wrdTqFz[1] (resized).png
DF85002B-E470-4345-8F93-44FC32C41B8F (resized).jpeg
18FF8325-6F5C-4BDD-9562-3E851AE1080C.gif
Unknown (resized).jpeg
alien8 (resized).jpg
LJ (resized).jpg
Picture1 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

14 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 1,528 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 31.
#551 6 years ago
Quoted from terryb:

You don't threaten customers in order to get them to stay in, you give them an incentive to stay in: free shipping for any current pre-orders, for example. Or you get some free upgrade. We're talking about exceptionally loyal customers who have been jerked around for years and the new management chooses a stick over a carrot? Maybe a little reward for all the agony would be more appropriate.
If they can't afford to do this, as some have suggested, then they should just walk away from the deal and accept their loss.

I look at it like they are going to stick with the original agreement with the initial customers/pre-orderers, but once you jump off the train the original deal is lost. That is just common sense to me. There would have to be price increases at some point as my guess is the company wouldn't be successful at the original price point, which iirc is at least a couple of years old now.

#552 6 years ago

I wonder if something like asking pre orders to downgrade to a nominal $250 deposit. So they still are on the list as a buyer, but it's demonstrated that their money isn't needed until shipment.

#553 6 years ago

pull all of your money out of this sinking ship. Do not believe the sales tactics.

#554 6 years ago
Quoted from frolic:

I wonder if something like asking pre orders to downgrade to a nominal $250 deposit. So they still are on the list as a buyer, but it's demonstrated that their money isn't needed until shipment.

Something like that would be nice, I think. I have thought about requesting that they refund me only my second payment, leaving me with my initially $1500 deposit because, while I do still want the game, I'd (understandably) rather "downgrade" my risk some if possible. I may do so when I speak with them although I haven't been contacted at all yet.

Another concern is that I may still want to downgrade my LE order to a standard, but I won't decide that until I actually see an LE produced. If I choose to do that are they going to want to charge me the "increased" price for a standard and/or bump me to the back of the line for standard orders even though I've had cash in since Oct '15? Either of those scenarios would be a no-go for me and downright offensive, so I sincerely hope they're reasonable about it.

#555 6 years ago

Looks like GREAT news to me if it goes through

Option A Get your refund that was never coming prior to this possibility, put Heighway in the rear view mirror

Option B Get your refund and jump back in at a later date if its looking attractive to you

Option C Hang in there, chill out and don't worry about it

We have two more options now. Why is that a bad thing?

Everybody should do what's right for them, you don't need someone else to tell you what to do or how to spend your $$$

Even IF they didn't allow refunds, you now are going to get your pinball machine versus NOT getting it before.

Simple as that.

#556 6 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

pull all of your money out of this sinking ship. Do not believe the sales tactics.

whats your beef man? Every post of yours is sour grapes and just plain shitty towards the company. AFAIK noone has lost any money yet with Heighway.

#558 6 years ago

Also, not understanding the "price increase" strategy. I do believe that they probably do need to increase the price, but if they are taking on the business, they are talking to people who have lost confidence or need their money back.

I agree with the "offer free shipping" or similar approach.

The only thing that makes me believe in this are the people within Heighway supporting them.

The email is poorly conceived and composed (IMO) and makes me more wary than excited. People have been burned before by the "hey we are your pinball buddies" thing.

First step: Hire someone who knows how to design a professional document.

I'm accepting thumbs down for those that disagree. I have not received any communications, and i do want to be included in this stage of the process.

#559 6 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

Quoted from HeighwayPinball:

You should know that there are some Pinsiders here with ulterior motives - with an interest in bringing our company down.

Interesting to skim the latest Alien threads with this perspective in mind. Everyone seems to have agendas from a hopeful optimism to just wanting to play in a shitbox.

Good lord, I've never been so entertained.

#560 6 years ago

Hopefully they get their act together and everyone gets what they were promised. I'd have a real hard time sending any money to a fledgling and unproven company based solely on hopes and promises. I don't even trust Stern enough to be an early buyer of any of their games....that's for a different set of reasons mind you. Good luck to all involved.

