(Topic ID: 203416)

Rebooting collection: Pick 2: SW, TWD, GOT, AS, MET, ?

By lowepg

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

QUEyQUM0NkJGRDdEMkYxNDcwMjM6MDA4MTBhNzc5MGFkYmY1OWYzY2ZmYzczMTJkNTljMjc6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpg
QUEyQUM0NkJGRDdEMkYxNDcwMjM6MDA4MTBhNzc5MGFkYmY1OWYzY2ZmYzczMTJkNTljMjc6Ojo6OjA= (resized).jpg
KISS LE (resized).jpg
Screenshot_2017-11-23-19-50-33 (resized).png
STERN STERWARS MODS (resized).jpg
KISS LE side art (resized).jpg

There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Small collection space here (2-3 max), so I'm constantly churning.

Just sold off ALL my pins and starting from scratch.

Pick 2 that compliment each other. Also would be interested in preference from Pre/Pro (NOT dropping $$$ for LE's)

Thanks!

PS- NOT considering anything from boutique pinball shops- I do all my gambling and charity work OUTSIDE the pinball hobby.

#2 6 years ago

TWD
GOT

I sold MET to buy TWD and love both so yeah, easily TWD and MET for me as well.

#4 6 years ago

+1 both pros great, prem is my pref on both if it's your flavor

#5 6 years ago

Right now: SW & Met

Once the code is mature: SW & GotG

Got SW Premium about 3 weeks ago, and it will make you a better player. My scores on my MMR & LOTR have gone up dramatically after honing skills on SW. My reaction time, ball control, and nudging are much improved!!

#6 6 years ago

TWD and MET are the best of the options. Aerosmith is good too. The rest are meh, although jury is out for GOTG.

#7 6 years ago

SW & TWD. Both tough games that try to kick your ass. Both will make you a better player.

#8 6 years ago

I would take twd and met
Both are sterns best games since ac/DC

Hell get a ac/dc

#9 6 years ago

Twd sw

#10 6 years ago
#12 6 years ago

TWD, MET. Same designer but play radically different. I have had MET for 2 1/2 years and still play it constantly. TWD I haven’t had as long but I like it even more than MET.

Premium is the only way to go on TWD and even though I have a MET premium myself, I think pro is the way to go on it. I just loved the pro so much I wanted all the small upgrades (especially the lightshow/RGB inserts) of the Prem.

#13 6 years ago

TWD
GOT

#14 6 years ago

MET & TWD.
Both offer solid code and are simply a blast to play.

#15 6 years ago

SW and AS....have both and they are comlimentary games. Completely different style and flow. (I find Star Wars way easier but the depth of the rules allows for new challenges)

#16 6 years ago

GOT (Pro ONLY) and MET.

There are annoyances with GOT, certainly, but the ruleset is the deepest, most rewarding risk vs reward system I've ever played, at least in a Stern.
MET speaks for itself - Stern is making it again! (see: GOTG).

#17 6 years ago

SW and MET with GOT a close third.

#18 6 years ago

Star Wars Pro
KISS LE fantastic game and now is the time to buy a KISS LE

KISS LE side art (resized).jpgKISS LE side art (resized).jpg
STERN STERWARS MODS (resized).jpgSTERN STERWARS MODS (resized).jpg

#19 6 years ago
#20 6 years ago

I have owned and for the most part still own all of these.
If I had to choose two it would be Metallica and Prem SW....with TWD a close third.
TWD is the most complete package but to me the other two are more "fun" to play.
Metallica Pro can be made great with just a few tweaks such as add on spinners and a color DMD.
SW prem in its current form is very addictive more so than my GoT LE was. With SW your playing not only the game but to me it takes me back to my youth.

#21 6 years ago

Met & TWD - two Borg/Lyman collaborations with complete, fun & nuanced code.

#22 6 years ago

TWD & GOT

#23 6 years ago

TWD and AS with GOT a close third. Both Borg games with different layouts and different coding. Best of both worlds. Plenty of fun to be had there! AS has been the surprise in our home. We bought it thinking we would churn it over and just love it. Not as good as TWD but awesome next to each other. We have or have played all the games you mentioned. We are Stern fans!

