rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 41.
#601 5 years ago

I was just told about this project. Ill be waiting to hear bout your latest release

#602 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

I'm suffering from slow parts delivery from China. Today I shipped a few and hopefully some more over the weekend, but there are still some in the waiting queue. Sorry for that.
Also there will be a new release also with new hardware soon, but first I need to settle the annoying dispute with the Frenchmen. This also eats up time and money unfortunately.
So please give me some time ... Steve

Aah geez .. sorry this is even an issue Steve. Hopefully you get it worked out soon. Or dropped/ignored or whatever must happen

#603 5 years ago

Hi Steve. I have tried to find out in this thread but have to ask. I have your V1.9 and software 1.24 and tested with Getaway edited version and works in test. So how will it come with your brand new version and mapping when I have a Bally Corvette? Will I have to get the new kit or will you provide mapping to Corvette when you have finished your new version that also fits older builds? Is mapping possible to get maybe before you are finished with your new version?
Keep up the awesome work.

#604 5 years ago
Quoted from gottodrifta:

Hi Steve. I have tried to find out in this thread but have to ask. I have your V1.9 and software 1.24 and tested with Getaway edited version and works in test. So how will it come with your brand new version and mapping when I have a Bally Corvette? Will I have to get the new kit or will you provide mapping to Corvette when you have finished your new version that also fits older builds? Is mapping possible to get maybe before you are finished with your new version?
Keep up the awesome work.

Yes and yes, ... Seriously it will also work with older hardware but things are moving, so the actual plan is to go with an alternative sound format the VPin community created recently as alternative to play sounds from disk instead of emulated sounds.
This format will also be supported with version 1.25 and newer and I'm sure you will find sounds for your machine.
As soon as you have it running, send me a note.

#605 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Yes and yes, ... Seriously it will also work with older hardware but things are moving, so the actual plan is to go with an alternative sound format the VPin community created recently as alternative to play sounds from disk instead of emulated sounds.
This format will also be supported with version 1.25 and newer and I'm sure you will find sounds for your machine.
As soon as you have it running, send me a note.

What’s the new format? Please tell me it supports Data East Series 2!

#606 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What’s the new format? Please tell me it supports Data East Series 2!

nothing special about specific machine types. Its just an super generic and easy to use way for handling sound packages for pinballs. The vpin guys invented it. Its based on a table structure, that defines all meta attributes in a row for each sound effect. Maybe I missed something but what is so special with Data East Series 2?

#607 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

nothing special about specific machine types. Its just an super generic and easy to use way for handling sound packages for pinballs. The vpin guys invented it. Its based on a table structure, that defines all meta attributes in a row for each sound effect. Maybe I missed something but what is so special with Data East Series 2?

Nothing really - but it’s not supported by the guys from Western Western Europe, and I have a POTO i’d like to enhance..

#608 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Nothing really - but it’s not supported by the guys from Western Western Europe, and I have a POTO i’d like to enhance..

Okay I check the schmatics, this is a data east ver 2 mpu that has a slightly different interface to the mpu. That's different indeed to DE rev. 3. But I was talking of a sound format, that can be used which is independent of machine type and hardware interface.

I looks not that difficult to adapt though, but without having a machine at hand to test and measure, I really cannot say if RasPiSound will work or how much work it will be to adjust. You could use one of my old data east only pcbs and just try.

/Steve

#609 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Okay I check the schmatics, this is a data east ver 2 mpu that has a slightly different interface to the mpu. That's different indeed to DE rev. 3. But I was talking of a sound format, that can be used which is independent of machine type and hardware interface.
I looks not that difficult to adapt though, but without having a machine at hand to test and measure, I really cannot say if RasPiSound will work or how much work it will be to adjust. You could use one of my old data east only pcbs and just try.
/Steve

Understood - thanks for the clarification!

#610 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

but first I need to settle the annoying dispute with the Frenchmen.

Can you talk about what the dispute is?

#611 5 years ago

Pinsound (French product) Versus Raspinsound (steve's one)

#612 5 years ago
Quoted from Bendit:

Can you talk about what the dispute is?

