rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 41.
#551 5 years ago

Of course I will first look into the mapping problems of Benetnath IJ

#552 5 years ago

Sounds great with the output switching feature in 1.25, as i haven't been able to get USB sound working yet on 1.24.

steve45 can you perhaps tell me if we are still supposed to use the use-usb.txt file for USB output? And if yes, should it be stored on the SD card or the USB key containing the sound files? (Running 1.24)

#553 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Of course I will first look into the mapping problems of Benetnath IJ

About IJ, it might be too late, there is a german guy coming tomorrow. IJ might leave to another home !
But don't worry, there is also the whitestar support for LOTR which is nearly good, and requires your magic

#554 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Sounds great with the output switching feature in 1.25, as i haven't been able to get USB sound working yet on 1.24.
steve45 can you perhaps tell me if we are still supposed to use the use-usb.txt file for USB output? And if yes, should it be stored on the SD card or the USB key containing the sound files? (Running 1.24)

The use-usb.txt file is still required and it needs to be, like everything else, where the rest of the files are located. So if you have sounds on usb stick, config files, use-usb.txt, licenses file all needs to be on usb stick as well.

/Steve

1 week later
#555 5 years ago

Steve, I am very interested in purchasing a kit. I currently have a Lethal Weapon 3 and Data East Batman. I see that version 2 is sold out on your site. Do you have a time table for when they will be back in stock?

#556 5 years ago
Quoted from gern:

Steve, I am very interested in purchasing a kit. I currently have a Lethal Weapon 3 and Data East Batman. I see that version 2 is sold out on your site. Do you have a time table for when they will be back in stock?

If you haven’t read all of the posts you might want to read all my issues with DE and make up your mind then. Lots of issues with DE games. Hopefully they will be fixed but not really usable in my opinion.

#557 5 years ago
Quoted from gern:

Next week

#558 5 years ago

I need to have a read thru all posts,and if it works for G n R will go for it,

#559 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

If you haven’t read all of the posts you might want to read all my issues with DE and make up your mind then. Lots of issues with DE games. Hopefully they will be fixed but not really usable in my opinion.

The issues of wrong sound you had in your installation have nothing to do with general problems with dataeast. I did a lot of testing also with the help of the Pinsiders here and fixed everything.

Just check out my YouTube channel and see (or better) for yourself. The latest version even comes with a webUI that makes testing and adjusting very easy.

And of course you could always choose to go with the alternative form the french guys

Br Steve

#560 5 years ago
Quoted from poibug:

I need to have a read thru all posts,and if it works for G n R will go for it,

As gnr is normal dataeast it will work.

Br Steve

#561 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

The issues of wrong sound you had in your installation have nothing to do with general problems with dataeast. I did a lot of testing also with the help of the Pinsiders here and fixed everything.
Just check out my YouTube channel and see (or better) for yourself. The latest version even comes with a webUI that makes testing and adjusting very easy.
And of course you could always choose to go with the alternative form the french guys
Br Steve

That’s interesting because I did a ton of testing and posted several specific problems and you didn’t respond to anything and I don’t think DE has even been mentioned since then. It wasn’t just me that was having a problem. I have a buddy that also tested Star Wars and LW3 with similar results. I even pointed out many problems in you JP video but got no response from you. I will try the new version and see if anything g has changed.

#562 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

As gnr is normal dataeast it will work.
Br Steve

Thank you for the quick reply! I'm definitely going to buy one!

Has anyone tried it on a de Batman? It's older than lw3 so maybe it isn't supported yet.

#563 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

That’s interesting because I did a ton of testing and posted several specific problems and you didn’t respond to anything and I don’t think DE has even been mentioned since then. It wasn’t just me that was having a problem. I have a buddy that also tested Star Wars and LW3 with similar results. I even pointed out many problems in you JP video but got no response from you. I will try the new version and see if anything g has changed.

