Topic Stats

• 1,528 posts
  • 331 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 months ago by Pinballs
  • Topic is favorited by 71 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 90 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

heh heh taint (resized).jpg
0F29A436-B789-4FED-9BFC-ECBFA3F322EC (resized).jpeg
IMG_4109 (resized).jpg
2902705509_8730eab503_b (resized).jpg
alien_cake_2_by_highborntalon (resized).jpg
IMG_2391 (resized).PNG
Judy_Greer_featured (resized).jpg
Judy_Greer_July_14,_2014_(cropped) (resized).jpg
IMG_0235 (resized).PNG
wrdTqFz[1] (resized).png
DF85002B-E470-4345-8F93-44FC32C41B8F (resized).jpeg
18FF8325-6F5C-4BDD-9562-3E851AE1080C.gif
Unknown (resized).jpeg
alien8 (resized).jpg
LJ (resized).jpg
Picture1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 1528 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 31.
#751 2 years ago
Quoted from SLAMT1LT:

Andrew has left the building. A sad day to see him go for good but necessary for the future of the company. We all wish him the best of luck and hope he takes a long and much-needed rest.
Now we can move forward and get this ball rolling again.

He can run, but he can't hide.........

#752 2 years ago

How long until his name is stripped from the company? I'm surprised one or both parties are okay with the name remaining Heighway...

#753 2 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

How long until his name is stripped from the company? I'm surprised one or both parties are okay with the name remaining Heighway...

I could care less if they keep it or change it....as long as they ship games and provide support.

#754 2 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

If I were them I'd change it. JJP and Stern still have Jack and Gary, not to mention more established brands. Without Andrew I'd go with a new name.

#755 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

just some underestimation on what things cost

If he hadn't revised the game 10 times, costs might have been more in check. Stern, "Here's the new game, buy it." "Here's our next game, buy it." Perfection and pleasing everyone is great but not great for a new pinball company. Full Throttle had little to no input for changes etc. that I know of and they seemed to crank that out and sell it, no issues.

Andrew was a genuine nice guy and helpful in my interactions with him. Wish him well. Has to be a bummer.

#756 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

If I were them I'd change it. JJP and Stern still have Jack and Gary, not to mention more established brands. Without Andrew I'd go with a new name.

I was just thinking those are examples to keep it. In both cases arent jack and gary figured heads and no longer controlling interests

#757 2 years ago

David Thiel who did the sound for Alien playing it at the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show about 30 minutes ago. He was giggling while playing! I got one game in, pretty damn fun!

IMG_5095 - Copy (resized).JPG

#758 2 years ago

"Hype is not reality, reality is not optimism, optimism is not the definition of success."

Princess-Bride-Preorder (resized).jpg

#759 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

If he hadn't revised the game 10 times, costs might have been more in check. Stern, "Here's the new game, buy it." "Here's our next game, buy it." Perfection and pleasing everyone is great but not great for a new pinball company.

A lot of truth to that! That's not what caused all his problems, but once he started listening to all of the opinions on this site and making decisions based on them he was doomed. You don't see Stern making a bunch of revisions to the new SW pin because of the initial negative reaction to the release photos.

#760 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Full Throttle had little to no input for changes etc. that I know of and they seemed to crank that out and sell it, no issues

They were far from cranking then out and them not making any changes stemmed from noone caring over there.

There are many things that need to be addressed with Full Throttle. I for one shared all my concerns with them over there years. No shits were given.

#761 2 years ago

Line up to play Alien at the NW Pinball Show....

IMG_0250 (resized).JPG

#762 2 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

They were far from cranking then out and them not making any changes stemmed from noone caring over there.
There are many things that need to be addressed with Full Throttle. I for one shared all my concerns with them over there years. No shits were given.

No changes to Full Throttle is from them "not caring"? I disagree but whatever. I had the opposite experience but I have had my game over a year. More recent interactions obviously suffered. I emailed helmut 3 or 4 times with questions and heard back in a day. Have had virtually zero problems with my game. I guess there's a lemon in every batch...check the Stern threads! Maybe you got the short straw on this one.

#763 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

He can run, but he can't hide.........

....BITCH !

