rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 41.
#651 5 years ago

I'm glad this is being sorted as I was considered a pain when having the same issue.

Any raspberrypi without ethernet will not work with wifi from a fresh install.

I guess unless the image is setup do so.

I had to buy a B+ with ethernet/wifi and SSH & setup the sd card on the B+ and then transfer the SD to the A+.

#652 5 years ago
Quoted from Twister:

If I start dietpi-config, connected with ethernet cable, I can connect to wifi, and the SSID and password is accepted from the dietpi-wifi.txt. After this, the wifi works correct.

This may be a really dumb question, but how do I start dietpi-config? Do I just hook up a monitor to the pi to get some sort of command prompt? Or do I do it via SSH?

#653 5 years ago

You have to do it via ssh. I used Putty on windows

#654 5 years ago

Cool, thank you very much. I will give it a try tomorrow and report back.

#655 5 years ago

I guess I will hope I kit comes with more than just assembly instructions. As far as some of the programming, I am kinda lost. I have worked with raspbarry pi before (Dr pinball dmd extender). But never had to hook it up to WiFi.

#656 5 years ago

even with correct config, I had to connect via ssh and launch dietpi-config to enable WiFi.

#657 5 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

I'm glad this is being sorted as I was considered a pain when having the same issue.
Any raspberrypi without ethernet will not work with wifi from a fresh install.
I guess unless the image is setup do so.
I had to buy a B+ with ethernet/wifi and SSH & setup the sd card on the B+ and then transfer the SD to the A+.

you can set up any raspberry pi headless by simply pre configuring the wpa_supplicant.conf and placing on the sd card boot drive. When the pi boots it will copy it over and connect to your wifi. You can also add a .ssh file for it to enable ssh.

You can also ssh in via the gpio uart rx/tx pins via a usb serial adaptor

(disclaimer this was on previous generation of rasbian not sure if still exists, but would be surprised if they removed this useful functionality)

Regards
Russell

#658 5 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

you can set up any raspberry pi headless by simply pre configuring the wpa_supplicant.conf and placing on the sd card boot drive. When the pi boots it will copy it over and connect to your wifi. You can also add a .ssh file for it to enable ssh.
You can also ssh in via the gpio uart rx/tx pins via a usb serial adaptor
(disclaimer this was on previous generation of rasbian not sure if still exists, but would be surprised if they removed this useful functionality)
Regards
Russell

Have you tried wpa_supplicant.conf as I have and it does not seem to work?

#659 5 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

I guess I will hope I kit comes with more than just assembly instructions. As far as some of the programming, I am kinda lost. I have worked with raspbarry pi before (Dr pinball dmd extender). But never had to hook it up to WiFi.

DMD Extender doesn't work with wifi - I tried over and over again...

#660 5 years ago
Quoted from Twister:

I have the same problem with WIFI. Edit dietpi-wifi.txt and dietpi.txt as descriped from Michael. But there is no wifi connection.
If I start dietpi-config, connected with ethernet cable, I can connect to wifi, and the SSID and password is accepted from the dietpi-wifi.txt. After this, the wifi works correct. I think this is a general problem, but I don´t know why. A friend of me from UK forum have the same problem.

I had run into the same problem with my Raspi. Turned out that ...

The WiFi settings in dietpi.txt are only applied during 1st run setup. After that point, you would need to change details with dietpi-config, or, edit /etc/network/interfaces on the ext4 2nd parition.

https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=1129

Using dietpie-config as described by steve45 will work.

#661 5 years ago

Hi all,
I put together a v2.2 board but can't get any sound out of it. Sound works on the rapsberry (3.5 mini jack) and wifi is ok.
Service starts and all but the sound output seems ok.
Is there a way to test the dac & amps so I can try to trace the problem?

#662 5 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

I went about it as follows:
- connect to RaspberryPi via SSH
- login as user "pi" password "raspberry"
- type "sudo -s" to gain root access
- type "dietpi-config"
- choose "Network Options: Adapters" to set SSID and WiFi password. Also make sure WiFi adapter is enabled
- choose "Save all changes and restart networking"

This worked fine for me...

#663 5 years ago

I must be a complete idiot, because i am unable to launch dietpi-config, when following the guide. Here is my output from Putty. Perhaps i am just in the wrong directory?

login as: pi
[email protected]'s password:

The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software;
the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the
individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.

Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent
permitted by applicable law.
-bash: /DietPi/dietpi/func/dietpi-globals: No such file or directory
-bash: /DietPi/dietpi/login: No such file or directory
pi@DietPi:~ $ sudo -s
bash: /DietPi/dietpi/func/dietpi-globals: No such file or directory
bash: /DietPi/dietpi/login: No such file or directory
root@DietPi:/home/pi# ^C
root@DietPi:/home/pi# dietpi-config
bash: dietpi-config: command not found
root@DietPi:/home/pi#

Any thoughts? I know that this isn't very Tilt!Audio specific, but i'm thinking there could be others that would benefit from the info, if i am just making some simple mistake?

#664 5 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

Have you tried wpa_supplicant.conf as I have and it does not seem to work?

Yup many times, but not on the latest version.

its still in there documentation so should work
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/headless.md

#665 5 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Yup many times, but not on the latest version.
its still in there documentation so should work
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/configuration/wireless/headless.md

Strange . I did use v1.24.
Well I'm up and running now but will see if I can get it to work on another pi.

#666 5 years ago

Anyone manage to get the java conversion program working.
Does run but does not produce anything in the config file?

#667 5 years ago

Hmm, my wifi problem is getting weirder and weirder! It seems that my "BOOT" partion (the windows one) includes the dietpi directory, and in that folder the dietpi-config file is found.

I don't have any way of reading the linux partion, but when i SSH to the pi, i can see the dietpi directory. But when i enter it there are no files.

So it is as if my image is totally screwed up?

The strange thing is that the Tilt!Audio botts just fine from the SD, and the WEB-UI loads and can play sound...

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#668 5 years ago

@steve45,

I was wondering if you had thought at all about supporting Spooky games, specifically AMH. It wouldn't be for a replacement board in this case, but strictly for an improvement in audio quality.

Prior to seeing your project, I very briefly played around with code on a Pi, but I really don't have to run with it myself.

#669 5 years ago
Quoted from Twister:

It is easier for configuration, and better usability. For example you can very easy test and configure your shaker sequence, just search your sound when shaker should be activated, and type your shaker sequence. Also you can direct make the test.

So, if I don't care about using a shaker, do I have to set up WiFi? Sounds like that's where most people problems are

#670 5 years ago

the webui is really useful as you can change the sound set, change settings, grab log file..

but at the end, if everything works well, no need to use WiFi or the webui.

#671 5 years ago

That's what I was wondering.
Could it be added later, when I am a little more comfortable with the WiFi set up process?

#672 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMario:

Hi all,
I put together a v2.2 board but can't get any sound out of it. Sound works on the rapsberry (3.5 mini jack) and wifi is ok.
Service starts and all but the sound output seems ok.
Is there a way to test the dac & amps so I can try to trace the problem?

You have to turn it on in one of the setings in tiltaudio web screen config.

#673 5 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

So, if I don't care about using a shaker, do I have to set up WiFi? Sounds like that's where most people problems are

You dont need to use WiFi or the web ui if you don’t want to. It just makes a lot of the settings and volume tweaking a lot easier. But practically every setting can be adjusted via the config files directly on the sd card. That is how it was done previously.

But when Steve added the Web UI he took the usability to a whole other level.

Personally I really want WiFi enabled as that will allow me to put my laptop on a table or machine next to the one I am tweaking. And then be able to tweak and adjust sounds with the Tilt!Audio card mounted in the machine, and listening to the sounds being played on the pinball machines own speakers.

And everyone else seems to have no problems when logging in via SSH, but for some strange reason I just have no luck launching dietpi-config.

#674 5 years ago

Yeah, that's an awesome option, but for me, what you just send loses me. I read how to load deitpi, little confused and what's SSH? This stuff is where I get confused

#675 5 years ago

ssh is a protocol to connect to the pi when it's running
you can install putty that allows to enter the ip on port 22 with pi as login and raspberry as password

it can work through Ethernet or WiFi, you just need to know the IP (maybe on your router interface)

#676 5 years ago

Did anyone get this alternative voltage regulator? I put 12v on p1-12 and that doesn't seem to work.

