wrdTqFz[1] (resized).png
DF85002B-E470-4345-8F93-44FC32C41B8F (resized).jpeg
18FF8325-6F5C-4BDD-9562-3E851AE1080C.gif
Unknown (resized).jpeg
alien8 (resized).jpg
LJ (resized).jpg
Picture1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,528 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 31.
#901 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

My guess it would need a code update to support the different hardware. But it depends what its running on now, what does it run on now?

http://www.compulab.co.il/utilite-computer/web/utilite-overview

I tried to find one online but they are not available from usual sources and seem to be out of production. Not a good sign. It would be good to have a backup solution.

IMG_20170611_191820 (resized).jpgIMG_20170611_191820 (resized).jpg

#902 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

But it depends what its running on now, what does it run on now?

From what I gather, the FTH CPU is ARM based, whereas the Alien CPU is x86, both run some form of Linux. To get FTH running on the x86 CPU wouldn't be too hard, but again it's development time that might be better off spent doing something else.

Right now they don't sell playfield kits, no one is buying FTH, so there's no real financial incentive to get FTH running on the x86 board.

#903 6 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

Right now they don't sell playfield kits, no one is buying FTH, so there's no real financial incentive to get FTH running on the x86 board.

I have bought an Alien kit, so I need the new CPU. As do all Full Throttle owners if they ever want to buy a kit.

#904 6 years ago

I recall reading somewhere the computer used in alien can be used in full throttle but you need the SSD drive and SDcard for the Linux boot/game specific code. Certainly tech support should help you with this and get the parts you need, unless the company is on total freeze with no employees, which doesn't sound like the case

Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

From what I gather, the FTH CPU is ARM based, whereas the Alien CPU is x86, both run some form of Linux. To get FTH running on the x86 CPU wouldn't be too hard, but again it's development time that might be better off spent doing something else.

#905 6 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

That's right. Full Throttle uses the Utilite, Alien uses the Zotac. Internally the code is organized differently, and software update is hopefully a little easier than before.

I've already ported the Full Throttle code onto the Zotac platform. I've been running it on my game for months now. The packages have been sent to the UK factory and final testing started. Obviously that has slowed down and I'm not sure where it stands on releasing it.

If you order an Alien kit, you'll be able to ditch the Utilite and just use the Zotac for both games. The SSD holds both sets of game code and you can switch between them with a simple menu change. If you aren't ordering Alien, but want to update your Full Throttle to the Zotac, there should be an option to do so - not sure about pricing or priority on that right now though.

#906 6 years ago

So theoretically one of these guys with broken utilites could order one of these and get the image from Heighway tech support and get their Full throttle working? Are you using a 32gb SSD?

https://www.amazon.com/ZOTAC-Quad-Core-Graphics-Barebones-ZBOX-BI323-U/dp/B01N8WA35O

Quoted from bcd:

That's right. Full Throttle uses the Utilite, Alien uses the Zotac. Internally the code is organized differently, and software update is hopefully a little easier than before.
I've already ported the Full Throttle code onto the Zotac platform. I've been running it on my game for months now. The packages have been sent to the UK factory and final testing started. Obviously that has slowed down and I'm not sure where it stands on releasing it.
If you order an Alien kit, you'll be able to ditch the Utilite and just use the Zotac for both games. The SSD holds both sets of game code and you can switch between them with a simple menu change. If you aren't ordering Alien, but want to update your Full Throttle to the Zotac, there should be an option to do so - not sure about pricing or priority on that right now though.

#907 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Hopefully it is not too loud and you can hear some of your amazing stuff in real life action

Tommy and his crew from Nitro were great at the show. Day one the volume wasn't up but that was fixed for two and three and it was "Let's get it on" as Hudson would say.

#908 6 years ago

Thats good news for the guys above! Mine has a 30gb ssd alien image seems around 7gb, ft is a few?

#909 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

Thats good news for the guys above! Mine has a 30gb ssd alien image seems around 7gb, ft is a few?

Right, Full Throttle only uses about 2GB so there's plenty of room for both, plus future titles on the same 32GB SSD.