#764 2 years ago

Innovation is terrific, but maybe if the cabinets; swappable flippers; fiber ramp option (doesn't fit with Alien anyway) and the swappable playfields had been ruled out from the start? Just build the games using standard widebody cabinets and the backbox LCD can still be installed. But the cabinet would look so much cooler with standard body and backbox sides artwork. So those lit up side panels also would be gone I guess along with standard flipper mechs.

Any thoughts on that possible cost reduction and development time elimination and do you think that would've kept the project on track? If any of those features were never even available, would you still have ordered Alien?

#765 2 years ago

Where should I begin.....
Im at the pool with the family, typing and swiping on the cell phone. List short and definitely incomplete.

Lighting is too dark, ad more spots and lighting. This game looks terrible next to the competition. It is too dark stock.

Left GP bike. The hinge bolt does not match the hinge hole. Over time it wears, then seizes and locks and stopps working.

GP bike jump is too short, modified mechanism in order to allow the bike to wheelie, not just bounce

Buy Loctite and hand it out at the assembly line. When my Full Throttle was still working and mind me, it has been bricked and useless for over half a year now, the following simply feel apart:

Both flippers came off and fell into the cabinet
One of the platform screen mounting screws feel off
One pop fell apart
One LE wire came undone from the driver

The sound amplifier is unfit, it fell apart at the clamps and I replaced it out of pocket

The coin door controls came loose

Do not use foam in order to adjust height of the platfield screen. The foam loses its bounce, sets and then your screen pops up. If you do not catch that you will start having airballs and chipped screen

Adjust the wheels at the factory. Is that too much to ask

Had to adjust sensitivity on all three pops. Out if the box one of them fired 80% of the time, the other two hardly registered. Quality control

Two target at ramps create airballs. One so bad that your pinballs hit the platfield glass HARD

Software crashes at times when I open coin door

Shaker not implemented

Skillshot is terrible. Add a real narrow center spot that gives you added reward. Think some of the swing mechanics in Golf video games

Pops are way too weak and underwhelming

Same for flippers and slings. The setup is wimpy in comparison. I thought I had bought a racing game. This is powerless.

Implementation of the main toy, your rival drivers bust, is lackluster

But the worst is that I was not able to play in ages and that I have a 230 lbs brick of a Full Throttle LE right now

#766 2 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

A lot of truth to that! That's not what caused all his problems, but once he started listening to all of the opinions on this site and making decisions based on them he was doomed. You don't see Stern making a bunch of revisions to the new SW pin because of the initial negative reaction to the release photos.

But if Alien gets released in mass, with code finalization it has a serious chance of being a top 5 pin of all time. Everything about this pin's design oozes quality, consideration, and lastability.

#767 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

David Thiel who did the sound for Alien playing it at the Northwest Pinball & Arcade Show about 30 minutes ago. He was giggling while playing! I got one game in, pretty damn fun!

makes me happy to see this! Enjoy David! Hopefully it is not too loud and you can hear some of your amazing stuff in real life action!

#768 2 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

Im at the pool with the family, typing and swiping on the cell phone. List short and definitely incomplete.
Lighting is too dark, ad more spots and lighting. This game looks terrible next to the competition. It is too dark stock.
Left GP bike. The hinge bolt does not match the hinge hole. Over time it wears, then seizes and locks and stopps working.
GP bike jump is too short, modified mechanism in order to allow the bike to wheelie, not just bounce
Buy Loctite and hand it out at the assembly line. When my Full Throttle was still working and mind me, it has been bricked and useless for over half a year now, the following simply feel apart:
One pop fell apart
The sound amplifier is unfit, it fell apart at the clamps and I replaced it out of pocket
Do not use foam in order to adjust height of the platfield screen. The foam loses its bounce, sets and then your screen pops up. If you do not catch that you will start having airballs and chipped screen
Had to adjust sensitivity on all three pops. Out if the box one of them fired 80% of the time, the other two hardly registered. Quality control
Two target at ramps create airballs. One so bad that your pinballs hit the platfield glass HARD
Shaker not implemented
Skillshot is terrible. Add a real narrow center spot that gives you added reward. Think some of the swing mechanics in Golf video games
Same for flippers and slings. The setup is wimpy in comparison. I thought I had bought a racing game. This is powerless.
But the worst is that I was not able to play in ages and that I have a 230 lbs brick of a Full Throttle LE right now

Sounds like you definitely got a lemon. Obviously they weren't all that bad...and yes a friend of mine had one.

