Dr Who.
- The Dr Who mixes that I was considering were put together by users and owners of Dr Who machines and to my knowledge weren't made by the creators of PinSound. As long as the creators of the mix don't care what soundboard it is running on then I wouldn't expect any issues.
- I would prefer to see if I really enjoy using alternate sound sets enough to justify the expense of a Pinsound.

I picked this up for a Data east project machine but won't need it for that anytime soon. In the meantime if I can make it run in Dr Who then I'll try that and see how it goes.

#1096 3 years ago

I already have one of these TiltAudio boards not installed in a machine that I can experiment with

Roger that. Keep in mind, the Pinsound board does more than just play sound sets. Its discreet amplifier is of great quality. It also allows for 3-band EQ, as well as proper panning. It's a really cool piece of hardware. I use the stock Pinsound mix for my Champion Pub (I don't run anything funky) and I find it improved the audio quality over the stock WPC95 board.

(for me, I had to get Pinsound because my WPC95 board had a bad sound channel, and Pinsound was the first solution that allowed the full WPC95 board to be retired!)

#1097 3 years ago

I removed pin 3 on the DAC module and added three .1uf decoupling/bypass caps across the supply leads of the three IC chips on the board as pictured. I’ve always put them at every chip on boards I’ve done and thought it would be good to add them here too.

I’m still reading up on this board but had questions about power. It seems it only needs +12v and has an onboard 5v power derived from that to power 5v on the sound board. With that shouldn’t any 5v supply line going to this board be disconnected? Just want to be completely sure of the connections before trying it out.

Next up is to image an SD card and setup the software.

942D17A9-F104-4176-8B0D-D968E1BFBD4B (resized).jpeg942D17A9-F104-4176-8B0D-D968E1BFBD4B (resized).jpeg
#1098 3 years ago

With that shouldn’t any 5v supply line going to this board be disconnected? Just want to be completely sure of the connections before trying it out.

I can´t see the power part of your board but if you have installed a DC-DC converter you should cut the 5V power line going back form DC-DC converter to the pinball 5V line.

#1099 3 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

I can´t see the power part of your board but if you have installed a DC-DC converter you should cut the 5V power line going back form DC-DC converter to the pinball 5V line.

I picked up this board second hand and it was already assembled. Just going over everything before I get to the point of installing it in a game. Did a quick bench test with just the 12v line connected and read 5v at the power connector. That is where I stopped since that should only come from one source. I suppose I’ll have to take a look at the layout to ensure it is isolated from the pinball supply.

#1100 3 years ago

Got board 2.6d up and running ! Finally

Might have been nice to know that there's a setting "enable_minidisplay" that probably has to be set to 1 for the OLED-display to work ?
I assumed it was wrong power connection as per https://tiltaudio.com/2019/04/18/assembly-instructions-for-2-5c-green/, but desoldering broke the display connections ... :/
So I haven't been able to test this further.

It would also have been nice if it was documented somewhere that the pin-outs for the backbox speaker connections is not standard, you have to rewire or make an adapter if you have a stock machine.
It is printed on the PCB and in the schematics, but still ...

I'm testing with a Indiana Jones Adventure machine.
I downloaded the Funhouse sound set, and sounds got triggered - so board and communication with the machine is working.

When I try the reorchestrated soundset for IJ, though, I get these errors :

2019-05-11 13:44:03.108 WARN SndServi [handleSoundByTypeWithIdx] [sdl_sound.c:1470] sample for id '91' not found

Does this mean that the sound set needs to be descrambled ?
If so, is this something I can do myself - or do I need to contact Steve ?
Seeing as he seems very busy it would be nice to be able to fix this myself ....

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
€ 160.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
5,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply
Decals
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 19.00
Boards
Tilted Pinball
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 259.00
Displays
Retrocity
Displays
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 22 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/22?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.