(Topic ID: 81735)

Really makes me wonder why I enjoy this hobby so much?!?!

By Spencer

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by ledge
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 10 years ago

I'll be honest and its late but really??!!

I did know 1000% before getting into this that I would be doing constant work to them and I was totaly ok with that, but I had no idea it would be this crazy! I turned on a game tonight I hadnt played in 4 days and just as I turned it on, it ejected 3 balls and had there not been a jam, it was trying to eject #4. I hadnt even pressed start yet.....

I get it, they require work but come on, every night???

I currently own 5 pins, 2 of which I have had zero problems with since cleaning them up, the other 3, which happen to be the most expensive ones, have daily issues.

Sorry about the rant and maybe Im just unlucky but this is normal?

#2 10 years ago

Damn that is scary news for newbies like me. Can I ask which two you have not had problems with so I buy those as my first pins

#3 10 years ago

Some machine need constant attention. Others can go years with only an occasional clean

Such is pinball

#4 10 years ago

Games break all the time, it's the nature of the beast (and one of the many reasons you don't see them on route in most areas.)

#5 10 years ago

Violinfather:

Elvira and Teed' Off. Since buying them and cleaning/shopping them, I have had no issues. White Water was good for a couple of months and it seems very minor/normal, the issue I have now.

#6 10 years ago

Wow. I'm down to just newer pins,but I've been there. Sounds like a"trough" problem to me,but what do I know.

#7 10 years ago

LOL. I was thinking the exact same thing when one of my drop targets smashed yesterday!!!

#8 10 years ago
    Quoted from Spencer:

I'll be honest and its late but really??!!
    I did know 1000% before getting into this that I would be doing constant work to them and I was totaly ok with that, but I had no idea it would be this crazy! I turned on a game tonight I hadnt played in 4 days and just as I turned it on, it ejected 3 balls and had there not been a jam, it was trying to eject #4. I hadnt even pressed start yet.....
    I get it, they require work but come on, every night???
    I currently own 5 pins, 2 of which I have had zero problems with since cleaning them up, the other 3, which happen to be the most expensive ones, have daily issues.
    Sorry about the rant and maybe Im just unlucky but this is normal?

I noticed you have TZ that game always demanded more of my time to keep running properly.

#9 10 years ago

When owning more then one machine or some of them being as is machines when bought that you fixed up. This will happen. Yes sometimes it seems to rain problems and then there are times you smile because all you stuff looks and works good.

One of the things i see some of these machines are 30 yrs old are older and were played hard for the 1st part of their life and then someone fixed the broken stuff and then ran it some more. Now there just failing because of age the the use. Had a 30+ year old drop target break today. Yes it sucks but that target has had a metal ball smacking the hell out it and it's only made of plastic. So the machines we all have now need major over hauls including boards. Problem this all has a cost usually more then you would like to spend so they get dumped and some else has to fix them. Guess who that is Us fellow pinheads luckily we have Pinside to help each other out.

Remember Williams/Bally made there last pinball in 1999, Gottlieb 1996, Sega 1999, Dataeast 1994. Would you expect something to go 15+ years on very little to no maintenance that really was considered a throw away product after 3 to 5 years if even that.

#10 10 years ago

No, they don't require as much work as you state.
    When we fix games up, they are solid and play perfect for a very long time.
    The trick is identifying the weaknesses in the game, and strengthen them (loose coil lug joints/ flaky switches/ dirty mechs).
    Tighten those loose screws down near the moving parts.

#11 10 years ago

It seems that after my initial clean and dare I say "shop" job. Then the secondary tweaks to make the game play right, I very rarely have problems with my machines.

Every once in a while ill have a cracked solder joint or some funk that needs to have the game reset but thats about it.

The only timw ive gone through more would be after the two moves they have taken from the different houses ive lived in. I lost a power supply board because of funk at the new house and other small issues.

All of my games so far are williams or bally though so I cant comment on other manufacturers. Except the practically nib lotr, she had no problems the three years I owned her.

What im thinking, just plain old bad luck. Also, take into account that when I have problems they do seem to come in multiples. Mostly on games I got in and didnt have to shop out.

#12 10 years ago

There's two ways to work on these things -
    1. fix them as they break or
    2. bulletproof them before they break.

Option 1 gets you playing immediately and tweaking and fixing forever
    Option 2 takes longer at first, probably has you break more stuff accidentally by fixing what isn't broken yet, but lasts forever(ish) if done well.

#13 10 years ago

I think it is luck of the draw, even NIB pin doesn't guarantee no fix up jobs, I learned that on Metallica. For the first year my BSD felt like a big money pit, at least touch wood now I know I have got a fairly solid machine (for a while hopefully)

#14 10 years ago

on the subject of maintenance, how long does that big ol battery last ?. mine looks cruddy, old wrinkly, but i guess still works.. guess thats the main thing.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/really-makes-me-wonder-why-i-enjoy-this-hobby-so-much and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.