#561 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinballgeek:

This was posted on another thread but I don't see it here, it was sent out to those who requested a refund I believe:
Hi Pinball friend!
We are reaching out to you since you have pre-ordered an Alien Pinball from us at Heighway Pinball. Sadly we have also received your request for a refund. I don’t know if you are aware of the latest changes at Heighway Pinball? Times are a changing and to the better! There is no denial that there has been a massive struggle getting to the stage of mass production. As you might have heard there has been changes in the management at Heighway recently. The group of investors that previously was minor shareholders, and uninvolved in the daily business, is now leading the company into the next phase of the company’s development. Don’t worry, we will carry on the legacy from Andrew when it comes to making great pinball machines based on great themes, but we will also bring a completely new dimension to the management side of the company. The investment group consists of business men with a BIG heart for pinball! We simply know a lot about how to run businesses successfully at the same time as we love pinball and everything that has to do with it (whether it be collecting, restoring, competing etc.)
To further introduce us to you, please find the core team below. There are more investors involved but these guys are the main group who will be driving Heighway Pinball forward:
Roger Svanevik and Cato Paus-Skrede – Norwegians.
A little about us. We have been together as “brothers” since the 80’s. We started a business together in the fire protection field in the 90’s and built it from the ground up. We also have background in business, computers and programming. We are involved in several businesses and have been involved in building most of them from the ground up. Today we are involved in and run our own businesses in fire protection, software development, construction material production, digital printing and marketing products and game operating. Some of you might have seen us and talked to us around the world on pinball shows as we love pinball.
Daniel Janson – Swedish.
My story with pinball started in a snack bar in the early 80’s. My background is with IT, I am a computer guy who started my own business in 2001, a business that today employs quite some people at a few offices around Sweden. My base skill is software programming and I originally started programming to develop computer games. In 2012 I decided to start a pinball shop since there were none in Sweden at the time. So, I started Free Play which have grown into a business on its own for the last 5 years. We may have met at some pinball show in the past years, possibly in a competition or at the Heighway Pinball booth.
Patrik Tenn – Swedish.
If you ever visit Sweden you need to come by my place, a nice place for pinheads since my pinball collection contains around 100 machines. I started a manufacturing business in the mid-90’s that runs still. My first business was founded already back in 1988. I bring vast experience in the field of manufacturing to Heighway Pinball and knows a lot about how to run a production line efficiently.
Alexander Spohr – German.
I got my first pinball when I was eleven, an Orbit. Since then I founded three companies with different partners, employing more than 150 people. They are still in existence, one is now part of a larger one.
Pinball may be a difficult business. But I am used to tackle problems in my way and overcome them.
We would like to speak to you and ask why you have asked for a refund for Alien. We are straightforward about this and are obviously very interested to know if there is anything that could make you change your mind now that things finally start to get exciting? We do have a solid plan moving forwards which we will share with you on the phone. We sincerely hope you are willing to let us explain our thoughts for the way forward.
Due to increased production cost of Alien since the game was initially announced we want you to know there is a price increase planned in the near future – however, as a pre-order customer you are still entitled to the price you got when placing your pre-order.
We will give you a call in the next few days and are looking forward to a really nice pinball conversation!
Very Best Regards,
The new management of Heighway Pinball
Alien as it stands is £5.625k and a Stern Star Wars Pro is £6.250k so with the price increase as long as the game is cheaper than a Stern Pro then that will hopefully sway people over

So damage control comes first? I dont get it. Your supporters, your backers, clients, should always come FIRST. Gather your supporters, regroup, discuss the game plan, let them know what is going on, THEN go get the folks that bailed, THEN find new buyers. I dont care who these guys are, not impresses so far.

#563 6 years ago

Hey gang, I've deleted 7 posts out of the last twenty that were just "...."; please do not make posts that are composed of only dots. Thank you.