#769 2 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

One pop fell apart
Shaker not implemented

Why did you buy it? If this was new, you got a lemon. A couple people have these routed and have never reported any of the issues you list. It sounds like you hate the game and are just plain bitter and angry at the company which I guess is understandable given your issues. Did you see the game or a game video before you bought it? ?

Here is my list: The plunger tip broke. Otherwise love it. Oh--the shaker is not implemented, I agree on that one. They are/were on it according to the programmer though.

#770 2 years ago

It may as well be that my game was build by a disgruntled coworker who swiftly got fired by Andrew the next day.

Mine was one of the few from Cointakers first shipment. You may know it from one of the factory videos. I have the LE with the dark chrome package, one of a kind. It was a prototype finish that never saw production. And that is a good thing.

As it rusted to hell where your palms touch the platfield glass frame....

Just my luck, hahah

Nah, I'm not angry, I'm heartbroken
I love this game, spend a good 100 hours on fixing and modding it. But without a working computer unit I am stuck

Once I have that replaced and Heighway start working on new code I'll be back in Full Throttle heaven

#771 2 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I was just thinking those are examples to keep it. In both cases arent jack and gary figured heads and no longer controlling interests

I'm questioning this internet line of thinking... If that were true, why do they still introduce Gary as President and CEO?
http://www.cbs.com/shows/cbs-sunday-morning/video/dyxN01VPzb_IF_QSB77zjZvoEiCsUuFO/pinball-in-back-and-running-full-tilt/

Gary may no longer be in sole control - but I don't think there is anything to say he no longer doesn't have a controlling interest or say in things. I think the 'gary isn't meddling in the game design' type of comments have been extrapolated to say he isn't involved at all anymore.. and that would be contrary with the idea of giving him those titles.

#772 2 years ago

If you could only see me type here on Pinside. I'm always smiles, having a blast with you all.

All that gets lost due to the limits of us not hanging out, face to face, having beers

#773 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Did you read the part where they said that it might take several weeks to review the ledgers?

They would've had to be reviewed before the seperate email went out to people asking for a refund.

#774 2 years ago
Quoted from nwpinball:

I'm not hand waving away the difficulties, but just reminding people, the game is real, it's not vapor ware, it's not a box of lights. One of the best people in pinball sound ever is working on it still. I believe he's taking that Nitro game home for some weeks to use as a test game to listen to all the sounds on a real cabinet under real world conditions so he can balance all the callouts and EQ the music etc. I'm sure there will be a ton of tweaked assets checked into Github.

Joe is still working on the rules, but not in a "wow the game isn't finished" way, he's polishing things, finding new ways to encourage people to explore the rules through scoring tweaks, stuff like that. We were just talking about a change to Lifecycle scoring last week that's pretty interesting, encourages you to make shots all over the playfield before starting Ambush multiball. I love rules that reward you for making a variety of shots, and so does Joe.

People are gonna do what they want to do, just good to remember sometimes that there's a real game, that's probably more finished than Stern's Star Wars currently is, it just needs a little last push to get out the gate properly. And people with money are willing to make that push if there's the patience for it.

#775 2 years ago

So glad I'm out free and clear from this dickwad company and their lies. Sorry, but Andrew played me and I will never be able to stomach anything Heighway related.

BTW, I will be shooting the Heighway neon I had made this weekend. Will post a closeup video of it going "poof" once the deed is done.

Oh, and some of you guys make me throwup in my mouth a little at how you are pushing the "give them more time" and "I'm not a paid PR guy but I am pushing the fuck out of all things Alien". Holy feck give it a rest dude. We know you get paid on a per game basis and don't want to see a project you are part of fail. LOL.

#776 2 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

Oh, and some of you guys make me throwup in my mouth a little at how you are pushing the "give them more time" and "I'm not a paid PR guy but I am pushing the fuck out of all things Alien". Holy feck give it a rest dude. We know you get paid on a per game basis and don't want to see a project you are part of fail. LOL.

Don't choke on all that vomit.

#777 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Don't choke on all that vomit.

Ok.

-removed-

[edit]
I could have erased this but I think it sums up what I think about you and a few others here. You are going to be the reason that either some people get fucked out of thousands of dollars or eventually get their games. I don't believe for a second that you are being noble and trying to help pinball humanity. I think you are caught up in trying to save whatever you can from being involved with a project that so far has sucked ...

