(Topic ID: 230995)

Reasonable scheduling/shipping time

By Daditude

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

What is a reasonable time for a seller to schedule a pickup date and how long should shipping take?

Here's the story:

I recently bought a pinball machine (I paid via paypal goods and services) on Thanksgiving morning (11/22). I reached out to Michelle Bianchi with STI to do the pickup. It is a white glove pickup, so the shipper breaks the pin down, wraps and packages it, and carries it out. She quoted it and reached out to the seller that monday (11/26) to schedule the pickup time. Here I am on thursday, dec 6, still waiting for the seller to schedule a pickup time. I mean....thats over a week and a half! To my knowledge, they (shipper and seller) have not even got into contact yet.

I have spoken with the shipper and the seller a few times. They both claim to have reached out to the other party. I know that the shipper has made efforts...im not convinced of the sellers efforts. I have relayed messages/phone numbers to the seller to reach out to the shipper as well.

What else can I do?

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from ReplayRyan:

For a moment there I thought this might be about me as I am having a machine picked up tomorrow and going to TX via STI. I sold the machine on 11/30 and for reference I got a call from the scheduler 2 days after the shipment was booked, and they had the following day and 3 days from then available for pickup.
    There are a couple variables involved when shipping with STI. First, you have to understand that STI uses regional subcontractors and some are generally more competent than others. 10 years ago in PA I would deal with A. Santini Moving as the STI sub, out of NJ. Many of those guys would show up un-announced, lie all the time, etc. Then the sub changed to Clemmer Moving which was much better overall, although because I was considered slightly more rural they had less days available to come my way. Where I am now in FL I deal with King Logistics as the sub and they are somewhere in between...nice guys that always call ahead but sometimes hard to reach the dispatcher/scheduler or I don't hear from them for 3-4 days, so I'll often call them to schedule. Oh and I have to ask them really nice to wrap and leave the blankets on the machine rather than taking them off at the warehouse. But this is me, who knows STI well and has used them for hundreds (maybe a thousand+) shipments.
    Depending on who your seller is, what their schedule/availability is like, and their local subcontractor it is hard to say what a reasonable time is or what you should do. If your seller has a day job it can be tough as most STI subs only come during the day on weekdays and in my experience they generally don't call you every day to try and reach you.
    I would say that you know your limits and if the seller is not able to go out of their way to make the pickup work within your timeframe/patience limit then your only real option is to cancel the shipment and perhaps the sale. Good luck!

The seller is located in Maine. Im not sure when he works, but he did ask me about weekend pickups...which i referred him to ask the shipper about (since i believe they do week daytime only)...so hopefully that isnt the issue. If so, i may have to ask a fellow pinsider if they could help me out...or else i may have to cancel the sale.

My REAL concern is the fact that the shippers have said they have tried to call him multiple times with no answer or return calls. The seller states that he has tried to contact them as well with no response...which is strange because i have had ZERO problems calling and reaching them.

To add insult to injury, i just bought another item from a different seller, contacted the shippers this morning, and they had a pickup set up within an hour.

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from WolfManCat:

I had a similar problem. I bought a machine but couldn't get the sellers schedule to work with the 4 hour window the hauler was giving him. We ended up resolving it by scheduling what they call an "on-time" pickup window, which ended up costing me a bit more but worked. I wonder if you can set a specific delivery time with your buyer and schedule an "on-time" delivery date with STI?

Thanks for the info.

Im not sure if that is offered, but i will ask. I am about at the point where i feel like i am being scammed or the seller just isnt making the time/effort to get the pickup completed. I wish the seller would be more communicative with me. If it was a scheduling issue, I wish he would be upfront about it so we could figure it out. It is very frustrating.

#7 5 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I'm not sure about your pick up problem, but I believe this is incorrect.
    With "white glove" service, they will carry the game out however you have it prepared, but will not do any "breaking down".
    Then if they are prepared, they will stick a few cardboard corners on it, maybe a blanket and some shrink wrap. Or they might just put it on the truck and tell you they are going to wrap it later.
    Then it gets moved from depot to depot, zigzagging across the country, sometimes going in the completely wrong direction and spending a week or two in Montana.
    By the time it arrives, hopefully nobody has stuck a forklift through it in the meantime.

