Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by L8vid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

I have a backglass that has large pieces of the backglass peeling of at the bottom. The peeling pieces are in good shape I just need to reattach them to the glass. What is the best way? Will superglue do it? Also wondered if I sprayed the glass with triple thick if it would reattach the peeling sections. Figured when I got the pieces reattached I would triple thick the back. Can anyone give me any pointers?
Thanks

#2 9 years ago

The only technique I know of is to spray with triple thick and then lay Saran Wrap on top while its still wet. Then with your hand or fingers press the artwork down onto the glass. A rubber roller would probably be best but I've never done that. Let everything dry overnight and then remove the Saran Wrap. Make sure its completely dry before removing the wrap. Its amazing how the wrap does not dry to the glass.

You will have some cracks in the artwork but its much better than losing it all together. And sometimes it looks fairly decent and can be touched up with paint over the triple thick.

Note: I have done this many times but *never* with large pieces. Be careful with the triple thick propellant. You don't want to blow any chips of artwork away.

I'm nervous of the advice I've provided here because you say the pieces are large. Hopefully someone else will chime in.

#3 9 years ago

Here's video and instructions:
http://pinballhelp.com/tag/triple-thick/

#4 9 years ago

I asked this in vid's repair pages and the general consensus was it's ok to superglue it on - as long as it lays flat.

Then triple thick it once it is dried.

I have not tried this though. YYMV

#5 9 years ago

Superglue it down. Triple thick will not be effective unless you get it between the artwork and glass. And trying to spray TT under the artwork will just make it flap around and possibly do more damage.

#6 9 years ago

Hank learns ya all about Bally backglass resto:

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 22.50
Magazines/books
Pinball Magazine
Magazines/books
$ 45.00
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 199.95
$ 10.00
$ 10.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reattaching-peeling-backglass-art-on-a-bally-solid-state and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.