I also think people should get their money back and wait on this. If all of a sudden there are 50 games in stock at Cointaker or wherever then great! Go for it peoples!!! But you are telling people to wait and give the new(or old???) guys a chance. That's -removed- retarded in my opinion. Get what you can get and let the "investors" invest and get the game to production. Depending on all the people who thought they were *BUYING* a game is screwed up.

But whatever. I went against my oath to not get into internet arguments here because I honestly feel like a fool for getting played by Andrew. -removed-

#778 2 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

A couple people have these routed and have never reported any of the issues you list.
Here is my list: The plunger tip broke. Otherwise love it. Oh--the shaker is not implemented, I agree on that one. They are/were on it according to the programmer though.

I have had plenty of trouble with my Full Throttle on route. At the moment, the game is off route because it continues to lock up during gameplay requiring a reset, this is unacceptable on location. To those operators that ask me about the game I tell them IME it is unreliable and a below average earning pin. The fact there is no documentation doesn't help matters any. Support has been good with Helmut, but at times the responses took over a week. If a game continues to break down and I can't fix it in a reasonable amount of time, I won't route it. Since others have had good experiences I hope that means eventually I will get all the gremlins out of this one.

Personally, I enjoy the gameplay of Full Throttle, just wish it would hold up better.

#779 2 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

One of the best people in pinball sound ever is working on it still. I believe he's taking that Nitro game home for some weeks to use as a test game to listen to all the sounds on a real cabinet under real world conditions so he can balance all the callouts and EQ the music etc.

No offense, but I still find it appalling that the sound designer was never even shipped a game to fine tune his work. Wasn't Dave & Joe supposed to have a game to test on like over a year ago? Working on your PC is one thing, but couldn't he have taken one of those preproduction test games from Expo & pass it around to the employees in the US who actually had a need for it? I mean Whysnow & early adopters got a game before the designers? Where was the sense in that???

IDK. It just makes me shake my head to what was actually going on there for all this time, while customers were fed a bunch of bullshit to keep the thing going. Past is past I guess. Glad there's new leadership now.

#780 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

No offense, but I still find it appalling that the sound designer was never even shipped a game to fine tune his work. Wasn't Dave & Joe supposed to have a game to test on like over a year ago? Working on your PC is one thing, but couldn't he have taken one of those preproduction test games from Expo & pass it around to the employees in the US who actually had a need for it? I mean Whysnow & early adopters got a game before the designers? Where was the sense in that???
IDK. It just makes me shake my head to what was actually going on there for all this time, while customers were fed a bunch of bullshit to keep the thing going. Past is past I guess. Glad there's new leadership now.

Don't be silly, if Andrew gave the games to to tech guys of the game, he would've missed out on some up front money

#781 2 years ago
Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

No argument from me. Remember, I'm the guy who was so frustrated with the project that for my own mental health I decided it was time to distance myself. Amongst the things we've been told by the new investors is they get it and people will have machines. As you said, new leadership. So giving it all a chance.

But to your second point, the Expo machines were too prototype to really have been all that helpful, passing them around was discussed and ultimately rejected. The machine Joe ended up with has pre-production issues too, but it's better than what was at Expo.

#783 2 years ago

You know, speaking of patience, and the Expo machines, I just want to say that everyone at the show was really amazing. I mean, those games were rough at the time. Anyone who was at the launch party can tell you how bad it was, we had napkins stuffed in the airlock scoop because they weren't ejecting properly, which meant you couldn't even start a mode! It could have been really depressing.

We were all doing whatever we could to get them up and running when they weren't on the show floor, they just weren't solid enough yet to have the public bang on them. Well, when I say we I mostly mean everyone else, some of the team can tell the story about how I never came back the first night when I wandered off to find a soldering iron. Blame acejedi and pdxmonkey and fattrain for that, they were tempting sirens.

But instead of bitching or being disappointed people were just stoked to see the game in the flesh, to see some of the animations, to get a sense for how the shots worked. I met a lot of you, and you were all really awesome with your energy and comments, it was a much needed boost for us all. The party was great, people had a good time, the games, broke-ass and all, were in constant play.

Honestly the only real negative comments were about the airlock "Joker can", and people weren't wrong, it was the weakest part of the game. It was actually really helpful to be able to use those comments to push for the LCD change, it improved things.