#564 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

Hey gang, I've deleted 7 posts out of the last twenty that were just "...."; please do not make posts that are composed of only dots. Thank you.

Will do...

#565 6 years ago
Quoted from TigerLaw:

ditto

#566 6 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Well, this is an interesting development. A list of questions I know will be raised:
-Who are you? What's your background?
-Do you have an existing interest or background in pinball?
-Do you have experience in manufacturing?
-Is your plan to continue the company or liquidate it?
-Are buyers going to be made whole either through full refunds or the games they ordered?
-Are staff, contractors, and/or suppliers that are owed payment going to be made whole?
-Since Andrew was responsible for the vision behind getting Heighway started, will he continue to be a part of the company in some way?
-What will happen with warranty coverage on existing games out in the wild?
-If you have plans to continue with production, what sort of timeline could we expect, and how many games per week/month could be expected to be shipped?
-Has cointaker's shipment of games been located/delivered?

they answered most of your questions in the announcement

#567 6 years ago
Quoted from TimberOne:

So damage control comes first? I dont get it. Your supporters, your backers, clients, should always come FIRST. Gather your supporters, regroup, discuss the game plan, let them know what is going on, THEN go get the folks that bailed, THEN find new buyers. I dont care who these guys are, not impresses so far.

1. it's certainly part of the process
2. why are you automatically going with this as their first act?
3. supporters, backers and clients are on that list too.
4. if you are not impressed then dont buy the fuggin thing

#568 6 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Looks like GREAT news to me if it goes through
Option A Get your refund that was never coming prior to this possibility, put Heighway in the rear view mirror
Option B Get your refund and jump back in at a later date if its looking attractive to you
Option C Hang in there, chill out and don't worry about it
We have two more options now. Why is that a bad thing?
Everybody should do what's right for them, you don't need someone else to tell you what to do or how to spend your $$$
Even IF they didn't allow refunds, you now are going to get your pinball machine versus NOT getting it before.
Simple as that.

seems pretty simple to me too but the whiners and cynics would rather go in the other direction. pathetic really...

#569 6 years ago
Quoted from Msch:

you have no clue and your negative speculative bullshit is old and tired. get lost.

#570 6 years ago

Two posts, zero worthwhile content. Take your own advice.

#571 6 years ago

My understanding about the price increase is that it already happened so it is more a reminder of the value of your option.

#572 6 years ago

Alien-Dot2Dot (resized).pngAlien-Dot2Dot (resized).png

#573 6 years ago

I have a thought... how about no one posts to give money, wait on it, or ask for a refund?

That way, unequivocally, everyone is 100% responsible for themselves......

#575 6 years ago

I feel like every 6 months or so history is repeated and I'm reading the same thread but only the name of the failing company is different.

#576 6 years ago

Meanwhile behind the facade of this innocent looking pinball factory...

#577 6 years ago

I had paid in full to my distributor, and although this looks like good news, it is still too much for me right now. I really do hope the company succeeds and that i will be able to buy an Alien pinball machine one day, (hell I have strobe lights on order from china; if anybody want to buy them from me). I am still concerned with the Quality of the build and the computers at this point. I wish them all the luck in the world and hope to be a customer in a year or two.

#578 6 years ago

although... i couldn't go another year without some kind of alien in my life so i went for attack from mar remake..... i think once Alien proves itself it would look pretty fricken good beside AFMR

#579 6 years ago

I didn't see it in this article or in this thread, but reading between the lines Andrew is still a part of the company, yeah? Just in a slightly different role?

Having been through some dot com boom startups, it makes me a bit sad to read about the downfall of Heighway Pinball. To put all that passion and time into something and have it not work out is pretty devastating. But, at least there are some investors picking things up, so that, hopefully, turns into a positive.

I don't know what the future holds, but I really want an Alien pinball machine. Hopefully, things get back on track and all of us who want one can get one in the near future!

#580 6 years ago
Quoted from rcbrown316:

1. it's certainly part of the process
2. why are you automatically going with this as their first act?
3. supporters, backers and clients are on that list too.
4. if you are not impressed then dont buy the fuggin thing

That ship already sailed. Sent deposit in February. No correspondance, still although others who are requesting refunds have. I guess i will get my letter next week when i request my refund.

#581 6 years ago

Not sure if this has already been posted? was at the end of the email I got, so thought to share:

"Now to the exciting part – the production and time line moving forwards.
We are currently ordering loads of parts (there is stock from before so not all parts need to be ordered) from our suppliers to build 175 games until the end of August. That is our fixed target. The number comes from a short, but slower, start-up period starting second half of June where we need to adjust the production line accordingly, before hitting approximately 100 games a month from August and onwards. The production rate will then increase gradually to full capacity later in the year. This means that some of you will get your game before the end of August, but some will have to wait longer. If you have paid a deposit or partly paid your game you will be asked to pay in full prior to shipment, but not until we have a confirmed delivery week for your machine in place. The investor group will attend the factory on a daily basis from now on, but please let us remind you that is not us who actually build your games. Even though there have been changes in the management of the company, and yes new leadership is important no doubt about that, it is the team in Wales/US that truly makes this come true. The manufacturing team in Wales have built games for a long time by now and they are the true heroes when it comes to bringing your game to your door. We will continue to keep you posted about the progress so stay tuned!"

Sounds very promising, but I hope any current known issues with the game are already addressed because they want to start production in only a couple of weeks.

#582 6 years ago

Have people already forgotten again that there are incomplete design issues with Alien?

The problems have still not been fully corrected regarding the Xeno head, and unless something has changed the coding remains incomplete. This is barring any of the other potential onesy, twosy problems initial owners have reported.

It does not matter if the investors have an army of miracle working Keebler elves borrowed from Santa Claus at the North Pole, and the games will be delivered express personally by Santa himself via reindeer and his magical sleigh, if the company does not solve the board and assembly issues.

Also, understand the pinball industry when somebody says "they need to order parts". This is not a process that takes days, it takes WEEKS minimum. PCBs, cabinets, and playfields can take MONTHS if not on hand. If an order gets screwed up, you cannot build the games at all. Anyone that believes there are hundreds of cabinets standing by for finished wired playfields are smoking weed. People do not even know if there are sufficient ink screened playfield blanks to build games anyway.

In essence pre-order buyers get more examples of advanced prototype games, if HP could even start production any sooner than late July or early August, which is extremely aggressive. Owners are looking at shipping dates sometime late in the fall, if everything is rosey, which almost never happens in pinball construction.

This is an grandiose opportune moment to gain some serious pinball wisdom. I recommend people make the right choice and avoid an inevitable hot mess. If an owner wants a game, it will be available later.

Don't make more mistakes, and repeat the past yet again. Listen to people that understand and have watched it happen long, long before the days of Zidware, Skit-B, HP, P3, Retro LLC, JJP, or even IPB.

If not, good luck.

#583 6 years ago
Quoted from xTheBlackKnightx:

Have people already forgotten again that there are incomplete design issues with the Alien?
The problems have still not been corrected.

What problems?

#584 6 years ago

The ball-eating xenomorph doesn't work correctly in the prototype games.

#585 6 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

The ball-eating xenomorph doesn't work correctly in the prototype games.

Pretty sure this was covered. They have redesigned it now which sorted out the problems? I believe the last few games actually got shipped with this new Xeno Head part.

#586 6 years ago

also heard reports about the LCD screen in the playfield not staying flush with the playfield surface & that needing some serious attention

#587 6 years ago
Quoted from take2-take5:

Pretty sure this was covered. They have redesigned it now which sorted out the problems? I believe the last few games actually got shipped with this new Xeno Head part.

This.

#588 6 years ago

The problems have still not been fully corrected regarding the Xeno head, and unless something has changed the coding remains incomplete. This is barring any of the other potential onsy, twosy problems initial owners have reported.