#910 6 years ago
Quoted from bcd:

The SSD holds both sets of game code and you can switch between them with a simple menu change.

Nice! Thanks for the update. Now we just need the company to actually exist and start functioning again to get these guys with issues back up and running. I'm in for an Alien kit/PC upgrade as soon as the "new guys" show they are delivering products.

#911 6 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If everyone makes a run on the bank and asks for refunds I expect the game and company to collapse. The few prototypes will be collector's items of what could have been.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Is what it is, just gonna make the costs of pulling this off too much, that's a huge instant cash drain. Doesn't mean everyone shouldn't do whatever they please, but all this crying and shaming over the new owners trying to keep people in is stupid. Of course they are. They're fighting to keep the game and company viable.
I'm already going back to the don't give a f*** mentality to be honest. I'd rather the whole thing collapse than deal with months and months of bellyaching and headaches and bullshit, I've had enough already.

It's known as a "recapitalization" and they should be able to find short term hard money if they are truly within weeks of production ramp up. I just wonder what exactly went wrong that stuck Heighway in the mud until his collapse. This unknown is the greatest risk to the entire project/company. The larger factory thing is what I think sunk the ship. Unwind that error and chop the ongoing overhead and they have a great chance of long-term viability. If they continue to do the same, I would expect more of the same results.

#912 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I have said from day one of this project that Homepin pinball machines WILL NOT be re-inventing the wheel - that they will be standard DMD machines.
The "God's gift" bit is your spin on things - I am unsure why you are so negative? Jealousy perhaps?

With all the time spent berating potential customers, it seems pretty obvious that Thunderbirds must already be shipping. Are there no production line problems to attract your attention? These posts seem reminiscent of some in the thread that spawned this one.

#913 6 years ago
Quoted from SadSack:

If they continue to do the same, I would expect more of the same results.

Well if by "continue to do the same" you mean "not ship games", then yes. I don't think the larger factory is the issue. If they get it maned and start shipping games they will be fine. People want this game and they will sell whatever they can ship for quite some time (couple years). Now if they want to keep the train going they will need a viable #3....and 4...and so on. (My guess is they already have plans for at least 3 & 4 but if they are smart we won't even hear about those until they are nearly ready to ship). I'm not convinced yet that they are that smart...for some reason manufacturers get stuck/confused about the "hype train".

#914 6 years ago

I thought I'd check out the Homepin website, it made Heighway's website look world class.

#915 6 years ago
Quoted from insx:

I thought I'd check out the Homepin website, it made Heighway's website look world class.

Funny.. I did too... And it's broken. Nothing seems to load right.

#916 6 years ago
Quoted from Radius118:

Funny.. I did too... And it's broken. Nothing seems to load right.

Are you trying to view it on a PC with an LCD/LED or a DMD-based display?

#917 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Are you trying to view it on a PC with an LCD/LED or a DMD-based display?

Yes.. Why?

#918 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

I have said from day one of this project that Homepin pinball machines WILL NOT be re-inventing the wheel - that they will be standard DMD machines.

It was my attempt at a bit of humor given the derailing that took place. I admit it was not nice and for this I ask forgiveness from Robin, moderators and Homepin.

#919 6 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

It was my attempt at a bit of humor given the derailing that took place. I admit it was not nice and for this I ask forgiveness from Robin, moderators and Homepin.

Oh got it.. I completely missed the joke. My bad.

#920 6 years ago

I like what Homepin is doing.So not a basher when I say that was funny and put a smirk on my face.It helped lighten the mood in here.
-Mike

#921 6 years ago
Quoted from insx:

The Homepin website is currently being upgraded. I took the advice of several commenting on here and commissioned it to be done. It will be a few days before it is working correctly again.

#922 6 years ago

back to alien! I can't wait til the new owners have all their shit together and start pumping these pins out! Played one a few months ago and the potential is just too much for this game alone! Never mind what ever else comes out. And obviously I think they gonna make all the FT owners happy and repair all them "bricks" out there..just my opinion, but I got a good feeling about how this will turn out and can't wait to call Tommy@nitropinball to order a standard edition someday!!

#923 6 years ago
Quoted from libtech:

For Aliens, its a Zotac BI323 which are easy to find and cheap. I just bought another in case I need it and think it was about $120usd new. Figured it would at least be a month or two before I got one from Heighway, and want to get my game going.

Update - got the new zotac, no dice though, must be the hdd or data, still no contact from heighway about an image file

#924 6 years ago

Well that really sucks

#925 6 years ago

What happens if this company makes 100 games, folds, and then there are hardware problems again?

It sucks not being able to get parts.

#926 6 years ago

thats why I wasnt too worried about having a spare pc, in case they go tits up and cant get parts in the future..

#927 6 years ago

You need the new image for this board along with the game code. I imagine Brian has a sdcard image and an ssd hard drive image, but it sounds like tech support will have to send them to you.

Quoted from libtech:

Update - got the new zotac, no dice though, must be the hdd or data, still no contact from heighway about an image file

#928 6 years ago
Quoted from TVP:

What happens if this company makes 100 games, folds, and then there are hardware problems again?
It sucks not being able to get parts.

This is my concern. I want Alien and Full Throttle badly. But just getting Alien out the door is still a risk for buyers. Unfortunately I'll probably hold off on either title until I see the company has some legs and the product can operate reliably.

#929 6 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

This is my concern. I want Alien and Full Throttle badly. But just getting Alien out the door is still a risk for buyers. Unfortunately I'll probably hold off on either title until I see the company has some legs and the product can operate reliably.

I'll be happy to make you a deal on my FT. It's in the marketplace. Works 100% and is in very nice condition. I would like to fund a Dialed In or Star Wars.

#930 6 years ago
Quoted from insx:

May be, but has it helped Heighway manufacture pinball machines?

#931 6 years ago

Having had personal contact with one of the new managing directors and with the support team as well my impression is that they're improving fast. I for myself am very satisfied with those calls.

#932 6 years ago
Quoted from Homepin:

My final post in this thread as I think it has been derailed enough:

Naw...
There is always room for Derail...

Also, why not add a derail-o-meter to threads Pinside?

#933 6 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

Also, why not add a derail-o-meter to threads Pinside?

I like it! The meter goes higher as the thread more on topic right?

#934 6 years ago

....progress....

Nitro graciously loaned me the Alien that was at NWPAS. I'm testing the s*** out of it. There are issues that are being fed back to Wales to insure that when production resumes these games will be robust. Of course I am having my first chance to review the sound package while flipping. I made some good judgments and I missed a few (first try). This is to be expected. I will be addressing these as fast as I can. While doing that I am also reviewing and testing the entire package and giving notes back to the team. This refinement stage can only be done with a machine. In the very near future all the dev team will have dev machines and this will speed the enhancement process.
If you have liked what you have experienced so far we expect that you will be even more pleased with the finished package.

ddt

#935 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

....progress....
Nitro graciously loaned me the Alien that was at NWPAS. I'm testing the s*** out of it. There are issues that are being fed back to Wales to insure that when production resumes these games will be robust. Of course I am having my first chance to review the sound package while flipping. I made some good judgments and I missed a few (first try). This is to be expected. I will be addressing these as fast as I can. While doing that I am also reviewing and testing the entire package and giving notes back to the team. This refinement stage can only be done with a machine. In the very near future all the dev team will have dev machines and this will speed the enhancement process.
If you have liked what you have experienced so far we expect that you will be even more pleased with the finished package.
ddt

Thank you David. Keep us posted

#936 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

....progress....
ddt

Hope everything works out and this machine gets out into the wild soon. I had cash in hand to buy from Cointaker during Pinfest. Maybe in the near future.

#937 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

....progress....
ddt

David is a class act and true professional. Hopefully production can come tegether and work out for all. I think there is a lot of lurkers looking to buy one of these when they're available cash and carry/ship.

#938 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

....progress....
ddt

Though it may be more of a video issue, the only thing I've noticed is when the mode "Combat Drop" is failed, the audio during the back & forth between Hudson ("How do I get out of this chicken isht..." and Sgt. Apone ("secure your isht Hudson") is out of sync compared to how their lips are moving in the video. I'm on 0.94.

