wrdTqFz[1] (resized).png
DF85002B-E470-4345-8F93-44FC32C41B8F (resized).jpeg
18FF8325-6F5C-4BDD-9562-3E851AE1080C.gif
Unknown (resized).jpeg
alien8 (resized).jpg
LJ (resized).jpg
Picture1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #19 Confirmation from Heighway Pinball Posted by HeighwayPinball (6 years ago)

Post #61 One member of the investors group named. Posted by daudioguy (6 years ago)

Post #105 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by Aurich (6 years ago)

Post #391 Key information provided in this article Posted by monkeyboypaul (6 years ago)

Post #536 Gives names of investors Posted by Pinballgeek (6 years ago)

Post #739 Confirmation from HWP employee about Andrew's departure Posted by SLAMT1LT (6 years ago)

Post #946 User story of receiving a refund from the new management of HWP Posted by Deluxodave (6 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Homepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#802 6 years ago
Quoted from shaneo:

May I suggest debugging the game via console session? You will need a micro serial cable (Compulab ship these with the Utilite's, else abt 5 bucks from the retail giants) and a Linux/ Win machine with a terminal emulator to do this. I use good old Screen but HyperTerm in Win will do the job. Settings need to be 115200 8n1.
From the console you will see exactly what is happening if the game boots/fails/blah blah. If you prove the Utilite is busted the you simply buy a new one from Compulab. It's an ARMv7 Cortex CPU with Neon architecture and it runs a Yocto compiled Linux kernel. There are also plenty of other ARMv7 units out there which can/could be made to work.
They are a good unit apart from the poor quality, easily busted uSD slot. They have dual LAN, dual HDMI, WiFi, Bluetooth, 1.2Ghz CPU, 4 GB ram, 5 USB and 2 serial ports. I use the original I busted as a media server now I can boot it from USB.
Tech ref manual http://www.compulab.co.il/utilite-computer/download/documentation/utilite/utilite-technical-reference-manual.pdf
If you prove that the uSD card slot is at fault then you can update the uBoot f/w and boot from USB or TTTP or an mSata drive. Have you checked the uSD card for errors? May be as simple as some file system repair commands. The image has some ext4 filesystems which mess up uSD cards. In your console session you will see errors like "Card did not respond to voltage select!"
If you cannot prove the fault then create bootable Ubuntu uSD and fire up the Utilite using the procedure here http://www.compulab.co.il/utilite-computer/wiki/index.php/Utilite_Linux_Installation_and_Update.
There are also plenty of other ARMv7 units out there which can/could be made to work if needed and surely the code owner could cross compile.
Get the console session happening and you'll be playing the game again in no time. Happy to assist if required.
I've also had a lot of teething problems with my FullT and perhaps it was a little ambitious for a new manufacturers first game, but engineers of Andrew's calibre don't design "ordinary"
When the game is playing well it is crazy good. Must have spent 4 hours playing it today until my arms hurt.
It's just "got the shots"

....and this entire post explains very well EXACTLY why manufacturers SHOULD NOT be running PC motherboards - it is a complete CROCK!!!

So pinball collectors need to be IT professionals now just to keep a machine running - sorry but that is just 100% bullshit!

There is one reason, and one reason ONLY why PC motherboards are being used - they are cheap, pack a lot of punch, and can directly drive an LCD screen (or two), OK, that's three reasons LOL but the reality is any benefits stop right there.

Surely most people here know just how long a standard desktop PC lasts?? Three, four years TOPS and only if you are lucky.....expect to learn this complete twaddle if you persist in buying machines built like this.

None of this bullshit is required to fix your WMS machine and nor should it be!

Downvote this post all you like but come back and see just how right I am in a couple of years.

#804 6 years ago
Quoted from nephasth:

Shut up. The PC I'm typing on is 7 years old. The PC running my MAME rig is 12 years old.

The exception certainly not the rule.

#808 6 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Again you have no idea what you are talking about. A PC motherboard will damn near run indefinitely. It's forced obsolescence that requires people to get a new one every 3-5 years. I have 8086 and 8088 motherboards right now that fire up connected to mfm harddrives. 30+ years later.
I get it though. You are about to launch your first pinball machine that minute one it rolls off the line is antiquated.