As an owner, I can tell you the code is the least of my worries. I'm on version 0.94, which is a few releases behind what what's in the most recent machine delivered to Canada. Even at .94, the code is very good - all modes, wizard modes and multi-balls are implimented - rules, sounds and video assets are GREAT IMHO.

As for the hardware, yes, I suspect there may still be some issues. We all know the xeno mech needed work - but again - I think the most recent machine delivered to Canada DID have the imprioved mech and board (he posted pictures). There is also an issue with the GI lighting - early machines like mine have 'tower GI' which will need to be completely replaced. In fact, until I get the new hardware (xeno and GI) I am not able to update code.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned is the build time for each machine. If they want to reduce this, I suspect they may alter/simplify some of the design. For example, when I picked up my machine at TPF, the facehuggers were not installed on the slings. No biggie right? Well, I know my way around a pinball machine, and it still took me over two hours to get those installed. It's a bit complicated, as you have to remove 'C' clips from the slingshot arm, pull it out, drill some holes, mount the facehuggers, (I also had to dremmel the screws used as the ones Andrew gave to me were too long), then from the top of the machine you have to guide the slignshot arm back into place and replace the 'C' clips. It's tiedious, and it's just a cosmetic part.

#589 6 years ago
Quoted from TecumsehPlissken:

also heard reports about the LCD screen in the playfield not staying flush with the playfield surface & that needing some serious attention

This is true - it's a pretty easy fix. But yes, it should be fixed at the factory before being delivered.

#590 6 years ago

Good Lord people! Speculation, speculation, speculation.

I've decided I'm only going to pay attention to posts made by current investors and current employees of Heighway pinball.

EVERYTHING else is just speculation or shit that happened on the old watch.

Seems to me it doesn't really matter now what Andrew did or does. Andrew is out. All that matters now is what are the intentions and capabilities of the new owners? If they are willing to throw whatever funds are needed this could still work. Hell, we've all seen it work with JJP.

Alien is far enough along that MONEY can get it finished. Enough cash and this game will ship.

According to the last person to revive a game, he received a Production Game! Xeno fixed.

#591 6 years ago
Quoted from SunKing:

This is true - it's a pretty easy fix. But yes, it should be fixed at the factory before being delivered.

Yeah pretty unbelievable that no one on the design team or the assemblers thought to use nylock nuts on that. I'm guessing that they were used on FTH, so why not Alien? Poor staff training and the rush to get them built?

Quoted from Astropin:

Good Lord people! Speculation, speculation, speculation.
Alien is far enough along that MONEY can get it finished. Enough cash and this game will ship.

That's true, but should that money be yours? If their pockets are as deep as they say they are, refund those that want out, let them spend the time and money sorting out the niggles and relaunch with a fully working, ready to buy machine.

#592 6 years ago

I asked for a refund of my deposit two days ago and made my request again this morning when I got the email everyone is getting who pre ordered. If I see games shipping in mass, working properly, and being supported, I might get back in.

#593 6 years ago

Been paid in full... I'm not getting any damned emails... wtf...

#594 6 years ago

Is cointaker in USA back on board and taking orders? I will buy this pin...eventully. But it needs to be in a box, in front of me, at a Ca distributor. Cointaker and those that run it are a great company, but they are not on west coast. Cointaker, please find a partner distributor in Ca. Plenty of trains, c-containers and trucks to bring loads of these to distribution center here on our coast.
Betson would be a good option.
I look forward to the deveolpment and growth at Highway pinball and purchase my machine in mid to late 2018, figure thats about right.

#595 6 years ago
Quoted from take2-take5:

It would be nice if someone with a fully working Xeno would toss up a gameplay video of it working.. I'm sure folks would love to see that and would help build confidence in the game.

#597 6 years ago

Got the same email this morning. It was nice to see them reaching out without me having to request a refund (yet), but that timetable makes me fairly nervous. As much as I'd like to receive a game, I'd much rather receive a working game that is delayed a bit more.