#939 6 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

is out of sync compared to how their lips are moving in the video

good catch

yes I noticed this at NWPAS. keeping everything in sync is like "like nailing jello to a tree" sometimes.

it will be fixed.

ddt

#940 6 years ago

Ugh, today marks 10 weeks since I've received any communication from Heighway...

#941 6 years ago
Quoted from daudioguy:

good catch
yes I noticed this at NWPAS. keeping everything in sync is like "like nailing jello to a tree" sometimes.
it will be fixed.
ddt

Thank you for all the hard work ahead.
Blessed be...
Patience and time.

#942 6 years ago

It's been 12 days since the "new" guys were forced to announce here before the legal stuff was even taken care of...I'd start the clock a week ago and keep emailing the new guys.

#943 6 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Ugh, today marks 10 weeks since I've received any communication from Heighway...

congratulations ...

candle1 (resized).jpgcandle1 (resized).jpg

#944 6 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

You need the new image for this board along with the game code. I imagine Brian has a sdcard image and an ssd hard drive image, but it sounds like tech support will have to send them to you.

I think alien is just the ssd image, no sd card, that was how ft rolled, we'll see. They should just be able to host it somewhere and send me the link. Havent heard anything back from heighway though yet.

#945 6 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

It's been 12 days since the "new" guys were forced to announce here before the legal stuff was even taken care of...I'd start the clock a week ago and keep emailing the new guys.

Well by good fortune Daniel did PM me today! He offered me the same assurances as others have posted. I will continue to be patient and optimistic.

#946 6 years ago

I love pinside but I'm not a fan of threads that get super crazy & emotional. I also prefer to stay on the sidelines - versus post - but I have an update I thought many would appreciate.

I was one of those guys that did a full payment pre-order for Aliens. When the news broke about the health of the company, I was frustrated and worried. Same as everyone else. I resented the fact that I wasn't a customer of Heighway Pinball, I was really an investor in Andrew's start-up. Without my knowing it, I had all the risk of an early stage investor with none of the upside.

I personally decided to ask for a refund. I needed an emotional break from this drama and to someone else's point, the investors should rescue this company on their own dime.

I'm happy to report that I've emailed & spoken with two of the investors and expressed my concerns. I received my refund in full today.

I can't speak to the investors' abilities - or how they will succeed while Andrew failed - but I can tell you they were open and ultimately stayed true to their word. In my limited experience, they were honest and have integrity. That is more than we got with Andrew in the end.

I'm sharing as I hope it makes some of you Alien pre-order customers feel better. I still would love this pin and really hope they make it.

#947 6 years ago

Full refunds coming in is a good sign!

#948 6 years ago
Quoted from Deluxodave:

I love pinside but I'm not a fan of threads that get super crazy & emotional. I also prefer to stay on the sidelines - versus post - but I have an update I thought many would appreciate.
I was one of those guys that did a full payment pre-order for Aliens. When the news broke about the health of the company, I was frustrated and worried. Same as everyone else. I resented the fact that I wasn't a customer of Heighway Pinball, I was really an investor in Andrew's start-up. Without my knowing it, I had all the risk of an early stage investor with none of the upside.
I personally decided to ask for a refund. I needed an emotional break from this drama and to someone else's point, the investors should rescue this company on their own dime.
I'm happy to report that I've emailed & spoken with two of the investors and expressed my concerns. I received my refund in full today.
I can't speak to the investors' abilities - or how they will succeed while Andrew failed - but I can tell you they were open and ultimately stayed true to their word. In my limited experience, they were honest and have integrity. That is more than we got with Andrew in the end.
I'm sharing as I hope it makes some of you Alien pre-order customers feel better. I still would love this pin and really hope they make it.

great news and thanks for sharing!

#949 6 years ago

First solid good news I have heard in some time, I hope this trend continues. I look forward to buying one when they are in stock and available.

#950 6 years ago
Quoted from Deluxodave:

I received my refund in full today.

a handful more of these posts and all the negativity will evaporate and they can focus on delivering their game to everyone.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

9,999 (OBO)
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 1,528 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebirth-of-heighway-pinball/page/19?hl=o-from-do and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.