Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mrm_4
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20191005_163252_resized_1 (resized).jpg
    318844915_687753276174931_6103244455279825240_n (resized).jpg
    B5E9DA5A-BC6E-435A-A9E3-5E5CA0AE933E_1_105_c (resized).jpeg
    20221212_122535 (resized).jpg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

I do like Meteor if you want a fast game where the ball is always coming at you.

Just put Meteor 2021 code in mine. WOW. Made a good game great.

#52 1 year ago
    Quoted from slochar:

Can you bend the shelf like I did with the bally mystic center bank? I had a devil of a time with Lightning's center bank when I had it as well and I tried some pretty radical things with that one and Free fall's. Have not had the occasion yet to do it on any other sterns, they all seem to work fine at this point, but I only use vintage drops. If I need new ones I'd go swinks but I have a large stock of vintage drops to choose from. Maybe tweaking the angle just SLIGHTLY will help. I used to shoot to the 'side' of the lightning drops to try and get them down, but clearly that's not intended. I know I show bally drop in the pic, but bending the equivalent part on the stern bank is worth trying.

I'll give that a shot. Tried everything else, the wax on the wood, different rubber ring sizes/thicknesses, the Swinks targets, even stronger springs in it now (not so strong that they cause any problems with the bank resetting) but didn't really see a noticeable improvement from any of that except the Swinks did lessen it. Thanks!

#53 1 year ago

Try weaker springs.

Move the entire mech housing closer to the flippers.

#54 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Try weaker springs.
    Move the entire mech housing closer to the flippers.

How would weaker springs improve it? They would drop even slower (?)

I thought about trying to move the bank down a little but when the targets are up they are already only a hair away from touching the front edge of the slot so didn't seem like it would have a significant effect. Maybe pushed down enough it would have the same effect as bending the ledges though.

#55 1 year ago

My theory with the ledge bending is that any downward pull in the target will negate the bounce back onto the shelf.
    The ones in my mystic still can brick but there's a different drop in the center that one is the worst but clearly a different plastic.

#56 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

How would weaker springs improve it? They would drop even slower (?)

Because you’ve tried everything else. At this point, I’d be willing to try anything if I were you. .

#57 1 year ago

Early SS is my favorite era as well. But I buy lots of new games because it keeps my wife interested and it's really financially safe (if not profitable) as long as you have the spending money to begin with. And of course I love new games too, but my sweet spot is that whole Heavy Metal Magazine art vibe and spinners and saucers and drops and approachable rules of '80s pinball.

#58 1 year ago

I have an offer in on a local Flash Gordon. I may be joining the early 80's SS family. Wish me well!

#60 1 year ago
    Quoted from RetroRambler:

I have an offer in on a local Flash Gordon. I may be joining the early 80's SS family. Wish me well!

Awesome. FG is a classic and a strong contender for Best single ball game ever, imo.

I am mid-swap on a friend of mines and I can't wait to put the first 100 games or so on it before I call him to tell him it is done!

#61 1 year ago
    Quoted from guitarded:

Awesome. FG is a classic and a strong contender for Best single ball game ever, imo.
    I am mid-swap on a friend of mines and I can't wait to put the first 100 games or so on it before I call him to tell him it is done!

The first hundred games, huh? Well, that should only take about 20 minutes.

#62 1 year ago

FG is a butt kicker, very difficult game. As of late, it's been my go-to pin. It will make you a better player (eventually, lol). I think you made a good call! It's a very popular title too, shouldn't be hard to sell if you decide it's not your cup of tea. Good luck with it, and welcome to the addiction--errm *hobby*!!

#63 1 year ago

Game play wise Barracora is possibly my favorite from the time. Adding the new ROMs for updated scoring that are floating around does help. Paragon, EBD, Fathom and Centaur are also really good. Don't forget Stern used the same boards as Bally basically. Meteor, Nine Ball, etc. Gottlieb Alien Star is similar to some of the Williams/Bally at the time and a fantastic shooter. Devil's Dare is a really under rated Gottlieb wide body from way back when.

