rev-3.8-board (resized).jpg
C7BECF85-6A35-49A4-9C0C-611A6E059682 (resized).png
49C01E99-89EB-40E0-8790-5284A9D5CE12 (resized).jpeg
8B5C3740-485C-4518-B3F8-75DECB3FE0F2 (resized).jpeg
F484B39F-E731-4EA6-AF15-EDA85E40774D (resized).jpeg
6A8ECF6B-5C7C-4DB0-9B57-78787F299920 (resized).jpeg
224F7226-27C1-4E5B-8240-13940876411D (resized).jpeg
IMG_9634 (resized).JPG
There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 41.
#501 5 years ago

So i had a little time to test another mix on STTNG today (before i blew a coil! - damn it!). And it was much much better on 1.22 than i was used to. When using the Ultimate Mix by Pinballshark, i often ended up with no music during the game modes on previous versions. But with 1.22 i have the correct music in all modes! Yay! This means that for STTNG at least, it seems really really usable now!

Now i just need a 1.23 (or higher) with working sound to test if the latest improvement regarding the multiball music have also been fixed. And if it has i will move on to testing on IJ.

Seems like there is awesome progress these days. Perhaps mostly on Williams DCS machines, but i am confident steve45 will be able to fix the other systems as well.

#502 5 years ago

No sure what causes the problems with the build on bintray?!? Maybe the build system is broken. Can somebody please try this 1.23 build https://mega.nz/#!wx5UxCrS!7ST6RLnU2ArL1GRxzL0q7Khqs7lmBkTWb864OrBSAbk

The only difference to 1.22 is the small bugfix in synchronization for DCS and the chance to write a core dump in case of a crash (should never happen of course)

Br Steve

#503 5 years ago

I can confirm that 1.23 downloaded via MEGA has sound!

And it seems that the bug with multiball music is fixed also, but i will have to do more testing when getting home from work.

#504 5 years ago

I confirm that 1.23 from mega provides sounds again.

logfiles are in my shared folder :
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gMj5IDo_ZZRInH1y8xPPWhk3qEmvN0di

I would say that it's nearly perfect on my IJ, but there is still one annoying glitch ; when multiple hits are done on bumpers, a lot of sounds are played and cutting the previous one
What's your advice Steve , shall i put a suppress_repeated = 1 in the ini ?

EDIT : i got some spare time to give a try with suppress_repeated. did not change anything.
Video here : https://photos.app.goo.gl/T4bozV1YudjmWiV89
log added in the same drive folder above

#505 5 years ago

To make things more easy when testing / installing and the like I embedded a small web ui that enables direct access to your RasPiSound through the browser:

will come with the next version.

Br Steve

#506 5 years ago

Looks really cool. The possibilities are endless

A nice feature would be if you could browse and select the different sound sets on the SD card.

#507 5 years ago

Nice idea Steve,
How do we set up the wifi?

#508 5 years ago

steve45 Steve, can you double check the way the descrambling is done. Indeed, when you compare the sounds played at bumper hit, and the endprodukte video, that's not the same.
Endprodukte :

#509 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

How do we set up the wifi?

I went about it as follows:

- connect to RaspberryPi via SSH
- login as user "pi" password "raspberry"
- type "sudo -s" to gain root access
- type "dietpi-config"
- choose "Network Options: Adapters" to set SSID and WiFi password. Also make sure WiFi adapter is enabled
- choose "Save all changes and restart networking"

#510 5 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

I went about it as follows:
- connect to RaspberryPi via SSH
- login as user "pi" password "raspberry"
- type "sudo -s" to gain root access
- type "dietpi-config"
- choose "Network Options: Adapters" to set SSID and WiFi password. Also make sure WiFi adapter is enabled
- choose "Save all changes and restart networking"

As long as you're using a recent Raspberry Pi build, you just SSH in and type:

"raspi-config"

Just a little typo above there.

#511 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Just a little typo above there.

No typo. Raspisound is now using DietPi distro.
Thanks for keeping an eye out though.

#512 5 years ago

Thanks you 2
If I update from 1.12 I'm not on dietpi, so both are right
I'd prefer to put wifi ssid and key directly in a config file, to avoid wiring but that's ok

#513 5 years ago
Quoted from fishbone:

No typo. Raspisound is now using DietPi distro.
Thanks for keeping an eye out though.

oh! Darn, sorry about that!

#515 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Steve, can you double check the way the descrambling is done. Indeed, when you compare the sounds played at bumper hit, and the endprodukte video, that's not the same.

Is there any chance you can open up the soundset and identify the wrong sound by name/id, and also what sound name/id should have been played instead?

