Topic Stats

• 1,528 posts
  • 331 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 months ago by Pinballs
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 90 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

heh heh taint (resized).jpg
0F29A436-B789-4FED-9BFC-ECBFA3F322EC (resized).jpeg
IMG_4109 (resized).jpg
2902705509_8730eab503_b (resized).jpg
alien_cake_2_by_highborntalon (resized).jpg
IMG_2391 (resized).PNG
Judy_Greer_featured (resized).jpg
Judy_Greer_July_14,_2014_(cropped) (resized).jpg
IMG_0235 (resized).PNG
wrdTqFz[1] (resized).png
DF85002B-E470-4345-8F93-44FC32C41B8F (resized).jpeg
18FF8325-6F5C-4BDD-9562-3E851AE1080C.gif
Unknown (resized).jpeg
alien8 (resized).jpg
LJ (resized).jpg
Picture1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1528 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 31.
#1401 1 year ago

As for casting the role of mr68 , I considered and dismissed Arnold, Sylvester, a young Harrison Ford - due to budget constraints. Time to announce Mr T has been cast as an older Kim. Seems like a good choice to show a walk softly but carrying a big stick vibe. First things first, I need that script asap. Writers start your engines!

#1402 1 year ago

How about a new Hitler upset with Andrew Heighway video first?

#1403 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I went strictly cannibal for 5 months, really more for the soul cleansing than to lose weight.
In fact, with all the birth control hormones and steroids everyone is taking, I think I actually gained a few pounds...

Watch out for that kuru.

#1404 1 year ago
Quoted from MrBally:

How about a new Hitler upset with Andrew Heighway video first?

I really did get a laugh off of those.

#1405 1 year ago

The last couple of pages of the Alien thread are all the comedy we should need. Backpedaling galore!

#1406 1 year ago

I haven't been following any of this until today and had no idea Heighway folded. But seriously, how in the Hell does this keep happening?

#1407 1 year ago
Quoted from Honch:

I haven't been following any of this until today and had no idea Heighway folded. But seriously, how in the Hell does this keep happening?

Many people allow the hype of their "dream theme" to control.

Not to say that they didn't go into it knowing that there were risks. Just saying that their love for the theme allowed them to take a risk that they otherwise would not have taken.

Alien - dream theme for many
TBL - dream theme for many
Zombie whatever it's called (JPop) - dream theme for many
Predator - great theme for many, plus reasonable price

#1408 1 year ago
Quoted from RobT:

Not to say that they didn't go into it knowing that there were risks. Just saying that their love for the theme allowed them to take a risk that they otherwise would not have taken.

What about that 'scorpion sling' Alien buyer?
I've actually seen the movies, but it's not a grail theme for me either. i'm in it for the pinball.. unique layout and the total package. I was willing to gamble on that alone.

#1409 1 year ago
Quoted from Honch:

In this case based on what I've read there was excessive greed and ego involved with upper management. Dangerous combination.

#1410 1 year ago
Quoted from RobT:

I just don't know that I buy into this notion of a "dream theme" driving this shi*. I know a lot of folks say that, but I think many get some thrills from the sense of anticipation, excitement, and being "in the club". It's kinda worth it to them even if it doesn't pan out.

I can't buy a pin just based on the theme. I've got to enjoy the play. That and I'm not willing to pay$6K+ for a pin will save me from this crap.

It was refreshing to play TNA recently. I just did not think I was going to like it. It was actually a lot of fun to play. It's cool seeing the demand for it, not because of the theme, but because it's fun. I think the hobby needs more of that kind of excitement about a pin vs. this "dream theme" notion which mostly seems to suck a lot of money out of the hobby and create bad will.

#1411 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I can't buy a pin just based on the theme. I've got to enjoy the play. That and I'm not willing to pay$6K+ for a pin will save me from this crap.

You are more reasonable than many pinheads with money to burn.

#1412 1 year ago
Quoted from mcluvin:

I just don't know that I buy into this notion of a "dream theme" driving this shi*. I know a lot of folks say that, but I think many get some thrills from the sense of anticipation, excitement, and being "in the club". It's kinda worth it to them even if it doesn't pan out.
It was refreshing to play TNA recently. I just did not think I was going to like it. It was actually a lot of fun to play. It's cool seeing the demand for it, not because of the theme, but because it's fun. I think the hobby needs more of that kind of excitement about a pin vs. this "dream theme" notion which mostly seems to suck a lot of money out of the hobby and create bad will.

Oh, I agree that those things play a role in it as well with some people. But if you ask the guys who preordered these pins, the vast majority of them will tell you that it was based on it being a dream theme (or at least close to it).

As for TNA, can't wait for #157 to arrive!