For example, while they did improve the xeno mech, but I haven't heard much about the new one at all, so I'm hopeful but its still a bit of a wildcard in my mind. Likewise, I hope that the issues with the pre-production GI boards is gone, but I'm not sure we'll know until more games get out. Finally, it'd be nice if various other, more minor fixes/tweaks suggested by some of the "prototype" owners could be implemented (like the playfield screen staying flush), but given the proposed timetable, it seems doubtful. I understand that I'm an early adopter in this case and I don't mind having to fix a few things, but its when some of those "things" might require replacement parts (proprietary switches?) that I get (understandably) worried given the current situation.

Anyhow, going abroad for a vacation for a week starting tomorrow, so I'll have to think about what I want to do and deal with this **** when I get back.

#598 6 years ago
Quoted from lapean111:

» YouTube video

Looks good, and appears to be another Xeno video that YT will queue after this one..

#599 6 years ago
Quoted from Sonny_Jim:

That's true, but should that money be yours? If their pockets are as deep as they say they are, refund those that want out, let them spend the time and money sorting out the niggles and relaunch with a fully working, ready to buy machine.

Never said or implied it should be with "our" money. Of course they should refund everyone who wants one. But...refunds are not going to happen today...or yesterday. Andrew is gone so he can't refund money. The paperwork on taking this whole thing over has not been signed yet so the new investors can't issue refunds yet. I's need to be dotted and T's crossed...then (and only then) can real shit start happening.

People demanding a refund NOW...well I think they're yelling into the wind. YES...request your refunds if you want out...but don't expect a response until the buyout is finalized.

And yes I realize the investors are making inquiries with those who have asked for refunds...I would do likewise if I was them.

BTW...the part about a price increase...that's going out to everyone, not just people asking for a refund. I think a price increase was inevitable given what the competition is doing; the timeframe involved with Alien's development and that these guys are trying to get this train back on the tracks.

Will they succeed? I have no effing clue and neither do you (by you I mean everyone).

#600 6 years ago

Have people already forgotten again that there are incomplete design issues with Alien?
The problems have still not been fully corrected regarding the Xeno head, and unless something has changed the coding remains incomplete. This is barring any of the other potential onsy, twosy problems initial owners have reported.
It does not matter if the investors have an army of miracle working Keebler elves borrowed from Santa Claus at the North Pole, and the games will be delivered express personally by Santa himself via reindeer and his magical sleigh, if the company does not solve the board and assembly issues.
Also, understand the pinball industry when somebody says "they need to order parts". This is not a process that takes days, it takes WEEKS minimum. PCBs can take MONTHS. If an order gets screwed up, you cannot build the games at all.
In essence pre-order buyers get more examples of advanced prototype games, if HP could even start production any sooner than late July or early August, which is very aggressive. Owners are looking at shipping dates sometime late in the fall, if everthing is rosey, which never happens in pinball construction.
This is an grandious opportune moment to gain some serious pinball wisdom. I recommend people make the right choice and avoid an inevitable hot mess. If an owner wants a game, it will be available later.
Don't make more mistakes, and repeat the past yet again. Listen to people that understand and have watched it happen long, long before the days of Zidware, Skit-B, HP, P3, Retro LLC, JJP, or even IPB.
If not, good luck.

fairly sage advice aside from your assumption that the parts are not ready to ship to heighway. I understand what you are saying about ordering parts and agree with it but there's also a chance that their vendors produced the stuff and got temporarily stiffed by heighway due to lack of funds. your snarky attack with santa and elf references on a thread by a group that has come to deliver a positive message is a classic example of why pinside in general is known to host a bunch of whiners. you are a smart guy that likely influences others opinions and actions. Look at the big picture of whats going on here and try to take a less cynical approach on this one. This situation could have been much much worse for those that preordered.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 810.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

9,799 (OBO)
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,100.00
Lighting - Interactive
Evolution Mods

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

13,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Litchfield Park, AZ
There are 1,528 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 31.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rebirth-of-heighway-pinball/page/12?hl=take2-take5 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.