In one sentence: the Frenchmen don't like the fact that there is a competitor.
Even though I don't see my project as a direct competitive product. RasPiSound still requires some diy work and it's still lacking an easy to use documentation.
Capability wise it's indeed comparable and even have some unique features like the new ui and it's quite cheap.
Also they don't like the idea of somebody using sounds from their community website other than with their products. Even though all the good sound mixes are created by community guys and not them.
Nevertheless they decided to threaten me legally and we spent hours and lots of euros with law firms with only little or zero outcome so far. Its a shame spending money and time on that instead of improving the products.
Let's see where it will end.
One thing's for sure: the name will change.
RasPiSound from their perspective is to similar and could confuse customers.
New name will hopefully revealed soon, but anything else is still in discussion.

#613 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

In one sentence: the Frenchmen don't like the fact that there is a competitor.
Even though I don't see my project as a direct competitive product. RasPiSound still requires some diy work and it's still lacking an easy to use documentation.
Capability wise it's indeed comparable and even have some unique features like the new ui and it's quite cheap.
Also they don't like the idea of somebody using sounds from their community website other than with their products. Even though all the good sound mixes are created by community guys and not them.
Nevertheless they decided to threaten me legally and we spent hours and lots of euros with law firms with only little or zero outcome so far. Its a shame spending money and time on that instead of improving the products.
Let's see where it will end.
One thing's for sure: the name will change.
RasPiSound from their perspective is to similar and could confuse customers.
New name will hopefully revealed soon, but anything else is still in discussion.

I hope this ends up working out - I understand the French brothers not wanting to see a competitor. But you are right - these are not similar at all. Plus the sound dumps can be created using M1, so I don't see that being an issue. Also, they do not own the sounds, so WTF.

I don't know how trademarks work in Europe, but in the US if there is marketplace confusion, the trademark owner is obligated to take action. On the other hand, you are basically just selling parts and some software you put together. I don't see how it is similar.

Too bad they have to do this, I own 4 PinSounds, and this puts a very bad taste in my mouth. Plus they have not delivered on several promised products AND keep raising prices. I can not DIY PinSound as much as this board, which is why I like it so much. Good luck Steve, this is obviously pretty much nonsense.

1 week later
#614 5 years ago

Are there any assembly notes for ver2.2? In your pictures it's not obvious what the values are for r1/r2/r3, capacitor location and which pins are not connected for the amps and i2s module. Thanks

Edit: After diving a little deeper, I cannot find this cap or resistor in anyone else pictures. Any ideas??

15531928087902133131388 (resized).jpg15531928087902133131388 (resized).jpg
#615 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Are there any assembly notes for ver2.2? In your pictures it's not obvious what the values are for r1/r2/r3, capacitor location and which pins are not connected for the amps and i2s module. Thanks
Edit: After diving a little deeper, I cannot find this cap or resistor in anyone else pictures. Any ideas??[quoted image]

These are for the new function querying the cabinet pot for data east. Resistor is R3 near the other two under the amps. Cap is in the corner, GND opposite side of connectors.

#616 5 years ago

tiltaudio3s (resized).pngtiltaudio3s (resized).pngAs some of you may already know, the name of this project will change. The new name will be TILT!Audio.

As birthday presents for TILT!Audio I have
- a brand new firmware 1.25 with lots of improvements in the ui, bugfixes for WPC and a improved whistestar compatibility.
- you can find all information about TILT!Audio on the new website https://tiltaudio.com/
- additional offer for users would have purchased a kit / license: a slack team tiltaudio.slack.com with more internal information, preview versions, remaining stock and more. To join TILT!Audio team use: https://join.slack.com/t/tiltaudio/shared_invite/enQtNTYyMTI0MDU5MTM3LTdkZGU3N2Q0MTVmYzM2ZWM0MDk4MTI2Mjk0OGMwMWY2MjBhZDliZjBiYzg3OTMzODY4ZTJmYmI1MWM1ODVkNGM
- a brand new kit, that can replace the original sound board directly. Place your order here if you like: https://go-dmd.de/shop (depending on the number of requests please expect some delay is delivery up to 3-4 weeks).

