wrdTqFz[1] (resized).png
DF85002B-E470-4345-8F93-44FC32C41B8F (resized).jpeg
18FF8325-6F5C-4BDD-9562-3E851AE1080C.gif
Unknown (resized).jpeg
alien8 (resized).jpg
LJ (resized).jpg
Picture1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Confirmation from Heighway Pinball Posted by HeighwayPinball (6 years ago)

Post #61 One member of the investors group named. Posted by daudioguy (6 years ago)

Post #105 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Key information provided in this article Posted by monkeyboypaul (6 years ago)

Post #536 Gives names of investors Posted by Pinballgeek (6 years ago)

Post #739 Confirmation from HWP employee about Andrew's departure Posted by SLAMT1LT (6 years ago)

Post #946 User story of receiving a refund from the new management of HWP Posted by Deluxodave (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunking.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#206 6 years ago

Congrats (perhaps premature) to the new Heighway team! I have some restored optimism, and I look forward to seeing how this all plays out.

#420 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

It seems the only differences in the first 20 games are the light boards and xeno mechs.
The games all work in the essential function as all mechs (aside from xeno which appears to be varying degrees of working or not existing) From the owners I have spoken with, intermittent insert lights, xeno, and in 1 case a bad pf screen are the only issues I have heard of.

It seems pretty obvious to me the first seveal Aliens delivered were indeed cobbled together with whatever parts were on hand. The Alien I picked up at TPF has a Full Throttle serial number and sticker on the back of the cabinet, with an Alien sticker on the coindoor. While my machine does have 'production boards' (except Xeno mech) ALL of the early games used 'tower GI' lighting (small PCB with multi LED's). I have heard from Heighway that they are scrapping this idea, and going back to the RGB LED's they used on FT. Assuming we will someday get these parts, it won't be a simple 'replace a bulb' fix, as you have to remove all the boards under the playfield to access the GI.

Quoted from Whysnow:

Customer support has been great for some/many originally, but it sounds like not existentant in the past few weeks. Alien seems purposefully built with these beta units and a controlled process of working out the bugs adjustments to be set for the full production run. I will say it appears every owner knew what they were getting and old HP team talked with them directly about state of game before they took delivery.

You make it sound like all this was part of Andrews' master plan. I suspect he was grasping at straws. I talked to Andrew in person about the Alien I took home from TPF. However, in hindsight it appears he was not being completely honest. I asked specifically about the timeline for the updated xeno board (it was just a board at that time - found out later that the entire mech has to be updated, not just the board). I asked "will it be days away, weeks away, or months?" He replied "Oh, it won't be months - should be very, very soon). Honestly, he may have said "a couple weeks". ...and of course - no mention about the GI issues at that time.

Turns out they were still working to resolve all these issues. As I was waiting for the updated Xeno mechs/boards, I was also experiencing some other issues with lighting, and yes - my playfield LCD went out. I have been emailing with Helmut, and to his credit he usually does reply promply. Unfortunately, I get the impression his hands are tied, ESPECIALLY when it comes to sending out replacement parts. I have asked many times for an update on when I could expect the new xeno mech and updated GI LEDs, as I can not update the code on the game until the new hardware has been installed. ...to date, I have no idea when this may come. As for the LCD, I have checked, double checked and triple checked connections (as suggested by Helmut)...but I'm not making any progress there either.

Overall, I am still happy with the game. But to say everything is just perfect - peaches and cream - in the world of Heighway Pinball ownership is a bit of a reach.

#427 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The US team has also been spectaculor with help and discussions during the entire process.

This I agree with 100%. David and Joe have been great.

#454 6 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

He does? Lucky you I guess.
... my experiences in trying to acquire spare parts for my FT made the prospect of buying an Alien kit dim considerably.

Yes, Helmut almost always replies promptly to my service related emails. However, as I stated earlier, I think his hands are tied when it comes to sending out any spare/replacement parts. ...that's when I get radio silence. Like all of you, I hope new management works to resolve these issues promptly.

#465 6 years ago

Nah, make the [existing] games [work 100%] first. *I* want my pin [to work 100%] and *I* want it before any refunds are given [or new games are made]. Forget those people who have bailed [or are paid in full]. *I* bet they continue to ignore refund requests, [or] make and ship a bunch of pins....'cause it's all about me.

#483 6 years ago

Thank you far taking the time to post these - very helpful.

#588 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

The problems have still not been fully corrected regarding the Xeno head, and unless something has changed the coding remains incomplete. This is barring any of the other potential onsy, twosy problems initial owners have reported.

As an owner, I can tell you the code is the least of my worries. I'm on version 0.94, which is a few releases behind what what's in the most recent machine delivered to Canada. Even at .94, the code is very good - all modes, wizard modes and multi-balls are implimented - rules, sounds and video assets are GREAT IMHO.

As for the hardware, yes, I suspect there may still be some issues. We all know the xeno mech needed work - but again - I think the most recent machine delivered to Canada DID have the imprioved mech and board (he posted pictures). There is also an issue with the GI lighting - early machines like mine have 'tower GI' which will need to be completely replaced. In fact, until I get the new hardware (xeno and GI) I am not able to update code.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the build time for each machine. If they want to reduce this, I suspect they may alter/simplify some of the design. For example, when I picked up my machine at TPF, the facehuggers were not installed on the slings. No biggie right? Well, I know my way around a pinball machine, and it still took me over two hours to get those installed. It's a bit complicated, as you have to remove 'C' clips from the slingshot arm, pull it out, drill some holes, mount the facehuggers, (I also had to dremmel the screws used as the ones Andrew gave to me were too long), then from the top of the machine you have to guide the slignshot arm back into place and replace the 'C' clips. It's tiedious, and it's just a cosmetic part.

#589 6 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

also heard reports about the LCD screen in the playfield not staying flush with the playfield surface & that needing some serious attention

This is true - it's a pretty easy fix. But yes, it should be fixed at the factory before being delivered.

5 months later
#1166 6 years ago
Quoted from EalaDubhSidhe:

Barry and his vast experiences is right here in the office behind me, with everyone around a big desk with the third game's blueprint on it, and the game's artist has been getting his brief for the game along with plenty of research material on how best to approach it and ideas we've been throwing at him. It's been a really busy and productive week - with multiple projects on the cards at once,

That's great and all...but I sure wish Heighway would spend a little time supporting existing customers. I purchased an Alien at TPF in March, and I'm still stuck on version 0.94 of the code because I need new hardware to update. Both Heighway and Cointaker have promised updated parts many times since March...I have a long string of emails. I have even offered to PAY for new parts and shipping....but as of today - November 16 - I still have no idea when or if I will receive them.

5 months later
#1209 6 years ago

alien8 (resized).jpgalien8 (resized).jpg

#1390 5 years ago

I heard Andrew Heighway was a vegan. For that reason alone, I'm grilling steak tonight.

1 week later
#1503 5 years ago

Cointaker for $80,000 -ouch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

9,799 (OBO)
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider sunking.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebirth-of-heighway-pinball?tu=sunking and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.