#64 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Bricking is hitting the target hard enough that it relatches onto the ledge, so it fails to drop.
    There are brand new horseshoe contact boards available, as well as ones you can replace them with where you cement a magnet to the target and the board has a simple reed switch on it, so you ditch the horseshoe blades and the board contacts altogether.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/system3-6-drop-target-replacement-bords-nmp-sensors-vids-review

Who knew?!? I just did a playfield swap/hardtop for my Flash Gordon. All of a sudden, I’m getting this brick thing with one drop target. Thought i was going nuts. Glad to see this post and looking forward to checking it out more.

By the way, Flash Gordon is my go-to fav game. Owned one for years, got stupid and sold it and then a few back, I picked up another. Been fixing it since. Tend to Bally pins, although BK and some other Williams were pretty great too.

Nice thread.

#65 1 year ago
    Quoted from zahner:

Flash Gordon is my go-to fav game. Owned one for years, got stupid and sold it

I know that feeling.

#66 1 year ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

I guess you're right... but they both brick too much when they're really whacked hard. So I'd still rank Gtb's and Williams on the high end as far as mechanical operation.

Not to beat a dead horse here, but yeah… you could not be more incorrect about Stern drops. The whole bank drops when someone in the room sneezes. They are nearly perfect.

#67 1 year ago

80's Gottlieb

#68 1 year ago
    Quoted from skink91:

Not to beat a dead horse here, but yeah… you could not be more incorrect about Stern drops. The whole bank drops when someone in the room sneezes. They are nearly perfect.

As someone with Stern pins I can't agree with this, you do get bricking time to time but more so with the new replacement drops.

#71 1 year ago

I found another pin a couple of hours away for my #2 candidate. Its an EBD but its the LE cabinet. I am torn on this one because it does have its own unique charm in in an early 80s Kenny Rogers, Urban Cowboy, and Dukes of Hazard way. Its very dated but I think I might actually like it. I don't know if the wife will like the associated wood paneling, wagon-wheel light, and neon beer sign that I will need to make the room period correct

I am torn on this one to be honest. I like it, but I dont like it - clear as mud. For those that have seen it in a lineup, does it look silly next to other pins? I guess that shouldn't matter because the game play is the same. What say you? LE or wait?

#72 1 year ago

I found another pin a couple of hours away for my #2 candidate. Its an EBD but its the LE cabinet. I am torn on this one because it does have some 80s charm in in an early 80s Kenny Rogers, Urban Cowboy, and Dukes of Harzard kinda way. Its very dated but I think I might actually like it. I don't know if the wife will like the associated wood paneling, wagon-wheel light, and neon beer sign that I will need to make the room period correct
    I am torn on this one to be honest. I like it, but I dont like it - clear as mud. For those that have seen it in a lineup, does it look silly next to other pins? I guess that shouldn't matter because the game play is the same. What say you? LE or wait?

I'm a gameplayer, so cabinet makes no different to me.

#73 1 year ago
    Quoted from gdonovan:

As someone with Stern pins I can't agree with this, you do get bricking time to time but more so with the new replacement drops.

Sounds like a setup issue to me…

#74 1 year ago

I found another pin a couple of hours away for my #2 candidate. Its an EBD but its the LE cabinet. I am torn on this one because it does have its own unique charm in in an early 80s Kenny Rogers, Urban Cowboy, and Dukes of Hazard way. Its very dated but I think I might actually like it. I don't know if the wife will like the associated wood paneling, wagon-wheel light, and neon beer sign that I will need to make the room period correct

I owned that one. It’s a pain in the butt to get to the connectors behind the displays to take the head off for travel. So if you’re not moving it much, not a big deal. But I'll never own that cabinet type again.

#75 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

I owned that one. It’s a pain in the butt to get to the connectors behind the displays to take the head off for travel. So if you’re not moving it much, not a big deal. But I'll never own that cabinet type again.

I assume it's safe to say troubleshooting is more difficult due to those cramped conditions. The machine will be a set and forget once in the room, but I have passed on specific arcade cabinet styles due to component accessibility headaches. Dynamo made a Z style cabinet that is straigt from the devil.

#76 1 year ago

Nah. Troubleshooting is fine. It’s easy to get to all the boards, and I don’t think the tough to access connector causes many issues. Purely a transport headache

#77 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Nah. Troubleshooting is fine. It’s easy to get to all the boards, and I don’t think the tough to access connector causes many issues. Purely a transport headache

Thanks man.

Is there any reason I need to remove the back box? I know it doesn't fold but if I can transport complete in the back on my truck is there any danger in doing so? Source and destination are first floor, so it should be a fairly straight forward transport.

#78 1 year ago

Loving this thread but...

Whatever you buy, and particularly if you start a collection of machines of this age...

Make SURE you have a path to getting them repaired.

Maybe your path is YOU, but I can assure you, it's a very good idea to have someone you can call, someone who can come to your home and look at any problems you encounter when the problem is a little harder than you can personally figure out.

All of these machines were made with original connectors that were good for 35 insertion/removal cycles, and then the connector (pins and plugs) was supposed to be replaced. Vibration alone compromises the connectors in these machines.

The boards are available! WHOOT for Alltek! Whoot for Yoppsicles! (The intermittent nature of the lamp sockets in games of this age has to be experienced to be believed...) But the plugs to the new boards are problematic. The other stuff in the game is problematic.

The amount of work that I'm finding necessary to create a fully no-more-unreliable-than-any-other-pinball starts with the 36 pages of recommended fixes on the Pinwiki... and so, I generally won't sell these machines (as much as I love them!)

Because the amount of work it takes to get them reliable isn't worth the price difference between what I can buy the machine for, and what I can (rationally) sell the machine for.

Two years ago I said that I wouldn't be buying any machines of this age except for KISS... because you can sell a KISS pinball at a price that justifies the work. (Of course, I've broken that 'rule' a couple of times... these machines are too much fun!)

So, follow what you love! Get the machines that make you happy!

Try to buy machines that have already been properly gone through.

Make SURE you have someone to call when things go wrong.

Until a lot of work has been done, don't expect perfect reliability... these machines were designed with planned obsolescence in mind. Machines that were working three years after they were sold were a 'pain in the ass' from the manufacturer's standpoint, and kept operators from buying a new machine every three years, so they were intentionally designed to have a lifespan that would start having difficult-to-repair problems. They were also made to a price point, not a quality standard.

When you have problems, post your difficulties here and people will help you fix your machines.

Good luck!

#79 1 year ago

PinRetail - Thanks for the great suggestions. I am buying both pins though long-time, local service guys. Personally, I am avid gear head who has been turning wrenches since I was a teen and made a career in IT as a network architect, so I can hold my own with basic troubleshooting. I know my way around crusty Molex connectors, leaf switches, circuit boards, and such from years of piddling with arcade machines.

With that said, I am trying to find clean partially, if not fully, restored machines. I don't want a barn-find, fixer-upper for sure. I have been there and done that with arcades and never again. That is why I was asking about long-term ownership and which brand had the best components from the factory and provide the least headaches with either used parts availability or new 3rd party products. I am also trying to stay with popular, high number manufactured titles to better the odds of reliable, long-term ownership. I am hoping having three machines will increase the odds that at least one will be playable at any given time.

Speaking of which, what is the "magic number" with pinball ownership? One pin, two, five? When does it go from a perfect balance of choice/selection and having at least one or two working to I have too many and it's a damn expensive/time-sink maintenance nightmare?

#80 1 year ago

Is there any reason I need to remove the back box?

Yes. To transport the game. You risk damaging the neck/backbox by leaving it on.

#81 1 year ago

I like Bally for how easy to work on they are. A lot of their games have a great feel. That said, eventually you start to notice how the rules on a lot of Bally's are pretty samey. I've converted to the Classic Stern bandwagon. It's the same Bally boardset repair wise, but with more interesting layouts and rulesets (and some stinkers)

Williams have some great sounds, and a few of the games are top notch, but there's a lot more "whatever" to me games than certified hot bangers.

Gottlieb did some pretty wild stuff too, but I don't like dealing with their games.

#82 1 year ago
    Quoted from RWH:

80's Gottlieb

There are some great Gottlieb games (Mars, Pink Panther, Panthera, Haunted House, Volcano, Devils Dare, Black Hole) but they are a PITA to work on

#83 1 year ago

Not sure why I keep hearing this about gottliebs. If you repin connectors and rebuild the boards, you’re good to go just like Ballys, Williams and sterns.

#84 1 year ago
    Quoted from chuckwurt:

Not sure why I keep hearing this about gottliebs. If you repin connectors and rebuild the boards, you’re good to go just like Ballys, Williams and sterns.

Repinning the connectors is the PITA part

#85 1 year ago

Speaking of which, what is the "magic number" with pinball ownership? One pin, two, five? When does it go from a perfect balance of choice/selection and having at least one or two working to I have too many and it's a damn expensive/time-sink maintenance nightmare?

Depends on the condition and age. I would say 10.

#86 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

Repinning the connectors is the PITA part

Goes just as smooth as the other games once I got practice. But either way, it’s never fun on any game.

#87 1 year ago
    Quoted from Knxwledge:

There are some great Gottlieb games (Mars, Pink Panther, Panthera, Haunted House, Volcano, Devils Dare, Black Hole) but they are a PITA to work on

I almost hate to admit what my favorite Gottlieb game is from that era - Amazing Spiderman. I was a huge comic collector back then (still have all my Marvel bronze era comics (Xmen, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, etc in the closet). The artwork alone - mic drop. I would seriously add this to the three for that reason alone. It just so memorable that I don't think I would care if the play was "less". I am just not sure about that double flipper. I know I played it back in the day, but I can't for the life of me remember if I enjoyed it or was just wow'd by the art. Being 10 when this came out, it was (and still is) epic to marvel at - pun intended

#88 1 year ago

It's actually a great question about which brand had the best components for reliability/quality. Unfortunately from my point of view, reliability breaks down mostly by generation. (Gottlieb and Data East are a separate discussion).

The 77-85 models (Bally or Stern) are pretty darned unreliable nowadays until restored. This is where your heart is, and with good reason. Great gameplay you can't get any other way than on one of these machines.

The '6803' Bally pinballs - well, let's just not talk about them. (shudders)

The system 3-8 machines (77-84) are repairable, but not greatly reliable.

The 'System 11 age' model Bally/Williams (85-90) are much, much, much, better built, and the WPC's (90-99) are quite a bit better made yet.

The reason there are so many machines from this era that are so highly regarded is not only because of the design and the speed, they are also pinballs that you could mostly reliably find in working condition. Being able to actually play a good, working machine is really important to the eventual standing of the machine in the top 100 list. (Exceptions, always exceptions, Haunted House and Black Hole...)

There is considerable variation in the difficulty of keeping machines repaired depending upon how much play the machine has received.

Thus an Eight Ball Deluxe is generally quite hard to get in great condition because it stayed on the route longer, had more different technicians of various quality doing repairs (to really mess something up requires a technician), and just got a lot more wear and tear due to the thousands more plays on the average Eight Ball Deluxe vs. an average Stern Dracula, or some other lesser title from the same generation.

As to having three to make sure one is playable... Hehe. I don't think it's that bad!

Once you've gotten the most problematic things worked out, these machines can provide years of reliable service in your home.

What is the threshold for the number of pinballs versus a manageable amount of service?

Well, how much play are they receiving is a very strong consideration.

We have a local pinball bar. Around 30 pinballs, almost all of the new Sterns, almost all of the Pinside top 10 of the top 100 list. A small scattering of other quality machines. My friend Matthew does the service there.

Every Wednesday, he drives to the location, and spends all day working on the pinballs.

Then he returns every Friday morning with the parts he found he needed, and does further work, at least half a day on Friday. Sometimes all day Friday.

A day and a half of skilled serviceperson time every week to keep about 30 pinballs in good operating condition in front of the public.

Commercial operation is a whole different level of pinball breakage, and that's why I'm a home pinball seller, not a commercial pinball seller.

In your home? Well, I'm hoping most of my customers with 1-6 pinballs are calling me when they have problems, and I have very few customers call me every year. Mostly they have a problem, it takes a service call (or three...) to get resolved, and then I don't hear from them for another couple of years.

With more than six pinballs, I would say that unless you don't turn them on and play them at all, at any given time there will be some small problem that needs attention at any given time. It may be a lamp socket that occasionally doesn't light up, a mechanical problem that doesn't work perfectly, a general illumination connector that is browning as it bakes itself until the lamps no longer light.

Small things, that you could let slide until you have a couple of issues, and then spend an hour or two to fix things up.

I personally haven't managed a collection of more than six that didn't have something less than perfect operation (light bulb burning out) for more than a couple of months. Perfection is attainable... it won't last for a long time.

If you can live with rubber that has become slightly dusty and doesn't have quite the grip it did when fresh, if you can live with an occasional light bulb not lighting until you get a chance to look at it, if you can live with a switch on a fast loop that registers 19 times out of twenty, but not when the ball is perfectly insanely fast... You can have a great room full of great machines.

If everything has to be perfect, you can spend a lot of time chasing perfection.

(shrugs)

It sounds to me like you are going to get some great machines, and have a great time.

#89 1 year ago

Thanks man.
    Is there any reason I need to remove the back box? I know it doesn't fold but if I can transport complete in the back on my truck is there any danger in doing so? Source and destination are first floor, so it should be a fairly straight forward transport.

No, the head is flush against the cabinet. I've moved mine a few times with the head on and never really had a problem as long as you are careful and it is secured properly. If you are going up or down steps on a dolly though I would remove it to be safe. That said, there are not many connectors in these games and they are all keyed, so there are a few to remove, but it only takes a few minutes.

You tell me ha, here's a pic of my classic/system 11 side of the basement. I would rather have the "regular" one, but the LE is the same game and about $1K+ less in cost for you. Also, mine fits under a beam in my basement where another pin wouldn't, so it let me squeeze one more into the lineup. It's not as cool looking but it's cheaper and plays the same. If its the game you like and not the cabinet, jump on it.

20221212_122535 (resized).jpg20221212_122535 (resized).jpg
    #90 1 year ago

I don't care for the LE cabs personally. They just turn me off visually. That's a real personal preference thing, but these games aren't so rare that you should settle if you don't like it.

EBD is one of those games that I had trouble keeping. Play-wise it's great, but the theme just didn't work for me. Too cowboy'd up. It was in a lineup with Mystic, Medusa, and Flash Gordon so you can kinda see how it was the odd one out. All about what works for you though.

B5E9DA5A-BC6E-435A-A9E3-5E5CA0AE933E_1_105_c (resized).jpegB5E9DA5A-BC6E-435A-A9E3-5E5CA0AE933E_1_105_c (resized).jpeg

Of those 4 games I'd own Flash Gordon and Mystic again, skip the other two.

#91 1 year ago
    Quoted from Aurich:

I don't care for the LE cabs personally. They just turn me off visually. That's a real personal preference thing, but these games aren't so rare that you should settle if you don't like it.
    EBD is one of those games that I had trouble keeping. Play-wise it's great, but the theme just didn't work for me. Too cowboy'd up. It was in a lineup with Mystic, Medusa, and Flash Gordon so you can kinda see how it was the odd one out. All about what works for you though.
    [quoted image]

That is how I am feeling to be honest. I know without question that I would like EBD's classic Bally game play, but the theme is killing it for me. Even the standard cab is going to look odd in the mix of the retro/scifi theme that I am so fond of from that era. I could see EBD in a smokey draft beer joint next to a 6-foot dynamo pool table or in a Pizza Hut with tiffany lamps and other early 80s decor. I watched some play videos this morning and to be honest the sounds don't go with the game. This game should have the classic bells and chimes vs synthesizer everything. The more I dig into EBD, I am liking it less and less.

There is a Pinbot south of Houston that I keep eyeballing. I wish there was one close by to play. I love, love, love the "I see you now" and the insane light show this would give off with LEDs, but I am unsure about the gameplay. I think it is fair to assume that if I like playing Firepower, I should enjoy Pinbot, but I know that's a gamble.

I thought I was going to be a System11 guy through and through when I first started reading, but the later, more complex system11s didn't do anything for me when I finally played them. I do remember seeing Pinbot, F14, and High Speeds at the bowling alley that I used to hang out at. By then, I was more into street racing and chasing skirts vs pinball/arcades. I am sure I played them, but it would have been a random quarter here or there, but I have no lasting memories or nostalgia on those titles. Are there any System11 games that are fast and brutal sharpshooters? I think Jokerz might be a candidate. The negatives people bag on it for are the things I like in a game. It seems very "classic pinball".

#92 1 year ago

Deleted - double post quote

#93 1 year ago

That is how I am feeling to be honest. I know without question that I would like EBD's classic Bally game play, but the theme is killing it for me. Even the standard cab is going to look odd in the mix of the retro/scifi theme that I am so fond of from that era. I could see EBD in a smokey draft beer joint next to a 6-foot dynamo pool table or in a Pizza Hut with tiffany lamps and other early 80s decor. I watched some play videos this morning and to be honest the sounds don't go with the game. This game should have the classic bells and chimes vs synthesizer everything. The more I dig into EBD, I am liking it less and less.
    There is a Pinbot south of Houston that I keep eyeballing. I wish there was one close by to play. I love, love, love the "I see you now" and the insane light show this would give off with LEDs, but I am unsure about the gameplay. I think it is fair to assume that if I like playing Firepower, I should enjoy Pinbot, but I know that's a gamble.
    I thought I was going to be a System11 guy through and through when I first started reading, but the later, more complex system11s didn't do anything for me when I finally played them. I do remember seeing Pinbot, F14, and High Speeds at the bowling alley that I used to hang out at. By then, I was more into street racing and chasing skirts vs pinball/arcades. I am sure I played them, but it would have been a random quarter here or there, but I have no lasting memories or nostalgia on those titles. Are there any System11 games that are fast and brutal sharpshooters? I think Jokerz might be a candidate. The negatives people bag on it for are the things I like in a game. It seems very "classic pinball".

If you want "classic pinball" take a good look at Taxi. It's really one of the "pure pinball" games for me.

#94 1 year ago

I have an EBD LE. I've grown to appreciate aspects of that cabinet. That said, I have a new repro glass for the normal cabinet. Just need a donor cabinet for the right price to walk through the door...

#95 1 year ago
    Quoted from grantopia:

You tell me ha, here's a pic of my classic/system 11 side of the basement. I would rather have the "regular" one, but the LE is the same game and about $1K+ less in cost for you. Also, mine fits under a beam in my basement where another pin wouldn't, so it let me squeeze one more into the lineup. It's not as cool looking but it's cheaper and plays the same. If its the game you like and not the cabinet, jump on it.[quoted image]

Great line up of that era!

#96 1 year ago

I almost hate to admit what my favorite Gottlieb game is from that era - Amazing Spiderman. I was a huge comic collector back then (still have all my Marvel bronze era comics (Xmen, Spiderman, Fantastic Four, Daredevil, etc in the closet). The artwork alone - mic drop. I would seriously add this to the tree for that reason alone. Its just so many memories I don't think I would care if the play was boring. I am just not sure about that double flipper. I know I played it back in the day, but I can't for the life of me remember if I enjoyed it or was just wow'd by the art. Being 10 when this came out, it was (and still is) epic to marvel at - pun intended

I have had an Amazing Spider-Man for 25 years. I put in a Pasqual board and never looked back. Really fun game play, if the game is dialed in.
    Art is great. Mine is like new, so I ended up with one of those playfield protectors on mine. So far, so good. The two flipper thing isn’t that bad. Once in a while you can drop one in between the two, but if you’re paying attention, it’s not bad at all.

#97 1 year ago

I have Star Race and Circus currently, owned Black Hole and Spiderman, repined them all and rarely had problems afterwards. I enjoy the art, quirky sounds and simplicity of play which for me is what originally attracted me to pins. I could step up play 2-4 games and know exactly what I needed to do to get a replay.

#98 1 year ago

The early SS games are the pinnacle of pinball IMO. Gameplay, theme, artwork, sounds. They really are the total package. You're really splitting hairs when deciding between Stern, Bally & Williams titles from that era (and even the criminally underrated Gottliebs for that matter). My favorites that I've been lucky enough to play:

BALLY: Centaur, Fathom, Mystic, Flash Gordon, Embryon, Nitro Ground Shaker, Harlem Globetrotters, Skateball, Viking
    STERN: Quicksilver, Nine Ball, Star Gazer, Catacomb, Cheetah, Dragonfist, Big Game, Ali
    WILLIAMS: Barracora, Cosmic Gunfight, Warlok, Defender, Solar Fire, Time Fantasy
    GOTTLIEB: Alien Star, Countdown, Punk, Eclipse, Striker, Black Hole, Devils Dare

Good luck finding some of these, let alone finding them available for purchase

In my general opinion, here's how I summarize them:
    BALLY: Incredible artwork
    STERN: Incredible gameplay
    WILLIAMS: Incredible sounds
    GOTTLIEB: Incredible parts

They may come & go through your collection since there are so many incredible titles across all the manufactures, but the Sterns never leave. They're just too good IMO.

#99 1 year ago
    Quoted from HoakyPoaky:

The early SS games are the pinnacle of pinball IMO. Gameplay, theme, artwork, sounds. They really are the total package. You're really splitting hairs when deciding between Stern, Bally & Williams titles from that era (and even the criminally underrated Gottliebs for that matter). My favorites that I've been lucky enough to play:
    BALLY: Centaur, Fathom, Mystic, Flash Gordon, Embryon, Nitro Ground Shaker, Harlem Globetrotters, Skateball, Viking
    STERN: Quicksilver, Nine Ball, Star Gazer, Catacomb, Cheetah, Dragonfist, Big Game, Ali
    WILLIAMS: Barracora, Cosmic Gunfight, Warlok, Defender, Solar Fire, Time Fantasy
    GOTTLIEB: Alien Star, Countdown, Punk, Eclipse, Striker, Black Hole, Devils Dare
    Good luck finding some of these, let alone finding them available for purchase
    In my general opinion, here's how I summarize them:
    BALLY: Incredible artwork
    STERN: Incredible gameplay
    WILLIAMS: Incredible sounds
    GOTTLIEB: Incredible parts
    They may come & go through your collection since there are so many incredible titles across all the manufactures, but the Sterns never leave. They're just too good IMO.

Great post - thank you!

And to everyone else, I very much appreciate the help. I never thought I would get this much feedback - pinside rocks.

Almost forgot - my offer was accepted. I should have my first pin, Flash Gordon, sometime this week or early next.

#100 1 year ago

Almost forgot - my offer was accepted. I should have my first pin, Flash Gordon, sometime this week or early next.

You picked a really good one for a first game. It's going to kick your ass, it's a brutal game, but that's the appeal, has that "one more try" factor. You won't get bored from mastering it any time soon.

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/realized-that-i-am-an-early-80s-ss-guy-willams-vs-bally/page/2?hl=nhpolarbear and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.