I have made a point to set it up with full service as a convenience to the seller. All of those niceties have already been paid for and included.

At this point, i just need him to contact them (or answer when they contact him), and set a pickup.

The actual shipping may take longer due to the holidays and/or other stops...but I have to worry about the pickup first. If we can get to that point, I will feel 100x better about it.

#11 5 years ago

I was able to reach the seller and ask him if there was a scheduling conflict. He said it was due to work and he is mainly available on weekends. This is not (IMO) a good excuse to have not even gotten in touch with the shippers...but i can understand somewhat.

Are there any shippers who pickup on weekends?

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from luckymoey:

I’d give him a short string to arrange shipment (couple more days at most) or refund payment. It’s not right to agree to ship and take take full payment if you're not ready to spend the time to complete the deal. Unless it’s a special pin, you’re in a great location for an equal or better deal to come along.

The irony is...i can rarely ever find decent pins locally at reasonable prices. Im very in tune with the market, and almost all listings near me are double or triple what they typically go for. It is annoying.

As far as the pin i paid for...it is special. A holy grail of sorts. If it were anything less, i would have already requested a refund.

#15 5 years ago

I always tend to believe in the best in people, so i am trying to give the seller the benefit of the doubt. At thos point,however, i feel that a simple phone call would alleviate a lot of problems. I sent a message to the selker tnat i need him toset up a pickup by this next Tuesday for this next week, or i would have to cancel the transaction. He seems motivated, but we will see. I am very interested in the machine, but it is time to get the process moving. I cant wAit any longer.

#16 5 years ago

Update:
    I contacted the seller on friday telling him that i would give him a few more days, but i needed him to at least get a pickup date set by tuesday for this week sometime.

It seems to be his work schedule that is the issue, but i feel i have waited long enough.

He said he would reach out to them as soon as he could.

Should I give him the option to drop it off as well (like via his local fastenal, on a pallet)?
    Im just concerned that if his schedule is weekdays and that keeps him from setting a pickup date...why would he be able to palletize, wrap and secure, and drop it off?

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Something is really fishy at this point. If it were me I'd be focusing on getting my money back. Do you mind stating what game/ad it is? I'm curious to see if there are any other red flags.

I would prefer not to disclose it at this point, but it is sort of a grail game for me. I would certainly do everything within reason to make it work.

The seller has said he has been unable to reach the shipping company (which he works during their hours, so it is possible. )

He said for me to try to reach them and set it up for this friday (the time they are in his area), and he will have a family member there for the pickup.

#21 5 years ago

...and the saga continues

As a preface, I should say that this is the reason why people don't ship. I will certainly think twice next time.

I contacted the seller stating that a plan has to be set by today (Tues) and it has to be picked up/shipped before the end of the week (Fri), or I need to cancel. He seems to be on the same page, but come to find out...he is on a dead end road...which means the shipping truck cant turn around and they will have to send a different vehicle at a HUGE additional cost. Yeah. Forget that.

I reconnected with fastenal. It has to be put on a pallet, secured, and wrapped...then dropped off at a nearby station. I set everything up...he just needs to drop it off...hopefully he does.

He stated that he will drop it off by 1pm friday. I asked him to let me know when he does it and i will contact fastenal to double-check that they receive it.

Any more hiccups and I'm done.

#25 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

Good luck and let us know how it turns out eventually. This is a crazy amount of logistics for one pinball machine due to your seller. It almost sounds as though he doesn't really want to sell the machine as he keeps coming up with one excuse after another.
    You are either the most patient person on planet Earth or this game has some kind of crazy sentimental value to you and it cannot be found anywhere else.
    Gord

Random question here, but...did you go to that big pinball/arcade sale this last saturday in castle pines, CO?

#27 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

This is the first that I have heard anything about this sale. Was it an auction of old pinball machine and arcade games?
    Gord

It was for a charity. Mostly older, but a few newer as well. It had incredible deals.

#28 5 years ago
    Quoted from Daditude:

It was for a charity. Mostly older, but a few newer as well. It had incredible deals.

There was one I wanted badly. Olympic Hockey....and at a great price. I contacted them in the first ad i saw for it...with NO response. A couple of ads later, i contacted them again and they ssif it was spoken for. Im not sure why they didnt respond to me at first, but i would have had to get creative to go out and pick it up anyway, so i didnt make a big fuss.