Finally some impressions of the new web UI, where you can configure all yours sound, shaker or serial media. You can control recording, playback, inspect logfiles to see what's going on (also live while playing), switch sound sets, audio devices. Add Soundpacks or update your firmware and much more all via a simple to use browser interface.
ta-ui1 (resized).jpegta-ui1 (resized).jpegta-ui2 (resized).jpegta-ui2 (resized).jpegta-ui3 (resized).jpegta-ui3 (resized).jpegta-ui4 (resized).jpegta-ui4 (resized).jpegta-ui5 (resized).jpegta-ui5 (resized).jpeg

Latest firmware 1.25 will be available in the upcoming week on bintray. You can find the latest release candidate 1.25rc4 here: https://mega.nz/#!88AVxAgY!5FSCodJ9FQEGe3DwT4g8k63Qh7bamsaZYueH-ZZ8sBA

Hope you have fun. /Steve

#617 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

[quoted image]As some of you may already know, the name of this project will change. The new name will be TILT!Audio.
As birthday presents for TILT!Audio I have
- a brand new firmware 1.25 with lots of improvements in the ui, bugfixes for WPC and a improved whistestar compatibility.
- you can find all information about TILT!Audio on the new website https://tiltaudio.com/
- additional offer for users would have purchased a kit / license: a slack team tiltaudio.slack.com with more internal information, preview versions, remaining stock and more. To join TILT!Audio team use: https://join.slack.com/t/tiltaudio/shared_invite/enQtNTYyMTI0MDU5MTM3LTdkZGU3N2Q0MTVmYzM2ZWM0MDk4MTI2Mjk0OGMwMWY2MjBhZDliZjBiYzg3OTMzODY4ZTJmYmI1MWM1ODVkNGM
- a brand new kit, that can replace the original sound board directly. Place your order here if you like: https://go-dmd.de/shop (depending on the number of requests please expect some delay is delivery up to 3-4 weeks).
Finally some impressions of the new web UI, where you can configure all yours sound, shaker or serial media. You can control recording, playback, inspect logfiles to see what's going on (also live while playing), switch sound sets, audio devices. Add Soundpacks or update your firmware and much more all via a simple to use browser interface.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Latest firmware 1.25 will be available in the upcoming week on bintray. You can find the latest release candidate 1.25rc4 here: https://mega.nz/#!88AVxAgY!5FSCodJ9FQEGe3DwT4g8k63Qh7bamsaZYueH-ZZ8sBA
Hope you have fun. /Steve

This is great news Steve! For those of us with previous built kits, does this image still work, or
Is the nEw board required?

#618 5 years ago

it works with old board.

great work Steve and welcome tilt audio !!

#619 5 years ago

Can someone explain the install process and what is needed. I would like to explore this option instead of pinsound. I can definitely build the kit, but just a little confused of how it works with data east. Do I just order the new kit, then buy a raspbarry pi?

#620 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

it works with old board.
great work Steve and welcome tilt audio !!

Fantastic!!

#621 5 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Can someone explain the install process and what is needed. I would like to explore this option instead of pinsound. I can definitely build the kit, but just a little confused of how it works with data east. Do I just order the new kit, then buy a raspbarry pi?

let Steve know which pi you are using, order and build the kit, image your SDCard, install, configure, play!

#622 5 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

For DataEast you of course need to build the kit, with data east it uses the 12V power from the machine directly. The connectors on the board are already in the right position, so you can just replace the original board. Then order a pi (pi3 is best) flash a sd card with TILT!Audio image, find suitable sounds for your machine and copy them to the sd card as well (alternatively you can use usb stick for sound). Optionally (but recommended) configure wifi credentials.

Put everything together and you're good to go. After testing you need to purchase a license key to run it permanently (not needed for testing).

I will put together a video if I have time, but its not that complicated.

/Steve

#623 5 years ago

Thanks Steve, I will be purchasing

#624 5 years ago

Ok, if I just order a complete kit, then do I also have order a acrylic mounting plate for data east. Or does it come with the kit? Also is there anything else I need from you other than the license?

#625 5 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Ok, if I just order a complete kit, then do I also have order a acrylic mounting plate for data east. Or does it come with the kit? Also is there anything else I need from you other than the license?

No, acrylic plate isn't necessary anymore as the new PCB itself replaces the original sound board with same mounting wholes. For data east you need a kit, a license, a raspberry pi and a sd card.