E2676785-ACB2-4A36-86B9-055D9DB00E39 (resized).jpegE2676785-ACB2-4A36-86B9-055D9DB00E39 (resized).jpeg
#677 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Hmm, my wifi problem is getting weirder and weirder! It seems that my "BOOT" partion (the windows one) includes the dietpi directory, and in that folder the dietpi-config file is found.
I don't have any way of reading the linux partion, but when i SSH to the pi, i can see the dietpi directory. But when i enter it there are no files.
So it is as if my image is totally screwed up?
The strange thing is that the Tilt!Audio botts just fine from the SD, and the WEB-UI loads and can play sound...[quoted image]

Within linux (connect via ssh) the windows partition is mounted into /boot and is only accessible as root. So maybe you don't see files just because you're not root. Anyway as long as it works. Normally when you log in the dietpi, you get the dietpi-config offered as the login banner / welcome message. Its a program, a script you can start.

#678 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

steve45,
I was wondering if you had thought at all about supporting Spooky games, specifically AMH. It wouldn't be for a replacement board in this case, but strictly for an improvement in audio quality.
Prior to seeing your project, I very briefly played around with code on a Pi, but I really don't have to run with it myself.

Would love to support these games, but I actually only know them from the net. Never saw one in reality. Are schematics available for spooky games?
/Steve

#679 5 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Yeah, that's an awesome option, but for me, what you just send loses me. I read how to load deitpi, little confused and what's SSH? This stuff is where I get confused

When it's correctly setup first time, by enter SSID / password for your wifi, you normally don't need to ssh to the pi. So it you should be able to set it up just by editing a few files.

#680 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

Did anyone get this alternative voltage regulator? I put 12v on p1-12 and that doesn't seem to work.
[quoted image]

Really? I tested these. Lower left (blank wire) is input 12V from supply. Lower right is output 5V in this case. You may need to put some load on the output. But only the DAC modul should be enough. So if the DAC moduls yellow led is on, it should be good.
/Steve

#681 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Would love to support these games, but I actually only know them from the net. Never saw one in reality. Are schematics available for spooky games?
/Steve

I think this is the board used in these machines

http://longhornengineer.com/category/projects/hardware/pinball/pinheck-pinball/
https://github.com/LonghornEngineer/Pinheck_Pinball_System
https://www.benheck.com/americas-most-haunted-making-of/

#682 5 years ago

That is correct.

A bit more info. The game code runs on the PIC microcontroller, while the Parallax Propeller is the AV controller. Between them is a UART interface. The PIC sends commands for things like play music, play sound clip, stop sound clip, play video, stop video, etc. Unfortunately, they are on the same board, so there is not a convenient connector to hook into and snoop.

#683 5 years ago
Quoted from herg:

That is correct.
A bit more info. The game code runs on the PIC microcontroller, while the Parallax Propeller is the AV controller. Between them is a UART interface. The PIC sends commands for things like play music, play sound clip, stop sound clip, play video, stop video, etc. Unfortunately, they are on the same board, so there is not a convenient connector to hook into and snoop.

The propeller code is open source so maybe you could modify the code in a way to use the audio jack to send commands to the pi.

#684 5 years ago

The little bit of playing around that I did, I used the USB UART that is connected to the Propeller. Going with either that or the audio jack would limit it to only AMH, though.

#685 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Really? I tested these. Lower left (blank wire) is input 12V from supply. Lower right is output 5V in this case. You may need to put some load on the output. But only the DAC modul should be enough. So if the DAC moduls yellow led is on, it should be good.
/Steve

Ah, one of the amps was bad. Looks like it's booting on 12V just fine with the one amp off.

#686 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

When it's correctly setup first time, by enter SSID / password for your wifi, you normally don't need to ssh to the pi. So it you should be able to set it up just by editing a few files.

Just editing those lines never worked for me.
I tried numerous times using different firmware versions .
Three different raspberrypi's
Only using ssh via ethernet did it setup wifi.

#687 5 years ago
Quoted from Vimtoman:

Just editing those lines never worked for me.
I tried numerous times using different firmware versions .
Three different raspberrypi's
Only using ssh via ethernet did it setup wifi.

Maybe I need to check what the dietpi people are doing here and tweak their scripts to make it more convenient. Or create a wpa_supplicant like tool for windows that just puts the right file onto the ad card

#688 5 years ago

I actually got wifi working now

My image must have been bad somehow, as i were never able to run dietpi-config. And it wasn't offered to me when logging in via SSH. But via help from Vimtoman and a new image i got it working

After that i tried downloading the small 1.24 image again for smaller SD cards, as that would be more ideal to me. And even though i think the windows partition in that image is broken somehow (it isn't readable in windows at all), it works and boots in the Pi. I then tried logging in again via SSH, and i was then presented with a "dietpi intro/menu" that told me i could run dietpi-config. So i entered "sudo dietpi-config", and the config script launched! And then it was only a matter of turning on wifi, selecting SSID and entering the correct password. And after removing the ethernet cable and rebooting, i now have WiFi!!