That is often the best way for steve45 for correct mapping errors. Also if you find the specific ID, i believe you could try correcting the line in the config file and try it out right away?

#516 5 years ago

It's an ongoing effort but I lack time as usual.
I'll give a try anyway..

#517 5 years ago

??????????

#518 5 years ago

OK, I won't have any time to do this trial

#519 5 years ago

I may have some time to FINALLY test on my Monster Bash today . I’ve been saying that for 6 months but it is actually looking good today...

1 week later
#520 5 years ago

Today I wanna present you to new web ui, that allows live control and configuration of your RasPiSound.

The new version will be available tomorrow and you need to install a complete new v1.24 image and configure network settings by editing dietpi.txt and dietpi-wifi.txt. Beside the new ui the 1.24 also has usb stick support, so for updates and soundsets you can use an usb stick instead of the sd card which is much more convenient. I will publish the links for update / image later today / tomorrow.

The next hardware 2.2 release will come with i2s sound integrated on the shield itself together with amplifiers, which makes installation easier. 2.2 is already in production while 2.0X will no longer be available (already out of stock).

Thx Steve

#521 5 years ago

Not sure why, but again the logs you are presenting not even include the completed startup phase!?! it ends somewhen preloading sounds. Hard to say whats wrong.

#522 5 years ago

As promised yesterday here are the links to get the new version:

- update-1.24.zip: https://mega.nz/#!ckhhHQgQ!AbwYVd-_433TfJ8WBmxiUIeLBM1l-6tnNVnOAdH5woI
- new image (already includes v1.24): https://mega.nz/#!hpxxAIaK!YzolbDn99sPGOD4brWItcBXfh0umP59R4lOqWhloPAc

as mentioned before the new web ui is only available, if you update your image. Just installing the update, only gets you the new firmware w/o web ui.

/Steve

#523 5 years ago

thanks steve, any technical improvement or just the Webui (with reducing the interest of this part). Shall we expect changes in sound/music handling in some vendor ?

#524 5 years ago

God damn Steve!! This is awesome

I especially like how you can actually adjust volumes on the fly while playing live, or playing back a recorded game. This makes it MUCH easier to finetune a soundsets volumes.

And not having to pull out the SD card or USB stick to add / remove soundsets is so nice! Is it possible to replace single samples "on-the-fly" in a soundset as well?

There is amazing potential here. Perhaps at some point when playing live or playing back a recording you could have som sort of "live log view" showing exactly which sample is being triggered. That way if you had a sound that wasn't correct (like a pop bumber sound on IJ?) you could see the sample number / sample path being triggered and so on. I think this could help taking Raspisound to new levels and hitting as close to 100% emulation as possible across the different systems / vendors.

But i am really psyched about this update!! Awesome work Steve

#525 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

God damn Steve!! This is awesome
I especially like how you can actually adjust volumes on the fly while playing live, or playing back a recorded game. This makes it MUCH easier to finetune a soundsets volumes.
And not having to pull out the SD card or USB stick to add / remove soundsets is so nice! Is it possible to replace single samples "on-the-fly" in a soundset as well?
There is amazing potential here. Perhaps at some point when playing live or playing back a recording you could have som sort of "live log view" showing exactly which sample is being triggered. That way if you had a sound that wasn't correct (like a pop bumber sound on IJ?) you could see the sample number / sample path being triggered and so on. I think this could help taking Raspisound to new levels and hitting as close to 100% emulation as possible across the different systems / vendors.
But i am really psyched about this update!! Awesome work Steve

Single sample replacement should already be possible as you can add and remove sound files for a sample. Just add the new one first and then remove the old, because its not allowed to remove if there is just one remaining.

On my TODO / NiceToHave list:
- Live log
- Switching the audio devices (more for debugging / diagnostics)
- MQTT integration

But first I will invest in Whitestar support and do some more WPC95 tests.

/Steve

#526 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Single sample replacement should already be possible as you can add and remove sound files for a sample. Just add the new one first and then remove the old, because its not allowed to remove if there is just one remaining.
On my TODO / NiceToHave list:
- Live log
- Switching the audio devices (more for debugging / diagnostics)
- MQTT integration
But first I will invest in Whitestar support and do some more WPC95 tests.
/Steve

Awesome news about the samples!! But yes, priority should definitely be system support and accuracy.

#527 5 years ago

steve45 Just out of curiosity, but is there any reason the image needs a 16gb SD card? It seems like a lot of space for a small operating system.