#626 5 years ago

Great, sounds good

#627 5 years ago

Just ordered a 2.5 kit. Wasn’t sure if I needed to add the TiltAudio license at the time of purchase. I didn’t as I need to buy a Pi still.

Hopefully I can get this all together. I ordered one of your original kits but it didn’t materialize and you refunded me. Looking forward to attempt #2!

#628 5 years ago

I did the same today. Ordered, still gotta buy license and pi. Only thing I still have to figure out is how to load the card with the right stuff. Got a PM into Steve as we speak.
Unless someone here can simplify the process of getting everything loaded, beyond assembly

#629 5 years ago

quite easy in fact.
- download the IMG file
- use a card flashing tool ( I'm using etcher or win32disk imager) to burn the IMG on a 16/32 GB microsd. some card appear too small, so go for a 32 if you can to avoid this issue
- once flashed, you should have 2 partitions in the file browser. in data, you will have to put the licence key, the sound folder and edit the raspinsound config file. check out go-dmd website for this part. you also need to add WiFi credential in the dedicated file at the sdcard root (dietpi-wifi if I remember well)
- plug the pi to the pinball with the shield and launch.

the pi should connect to the WiFi and appear in your router interface , you should be able to connect through your internet browser at IP:31008

#630 5 years ago

Ok, were do I download all these files from? IMG and so on.

#631 5 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

Ok, were do I download all these files from? IMG and so on.

post #616 ^^^

https://tiltaudio.com/

images can be downloaded here: https://dl.bintray.com/sker65/RasPiSound/
or Steve's store at go-dmd.de

#632 5 years ago

How backed up are kit orders?

#633 5 years ago
Quoted from Kneissl:

How backed up are kit orders?

What do you mean by "how backed up"? There's nobody here on Pinside or in the German Flippermarkt that did not receive the kits in a reasonable time. Sometimes I depend on Chinese suppliers and other than that you pay by PayPal and you can request refund at any time.
Br Steve

#634 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

What do you mean by "how backed up"? There's nobody here on Pinside or in the German Flippermarkt that did not receive the kits in a reasonable time. Sometimes I depend on Chinese suppliers and other than that you pay by PayPal and you can request refund at any time.
Br Steve

He ships fast, don't worry, it's not like some mods where there's months of waiting involved

#635 5 years ago

agree,
just keep in mind, as stated everywhere that this is a dyi project. you need to put some efforts in it, no plug n play

#636 5 years ago

Figures.. Arrived today, slow post office

#637 5 years ago

I am more than capable of doing the assembly. But everyone keeps posting the computer portion is easy. I'm sure it will be, once I do it the first time. I definitely will put the effort in and Steve seems great so that's why I ordered. Just going to take loading the programs step by step when I receive the stuff. I'm am sure if I need help Steve or someone here can answer some questions

#638 5 years ago

and you will have answers

#639 5 years ago

Hi Steve

First of congratulations with the new project name and revision 2.5. This really looks like some awesome progress!

One small question: You mentioned a change in the way soundsets were read / used, and no longer needing the descramble files. Can you tell us a little bit more about this? Will we be able to use existing soundsets, and if yes, will the descramble files be needed?

Once again thank you so much for contributing to the community with these projects!

Oh, and one last thing: I think that now that there is a dedicated page for Tilt!Audio, it would be really nice if there were a dedicated download section on that page, as it can be a little tricky to know where to get image and update files unless you follow this forum

#640 5 years ago

Will the diagram (eagle, etc.) 2.5 also be available ??

#641 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Oh, and one last thing: I think that now that there is a dedicated page for Tilt!Audio, it would be really nice if there were a dedicated download section on that page, as it can be a little tricky to know where to get image and update files unless you follow this forum

That's indeed true, I will add that soon.

#642 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

Will the diagram (eagle, etc.) 2.5 also be available ??

It already is: please look at https://easyeda.com/steve45/

I need to rename the lastest to TILT!Audio as well but ...

