(Topic ID: 300948)

Reasonable price to charge a family friend for pin shop job?

By Knxwledge

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Knxwledge
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BrianBannon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#37 2 years ago
    Quoted from rotordave:

Then you’re buying yourself a free job for life.
    Every time it breaks down, “oh he’ll come over and fix that for me!”
    That’s not going to end well.
    rd

This is true. Just over ten years ago I helped an acquaintance with a game repair. It wasn't a big deal and the repair was minor. He had another problem a few months after that and it was more complex and took up nearly an hour to diagnose and fix. I had asked him to buy a manual the first time I came over and after the second repair--which would have been easier had a manual and schematic been on site, I told him that until he starts to help himself and me by buying a manual, that I wouldn't come over and fix the game again. Both repairs were no charge. Fast forward eight years and it is the middle of December and he texts me asking to fix his game as he has people coming over for the holidays. Haven't heard from him in all that time. I asked him if he bought a manual, and he answers no so I give him the names of a couple of techs in the area that might be able to fix the game. Manual available or not, I wasn't going back over to fix his game. I still do repairs for friends all the time and don't mind doing it, but as in the above example, you just have to realize when someone is simply taking advantage of you being helpful.

I think in the OPs example, I would treat it as a business transaction and leave it at that.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider BrianBannon.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reasonable-price-to-charge-a-family-friend-for-pin-shop-job?tu=BrianBannon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.