Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 76 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by Johnny
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC01783.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnny.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 12 years ago

So, as you can probably tell, I finally got my STTNG. I guess this is a case of be careful what you wish for. I would have at least hoped that it would last me more than a couple days before the problems began.

First, my left cannon starts running like crap. I checked for obstructions and the like, found nothing. When I choose Launch Probe, there are NO lit targets to aim for anymore. After I shoot from it, it SLOOOOOOWLY returns to home then fires again on its own. That causes Data to say the probe has discovered nothing. WTF?

Now it seems I'm having some software problems. In the middle of a mission, if I fire behind the Borg ship, it causes the "The Borg have entered Federation space" thing. Again, no lit targets to aim for, then it will just randomly go back to the mission I was doing prior to that.

Then, maybe I'm wrong here, but it seems I get some random multiballs.

This experience has really dampened my enthusiasm toward pinball. I LOVE to play, but I don't even know where to begin trouble shooting this kinda stuff.

Way in over my head, methinks

Sorry guys. I'm frustrated and had to vent. Really feel maybe I got stuck with a lemon. It seemed fine when I checked everything out. Played for about an hour, and all was good. Transport was soft and smooth. I'm stumped

#3 12 years ago

I flipped it open looking for anything obvious, and found no broken solders and the like. Checked fuses, everything was good. Ran the diagnostic/test thing and found no errors. I'm trying to get to know some people, but it's hard in my area. It's all business here.

#7 12 years ago

Thanks for the encouraging words guys. It would please me greatly to get this pin 100%. I've wanted it for 17 years, and if any pin is worth the pain to be my first, this is the one.

Adding my location now

#14 12 years ago

I appreciate that Jespo. I am waiting for my led kit to arrive. I have also ordered a couple little things as well. New decals for the pf and the shuttle, have one cracked lane guide so ordered a couple just in case, and the round domes for the cannons. Can't wait to make the thing shine

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from jespo_19:

very cool man LED's rock, help is always here on pinside thats for sure. man look at my lame guns with no round dome-age! good call getting those.

Get on them domes!

Quoted from scooter:

it could be an opto problem on the ball trough.

Wait, there's optos on the ball trough under the playfield?

#24 12 years ago
    Quoted from Anim8ormatt:

Was my previous post invisible??

the problems you're having sound like the machine doesn't always know where the ball is. Clean and align those optos and I bet you'll see a difference.

you can put the machine in the "clear ball trough" mode in the menu and it will show you how many balls it thinks are there. then move them in and out of position and see if things act as they should.

So hard to diagnose from a distance. Good Luck. It's a great machine!

No no, it wasn't invisible. I just misunderstood. As I explained to Fusion, when you said ball trough, I wasn't thinking about where the balls enter the plunger from. I was thinking the trough under the pf that gets the balls to all the different locations on the machine. Newbie mistake.

I lifted the playfield last night, and found all the optos, including the ACTUAL balltrough ones

All the optos, with the exception of the balltrough ones are FILTHY. I didn't take any of them out to clean, but just rubbed a q tip on a bunch of them, and they're nasty nasty. When I get home from work today, I will be performing a proper cleaning on them. Looking forward to it, and thank you for the advice.

Will post the results when I finish.

Again, thanks guys. This really is a fantastic community. It's rare that an online community is this supportive, without being arrogant and condescending. Will donate. This level of support, especially for a noob, is greatly appreciated.

#29 12 years ago

Hopefully if I can make this one 100%, my future pins will be a cake walk

#42 12 years ago

Well, I make a decent living, but I'm not wealthy, and typically can't just throw 1000-2000 around here and there. Today, I cleaned EVERY opto on the machine. Tedious, but it's done. I then was able to separate the top part of the cannon from the shaft. It was FILTHY. A TON of thanks goes to Fusion, he spent well over an hour on the phone with me today. Now the motor purrs like a kitten. Runs GREAT.

NOW the only problem I have is after I fire the left cannon, it still thinks there is a ball in there. Doing the switch test, the opto functions perfectly. The only thing I can figure now is that when the cannon moves, there is something closing that switch and making the game think there is a ball in there, even though I already fired it. I went ahead and re soldered all the points on those optos, and the result is the same

Now I'm going to disconnect the cannon from the gear assembly again so I can move it freely manually, the do the switch test. If my thinking is correct, the switch should show closed whenever the issue is rotated to.

I think.

Annnnnd, I need a shot and a beer.

I WILL NOT give up on this machine. Just a little issue now. If I can do what I've done today, technically my first day ever working on a pin, and get done what I did get done, I'm confident I can handle the rest of what's causing my problem.

Hell, the way I'm looking at it now is if I can handle an STTNG, I can handle most of em

#44 12 years ago

They're as straight as I can make them. I just don't see how it would randomly go out of alignment when it's turning.

#46 12 years ago

The gunk that was causing me problems was in the shaft from the actual cannon down to the assembly. Just that extra resistance when the game naturally slowed down to fire the cannon was too much for the motor to overcome at the reduced speed. It also sounds a LOT better. Like it should. Frustrating satisfaction on my end. That make sense?

Alright, the theory was sound, but I don't know why. When I swing the cannon toward the center of the pf, about 1" in to the swing, it triggers the opto like there's a ball in it

#49 12 years ago

I pulled those optos and re soldered them. They're making contact there. Now I am looking at the wiring. The bundle of wires that feeds in to this area is laying RIGHT against a lamp for one of the inserts. Now I'm looking for a wire that may have some damage. Hopefully it's just the wires touching against each other when it starts the turn. That I can fix and just wrap it back up

#52 12 years ago

Do the wires in the wrap HAVE to be wrapped, or can I tear the wrap off to check for damage, then just use electrical tape to wrap it back up?

#56 12 years ago

Sold out

#58 12 years ago

They are tighter in that cannon. But not to where it tugs on the optos. Hmmm

#62 12 years ago

Yeah, I love this game. Now that I have the harnesses on the way, I can just play it and enjoy it! The problem I'm having now is negligible. It doesn't ruin the game like the messed up cannon motion. Tons of plays coming up this weekend.

Already shopping for another pin. Gonna keep it on the lower end, fast playing side. Would love a T2 or T3. Even a High Speed. Would really love a F-14 Tomcat

#65 12 years ago

Indeed

#68 12 years ago

I meant the Getaway High Speed II.

Oh, and now the left cannon can't find home.

Uggggggggggg!

#71 12 years ago

Now I got the home issue resolved and the cannon will still dry fire!!!

#73 12 years ago

I looked at a Monopoly as well. After about 15 minutes of playing it, I knew it wasn't the machine for me. Boooooring. I will solve this problem. It's the game I wanted first. It's playable now. Just this one little thing to conquer.

#76 12 years ago

The good news is, my kids are at my in laws out of town till next Saturday, and my wife works tomorrow. Beginning in the morning, a pot of coffee and I will get this resolved.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider johnny.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/really-starting-to-regret-my-decision-maybe-in-over-my-head?tu=johnny and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.