That's one of my real regrets about this game, that we weren't able to capitalize on that energy and momentum more from Expo. For one reason or another or another the game stalled out after that, it was hard to know what was happening in Wales for all of us in the US. I wish more of the team from Wales could have been there, I think it would have helped them a ton to meet you guys and hear the comments in person.

Before Expo I was thinking we were on the edge of a cliff, flip a coin, success or failure. Afterwards I thought we would really get this game off the ground. I sure didn't see June coming.

Fast forward and October feels like a long time ago. People are pissed off. Hey, I don't blame anyone, I was pissed off too. But I just want to say to anyone who was at Expo and had positive energy for us, and anyone who's stuck it out this long, that I appreciate it, whatever happens.

#784 2 years ago

I'm rooting for the team. A large draw to the game for me is the 'enthusiastic about pinball' vibe I get from everything; sound, art, mechs, rules, layout etc. I can't wait to unbox one.

#785 2 years ago
Quoted from Alphajerk3000:

They seem fully committed to get people refunds if they want one, but it might take a week or several as it’s only today that they can begin reviewing financials fully.

Quoted from Toads:

They would've had to be reviewed before the seperate email went out to people asking for a refund.

Yeah, I just assumed the summary of the e-mail provided by AJ3000 resulted in painting an inaccurate picture. 90% of the due diligence process is review of the financials. You review all the books, even test transactions, follow-up on A/P, spot check inventory, review contract terms and conditions, etc.. All of this would have been completed during their preliminary due diligence when they said they spent weeks at the factory. I just assumed what they meant was the need establish their own accounting systems to track things? If, in fact, the new owners have not done the financial due diligence...well...I really don't know what to say.

#786 2 years ago

2nt email received from Daniel Janson and Morgan:

I informed them that as a deposit plus some extra guy that I had no plans to pull out at at this time... id rather impregnate the alien machine if possible(alright i didn't say that). I needed to know where I was in the line and a time frame to expect delivery(which i already paid for)

They let me know it was going to take a few weeks to sort out the production line/ give conformations for delivery dates.

#787 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

But if Alien gets released in mass, with code finalization it has a serious chance of being a top 5 pin of all time. Everything about this pin's design oozes quality, consideration, and lastability.

I think it would be pretty freakin' cool if after all of this mess they ended up turning out an awesome game that became a top 5 of all time...but I don't see it happening...I hope
I'm wrong.

#788 2 years ago
Quoted from Oldgoat:

Yeah, I just assumed the summary of the e-mail provided by AJ3000 resulted in painting an inaccurate picture. 90% of the due diligence process is review of the financials. You review all the books, even test transactions, follow-up on A/P, spot check inventory, review contract terms and conditions, etc.. All of this would have been completed during their preliminary due diligence when they said they spent weeks at the factory. I just assumed what they meant was the need establish their own accounting systems to track things? If, in fact, the new owners have not done the financial due diligence...well...I really don't know what to say.

Daniel also invited me to Skype him, if anyone is interested in doing that, just use his email address.

#789 2 years ago

My wife just came in my office and asked me what the fuck is so funny.....

#790 2 years ago

Nice. NOBODY from Heighway old OR new has contacted me. They can suck it.

Quoted from Alphajerk3000:

Daniel also invited me to Skype him, if anyone is interested in doing that, just use his email address.

#791 2 years ago

I just got a reply today to my email, and I'll admit, the new owners sound genuine and I do believe they want to do the right thing. But with that said, I had filed a CC dispute to get my deposit back at least until quality machines are rolling. The email I got said they understood and would work with me to get my refund. Not sure if they notified anyone, but when I check with my CC company today, they said the return was final and was not going to be disputed. So at this point I am whole and will wait to see what happens in the next few weeks. I still want an alien pin, but I need to see some proof of what is going to happen.

#792 2 years ago
Quoted from BudManPinFan:

I think it would be pretty freakin' cool if after all of this mess they ended up turning out an awesome game that became a top 5 of all time...but I don't see it happening...I hope
I'm wrong.

I gave up Metallica to get mine. It's every bit as fun for me as Metallica or my Indiana Jones and that's without the Xeno mechanism working.

