rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 41.
#1001 4 years ago

I have two raspberry 3B and one raspberry 3B +, only one Raspberry 3B runs on 1.25, I upgrade to version 1.29 it doesn't work on any. Do you also have a similar problem?

#1002 4 years ago

Steve, any chance to make some progress on whitestar issues?
My LOTR would deserve a better sound, but I dunno how to help about that..

1 week later
#1003 4 years ago

steve45
Steve, I have a 1.3 data east for my LOTR.
I wanted to know how to connect it to the speakers as there are no amplifiers on the board.

Are you still on this project?

#1004 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

steve45
Steve, I have a 1.3 data east for my LOTR.
I wanted to know how to connect it to the speakers as there are no amplifiers on the board.

Doesn’t Whitestar require an interface for the sound chip because of how it was designed? I’ll let Steve confirm but I know it’s nit a straight forward connection like DE games are

#1005 4 years ago

I have the pinsound interface and done a lot of debugging with LOTR yet.
But I've always used the jack and external speakers

#1006 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Steve a has a new job which currently eats up all of his time. I´m sure he will return as soon as
he has the time to do so.

#1007 4 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Steve a has a new job which currently eats up all of his time. I´m sure he will return as soon as
he has the time to do so.

Hope the job is a good one! Transitioning to new work does take up quite a bit of time..

#1008 4 years ago

Got mine working last night. I'd soldered the XSMT pin and muted the DAC, Doh!

#1009 4 years ago

Thanks lucky1

3 weeks later
#1010 4 years ago

Hello Folks. I am new and really lost. The website isn't really helpful on addressing my needs plus the 25% of the site is still in German even if I select English. I need a sound board for my data east TMNT. Do I buy the TILTAudio or Kit 1.9 for Raspberry Pinball Sound Project?

On the TILTAudio -
"The new board has an additional 3.5 jack , so you can use standard cable. Also has installed a DC converter from 12V to 5V" What?

With the TILTAudio, what is the difference between With/Without Amplifiers. Difference between power Supply Internally or external ? Nothing on the website explains this. Can someone help me out?

#1011 4 years ago
Quoted from boy141:

Hello Folks. I am new and really lost. The website isn't really helpful on addressing my needs plus the 25% of the site is still in German even if I select English. I need a sound board for my data east TMNT. Do I buy the TILTAudio or Kit 1.9 for Raspberry Pinball Sound Project?
On the TILTAudio -
"The new board has an additional 3.5 jack , so you can use standard cable. Also has installed a DC converter from 12V to 5V" What?
With the TILTAudio, what is the difference between With/Without Amplifiers. Difference between power Supply Internally or external ? Nothing on the website explains this. Can someone help me out?

How much soldering experience do you have ?
Get a kit with amplifiers. External power supply is generally better for DE games

12V to 5V converter is for internal power, but as I mentioned you should use an external PS.

How much surface mount soldering experience do you have ?

#1012 4 years ago

I don't believe this board is a replacement for the version of sound board that turtles uses.

#1013 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How much soldering experience do you have ?
Get a kit with amplifiers. External power supply is generally better for DE games

12V to 5V converter is for internal power, but as I mentioned you should use an external PS.

How much surface mount soldering experience do you have ?

Hi! Plenty of experience soddering transistors, header pins. zero experience on SMT but I do have flux AND a hot rework station. On another site, I've been reading posts where Steve hasn't fulfilled orders. Getting a bit worried here.

#1014 4 years ago
Quoted from boy141:

Hi! Plenty of experience soddering transistors, header pins. zero experience on SMT but I do have flux AND a hot rework station. On another site, I've been reading posts where Steve hasn't fulfilled orders. Getting a bit worried here.

I think he's gotten a bit busy since he started a new job, but I've received 4 different orders from him pretty quickly, and not that long ago. So I wouldn't be *that* concerned. He's a little hit-and-miss to find him on here or on the slack channel, but he does respond. Also, the thieving french dudes have been harassing him with legal action without basis, so he may not be as quick to post here. you can always PM him.

#1015 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Also, the thieving french dudes have been harassing him with legal action without basis, so he may not be as quick to post here. you can always PM him.

Thank you for the reassurance. I just wished his FAQs were more helpful. So here's what I have down. I need an external power supply and a kit with amplifiers. So I am guessing TILT! Audio Kit with a new 2.5 board ? External power supply - is it 12v or 5volts? After this is all said and done, I will volunteer to write a FAQ for him. Some of the links take you to version 2.2 . Google is not his friend at all.

#1016 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

I don't believe this board is a replacement for the version of sound board that turtles uses.

Hi kba78. Are you sure about it? Wished he had a list of "supported titles"

#1017 4 years ago
Quoted from boy141:

Thank you for the reassurance. I just wished his FAQs were more helpful. So here's what I have down. I need an external power supply and a kit with amplifiers. So I am guessing TILT! Audio Kit with a new 2.5 board ? External power supply - is it 12v or 5volts? After this is all said and done, I will volunteer to write a FAQ for him. Some of the links take you to version 2.2 . Google is not his friend at all.

This is just a hobby thing - you do have to do a lot of your own research. Part of the deal. If you’re looking for an all-in-one solution, buy the Pinball Thieves Pinsound. $400 and the documentation is better.. but not much

#1018 4 years ago
Quoted from boy141:

at the moment it is a waste of money, the project still needs to be refined, and as we know Steve does not have time for it now.

#1019 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

This is just a hobby thing - you do have to do a lot of your own research. Part of the deal. If you’re looking for an all-in-one solution, buy the Pinball Thieves Pinsound. $400 and the documentation is better.. but not much

Calling them thieves seems a bit.. rude.
They developed a high quality product with a brand. I'd say that Steve was also playing a bit when calling his product.

Anyway, everybody can do his choice.
Pinsound is a wonderful device, for pinball fans. It's plug and play and HQ.
Tilt audio is a DIY cheap solution, fun to setup but personally, I did not manage to have any working setup, whatever the config (wms, whitestar). I reached each time a "nearly good level" but not sufficient to remove the original sound card.
My 2 cents

#1020 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

They developed a high quality product with a brand. I'd say that Steve was also playing a bit when calling his product.
Tilt audio is a DIY cheap solution, fun to setup but personally, I did not manage to have any working setup, whatever the config (wms, whitestar). I reached each time a "nearly good level" but not sufficient to remove the original sound card.
My 2 cents

I don’t feel it’s incorrect. Nothing to do with Steve, although I don’t appreciate how they throw their weight around with him.

See here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-no-more-reset-and-rob-kahr-s-board?hl=rdoyle1978#post-5347188

#1021 4 years ago
Quoted from boy141:

Hi kba78. Are you sure about it? Wished he had a list of "supported titles"

I am pretty sure, because I wanted to do a back to future and Steve told me that it would not work for that system

#1022 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I don’t feel it’s incorrect. Nothing to do with Steve, although I don’t appreciate how they throw their weight around with him.
See here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/pinsound-no-more-reset-and-rob-kahr-s-board?hl=rdoyle1978#post-5347188

Was not aware of that.. this hobby is always creating such drama..

#1023 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Was not aware of that.. this hobby is always creating such drama..

Yep

#1024 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

My 2 cents

What part did you stumble at? I have a fully working one in Frankenstein.

#1025 4 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

k

#1026 4 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

What part did you stumble at? I have a fully working one in Frankenstein.

No stumble, the system was not fully behaving as the original sound card.
Like repeated samples, missing ball1 music.. It was nearly good, not perfect

#1027 4 years ago

No worries.

1 week later
#1028 4 years ago

It’s been several months since Steve posted on this thread even though he continued to visit pinside as recently as 10-12 days ago. At least take the time to say youre busy or anything really. I got into this project on a recommendation from another member telling me this was easier and better than pinsound. Between the scattered support, ambiguous instructions, failure to launch and lack of comms I feel like I wasted my time and money. I’ve been patient but that’s over. I don’t recommend this product in its current form at all.

#1029 4 years ago

Anything i can help with?

#1030 4 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

It’s been several months since Steve posted on this thread even though he continued to visit pinside as recently as 10-12 days ago. At least take the time to say youre busy or anything really. I got into this project on a recommendation from another member telling me this was easier and better than pinsound. Between the scattered support, ambiguous instructions, failure to launch and lack of comms I feel like I wasted my time and money. I’ve been patient but that’s over. I don’t recommend this product in its current form at all.

Have you posted Questions in this thread at all? Or on the slack channel?

#1031 4 years ago

I will repeat my question

Quoted from fly:

I have two raspberry 3B and one raspberry 3B +, only one Raspberry 3B runs on 1.25, I upgrade to version 1.29 it doesn't work on any. Do you also have a similar problem?

#1032 4 years ago

I run mine on v1.27, 1.29 nags me about registration.

#1033 4 years ago
Quoted from Marv:

I run mine on v1.27, 1.29 nags me about registration.

in V1.29, disable LUA in the config and the Key request disapears as the old Key is not including the LUA feature...

#1034 4 years ago

I have looked throught this thread and the website and I am still a little uncertain about something:

1. How do you recognize the commands from the pinball cpu to tell the sound board which sound to play? Do you have to capture all of the possible "hashtags" from a particular machine and also understand when you captured each one, which sound should have played?

Here is what I am thinking about doing: ive got a Midway's Hot Shot basketball arcade game which uses WPC electronics(exactly the same as say Dr. Who or Getaway). I would like to install this Tilt Audio board in my machine and start with original sounds and then change them up after that. I am sort of comfortable being able to capture the sounds with M1 or Pinmame. I am also very comfortable with the soldering and raspberry pi.

Also, if there is anyone on here that would be selling their Tilt audio or raspisound hardware, please let me know.

Any advice or help on the above question is appreciated. thank you,

-tom

#1035 4 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

All this, plus it took almost 2 months to receive but spent only a week in transit. No direct communication that my order was delayed. Figured I'd wait and see how things went for others before putting any effort into it.

#1036 4 years ago

Ive had a Pinsound for my Getaway now for 2 Months it runs perfect, I should have bought one a long time ago instead of wasting 3 months, Tilt Audio is a great idea but steve45 it seems can no longer commit to the project so if you have the cash I would recommend Pinsound.

#1037 4 years ago

I think most of the problems are from user error it's not a project for the novice of soldering or Linux.

First to hold my hand up with the soldering I muted the DAC.

#1038 4 years ago

I too have done the kit with data east star wars. It was pretty involved getting it running untill I got a firm grip on what I was doing. Then getting an unscrambled soundset was a total challenge. Steve sent me 2 didn't work right and I repeatedly asked him for the known working one that he posted a video of. Then he finally sent me a third one (not the one he posted) and it worked!
For two weeks it was fine then stopped but that ended up being my raspberry pi crapped out.
Works now and is livable, but some sounds still aren't right I wish for star wars he would just give the one he posted a video off earlier in this thread

#1039 4 years ago

It's post #760 with the video.

#1040 4 years ago

Also, I would like to suggest that, those of us who have a known working soundset, to post them for others to use. That's the biggest problem I had, after getting everything together

#1041 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Also, I would like to suggest that, those of us who have a known working soundset, to post them for others to use.

LOL! You assume way too much! Besides Steve, I'm not sure anyone has a fully working board/setup. It was a great idea, but there are too many issues with the project. First one being the constant hardware refreshes. Setup the hardware and be done. Stop constantly iterating it. Get a single version done and working, THEN iterate a new version with more features, etc. That way you can concentrate on the software and getting that working. There is a great framework setup here, there is just too much jumping around between stuff. Get a base set of features working, then add extras.

#1042 4 years ago

amen to this.
a wonderful DIY initiative but one man only can't handle that at 100%. I've spent quite a lot of time on different setups with differents boards and I'd be really happy to have this running on my LOTR..

#1043 4 years ago

are the mapping files still needed ??

#1044 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

LOL! You assume way too much! Besides Steve, I'm not sure anyone has a fully working board/setup. It was a great idea, but there are too many issues with the project. First one being the constant hardware refreshes. Setup the hardware and be done. Stop constantly iterating it. Get a single version done and working, THEN iterate a new version with more features, etc. That way you can concentrate on the software and getting that working. There is a great framework setup here, there is just too much jumping around between stuff. Get a base set of features working, then add extras.

I agree , it's definitely not perfected and needs to be before updates. I was just suggesting something's that could make it easier for people willing to tackle this project. Maybe a detailed step by step would help also. I don't know, just thinking out loud, I guess.

I have my star wars pretty much working (still has some minor bugs), but I struggled enough that I won't do another one. Could I assemble another one? Yes but good luck getting a sound set to work right

#1045 4 years ago

I get where you were going, I'm just saying that nobody should probably even try to tackle this at this point. I bought 5 boards thinking this was going to be amazing and I was really excited to be able to add better sound and shakers to my games. Unfortunately, that looks like it wont happen now unless some serious updates/changes happen. Steve, prove me wrong

#1046 4 years ago

I also agree with you that the platform is there, just has to be perfected. Maybe someone else could take the rains and workout the bugs with the base shield

#1047 4 years ago

What bugs are you seeing?

#1048 4 years ago

I had to select suppress loop music because the end of game song would just continue forever, now it just ends after the match feature

Data east volume control doesn't work, even with it on, in web UI.

No sounds in place for storm trooper shoot out, so if you're not looking at the display you don't know you should do.

As of last update, the web UI is supposed to search for internet contact points, my come up with none.

This just a few that come to mind

#1049 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:I had to select suppress loop music because the end of game song would just continue forever, now it just ends after the match feature
Quoted from kba78:

No sounds in place for storm trooper shoot out, so if you're not looking at the display you don't know you should do.

That sounds more like a problem with the soundset than with the Firmware of TiltAudio.
As far as I understand the project adding and editing sounds is the work of the end user and not of Steve.

Quoted from kba78:

Data east volume control doesn't work, even with it on, in web UI.

Quoted from kba78:

As of last update, the web UI is supposed to search for internet contact points, my come up with none.

And those issues don´t sound "mission critical" to me.

#1050 4 years ago

I agree they are not mission critical, that why I said it "basically" works. But they should work properly as advertised.

As far as the sounds set, why would that be a soundset issue. If the correct sound is there shouldn't the shield tell the sound to stop or start when communicating with the CPU? Maybe you can tell me what I might be missing? I posted this question before and someone else told me to switch that setting and it worked but now I have no end music.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 85.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Haus

$ 27.95
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 36.95
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 21 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/21?hl=benetnath and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.