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from GRB1959:

I don't really have any room for any more games, but I would be glad to check a game out for a fellow pinsider when it is local to me and Castle Rock is about a 25-30 minute drive for me. I am assuming that this is the game that you were interested in.
    https://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1709&picno=1654
    Shipping a game like this would likely kill the deal as it would cost you around $400-ish to ship from Colorado to Texas. What is the value of a game like this?
    Gord

Thats the game!

Unfortunately, it was just a one day clearance, and that time has passed by. I appreciate your offer to pick it up, however! Thank you.

#31 5 years ago

Unfortunately, this story has taken a turn for the worse. The seller never took the pin to be shipped (despite repeatedly saying he would, even up until the last hour he had to do it). After his time line had passed, I told him i wanted to cancel the transaction and have my money refunded. He still hasn't responded...that was about 8 hours ago. I like to believe that he was just having a hard time with aligning his schedule with the shippers...but the lack of communication, lack of drive to complete the sale, and now having no response kind of throws that out the window.

I paid via paypal goods and services, so i filed a claim on him.

For those interested, the seller in question is fred gonzales in Maine, and the machine was a jurassic park.

The other thing that sucks is that during this whole thing, i came across 2 other pinballs that i would have loved to have (one was another jurassic park about 3 hours away)...but my money was (and still is) tied up in this one...so i missed out on those too.

Even worse, this was supposed to be a Christmas surprise for my wife and 3 kids. Now that won't happen.

Hopefully i get my money back with no problems. I should have paypal's protection on it.

I would definitely be overly cautious the next time i need to get a pin shipped. I would MUCH rather get one local or even have to take a reasonable road trip over shipping.

I would absolutely need to set up a shipping plan beforehand and not pay until the shippers show up at their home or when they take it to drop off.

I wish this would have ended better...

#35 5 years ago
    Quoted from PinMonk:

This Fred gonzales?
    https://www.caledonianrecord.com/news/local/judge-moves-to-protect-alleged-victim-in-assault-case/image_f2317f45-1a5e-5602-ba89-6c4391430f24.html
    It says he's in jail in Vermont because that's where his wife is (another article posts her ACTUAL ADDRESS - seems irresponsible since she's a victim of assault) as of last month, but only less than 2 hours from the Maine border...
    EDIT: Mr. Pinball ad:
    "Jurassic Park, 1993 Data East: 2300
    In exceptional condition, perfect top box topper not faded nor striped full LED conversion, insert decal targets, still has the original stock islands.
    Fred
    Maine 04071"
    No wonder...that place has become a hive of scum and villainy.

Im not sure if that's the same person, but that is the same ad. I need to figure out how to get them to put (scam) by the title.

I've heard all the stories about mr. Pinball, but i figured there has to be some real ads on there...right?
    I tried to protect myself by double checking the pics to make sure they are real, from the same machine, and not pulled off the internet (via google reverse imaging). I double checked for a real address and good contact info, and i paid via paypal goods and services for my protection.

I guess all of that wasn't enough.

After not answering me for about 12 hours, the guy actually messaged me back this email this morning:
    "He got himself involved in some shit. I understand if you want your money back, give me a day or two to get your refund."

I'm not sure if this is a family member, if he is referring to his cousin (who he said would help him by dropping it off) or what...

It is not very clear. Probably by design.

#36 5 years ago

I wish i knew someone who lived in Maine so i could have them drop over there and pick the machine up...if it is even there.

#38 5 years ago

Update:
    In spite of a few emails and a couple of texts, I haven't heard back from the seller in a few days.

I did have the ad marked as a scam and the seller added to the known scammers list. I also filed a claim on the paypal G&S payment a few days ago.
    I should be protected since i paid this way, so hopefully I will get refunded soon. The scammers obviously have no interest in contacting me further.

In the future, i will have to use escrow.com and go with better known trusted sellers. Of course, local/nearby pickups will trump all.

Sometimes you just have to go all out for those grail pins. If one comes up that I have to go after, I will be wiser next time.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider daditude.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reasonable-scheduling-shipping-time?tu=daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.