So only "problem" now is the non working windows partition in the small image (if there is supposed to be one?), but this isn't actually a problem, as the Pi reads all data (including update files) from the connected USB stick.

Now i just need to find out if i can actually change the host name to something like STTNG so that i don't have to remember the IP address when connecting.

Thank you to everyone who helped out. It really was extremely simple, one i wasn't working with a corrupt / faulty image. Something must have gone wrong when i tried making the 16gb small enough to fit my 16gb cards.

#689 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

My image must have been bad somehow, as i were never able to run dietpi-config. And it wasn't offered to me when logging in via SSH. But via help from Vimtoman and a new image i got it working
After that i tried downloading the small 1.24 image again for smaller SD cards, as that would be more ideal to me. And even though i think the windows partition in that image is broken somehow (it isn't readable in windows at all), it works and boots in the Pi. I then tried logging in again via SSH, and i was then presented with a "dietpi intro/menu" that told me i could run dietpi-config. So i entered "sudo dietpi-config", and the config script launched! And then it was only a matter of turning on wifi, selecting SSID and entering the correct password. And after removing the ethernet cable and rebooting, i now have WiFi!!
So only "problem" now is the non working windows partition in the small image (if there is supposed to be one?), but this isn't actually a problem, as the Pi reads all data (including update files) from the connected USB stick.
Now i just need to find out if i can actually change the host name to something like STTNG so that i don't have to remember the IP address when connecting.
Thank you to everyone who helped out. It really was extremely simple, one i wasn't working with a corrupt / faulty image. Something must have gone wrong when i tried making the 16gb small enough to fit my 16gb cards.

Great news that this is working!!

#690 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

After that i tried downloading the small 1.24 image again for smaller SD cards, as that would be more ideal to me. And even though i think the windows partition in that image is broken somehow (it isn't readable in windows at all), it works and boots in the Pi.

This is not a bug, it's a feature

The small image is without Windows partition.It is for use with USB Stick

#691 5 years ago

hi steve, any idea when you will be able to get together a detailed step by step video, or right up, of how to load all of the programming? i think that would help programming newbies, like myself. i am sure once we do it once, it will be pretty simple. something like this might help us get our feet wet.

#692 5 years ago

What exactly are you looking for, in terms of "programming"? I probably won't be able to do a video, but i would be more than happy to perhaps do a write-up of how to get started. But i need to know what you mean exactly, and how far you've come already?

#693 5 years ago

Well, I'm still waiting for delivery of the data east version. Assembly I'm sure sure is pretty straight forward.
Loading all required stuff on the SD card and putting them in the right files., I guess a step by step on how/where to get files and correct placement would be a help. Or is it kinda self explanatory when I receive the kit?

#694 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Great news my image worked OK.
I dont think Steve45's image is the problem but the process of burning that image using WIN32diskimager to produce it.
I obviously still used Steve45's but just used Linux to produce that onto the SD.
There's definitely an issue with files being written to the SD card via the raspberrypi, "Logs" mainly I guess as this may be where the corruption starts.

#695 5 years ago

Strange thing is that I used win32diskimager for the two images that actually worked also.

#696 5 years ago

Can all of these processes be accomplished on a Mac?

#697 5 years ago
Quoted from WW2GURU:

Can all of these processes be accomplished on a Mac?

Yeah, maybe easier since ssh is built in. you don't need to run putty or whatever to get into the pi.

#698 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Strange thing is that I used win32diskimager for the two images that actually worked also.

I know that because you used my image.
Yes I used win32diskimager to produce the one you used but that was 1.5Gb in size.
Steve45's process to make the image produces a file 400mb in size.
Using win32diskimager to burn Stebe45's to a SD card produces a corrupt card but using Linux it does not.

Theres something iffy about win32diskinager and Steve45's image processing.

He probably uses dd cmd in linux, Nothing wrong with what he is doing it's just a compatibility issue with win32diskimager

#699 5 years ago

use etcher instead of win32d

#700 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

use etcher instead of win32d

Good to know thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 45.95
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
FlipMods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Portland, ME
$ 30.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Bethlehem, PA
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 14 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/14?hl=phantasize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.