Any chance an image could be made that would fit on an 8GB card instead? Perhaps for those that are going to use an USB key for the sound files anyway? I have a couple of them laying around, so it would be perfect for me

#528 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

steve45 Just out of curiosity, but is there any reason the image needs a 16gb SD card? It seems like a lot of space for a small operating system.
Any chance an image could be made that would fit on an 8GB card instead? Perhaps for those that are going to use an USB key for the sound files anyway? I have a couple of them laying around, so it would be perfect for me

Indeed the image could be smaller, but for those who still want to use the sd card as storage for their sounds, the boot partition need to provide some empty space, because this partition is the only one that is reachable from windows. If you store sounds on USB, I could go even with 4GB, but sd cards of this size are so cheap these days ...

I may can provide two images: big one for sound storage and a small one with only boot file on the first partition. But my list is long ....

#529 5 years ago

steve45 are you using FAT32 for the cards? The images keep coming out too large to fit on the SD cards. Maybe a different filesystem? Or is it thst Windows is reporting space differently? I have not tried to image these on Linux.

#530 5 years ago
Quoted from steve45:

Indeed the image could be smaller, but for those who still want to use the sd card as storage for their sounds, the boot partition need to provide some empty space, because this partition is the only one that is reachable from windows. If you store sounds on USB, I could go even with 4GB, but sd cards of this size are so cheap these days ...
I may can provide two images: big one for sound storage and a small one with only boot file on the first partition. But my list is long ....

I fully understand how that list is always expanding, and everything needs to be prioritized.

And yes the cards are cheap. But as stands today, it seems that to be sure the 16GB image will fit, you have to use 32GB cards. And if you want to buy 32GB cards of a decent quality, they aren't exactly free either

I'll see what options i have, as i really want to try out 1.24

#531 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

steve45 are you using FAT32 for the cards? The images keep coming out too large to fit on the SD cards. Maybe a different filesystem? Or is it thst Windows is reporting space differently? I have not tried to image these on Linux.

Not sure what you're talking about? An image is a blockwise copy of a block device, so thats not a question of filesystems but simply if the target device has enough blocks.

The image actually carries two filesystems FAT32 for boot partition (big one), ext4 for the linux partition (relatively small).

Anyhow I will create a small variant for those who want to go with a usb stick as the sound store, this small one should fit on a 4GB card.

/Steve

#532 5 years ago

i have an error writing to actual 1.24 full image, anyone else?
will redownload and try again..
agree that shrinking the img a bit would help as i only have one 16GB sd handling it, my other 16GB seem too small ? (windisk32 imager)

#533 5 years ago

I will be trying a 32GB sd card that a friend of mine owns later today, as it didn't fit on the 16gb i was already using for raspisound.

Anyhow, the problem should be eliminated when Steve finds the time to create a smaller image

Keep up the good (and very appreciated) work Steve!

#534 5 years ago

Ré-downloading fixed my burning issue.
I've got all files, put my wifi and put the SD card back in my pi3. Sadly, nothing happens.
No device on my lan
No sound coming out from the pi.

Will try to debug

#535 5 years ago

ok, plugging on my ethernet helped to get an access.
I've also found the ssh credentials, which are not written anywhere..
for your sake : pi / raspberry

then you can do :

sudo systemctl enable pinsound

it will fix the autoboot issue and you should be able to move forward !

port for the webUI : 31008

EDIT : i had to plug my ethernet, and run by ssh the dietpi-config to enable the wifi

#536 5 years ago

There was a small issue with the latest images: the auto start of the service wasn't working. Sorry for that. Also there could be the chance for usb stick users, that the stick wasn't recognized, which results in "no soundset found".

I've two brand new images, that should fix both problems:
small: https://mega.nz/#!5hAnHCqC!2LpRSSuGj_2EicWm1rwd1xQvUU813Mkxwyr5WreKDy0
normal: https://mega.nz/#!1lJ3zKra!ELbxHaBePO2WbLygZw7ouM9ZAuPDh_rSBMCVQYO8RhA

So the small one isn't smaller in download size, but expands to only 3.9 GB and can be used together with an usb stick that carries the sounds. So you only need a very small sd card for the pi to boot, the larger soundset resides on the usb stick.

/Steve

#537 5 years ago

Great reactivity steve!

#538 5 years ago

Yes, thank you Steve!

However, for me there is still no luck. It is probably my own missing skills causing problems...

But if i write the small image to a 8 or 16gb card the Pi boots (and everything looks ok on the attached monitor), but there is no sound at all. Not even the raspisound announcements.

Hooking an ethernet cable in, and trying to connect to dietpi:31008 doesn't do anything

And unlike when i wrote the 16GB image to a 16gb sd card that it said was too small, i no longer have any windows partition where i can acces the config files to setup wifi. But this could be by design?