/Steve

#643 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

It already is: please look at https://easyeda.com/steve45/
I need to rename the lastest to TILT!Audio as well but ...
/Steve

Thanks

#644 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

you also need to add WiFi credential in the dedicated file at the sdcard root (dietpi-wifi if I remember well)
- plug the pi to the pinball with the shield and launch.
the pi should connect to the WiFi and appear in your router interface , you should be able to connect through your internet browser at IP:31008

No matter what i try, i just can not get it to connect to my wifi. If i plug in an ethernet cable, i can connect and open the web-ui just fine.

I edited the dietpi.txt file and set AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_ENABLED=1

I then edit the dietpi-wifi.txt and use the following:

# - Entry 0
# WiFi SSID (Case Sensitive)
aWIFI_SSID[0]="ASUS_Guest1"
# Key options: If no key (open), leave this blank
aWIFI_KEY[0]=""
# Available options: NONE (no key/open) | WPA-PSK | WEP | WPA-EAP (then use settings below)
aWIFI_KEYMGR[0]="NONE"

I used a completely open network just to eliminate security issues, but i also tested with an encrypted network. My router says the security method is "WPA", so i am guessing that would mean i have to set aWIFI_KEYMGR[0]="WPA-PSK".

The one thing that bothers me the most though, is this line from the dietpi.txt:

# DietPi-Automation settings, applied on the 1st boot of DietPi, ONCE

Does this mean that changes to the file is not read when the image have been burned, and the PI booted for the first time? Because i am not 100% sure that i edited the file before the first boot. So perhaps wifi isn't enabled? But i am pretty sure i made sure to edit it before putting the card in the PI for the first time.

Just wanted to hear if any of you had answers. Otherwise i will have to try the dietpi forum.

#645 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

No matter what i try, i just can not get it to connect to my wifi. If i plug in an ethernet cable, i can connect and open the web-ui just fine.
I edited the dietpi.txt file and set AUTO_SETUP_NET_WIFI_ENABLED=1
I then edit the dietpi-wifi.txt and use the following:
# - Entry 0
# WiFi SSID (Case Sensitive)
aWIFI_SSID[0]="ASUS_Guest1"
# Key options: If no key (open), leave this blank
aWIFI_KEY[0]=""
# Available options: NONE (no key/open) | WPA-PSK | WEP | WPA-EAP (then use settings below)
aWIFI_KEYMGR[0]="NONE"
I used a completely open network just to eliminate security issues, but i also tested with an encrypted network. My router says the security method is "WPA", so i am guessing that would mean i have to set aWIFI_KEYMGR[0]="WPA-PSK".
The one thing that bothers me the most though, is this line from the dietpi.txt:
# DietPi-Automation settings, applied on the 1st boot of DietPi, ONCE
Does this mean that changes to the file is not read when the image have been burned, and the PI booted for the first time? Because i am not 100% sure that i edited the file before the first boot. So perhaps wifi isn't enabled? But i am pretty sure i made sure to edit it before putting the card in the PI for the first time.
Just wanted to hear if any of you had answers. Otherwise i will have to try the dietpi forum.

If you can connect wired, have you tried DietPi-Config? Has also options for wifi config. See here https://dietpi.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=9

#646 5 years ago

I have the same problem with WIFI. Edit dietpi-wifi.txt and dietpi.txt as descriped from Michael. But there is no wifi connection.
If I start dietpi-config, connected with ethernet cable, I can connect to wifi, and the SSID and password is accepted from the dietpi-wifi.txt. After this, the wifi works correct. I think this is a general problem, but I don´t know why. A friend of me from UK forum have the same problem.

#647 5 years ago

Can I ask what the point of being connected to WiFi is?

If we are just running sounds

#648 5 years ago

I will put together a video if I have time, but its not that complicated.
/Steve

Also, I think if you can put this together soon, Steve. Then it might help us first timers out a bunch. Probably save you some email questions also

#649 5 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

I'm not sure how experienced you are with raspberry pis, but it is very convenient logging in via ssh to change/reconfigure things. It certainly beats opening the back box and connecting a USB keyboard.

#650 5 years ago
Quoted from kba78:

It is easier for configuration, and better usability. For example you can very easy test and configure your shaker sequence, just search your sound when shaker should be activated, and type your shaker sequence. Also you can direct make the test.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

5,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Lake Charles, LA
$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 89.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

€ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Machine - For Sale
York, SC
$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Needville, TX
$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/13?hl=phantasize and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.