#24 6 years ago

Another vote for MET and TWD

Although if you change your stance I would say TWD and TNA. I don’t think there is a gamble with Spooky delivering on this!

#26 6 years ago

Metallic for me

#27 6 years ago

MET....TWD....all your choices are good but this is Proably the best combo...

Screenshot_2017-11-23-19-50-33 (resized).pngScreenshot_2017-11-23-19-50-33 (resized).png

#28 6 years ago

MET and TWD

Both Premium.

#29 6 years ago

Hmm, Love my MET Pro but hate TWD. I would go with MET Pro or prem and AC/DC prem.

#30 6 years ago

met twd. why not consider throwing star trek in the running? Then I would say met st.

#31 6 years ago

I got tired of Met Pro, but I’m not a huge fan of their music to start with. It did feel a little wood choppy getting to the good stuff. I have TWD premium now and it is probably my favorite pin of all time. Great tough pin. I am currently looking for a GOT premium. I have seen prices in the lower 5K range. Right now this seems like a great bang for your buck premium pin. So If you are on a budget like me maybe TWD Pro and GOT premium.

#32 6 years ago

I have TWD, Metallica, Star Trek, and Star Wars(all Pros) and if I could only keep two it'd be Star Trek and Metallica with TWD a close third. Star Wars is still way too new to me to say I want to keep it forever BUT I wanna keep it forever!

#34 6 years ago

TWD Prem and AS Prem

#37 6 years ago

twd, got, and sw are great, Id get two of those, as and met are ok too.

Really any of those games would be alot of fun

#38 6 years ago

Thanks.... I see TWD in many of the combos.

OK to get a TWD Pro?

(Never had a "pro" before... my last Stern was a ACDC Prem)

#39 6 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

OK to get a TWD Pro?

yes, the pro is much better than the prem/le and def the better value.

I personally would get TWD and DILE. Seems silly to reboot and buy 2 essentially new Sterns which will feel very similar.

#40 6 years ago

Star Wars Premium and Metallica Premium Monsters.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Thanks.... I see TWD in many of the combos.
OK to get a TWD Pro?
(Never had a "pro" before... my last Stern was a ACDC Prem)

Pros all the way around to be honest. Lots of people swear by TWD PREM but the pro does play smoother and I prefer it. So ya, go TWD pro - I find it more fun too, less cheap drains, smoother gameplay.

As for your poll. I'd go TWD/GOT (both pros).

My first instinct though was TWD/SW, but both games are a work out. GOT supplements the fun factor next to the TWD. As for Metallica, it really is a good fun game but can burn out quickly in a small lineup - it gets too repetitious and a bit of a grind. Love playing one game on it though when I have the chance, but that's all that's really needed on that game, one game and move on.

AS PRO would also be a good fit next to TWD instead of GOT as it fills that fun factor moment. I still find GOT better though for a small collection as it has fast gameplay with lots of different strategies and ways to tackle the game. GOT lacks in art + dmd of all the choices so something to consider if that matters to you.

#42 6 years ago

MET and TWD easily for me. I would hesitate on Aerosmith until a code update drops. I'm ready to get rid of mine now, but going to stick it out to see if new code improves anything. If code is nothing special, then my AS will be for sale soon after. It's fun, but there are other titles I'd rather have.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

yes, the pro is much better than the prem/le and def the better value.
I personally would get TWD and DILE. Seems silly to reboot and buy 2 essentially new Sterns which will feel very similar.

Strongly disagree with TWD Pro being better than the Premium.
It is a good value, but the additions on the Premium are excellent IMO.

#44 6 years ago

Scared Stiff and Metallica LE or Star Trek

#45 6 years ago

Lots of recommendations here against variety in game play. Strange imo as I find game play variety very important and tend to think most others do as well, especially in a small collection. I don't want two similar machines in a two machine collection. So in using the OP's game list, that means no TWD and MET combination. They are fairly similar, which is not surprising considering they have the same designer, a similar style of PF layout and the same programmer. TWD is the spiritual successor to MET with even better code and a more unique PF layout (Borg has been quoted saying he preferred TWD). But MET still a great game, and theme matters a lot to most people (me included). So pick whichever you prefer. Both are great pins and to get some good variety you can't have both. I agree that both TWD and MET are the two best pins in this list, but I need variety even more than having the two best pins.

So for the second pin what the OP has left is GOT, AS and SW. AS uses the same PF designer (Borg) as earlier so I'd discount it as well to get something more different. That leaves the Ritchie games of GOT and SW. Both are very different playing from TWD and MET as they have much more flow in the playing style. GOT and SW are both quite different from each other as well so I'd pick whatever you prefer between the two. Both pins have their fans and offer some cool fun and differences. SW has less going on with the playfield but it has the LCD, theme and many love its LCD integration. GOT has more toys on the PF and more interactions on the PF. Different people will have different preferences and both pins have their merits.

Frankly, if one of the pins is going to be TWD or MET and I go away from the OP's list for the second pin, a different and great option for variety can include all the JJP and CGC models currently available. WOZ, TH, DI, MMR and AFMR all play a fair bit differently (and have longer ball times) from TWD and MET and would be a great combination as well as complimentary.

Quoted from T7:

Yup, and after hundreds of reviews that the TWD LE/Prem model rates significantly higher than the Pro model here on Pinside; simply put, most people prefer the LE/Prem. The left ramp just isn't an issue at all for most people either. In actual play on both the Pro and LE/Prem, the right ramp will airball sooner and at lower speeds than the left ramp on the LE/Prem; so if one wants to talk about ramp problems it should start with the right ramp on both models. I've played both the Pro and LE/Prem and they are both great; I also agree with the reviews of most others here on Pinside..... that the LE/Prem is better than the Pro. And the LE/Prem is one of the most feature rich upgraded LE/Premium models ever made. It has it all for upgrades; art, PF changes and toys, GI and lighting, and even coding. A wicked cool combination.

There are many things to love about the LE/Prem. Guinnesstime is not alone with this recent feedback in the club thread.

Quoted from Guinnesstime:

Walker bombs are the bomb.
IMO anyone on the fence should get the premium. The ramp with the flap fix is perfect. The light show is amazing. Horde is one of the coolest pinball modes.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I've played both and the only thing I'd miss on the Pro is the drop & spinner on that Extra Ball shot. I don't think the Austin Powers cannon works that well with the design, and the bicycle girl isn't that satisfying as a bash reveal - I'd rather just hit the ramp.

#47 6 years ago

Thanks for the pro vs Prem/LE feedback.

My budget would probably NOT make 2 premiums work.
I could Probably do
1 LE
Or
2 Pro
Or stretch the budget a bit and
1 Pro + 1 Prem.

#48 6 years ago

Get 2 pro no question. Met for sure. Bought TWD and thought it was very overated. Bash toy being so close bothered me. Then another in the middle? Too much.

Get alien when they're back in stock. Best game out there. Original layout total package

#49 6 years ago

TWD & Metallica.
One Pro and one Premium.
You really can't go wrong.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from lowepg:

Thanks for the pro vs Prem/LE feedback.
My budget would probably NOT make 2 premiums work.
I could Probably do
1 LE
Or
2 Pro
Or stretch the budget a bit and
1 Pro + 1 Prem.

Go 2 pros. Don't listen to owners protecting their purchase. Pro is the way to go with stern. Anything over $5500, go JJP or CGC.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 19.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 16.00
Playfield - Decals
Lermods
Decals
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Other
7,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hot Springs, AR
$ 16.00
Lighting - Other
Slap Save Creations
Other
Machine - For Sale
Wilkes-barre, PA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Ashburn, VA
$ 18.00
Playfield - Protection
Volcano Pinball
Protection
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 12.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting
Led
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PR Mods
Sound/Speakers
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 109.99
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
arcade-cabinets.com
Shooter rods
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 599.95
Cabinet - Toppers
Hi-Rez Pinball Mods
Toppers
$ 26.50
$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Wentzville, MO
Playfield - Other
Gameroom Mods
Other
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball
Other
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebooting-collection-pick-2-sw-twd-got-as-met/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.