Are you sure that the soundset you are using does not contain the "errors" you are talking about? I think you should separate between technical issues and issues that may be caused by the soundset configuration. Steve can only solve technical issues e.g. soundcommands not recognized. Wrong sound mappings can and need to be identified and fixed by yourself. Soundsets are only as good as their authors .

#564 5 years ago

New (or back) in stock: new rev 2.2 kits for RasPiSound!

New hardware version 2.2 features:

• new hifi dac using i2s sound, no need for extra usb sound, no extra cable
  • better data east support, as you can connect the old volume pot directly (comp. connector)

20190209_122937x (resized).jpg20190209_122937x (resized).jpg

Br Steve

#565 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Are you sure that the soundset you are using does not contain the "errors" you are talking about? I think you should separate between technical issues and issues that may be caused by the soundset configuration. Steve can only solve technical issues e.g. soundcommands not recognized. Wrong sound mappings can and need to be identified and fixed by yourself. Soundsets are only as good as their authors .

As stated in my testing posts. I only use default sound sets for testing and I run the Raspi board and the original board at the same time so I hear exactly what is supposed to be played from the real board and the raspi at the same time.i have done this with multiple titles.

#566 5 years ago
Quoted from Lonzo:

As stated in my testing posts. I only use default sound sets for testing and I run the Raspi board and the original board at the same time so I hear exactly what is supposed to be played from the real board and the raspi at the same time.i have done this with multiple titles.

Are you sure that all sounds from the "default" soundsets are categorized and mapped correctly ? Do you have examples like "it is playing this sound ID but should be playing this sound ID ? Maybe you are missing a data line due to a solder error or defective component.

#567 5 years ago
Quoted from lucky1:

Are you sure that all sounds from the "default" soundsets are categorized and mapped correctly ? Do you have examples like "it is playing this sound ID but should be playing this sound ID ? Maybe you are missing a data line due to a solder error or defective component.

Yes. I have provided those details and confirmed it with another user. The sound sets are from Pinsound with mapping files from Steve.

I haven’t had a chance to try the newest version.
I have checked every single solder point and verified every connection. I asked if a chip problem could cause this and was told no.

#568 5 years ago

My 2 cents:

I think one of the issues here could be, that we are very dependent on the correct mapping files. And some of the mapping files Steve made earlier had some errors in them that meant some of the sounds were mapped incorrectly. In theory it should be possible to make these our selves, or place the sounds in "non-scrambled" folder names. But this is a humongous task, which is why having the mapping files makes a whole lot of difference.

But by supplying Steve with 3-4 examples of what sound ID was playing, and what sound ID should have been playing, he was able to track down the errors in the mapping files and correct them. I know this because i went through it with Steve for the CFTBL soundsets, where i was comparing the sound set in a "french" setup with the exact same sound set in a RasPiSound setup. And that is actually even better (in my book) than comparing the original soundboard and ROMs to the RasPiSound setup, as this uses the exact same sound set with the exact same categorisations and samples. Remember that there is no guarantee that a sound set is 100% as the original, even if it is labeled as such.

So the more accurate data we can supply, the better Steve can work with it. And this goes for both mapping files, as well as correcting errors. In the 3-4 examples where i have been able to supply Steve with "good data", he have been able to pinpoint and correct the issue within a few days. But i know it can be hard, difficult, and time consuming coming up with some very concrete examples with IDs and stuff.

Still, i really hope this projects makes it the rest of the way to that elusive "100% correct" emulation

Hope the above ramble makes sense, despite my crappy english

#569 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

new hifi dac using i2s sound, no need for extra usb sound, no extra cable

steve45 can you clarify a couple of things for me:

1. With the new hifi dac, is the RaspiSound shield doing the actual sound reproduction (Via the GPIO), instead of the Pi?

2. If yes to the above question, what is the minijack on the new hifi dac used for? Is it an output so that you can connect something like PC speakers / headphones to it if you want?