#1413 1 year ago

I liked the rules, balanced scoring, variety in ways to approach the game, risk/reward consideration to design, and range of shots. I’m not even that much an Alien fan. I’ve seen and enjoyed the first 2 films, but would prefer many other themes more.

#1414 1 year ago
Quoted from RobT:

Oh, I agree that those things play a role in it as well with some people. But if you ask the guys who preordered these pins, the vast majority of them will tell you that it was based on it being a dream theme (or at least close to it).

This was certainly the case with RAZA for me. Being a huge zombie fan, I always thought it would be so cool to have a zombie themed pin. That's why when John announced the game, I immediately jumped all over it. This was well before Stern's TWD, so I was thrilled that a pin with my dream theme was finally being built.

#1415 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

This was certainly the case with RAZA for me. Being a huge zombie fan, I always thought it would be so cool to have a zombie themed pin. That's why when John announced the game, I immediately jumped all over it. This was well before Stern's TWD, so I was thrilled that a pin with my dream theme was finally being built.

Love zombies too. Isn’t the game being resurrected by Deeproot?

#1416 1 year ago
Quoted from RobT:

I get that, Rob, I really do. Especially because I may have done the same thing for Elvira 3 a few years back, but that was before the JPOP fiasco.
I've said it before, that emotions will sometimes over rule common sense, but I thought we were past that point in the pinball world.

#1417 1 year ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

In this case based on what I've read there was excessive greed and ego involved with upper management. Dangerous combination.

No doubt. Seeing as how these guys actually created a fun, playable machine, as far as I can tell, do you think the fix was in from the jump?

#1418 1 year ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Love zombies too. Isn’t the game being resurrected by Deeproot?

Supposedly... but we should know better

#1419 1 year ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Exactly! I did the same thing. I sent JPop a $1500.00 deposit for RAZA and I was as excited as hell, as the Zombie theme was the one I wanted more than anything. I got out pretty early on when things were not progressing in conformance with the timeline that he had laid out, and the communication was terrible.

#1420 1 year ago
Quoted from RobT:

Exactly.

But like everyone has been saying for 5 years after WOZ was so late:

DON'T PREORDER ANYTHING !!!!!!!!!!!

Even if they offer some incentive "Save $500 by preordering the game!" just wait.

Better to pay $500 more if the game ever ships, than lose $9,000 on a pipe dream.

...95% of all businesses go under in the first 3 years.....

alien_cake_2_by_highborntalon (resized).jpg

#1421 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Exactly.

Me thinks you need to double-check your facts Mr. Vid...

https://www.fundera.com/blog/what-percentage-of-small-businesses-fail

#1422 1 year ago

#1 reason new businesses fail? Undercapitalization. Don't be the capital.

#1423 1 year ago

Despite the failure of HP, one thing I haven't seen mentioned is the IP. The game has been designed, produced, and sold. Schematics drawn, printed circuit boards created, molds for plastics have been made, mechanical drawings finished, code written. Sure, there's bugs, likely kludges that need resolved, but a A LOT is finished.

Seems ripe for Stern or others to come in, buy the IP, and resurrect the game.

#1424 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I can only hope, I invested my entire life savings on getting the pincurtains ready for launch and now.

Remember those custom curtains to hide extra swappable games under the table.

#1425 1 year ago
Quoted from emkay:

#1 reason new businesses fail? Undercapitalization. Don't be the capital.

I would say management. You could have started with three times the $ and still fail.
Just because you love pinball does not mean you can open a business and start producing games in a month.

#1426 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

I would say management. You could have started with three times the $ and still fail.
Just because you love pinball does not mean you can open a business and start producing games in a month.

That's probably true of pinball businesses but I was speaking in general, as someone who started a business and ran it for nearly ten years before the stress made me sell it and get a regular job.

http://www.businessinsider.com/why-small-businesses-fail-infographic-2017-8

#1427 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

If Stern bought it they would probably put the game on their platform. Makes sense they designed it. They could use the playfield, the art and the license. I would think that using the HP operating system and code would be looked at by their engineering staff and then decide upon using it. It may be better but I don't know.

#1428 1 year ago

Stern doesn't do widebodies

#1429 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

If Stern bought it they would probably put the game on their platform. Makes sense they designed it. They could use the playfield, the art and the license. I would think that using the HP operating system and code would be looked at by their engineering staff and then decide upon using it. It may be better but I don't know.

Good point Bob

#1430 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Not gonna happen. No sane company will jump into the center of a raging dumpster fire.
Playfield won't fit their cabinet, completely different hardware, completely different software.
It will be easier for Stern to make a new game from scratch, without the baggage of a failed company attached.

#1431 1 year ago

Stern would never make a game without their platform. This is direct from George Gomez.