So if anyone else have success using the small image, please let me know. Tried writing the 16gb image again to 2 different 16gb sd cards, but both was too small to fit the image according to Win32 Disk Imager, so i was really hoping the small 4gb image would work for me

#539 5 years ago

Phantasize, did you try to plug the pi to your lan by ethernet and check your router if you see a dietpi device

#540 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Phantasize, did you try to plug the pi to your lan by ethernet and check your router if you see a dietpi device

Yes, and nothing showed up

#541 5 years ago

Did you config dietpi and dietpi-wifi in boot partition?

#542 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Did you config dietpi and dietpi-wifi in boot partition?

Like i wrote, when writing the small image to a 16gb card, none of the partitions were readable from windows afterwards, so i could not configure those files. It boots in the Pi, but no lan / ethernet network seems to work as calling dietpi:31008 from Chrome doesn't work and i don't see any device in my Router called DietPi (which is the default name).

So i am kinda stuck right now, as the small image written to a 16gb card does not work, and both my 16gb cards are too small for the 16gb image. And unfortunately i do not have access to a 32gb sd card right now to test the full image on.

#543 5 years ago

OK, if you don't see partitions, then it won't work for sure..
Shrinking the larger img should be feasible ut I have no time to do so..

#544 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

OK, if you don't see partitions, then it won't work for sure..
Shrinking the larger img should be feasible ut I have no time to do so..

I will try it when I have a chance. Steve is doing so much awesome work, this really needs to be seen/heard!

#545 5 years ago

Allright, time for a update. I had a friend of mine successfully shrink the fat32 partition of the full 1.24 image a little, so it now writes to my 16gb card without any errors.

The good thing is that i have the two correct partitions, it boots correctly, and i have sound and access to the WebUI via LAN!

I do however have some minor issues:

1. I only have sound when using the Pi's default output. I have not been able to output sound through my USB sound card, which i was using on the previous versions. I have the use-usb.txt file on the new USB card that holds the sounds like this USBDRIVE/data/use-usb.txt - Perhaps that is the wrong place for it, or it simply isn't needed anymore?

2. Concerning problem 1 above: When i started testing i was able to access the WebUI's config page. But even if i used that page to set the sound device to USB, nothing changed (not even after a restart of the Pi)

3: For some reason i am no longer able to access the Config page via the WebUI. It is empty, and a red error is shown in the bottom of the page saying something like "A problem occured". The other pages of the UI seems to work as they should.

4: I am unable to use wifi, but i am pretty sure that is me not knowing how to configure it correctly via the dietpi and dietpi-wifi files. I'll keep trying

Oh and if you read this Steve, i had a question about adjusting the gain, ducking and individual sound volumes via the UI. Are those changes stored on the fly, or are they not stored at all? Because i don't see any way of saving the changes.

As always your work is extremely appreciated!

#546 5 years ago
Quoted from Phantasize:

I am unable to use wifi, but i am pretty sure that is me not knowing how to configure it correctly via the dietpi and dietpi-wifi files. I'll keep trying

From what I understand, those files are only used during first run (after the image has been written to your SD card). Since you have already started your Pi, any changes to those files will be ignored by the system.

Try the WiFi setup instructions posted here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/11#post-4788048

#547 5 years ago

And the best option is that you can now switch soundset live, directly from the webui.

So cool!!!

#548 5 years ago

Maybe I need to test the small image on an real windows to see if windows can still mount the first boot partition. Unfortunately there's not much windows here anymore, I test all of the stuff on linux directly and mounting the image through a loop device works nicely.

I'm already working on the next version 1.25 that has one missing feature, that will help: you can switch the output device via web ui as well. So when you're accidentally on the build in output you can simply switch to usb sound card and get a acoustic feedback that you have the right device.

Next thing I am trying these days: multi channel output. The pi3 should be powerful enough and first experiments also showed its possible to output 5.1 sounds through hdmi directly to a soundbar or 5.1 home entertainment system. But more testing is needed

#549 5 years ago

Steve45
I know it may sound less fun, but accuracy of the sound playing seem (at least to me) the first goal to reach.
For 5.1, I don't know but at least a good 2.1 with the bass separated might be great

#550 5 years ago
Quoted from BENETNATH:

Steve45
I know it may sound less fun, but accuracy of the sound playing seem (at least to me) the first goal to reach.

I agree

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

5,650 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fontana, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 18.95
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 45.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Mariposa, CA
4,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Ronkonkoma, NY
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 22.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

There are 2,042 posts in this topic. You are on page 11 of 41.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebuilding-sound-for-de-jurassic-park-using-a-pi/page/11?hl=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.