#570 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

steve45 can you clarify a couple of things for me:
1. With the new hifi dac, is the RaspiSound shield doing the actual sound reproduction (Via the GPIO), instead of the Pi?
2. If yes to the above question, what is the minijack on the new hifi dac used for? Is it an output so that you can connect something like PC speakers / headphones to it if you want?

The new shield uses the i2s (Inter-IC Sound) interface that is provided as an alternative function of some GPIO pins (like uart). The actual sound is produced by the DAC on the module. Its the same DAC as on the so called hifi-berry shield.

The mini jack is an additional outlet for sound which you could use externally as you said to connect headphones or something like that.

I attach some images to show how the fully assembled board looks like. You can mount it with PiZero, Pi3B or Pi3A. (Pi3 is recommended).

Shield 20190209_182539 (resized).jpg20190209_182539 (resized).jpg with PiZero20190209_182604 (resized).jpg20190209_182604 (resized).jpg with Pi3B underneath 20190209_182844 (resized).jpg20190209_182844 (resized).jpg with Pi3A underneath 20190209_182923 (resized).jpg20190209_182923 (resized).jpg again with Pi3A underneath20190209_182934 (resized).jpg20190209_182934 (resized).jpg

#571 5 years ago

Unfortunately, in my Road Show the new version has not changed anything, it still works as before.

logs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yLlEMcb8ET7ZwWb75Es2EgG6BSDLk_cE

#572 5 years ago

steve45 - since you’re transitioning to an easy web based system, have you considered adding a feature to opt in/out of sending the logs to you directly from the pi?

#573 5 years ago
Quoted from Wharhed:

steve45 - since you’re transitioning to an easy web based system, have you considered adding a feature to opt in/out of sending the logs to you directly from the pi?

Yes this could be included in one of the next version, but actually the webUI work also without internet connection and I wanna avoid the impression the thing is calling home all the time. But you're it might be useful in some cases with explicit persmission to upload the log directly.

#574 5 years ago
Quoted from fly:

Unfortunately, in my Road Show the new version has not changed anything, it still works as before.
logs:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yLlEMcb8ET7ZwWb75Es2EgG6BSDLk_cE

At least the logfile is long enough to see some game play. What was the problem with your roadshow?

#575 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

At least the logfile is long enough to see some game play. What was the problem with your roadshow?

#576 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

But by supplying Steve with 3-4 examples of what sound ID was playing, and what sound ID should have been playing, he was able to track down the errors in the mapping files and correct them.

It does not help just making a video of the gameplay and posting a log and then expecting Steve to know what is going wrong. He needs some examples in with IDs .

#577 5 years ago

I see some changes on Stevie's page, where can I get mapping file ??

#578 5 years ago

Big changes are coming ..

#579 5 years ago

Seems the github project have been removed, and the mapping files are no longer available from pinball-mods.de

I wonder if this means that the project have been put on hold? I would be very sad to see that...

#580 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

Seems the github project have been removed, and the mapping files are no longer available from pinball-mods.de
I wonder if this means that the project have been put on hold? I would be very sad to see that...

I hope not! Steve has such a great idea to trigger mods from this board; I would love to see that in action too.

#581 5 years ago

Just a little cleanup. No worries

#582 5 years ago

Yes, Steve is just handling some troubles with other creators
Thanks to compatriots

#583 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Yes, Steve is just handling some troubles with other creators
Thanks to compatriots

? Pin2dmd or sound related creators

#584 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

No worries, project will be continued. But with the next release the mapping files are no longer needed ... I'm still working on the new version 1.25 so this was just preparation work. If anybody is missing anything, just mail me.

/Steve

#585 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

No worries, project will be continued. But with the next release the mapping files are no longer needed ... I'm still working on the new version 1.25 so this was just preparation work. If anybody is missing anything, just mail me.
/Steve

Man that’s huge news!