Quoted from mbwalker:

Good point Bob

#1432 1 year ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Not gonna happen. No sane company will jump into the center of a raging dumpster fire.
Playfield won't fit their cabinet, completely different hardware, completely different software.
It will be easier for Stern to make a new game from scratch, without the baggage of a failed company attached.

I agree

I personally never cared for the game that much every time i played it felt clucky/slow. Plus most of time it had problems.

#1433 1 year ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

Can I pre-order a vegan?

JJP's vegetarian edition: Pirates of the Carib-vegan.

#1434 1 year ago

Jack ate it; He likes it!

#1435 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Why would they bother? Their brand is doing just fine with the themes they've licensed & multiple games they have in production. They have no reason to associate themselves with this mess.

#1436 1 year ago

You can find 100000 different stats, because everyone is using a different definition, but Forbes says 80% in the first year alone:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericwagner/2013/09/12/five-reasons-8-out-of-10-businesses-fail

If most businesses did not go under in the first few years, there would be no room for a HalloweenUSA and Phantom Fireworks in every strip mall in America.

2902705509_8730eab503_b (resized).jpg

#1437 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

If Stern bought it they would probably put the game on their platform

How do you even convince Fox to license the game after Both Heighway and Skit-b (predator also a fox license) failed? You may never see a fox licensed anything pinball with the way these two companies tainted it.

#1438 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

...You may never see a fox licensed anything pinball with the way these two companies tainted it.

They did a good job of that all by themselves with "Aliens vs. Predator: Requiem"

#1439 1 year ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

How do you even convince Fox to license the game after Both Heighway and Skit-b (predator also a fox license) failed? You may never see a fox licensed anything pinball with the way these two companies tainted it.

Skat-b never had a license, not even a blip on Fox radar.

Heighway paid their license fee, but never produced any product.

It's not like Fox's feelings are hurt.

They will gladly take the money from anyone.

X-men, Avatar, Independence Day, X-Files, Starwars (until 2021 when I think Disney becomes the distributor), are all Fox

Do you think Fox said "No Deadpool for you Stern. Skit-B and Heighway have ruined it for everyone!" ?

#1440 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Heighway paid their license fee, but never produced any product.

Then How did the Ann Arbor Pinball Museum get theirs?

Even tho it took months to get the head

#1441 1 year ago

I have no skin in this game but I doubt AH started this to have it fail. But it failed quite obviously due to poor cash flow management. AH thought he could get more done with less... he didn’t. New investors thought they could manage better than AG did ... they didn’t. Company failed. And rather than any of its primary investors (pinside members) having the liquidation preferences they should have had if this was any sane investment by any VC, they got screwed and went to the back of the line. Yes AH conned everyone, but he did so upfront when he promised a game he couldn’t deliver on the money available and had people willingly giving him money with no recourse should things go wrong. This is not “blame the victim”. It is however stating the obvious that this disaster area was a probable rather and an improbable outcome. If AH was being ethical about this he would have treated pre purchases as the actual investment it really was and promised a more appropriate 2X liquidation preference as part of any purchase contract. He was instead the first person rather than the last person to be paid in this failure. If there is any good to come of all of this, this crappy investment scheme should never happen again in Pinball due to the hard lessons learned here

#1442 1 year ago
Quoted from bob_e:

Then How did the Ann Arbor Pinball Museum get theirs?
Even tho it took months to get the head

How did they get their "non kevin built" Predator?

Do you think Fox cares about 4 fan-built Predator pins?

Do you think Fox cares about 3 dozen Alien pins?

If Stern wants to do Terminator Final next year, do you really think Alien poisoned the well?

#1443 1 year ago

Question: What's the best way to lose a million dollars?

Answer: Start a pinball company

Question: What's the best way to lose 2 million dollars?

Answer: Keep the pinball company open

#1444 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

How did they get their "non kevin built" Predator?

Do you think Fox cares about 4 fan-built Predator pins?

Fox straight up TOLD Kevin they didn't give a s___ about a fan made game. He just left out the detail about making 250.

#1445 1 year ago

Is it possible to rename this thread to ‘afterbirth of Heighway Pinball’?

Mods - you *know* this needs doing.

#1446 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

I must be doing something right....

My company will celebrate its' 19th anniversary this year.

#1447 1 year ago
Quoted from vid1900:

If Stern wants to do Terminator Final next year

Don't even start with that. I am too poor for Stern to release another Terminator game!

#1448 1 year ago
Quoted from indypinhead:

I must be doing something right....
My company will celebrate its' 19th anniversary this year.

Nice... mine is 33 this year.

#1449 1 year ago
Quoted from snakesnsparklers:

Don't even start with that. I am too poor for Stern to release another Terminator game!

Collect them all!

#1450 1 year ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

...I was more aboot Manray personally...best bar ever

IMG_4109 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Bridgewater, MA
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 150.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
There are 1528 posts in this topic. You are on page 29 of 31.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside