• Latest reply 1 year ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20221018_153344 (resized).jpg
E91E3564-E53F-44BC-B3BF-D663FF799BB7 (resized).jpeg
FB728A48-7486-4697-86DB-C072FCA450E3 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SpyroFTW.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 1 year ago

I recommend that he learn to use a whetstone if he wants to sharpen it himself. I dont know anything about that sharpener, but it looks like it could have some problems. Not all knives are created equal and the angle of the edge can vary quite a bit based on the type of knife and what you are using it for. For example, a boning knife and a chefs knife will usually have different edge angles as the chefs knife needs to be more durable. I have a business in town that will sharpen my knives to the specifications that I want for about $10/knife. You could always look up knife sharpening services in your area and have it sharpened when it needs it. Also, he needs to learn to properly maintain and hone the knife for edge longevity. Hope that helps and good luck!

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from bruinfan:

Do you have any recommendations on where to learn?
I watched this video from Murray Carter, which has at least got me practicing on a couple of my kitchen knives.

There are plenty of good videos on YouTube to learn. Grab a POS knife from walmart and at least 3 different grit stones and start trying it out. It takes getting used to but your muscles will get used to it and hold the angle better as you go. Youtubers will often recommend stones of varying prices. I stopped bothering as I have a local place that does what I need, but it can be very soothing to sharpen your own knives

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SpyroFTW.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/really-good-knife-sharpener-?tu=SpyroFTW and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.