#793 2 years ago
Quoted from JeffF:

So glad I'm out free and clear from this dickwad company and their lies. Sorry, but Andrew played me and I will never be able to stomach anything Heighway related.
BTW, I will be shooting the Heighway neon I had made this weekend. Will post a closeup video of it going "poof" once the deed is done.

Why would you get a neon sign made, let alone not having the pin? Isn't that a little strange?

#794 2 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Why would you get a neon sign made, let alone not having the pin? Isn't that a little strange?

You can thank Andrew Heighway for that. The seller of pinball illusions......

#795 2 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

You can thank that POS Andrew Heighway for that. The seller of pinball illusions......

just a "bit" dramatic. Check the news man. If this is your biggest problem you're golden pony boy.

#796 2 years ago
Quoted from DerGoetz:

It may as well be that my game was build by a disgruntled coworker who swiftly got fired by Andrew the next day.
Mine was one of the few from Cointakers first shipment. You may know it from one of the factory videos. I have the LE with the dark chrome package, one of a kind. It was a prototype finish that never saw production. And that is a good thing.
As it rusted to hell where your palms touch the platfield glass frame....
Just my luck, hahah
Nah, I'm not angry, I'm heartbroken
I love this game, spend a good 100 hours on fixing and modding it. But without a working computer unit I am stuck
Once I have that replaced and Heighway start working on new code I'll be back in Full Throttle heaven

May I suggest debugging the game via console session? You will need a micro serial cable (Compulab ship these with the Utilite's, else abt 5 bucks from the retail giants) and a Linux/ Win machine with a terminal emulator to do this. I use good old Screen but HyperTerm in Win will do the job. Settings need to be 115200 8n1.

From the console you will see exactly what is happening if the game boots/fails/blah blah. If you prove the Utilite is busted the you simply buy a new one from Compulab. It's an ARMv7 Cortex CPU with Neon architecture and it runs a Yocto compiled Linux kernel. There are also plenty of other ARMv7 units out there which can/could be made to work.

They are a good unit apart from the poor quality, easily busted uSD slot. They have dual LAN, dual HDMI, WiFi, Bluetooth, 1.2Ghz CPU, 4 GB ram, 5 USB and 2 serial ports. I use the original I busted as a media server now I can boot it from USB.

Tech ref manual http://www.compulab.co.il/utilite-computer/download/documentation/utilite/utilite-technical-reference-manual.pdf

If you prove that the uSD card slot is at fault then you can update the uBoot f/w and boot from USB or TTTP or an mSata drive. Have you checked the uSD card for errors? May be as simple as some file system repair commands. The image has some ext4 filesystems which mess up uSD cards. In your console session you will see errors like "Card did not respond to voltage select!"

If you cannot prove the fault then create bootable Ubuntu uSD and fire up the Utilite using the procedure here http://www.compulab.co.il/utilite-computer/wiki/index.php/Utilite_Linux_Installation_and_Update.

There are also plenty of other ARMv7 units out there which can/could be made to work if needed and surely the code owner could cross compile.

Get the console session happening and you'll be playing the game again in no time. Happy to assist if required.

I've also had a lot of teething problems with my FullT and perhaps it was a little ambitious for a new manufacturers first game, but engineers of Andrew's calibre don't design "ordinary"

When the game is playing well it is crazy good. Must have spent 4 hours playing it today until my arms hurt.

It's just "got the shots"

#797 2 years ago
Quoted from Manimal:

I just got a reply today to my email, and I'll admit, the new owners sound genuine and I do believe they want to do the right thing. But with that said, I had filed a CC dispute to get my deposit back at least until quality machines are rolling. The email I got said they understood and would work with me to get my refund. Not sure if they notified anyone, but when I check with my CC company today, they said the return was final and was not going to be disputed. So at this point I am whole and will wait to see what happens in the next few weeks. I still want an alien pin, but I need to see some proof of what is going to happen.

I also got a reply with some more specific information in response to my concerns. For some reason they called my charge-back a refund too. I may be willing to cancel my charge-back if they can get me a machine.

Summary:

They claim that the Xeno and lighting issues have been corrected.

The new promised delivery dates rely on the suppliers coming through. Daniel says they are confident that the suppliers will be able to meet their requests.

They also claim they have the team necessary to build in the quantities they are projecting for "end of august" (175)

They are working on securing all of the final necessities (bank accounts , communication outlets) and expect that process to take about a week (or slightly longer).

