rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 41.
#801 4 years ago

PM me a price on 2 complete boards? I fucked up both of the kit ones i bought.

#802 4 years ago

OK, so the new image is way smoother! Thanks for updating that. Way easier. My problem now is I get no sound at all from the speakers. I also have no errors that I can see in the logs. I dont hear the boot sounds, game sounds, nothing. Here is my log if you want to look, but is there some other thing for me to look at and see why I cant? I assume the issue is somewhere between the pi and the speaker out. Could it be a bad connection between the pi and the amp? What pins should I check continuity between?

Here is my log if you want to look at it: https://1drv.ms/u/s!ArdtzWfkcdJUh5NclBRw5pOy02fy5Q

#803 4 years ago

So I went through and verified that all points from the pi to the sound boards are ok. I have 2 boards, both do the same thing. It looks like they should be working from the logs, but nothing. Points have continuity. Not sure how to test/verify if the pi is putting out sound though.

#804 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

So I went through and verified that all points from the pi to the sound boards are ok. I have 2 boards, both do the same thing. It looks like they should be working from the logs, but nothing. Points have continuity. Not sure how to test/verify if the pi is putting out sound though.

Have you tried to switch audio devices? Another easy test when you hear no audio: just connect a small speaker to builtin 3.5 audio jack or audio jack on the DAC module to check if you hear at least boot sounds.

What is also weird in your logfile: there's way to much 0x8b commands coming from the cpu, so there is something wrong with the data connection. Please check the jumper position, is it on WPC? Also pull out the ribbon cable for a first test, the 0x8b bytes should be gone in the logfile, but you should still hear boot sound and serial number annoucement.

Br Steve

#805 4 years ago

I removed the data connection for testing. No more 0x8b commands. My jumper is on the WPC position, and WPC is set in the config. If I hook up a 3.5 speaker to the pi, I hear the sounds. So that is working. I tried connecting it to the DAC module, and im not getting anything. Which audio device should I be choosing? HiFi DAC direct, HiFi DAC with conversion, the sndrpihifiberry, or one of the alsa devices? I have 2 different 2.5d boards, so it seems weird that they both would have bad DAC modules (though I suppose it could be a bad batch from the factory or something). Thanks for the help.

#806 4 years ago

Is your DAC Module connect with all pins to the main board ? If so, thats wrong and connect it like on the TiltAudio Website described.
The Output device is Hifi DAC or equal-dac for example...

#808 4 years ago
Quoted from Jim-Beam:

Is your DAC Module connect with all pins to the main board ? If so, thats wrong and connect it like on the TiltAudio Website described.
The Output device is Hifi DAC or equal-dac for example...

It totally is. Oops. I'll have to remove those pins and try again. Thanks for the input!

#809 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

It totally is. Oops. I'll have to remove those pins and try again. Thanks for the input!

I hope that helps, i had that once...

#810 4 years ago

Ill hopefully know soon. I was unable to remove the DAC in one piece (soldering iron slipped and hit one of those tiny ass resistors off and instantly lost it on the carpeted floor ‍♂️) and have a new one arriving soon. Wish there was a cheaper/faster way of getting them than either $7 off of amazon or 45 days from aliexpress.

#811 4 years ago

Just ordered a pair of boards, one for my getaway and another for my Jurassic Park. Can’t wait to get them and start tinkering!

#812 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

Ill hopefully know soon. I was unable to remove the DAC in one piece (soldering iron slipped and hit one of those tiny ass resistors off and instantly lost it on the carpeted floor ‍♂️) and have a new one arriving soon. Wish there was a cheaper/faster way of getting them than either $7 off of amazon or 45 days from aliexpress.

Digikey is less than 24 hours for every order I’ve ever made

#813 4 years ago

Just wanna give a quick heads-up: I'll be out on vacation starting mid next week and the week after. No shipping of kits in this time, also I'll have limited access to internet, slack, mail, so please expect some delay in case there are questions, support request, sounds ....

Also for those how like not yet finished announcements I'm working on the next release of board and firmware already and it will support a new port extender, that can control up to 16 additional output (can be programed as inputs as well), that can be controlled by TILT!Audio. So for a sound effect you can trigger all kind of extra effects build with the new IO port.

Br Steve

#814 4 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Just wanna give a quick heads-up: I'll be out on vacation starting mid next week and the week after. No shipping of kits in this time, also I'll have limited access to internet, slack, mail, so please expect some delay in case there are questions, support request, sounds ....
Also for those how like not yet finished announcements I'm working on the next release of board and firmware already and it will support a new port extender, that can control up to 16 additional output (can be programed as inputs as well), that can be controlled by TILT!Audio. So for a sound effect you can trigger all kind of extra effects build with the new IO port.
Br Steve

YES

#815 4 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Digikey is less than 24 hours for every order I’ve ever made

Do they actually have the proper DAC? Got a part number? I searched but didn't find anything.

#816 4 years ago

So my new DAC arrived and I installed it the correct way and it works better. Looks like the soundset for fish tales is scrambled. All the links to the old descramblers are dead, is there anything available anymore?

The major issue though is Im getting a constant sound played over and over. This is in my fish tales. I have WPC set on both the jumper and in the software. Any ideas on what to try? This is basically the entire log without starting a game, over and over and over again. Attract sounds are off, so nothing should be playing.

2019-06-09 21:36:11.168 DEBUG isr wpc [wdenInterrupt] [pincom.c:338] wpc cmd 00000 139 0x8b 10001011 len: 1
2019-06-09 21:36:11.168 DEBUG isr wpc [soundWpcHandler] [sdl_sound.c:1559] wpcSoundHandler cmd: 0x8b 0x00 0x00 0x00, id: 139
2019-06-09 21:36:11.168 DEBUG SndServi [playSample] [sdl_sound.c:1345] playing sample 139:0 vol: 15->23 'sfx' 'space_1' on channel 0

#817 4 years ago

Hello,

I've flashed and setup WiFi without issue, using the big image.
But i've got only rootfs partition mounting under windows.
How can I add the data folder ??

#818 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Hello,
I've flashed and setup WiFi without issue, using the big image.
But i've got only rootfs partition mounting under windows.
How can I add the data folder ??

Solved, I've used scp

#819 4 years ago

Could you elaborate for others with the same problem? What is SCP?

#820 4 years ago

You can connect to the raspberry using a scp software, like winscp on windows.
It's a way to use the ssh port as a ftp.
Install winscp and create a connection on the IP of the tiltaudio system, on port 22
Username is : pi
Password is : raspberry
You might be stuck with user rights, as boot/data seems not writable for pi user .
I've pushed the data to /media folder and moved it through a terminal ssh connection, using a sudo command.

Seems a bit cryptic for non-linux and not sure if it's the best way..
Maybe dietpi user has ssh access but not sure of the credentials.
Steve, can you comment ??

By the way, I redid a test on my LOTR.
it behaves like old version.
Everything works, except the first music that should start on ball1.
The initialization of the game seems not detected, as the lottery or attract music is still played. On ball2 and 3, it works well.

#821 4 years ago

You should be able to sudo or su to get root. I swear I did that when I was trying to chase down problems (but that might have been something I was working on for work too...I cant remember).

#822 4 years ago

yep, a sudo su might work too.

the easiest would be that data partition would be mounted on windows system.. or that I use ubuntu on my laptop too

#823 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

yep, a sudo su might work too.
the easiest would be that data partition would be mounted on windows system.. or that I use ubuntu on my laptop too

The ssh stuff shouldn't be necessary. Of course the first partition is meant to be mounted on windows. If this doesn't work I need to check / test the image.

Which image and which version of Windows did you use?

An alternative for just putting sound on the system is simply the webUI. I. The sound section you can just upload a complete sound pack. Much easier than fiddle around with ssh, scp and sudo ...

Br Steve

#824 4 years ago

Hi Steve,
I've used the latest big file shared here on a 16GB.
Etcher under win10 64bit was used

i wanted to put my whole data folder with key and config, so i needed a folder upload, not just soundset.

1 week later
#825 4 years ago

New revision of the 2.5 board arrived today.
IMG_20190626_174941.geaendert (resized).jpgIMG_20190626_174941.geaendert (resized).jpg

new feature: support for a port extender:

with port extender option you can control up to 16 additional GPIOs that control additional lights etc. based on the played sound effect. The used mcp 23017 has 16 programmable GPIO that supports up to 25 mA each and max 150 mA all together. So if you want to drive bigger loads you need a driver board or relay board in between.

configuration is easy: starting with version 1.28 of the firmware, you can not only place serial commands per sound effect, but also PORT commands, to either switch on or off, or playback sequenes (pulses).

Port extender is optional and must be ordered separately from the main kit.

Br Steve

#826 4 years ago

Where is the most recent guide to using this. Very interested in getting my sound better.

#827 4 years ago
Quoted from BrewNinja:

So my new DAC arrived and I installed it the correct way and it works better. Looks like the soundset for fish tales is scrambled. All the links to the old descramblers are dead, is there anything available anymore?
The major issue though is Im getting a constant sound played over and over. This is in my fish tales. I have WPC set on both the jumper and in the software. Any ideas on what to try? This is basically the entire log without starting a game, over and over and over again. Attract sounds are off, so nothing should be playing.
2019-06-09 21:36:11.168 DEBUG isr wpc [wdenInterrupt] [pincom.c:338] wpc cmd 00000 139 0x8b 10001011 len: 1
2019-06-09 21:36:11.168 DEBUG isr wpc [soundWpcHandler] [sdl_sound.c:1559] wpcSoundHandler cmd: 0x8b 0x00 0x00 0x00, id: 139
2019-06-09 21:36:11.168 DEBUG SndServi [playSample] [sdl_sound.c:1345] playing sample 139:0 vol: 15->23 'sfx' 'space_1' on channel 0

Hey steve45 any ideas on what to do with this sound constantly being triggered? Also, do you have a descrambler up anymore? Thanks!

#828 4 years ago

Anyone have a picture of a completed 2.5d/e board for WPC with DCS sound? I have an orphaned connector and I dont know if that because I got the on board power supply? My OLED display won't come on and I cant get any sound out of this thing even while using the UI to command sounds. And FYI the mounting holes to hold the board down dont match for a DCS machine.

Added over 5 years ago:

Going back thru the thread I found a picture from about a month ago with an assembled WPC board, it doesn't mention DCS but its the same as what I have built here so for now thats what i'll work with. I was able to get the sound to work from the 1/8 jack for bench testing and also got the display to work. These only came to life after doing a fresh install of 1.27. I couldn't get any of these things to work on 1.25 after multiple card reflashes. I'm using a Pi 3B+ and have no idea if the display and sound issues were related to that. I thought 1.25 was the latest version as that is what is reflected on the tilt audio site and the bintray link in the boards browser UI. I really found 1.27 by accident reading the thread. Now Im looking to solve the scrambled sound set issue for my IJ.

#829 4 years ago

What connector do you have left? Show us a picture. I'm out of town for the next 2 weeks, so I can't get a picture of mine.

1 week later
#830 4 years ago

New firmware 1.28 is out: https://mega.nz/#!l4xyDI5I!qoBXKPpOlxKabubys3AqH6tNBpEhtj0eJvP5bU4uTSY

It has a few bugfixes and especially support for the port extender (with board rev 2.5f and newer)

To use extension port you simply can reuse the serialCmd field in the sound effect details. New 1.28 recognized a few additional commands:
1. all commands for the serial media server (like before): PLAY, STOP und PLAYONEOF
2. NEW commands for the port extender: PORT x ON, PORT x OFF oder PORTSEQ x n1 n2 n3 ...

You can also combine both comamnd types in one, just use a colon as separator. X is the placeholder for the port number with the range 100-115 -> 16 outputs. The n1, n2 ... values are timespans of milli seconds, in order to playback a sequence. The port pin then toggles on and off.

There is also a new settings page in the web ui, that allows for testing GPIOs and commands in general:
TA-port-screenshot (resized).jpgTA-port-screenshot (resized).jpg

Br Steve

#831 4 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

New firmware 1.28 is out: https://mega.nz/#!l4xyDI5I!qoBXKPpOlxKabubys3AqH6tNBpEhtj0eJvP5bU4uTSY
It has a few bugfixes and especially support for the port extender (with board rev 2.5f and newer)
To use extension port you simply can reuse the serialCmd field in the sound effect details. New 1.28 recognized a few additional commands:
1. all commands for the serial media server (like before): PLAY, STOP und PLAYONEOF
2. NEW commands for the port extender: PORT x ON, PORT x OFF oder PORTSEQ x n1 n2 n3 ...
You can also combine both comamnd types in one, just use a colon as separator. X is the placeholder for the port number with the range 100-115 -> 16 outputs. The n1, n2 ... values are timespans of milli seconds, in order to playback a sequence. The port pin then toggles on and off.
There is also a new settings page in the web ui, that allows for testing GPIOs and commands in general:
[quoted image]
Br Steve

Im assuming this is an update patch file and not the large main file?

#832 4 years ago

I did a try on the previous version on lord of the ring and still have on issue : no music on ball 1. Everything out of that is 100% perfect.

Did anyone give a try on another white star ??

#833 4 years ago

I still have issues with mine, Steve. I have contacted you through email and slack numerous times.

#834 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

I still have issues with mine, Steve. I have contacted you through email and slack numerous times.

Why don't you post some of the issues here. Steve is building this thing, but troubleshooting support from afar is incredibly time-consuming. The rest of us can help too

#835 4 years ago

Ok, mine was running fine for a few days, just was working out some scrambled issues with a star wars sound set. Playing a game and the sound cut out, open door and I had no light on the pi. Checked all my voltages and all good. Put original sound board in, all good. Took out the raspberry pi and plugged in the 5v adapter and the pi boots fine. I am Thinking something when out on the shield, but have been trying to get Steve to help me pinpoint if a chip went bad or is causing a short and maybe not allow the pi to boot

#836 4 years ago

Did you test the voltages as described on tiltaudio.com

After assembly do a step by step test if you have a meter first do some checks without pi applied. Just connect WPC aux power J501 and check voltages:

after rectifier about 20V
after linear regulator 15V (depending on reg type maybe 12V)
after DC DC buck converter 5V

#837 4 years ago

As I said, I am working on a data East. What are the test points for that?

#838 4 years ago

Also, as I said, this shield ran fine for a while. Steve was just help me work through a scrambled sound set for de star wars. It then just quit, in the middle of a game

#839 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

As I said, I am working on a data East. What are the test points for that?

The test points are the same.

#840 4 years ago

Working on getting my board installed in my Getaway. So far I have v1.25 loaded up, when testing over HDMI the intro sound plays along with the serial number etc. When placed I place it into the assembled board I can't seem to get audio out through the built in amps. I have a speaker on the right channel of the BB speakers right now. I can hear it humming, but no sounds. I can connect to the tilt server over wifi so I've tried changing the audio device but none of them will output anything.

The DAC's led lights up red so it looks like it's getting power. I originally had all 4 legs connected to the left part of the board L, AGnd, R, AGnd, but went back and desoldered the two AGnd points as per a post above.

I've tried updating the firmware using the browsers update, but it doesn't seem to work. I put the file on the sd card in the root Tilt folder and named it update.zip but I can't seem to select it when browsing. I also tried selecting the file from my computer, but it still seems stuck on 1.25. Am I missing something here? Should I just download and reimage my sd card with the 1.27 image that Steve provided? ( I missed it the first time).

Feels like I'm getting close, so any input would be great. Thanks.

#841 4 years ago

I got 12v at the amps
And 5v at the dac
These seem right.
On the data East board there is no linear regulator , and no buck converter

15628796426491581531728034683809 (resized).jpg15628796426491581531728034683809 (resized).jpg
#842 4 years ago

Geteos did you try to create an update folder and put the zip in it ?

#843 4 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Geteos did you try to create an update folder and put the zip in it ?

Ah no, I didn't. I was just putting it into the root.

I ended up creating a new image for 1.27, I'm planning on testing it this week. But I'll try to update to 1.28 using an update folder.

Thanks!

#844 4 years ago

Does anyone have any insight to my problem that I described above?

#845 4 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Does anyone have any insight to my problem that I described above?

The only difference is that the PI gets the 5V through pin 2+4 on the pinheader instead of the USB power connector.
Test wether you have the 5V there.
raspberry-pi-pinout (resized).pngraspberry-pi-pinout (resized).png

#846 4 years ago

kba78
i looked at your board pic and found the 40pin socket complete down to the board. The socket is having long pins to allow an easy plugin for the rasp, so how did you mount the rasp to the socket/board ? Did you bent it somehow ? Maybe here is the problem and that why it worked just for a while ?

#847 4 years ago

I did test the 5v at the pi, but I can certainly double check.
And also, the 49 pin is not soldered all the way down. It is raised off the board

#848 4 years ago

Ok, I was able to use a friends raspberry pi today. And the shield reacted the same way. Nothing, even though all the voltages are correct. Is possible one of the three chips has failed for some reason?

#849 4 years ago

So I'm getting a bit closer but still not working the way I need it to.

I flashed 1.27 onto a 16gb card along with a custom sound set I found online.

Two problems:
1. I tried hooking up a speaker to the board itself but no matter which playback device I choose nothing will play.

2. I tried hooking up a speaker to the line out on the Pi board itself and chose the device. With this config, some of the effects play back, but I'm getting no music. I checked the logs and I'm getting this error.

2019-07-22 21:37:12.326 WARN SndServi [handleSoundByTypeWithIdx] [sdl_sound.c:1422] sample for id '55' not found

What do I have to change to get this to trigger the music properly?

#850 4 years ago

I had a similar problem when working on a star wars sound set. Ended being a scrambled sound set. Ask Steve for an unscramble sound set for getaway. I am pretty sure he has one or someone else on her must.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Louisville, KY
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 549.00
Playfield - Other
Juz PINBALL Mods

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Matthews, NC
€ 24.00
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 36.00
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 17 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/17?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.