#586 5 years ago

I purchased on Feb 9 via paypal, and didn't receive any shipping info. Any idea how long it takes to get to me in the States?

Thanks

#587 5 years ago

Sorry your kit isn't shipped yet. There were to many orders at one time. You get a notification we it goes out. US shipping takes between 1 week or 2.

Steve

#588 5 years ago

Are Data East Version 2 games supported by this or another solution? I don’t see them as supported by PinSound but wasn’t sure if that was an oversight. I’d like to upgrade the sound on a POTO but it looks like there are limited choices.

#589 5 years ago

Hey Steve

Any idea about the timeline for the new release? I am really looking forward to try it out in some machines

#590 5 years ago

The next version 1.25 is nearly finished. I need to wait for the release one to finish some tests and second to ensure the new name will be final.
The 1.25 has support for new sound pac formats, advanced sound editor functions, audio device switcher and support for 5.1 surround sound. For the latter I need to do a demo on a real machine, but this is quite time consuming.
Br Steve

#591 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

The next version 1.25 is nearly finished. I need to wait for the release one to finish some tests and second to ensure the new name will be final.
The 1.25 has support for new sound pac formats, advanced sound editor functions, audio device switcher and support for 5.1 surround sound. For the latter I need to do a demo on a real machine, but this is quite time consuming.
Br Steve

Wow!

#592 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Br Steve

Now you've got my attention!

#593 5 years ago

First hardware demo installation of surround sound, but its hard to capture the real experience on a mobile phone video. For now I only used dolby demo tracks, just to see it basically running:

There's of course some steps left to do, update the installed RasPiSound in the getaway to the latest version and then add some cool 5.1 effects e.g. when the heli hits the tunnel, jackpock explosion or of course the supercharger. I tried audacity already and it works fine, you just need to create a 6 channel wav file.

Hope you like it.

#594 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

First hardware demo installation of surround sound, but its hard to capture the real experience on a mobile phone video. For now I only used dolby demo tracks, just to see it basically running:

There's of course some steps left to do, update the installed RasPiSound in the getaway to the latest version and then add some cool 5.1 effects e.g. when the heli hits the tunnel, jackpock explosion or of course the supercharger. I tried audacity already and it works fine, you just need to create a 6 channel wav file.
Hope you like it.

Wild! How does it do 5.1 with only 3 speakers? Simulated?

Now post the new build!

#595 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wild! How does it do 5.1 with only 3 speakers? Simulated?
Now post the new build!

It's not 3 speakers, it's 5 plus subwoofer. Watch the video I installed two extra speakers near the flipper buttons and a real subwoofer on the floor under the cabinet.

Of course I would use the two backbox speakers as front left and right and the cabinet speaker as subwoofer. Center speaker on top of the backbox and rear near the buttons.

The feeling is thrilling at the players position. I need to create a real mix and do a better audio capture for the video shooting.

#596 5 years ago

Man, I messed with an early board over a year ago.. Just ordered the new 2.x board. steve45 you've been busy!

#597 5 years ago

By the way: if you plan to install surround, you can of course skip the internal amplifiers. Sound output and driving speakers is done digitally via HDMI output and an external 5.1 amplifier that also decodes the audio signal.

1 week later
#598 5 years ago

Steve, I missed out on ordering a 2.2 kit. Do you have a time table for when you'll be getting more in?

#599 5 years ago

I'm suffering from slow parts delivery from China. Today I shipped a few and hopefully some more over the weekend, but there are still some in the waiting queue. Sorry for that.

Also there will be a new release also with new hardware soon, but first I need to settle the annoying dispute with the Frenchmen. This also eats up time and money unfortunately.

So please give me some time ... Steve

#600 5 years ago

so sorry about that..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 72.50
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 18.95
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Machine - For Sale
Melbourne, ON
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 39.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 22.50
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 29.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Plastics
Mad Czar Games

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 65.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 280.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/12?hl=lucky1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.