Really? I have no idea - LOL you certainly have no idea who I am then.....
My machines will be repairable without having to go through all of that complete crap in the post quoted earlier. You cannot be serious that you believe it is fine and dandy for an owner to need to do all of that to repair his machine - that is just rubbish.

When you are building your pinball machines using PC parts I will listen to your comments - until then it's just hot air and fluff.

#810 6 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Except those WMS Pinball 2000 machines

Which were based on a PC motherboard - I rest my case....

#821 6 years ago
Quoted from Drenden:

Actually they were pretty proprietary. Cyrix CPU, Custom Prism Card.
Learn your history. And I know who you are. Your machine is comically antiquated and its not even out yet. You have quite the ego but there are 6000ish JJP machines with none of the issues you foretold nostradumbass.

6000 JJP machines LOL...now there is a dream right there.

Lets see how modern your machines are then when you build them shall we?

I don't have the need to resort to personal insults either. Only people who are losing an argument resort to that.

#822 6 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

So in my home it should 4x as long (or more) and then I can swap it for $50 (or less)? Sounds good to me.

You can only swap it if you can do all of the IT trickery suggested in the earlier post.

Not every owner wants to learn all of that computer crap just to fix a pinball machine.

#824 6 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

What other games are PC based now?
JJP games.
Spooky?
Big Lebowski.
Presume Spike games aren't??

Spooky are the smartest of all that bunch. No PC rubbish in their machines.

#849 6 years ago
Quoted from tslayer71:

Huh? Why would you have to do all the diagnostics? If you suspected the mother board just swap it out with a new one. Either it fixes your problem or it doesn't. If not just send the motherboard back....

You can't seriously believe it is as simple as swapping the motherboard? Good luck if you try that. Tell it to the guy with the bricked FT. Obviously it is not as simple as some on here are trying to pretend.

#868 6 years ago
Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

When do e get to see your (Gods) gift to pinball?
QSS

I have said from day one of this project that Homepin pinball machines WILL NOT be re-inventing the wheel - that they will be standard DMD machines.

The "God's gift" bit is your spin on things - I am unsure why you are so negative? Jealousy perhaps?

#898 6 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Homepin is the

Homepin's approach gives them more of a chance to succeed than any of these other startups. In fact, if there's a potential Stern killer in our midst its Homepin. Everything built from scratch, cheap labor, no dependencies, innovative engineering, and apparently able to chug along with no apparent earnings as of yet. If Homepin lands a license that will actually sell and solves all export issues they stand to be a major player. Especially if the pricing undercuts other manufacturers. Stern needs to watch them closely.

My final post in this thread as I think it has been derailed enough:

Thankyou for your insightful comments. I will add that we are currently manufacturers - today - right now! We currently ship a container about every 6 weeks of Hankin arcade tables.

Homepin also ships an average of 300 replacement PCBs for existing pinball machines per month. In fact we sent over 600 just last week by EMS to two resellers.

We are not relying on selling pinball machines to survive. Homepin already has a profitable manufacturing business and a fully functioning factory. We are playing our FINISHED prototype pinball machines daily. We can't show them yet because some artwork is not approved and some toys cannot be manufactured yet due licencing procedures.

Homepin already has firm orders for at least two containers of Thunderbirds pinball machines for the USA. We will not be able to build these until our obligations to Australian customers are fulfilled so they won't be ready for the USA until, at the earliest, mid next year.

Anyway - enough derailing, I apologize to the OP but I do find it necessary to defend myself when a few naysayers start spouting crap with no knowledge of what they are talking about and zero knowledge of my background. These naysayers conveniently over look the FACT that Homepin is already a well established business in the amusement machine industry.

I'm happy to continue any discussions in the correct Homepin official thread.

#921 6 years ago
Quoted from insx:

I thought I'd check out the Homepin website, it made Heighway's website look world class.

The Homepin website is currently being upgraded. I took the advice of several commenting on here and commissioned it to be done. It will be a few days before it is working correctly again.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

12,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

9,799 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Homepin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebirth-of-heighway-pinball?tu=Homepin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.