Production planning continues as it is not affected by the transition activities.

They promise honest communications moving forward (progress or setbacks) .

To restore trust they will 'start by doing refunds' .

Unfortunately , i received no specific response on how to resolve my order. i expressed an interest to "stay in" , but was offered no incentive or information on how to achieve that result.

They may not be in a position to examine each case individually as of yet , but it would have been nice to hear that they would at least "look into it" .

I also hinted at possibly receiving some sort of perk for staying in (instead of the veiled threat of a price increase if you buy in later) and that was not addressed either. Hopefully , i can have that conversation when they can look at my order and see what the details are. I would expect that they would want to limit refunds or paying the charge-backs by offering some sort of incentive. If they are not willing to put in the effort to save my order then i just sit back and let the charge-back do the work. Not sure what their limit is but Discover(paid through paypal) had no problem with issuing a charge-back after 224 days.

It makes sense to believe that these guys are committed to make this pinball machine happen. Of course , it doesn't mean that they can't fail. It does bother me that they have already made a delivery promise of the 175 machines by end of august. Unexpected shit happens. The parts are not in hand. How many capable assemblers could possibly be on their team at this point?

Daniel has expressed in his reply to me that they have the team in place for production and that the parts will arrive in time. Not sure how many parts need to be ordered, but if one part goes wrong it could screw the whole plan.

I appreciate their communication and Daniel did reply to all of my concerns , although not to the extent of what happens to my specific order.

Hope this synopsis helps others.

I am cautiously positive at this point if my order isn't already cancelled.

#798 2 years ago
Quoted from shaneo:

May I suggest debugging the game via console session? You will need a micro serial cable (Compulab ship these with the Utilite's, else abt 5 bucks from the retail giants) and a Linux/ Win machine with a terminal emulator to do this. I use good old Screen but HyperTerm in Win will do the job. Settings need to be 115200 8n1.
From the console you will see exactly what is happening if the game boots/fails/blah blah. If you prove the Utilite is busted the you simply buy a new one from Compulab. It's an ARMv7 Cortex CPU with Neon architecture and it runs a Yocto compiled Linux kernel. There are also plenty of other ARMv7 units out there which can/could be made to work.
They are a good unit apart from the poor quality, easily busted uSD slot. They have dual LAN, dual HDMI, WiFi, Bluetooth, 1.2Ghz CPU, 4 GB ram, 5 USB and 2 serial ports. I use the original I busted as a media server now I can boot it from USB.
Tech ref manual http://www.compulab.co.il/utilite-computer/download/documentation/utilite/utilite-technical-reference-manual.pdf
If you prove that the uSD card slot is at fault then you can update the uBoot f/w and boot from USB or TTTP or an mSata drive. Have you checked the uSD card for errors? May be as simple as some file system repair commands. The image has some ext4 filesystems which mess up uSD cards. In your console session you will see errors like "Card did not respond to voltage select!"
If you cannot prove the fault then create bootable Ubuntu uSD and fire up the Utilite using the procedure here http://www.compulab.co.il/utilite-computer/wiki/index.php/Utilite_Linux_Installation_and_Update.
There are also plenty of other ARMv7 units out there which can/could be made to work if needed and surely the code owner could cross compile.
Get the console session happening and you'll be playing the game again in no time. Happy to assist if required.
I've also had a lot of teething problems with my FullT and perhaps it was a little ambitious for a new manufacturers first game, but engineers of Andrew's calibre don't design "ordinary"
When the game is playing well it is crazy good. Must have spent 4 hours playing it today until my arms hurt.
It's just "got the shots"

You've got to be kidding. He shouldn't have to do any of that... that's nuts.

#799 2 years ago

I think a Perk for staying in is a good idea....The printed Translite, seems like a good idea.

Under Cabinet lighting, is inexpensive....no rugs!

Even a non transferable Loyalty Coupon, for $300 off next title.

Something extra.....a little silly, but in the world today, needed...

#800 2 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

You've got to be kidding. He shouldn't have to do any of that... that's nuts.

Right...sounds easy, and surely you wouldn't screw anything up!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 18,500.00
Pinball Machine
www.retroarcade.se
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 279.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 750.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 23.25
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
The MOD Couple
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball
$ 7,299.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
There are 1528 posts in this topic. You are on page 16 of 31.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside