(Topic ID: 99283)

Realization: I don't care for mode based pin games.

By tamoore

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 50 posts
  • 33 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by Mahoyvan
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Seems to me that my list of keeper games is heading away from Mode based games and toward games with a rule set more reminiscent of the early 90's.

The mode based games I have owned don't last in my collection very long at all. It seems like once I've figured out how to progress through all of the modes to get to the wizard mode, the game looses a lot of its draw for me.

That's why I think most mid 90's B/W games I've owned get tossed on the scrap heap rather quickly, despite me loving the feeling of the shots.

What makes you like games with modes?

#2 4 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

What makes you like games with modes?

Well, lucky for me, I'm just not that great at pinball.

Don't get me wrong...I do okay...but I can't just flip a switch and progress through all the modes to get to the Wizard Mode whenever I feel like it.

Sure, I know WHAT to do, and I know HOW to get there...and on many of my games, I HAVE gotten to the final mode.

It's just a rare occurrence to get there, so it never really gets stale.

Some games....it's just like slipping on a very, very comfortable sweatshirt...full of nostalgic good-feelings.

A mode based game like Indiana Jones? Sign me up. Every mode takes me straight back to when I was 12 years old, watching the movies. The sound clips, music, dots...it's just nostalgic candy for my brain.

So, a lot of the time when I play...it's not about going through an inflexible set of rules to get to the end....it's about the experience.

Sure, some games I saddle up to, I have a well defined "goal" in mind. ("Dammit...I'm playing this ToTAN until I save that fargin' princess" or "I'm playing CFTBL until I rescue that girl" or "I'm playing Safecracker until it spits out a token!"). But...once I get there, I'm not bored with the game by any means.

Even your "non-mode" games that you love....isn't there a predetermined set of steps that you need to take if you are going to plow toward some ultimate goal? How come modes get stale for you, but different ruelsets stay fresh?

I'm not saying one is better than the other...some things just "hit" certain personalities better.

Pete

#3 4 years ago

Grouping all mode-based games together seems odd to me. LOTR, AC/DC, and TRON are all mode-based games with very hard to attain wizard modes. I've never been to Valinor, Encore, or Portal. Have you?

#4 4 years ago

Nice reply, Pete.

I guess I find the timed modes pretty non fulfilling. Like on JM...

Shoot the left orbit into the pops four times in 30 seconds on one mode.
    In another, shoot the right orbit four times in 30 seconds.
    Shoot the middle four times in 30 seconds...

I guess I'm still trying to figure out why my preference leads me away from mode games (even though I really like them).

Might be the sense of 'ending' these pins have? Like, you get to the 'end'? A "been there, done that" feeling that a game like Mousin' Around doesn't have.

I'm hoping we call all hash this out.

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from snaroff:

Grouping all mode-based games together seems odd to me. LOTR, AC/DC, and TRON are all mode-based games with very hard to attain wizard modes. I've never been to Valinor, Encore, or Portal. Have you?

I can only talk about games I've owned. None of these I've owned.

I do own some mode based games that I will keep, like Baywatch and Batman Forever. I guess the mode games I found got too repetitive to keep were the B/W mid 90's games I've owned.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Nice reply, Pete.
    I guess I'm still trying to figure out why my preference leads me away from mode games (even though I really like them).
    Might be the sense of 'ending' these pins have? Like, you get to the 'end'? A "been there, done that" feeling that a game like Mousin' Around doesn't have.
    I'm hoping we call all hash this out.

I agree with you on the JM modes...that game only lasted a few months in my collection.

I own ST LE with a boatload of modes and they all feel the same to me. Don't play it much. OTOH, I play STTNG all the time because it's modes all feel different and rewarding.

TOTAN modes are all pretty similar...shot the golden targets.

Looks like you own RFM...it has a boatload of modes. The audio and the humor are what distinguish them to me.

Easy to find both challenging and boring mode-based games...writing them off as a group doesn't make sense to me.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Sure, I'm a very "goal oriented" guy. A game like Mousin' Around, I have a tough time figuring out the "point" of the game...other than to get a high score.

Maybe it was a lifetime of video games that forged my preference. Save the day....rescue the girl...fight off the alien invasion...stuff like that.

I discovered pins much later...never really played them in the arcade at all when I was growing up (hey, they were too expensive compared to the video arcade stuff I was into). The pins I played when I first got into the hobby were Indiana Jones, Jurassic Park, and similar mode-based games. So, maybe that's a factor.

What games did you play a lot of when you fell in love with pinball? I'm venturing a guess that they weren't mode-based DMD's.

Pete

#8 4 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Quoted from snaroff:

I agree with you on the JM modes...that game only lasted a few months in my collection.

Yeah, but I love JM.

I probably play it for different reasons, though. When I want a game that is lightning-fast, with super-satisfying flow that zips the ball around smooth as silk...I head to Johnny.

I could care less what my final score is, and I don't play it to get to Power Down. I just want to have a good time....and that game delivers.

Pete

#9 4 years ago

What is an example of a game that doesn't have modes? I honestly haven't played enough pins to know one that isn't mode based somehow. I know out of the 7 DMDs in my house I've got the obvious mode machines like RFM, JP, LAH, Stargate, and MSF... and that leaves NGG and Spiderman. NGG is a 'complete the holes while also doing multiball' machine to me still has mini modes like Cart Attack or Dance Party. Spiderman is a 'defeat the bad guys while also doing these hero mission/modes' machine but, while much less linear than say JP where you hit a hole to start a mode, still has modes.

I do enjoy playing Spiderman and being able to do multiple things at once and stack, but I agree with Pete that I'm not that great of a player that I'm going to beat all the modes and get to wizard on a regular basis, and I enjoy the nostalgia of the modes of the movie based games. And if/when I have new people over that aren't familiar with pinball, the mode-based pins are the first ones I start them on. RFM is usually #1 on teaching people how to play, because you literally just do what that mode tells you without worrying about multipliers, stacking, etc.

#10 4 years ago
    Quoted from pmWolf:

What games did you play a lot of when you fell in love with pinball? I'm venturing a guess that they weren't mode-based DMD's.
    Pete

I've been a pinball guy since I was a very young kid. My uncle was an operator, and always had games in the garage of my grandparents home and left a few in my dad's basement once he retired from coinop. So I forged my love of pinball solidly in the EM era. I still love playing EM games, but for sure prefer the late 80's early 90's titles.

These feel like EM's, with more goals to attain (and ramps).

On a game like Mousin' Around, the primary goal is to score the jackpot. How large the jackpot is depends on how often you advance it before starting the multi-ball. To get the jackpot (I do it maybe one out of 20 games) is a process that for me that never gets boring - mostly because it's so difficult to do.

#11 4 years ago

I'm not a big fan of mode based games either. They feel like you're doing something over and over, that's not that fun or hard, to start a mode and relight the spot to start a mode. Modes themselves can be fun to play, but you don't play them long and you're back to shooting the ramp to light the chair. I really enjoy the games that are hard, but give you the sense you can beat them at any second if you were just a little better.

#12 4 years ago

Are you sure it is not that you just like a game with a more direct and simple ruleset that is hard to accomplish?

I used to think I did not like mode based games and then I realized that I like sys11 stuff because it is easy to explain/understand but very difficult to do well.

#13 4 years ago

I have two games – one mode-based and one score-based – and I enjoy the variety between the two. I like it best when the modes drive you through a story, but I can't stand when there's no randomization. For example, in The Sopranos, you have to do certain tasks in the same order every time to progress and that gets dull. But I enjoy games like POTC and MB, where you can pretty much choose your goals and TOTAN, which mixes up them up and sometimes lets you skip them altogether.

#14 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

I used to think I did not like mode based games and then I realized that I like sys11 stuff because it is easy to explain/understand but very difficult to do well.

One of Gary Stern's favorite sayings is easy to learn, difficult to master.

#15 4 years ago

I like this discussion, I've been trying to figure out what it is that I like and don't like about games. LAH & Tron are ones that I didn't really like, but I like No Fear and TZ even those all have to be "mode" games, right? I also like WH20, but this does seem different than those above.

How do folks classify Metallica? I've been considering that game but haven't gotten the rules yet.

#16 4 years ago

Of course you would be keeping Baywatch with its modes haha. I like games with Jackpots that are harder to attain than simply starting multiball and hitting one CFTBL, Diner, Fish Tales. I find those drawing me back again and again. I find the ones that give out jackpots like they are candy on Halloween don't leave me with the rush I get from the others. I still enjoy the hell out of them so don't get me wrong, but to hear that Jackpot sound effect on creature especially if you got the multiplier going is priceless compared to hitting you know 10 jackpots on WWF or Goldeneye (although both have cool super jackpots). Some modes I simply don't like on games, others I find to be a challenge and fun like Nerve Gas on Goldeneye I have still yet to complete that mode, or Skill Fire on Congo because it's just so unique. But nothing wrong with you having a different preference that's why pinball is so amazing different games for different tastes. I look at it like Golden Corral. Try anything I want when I'm there because if I don't like it I don't have to eat it. If I get a pin I don't like I can just sell it to the next person who may love it.

#17 4 years ago

Thanks for the thoughts, Tommy.

I guess this post is just what it says... A realization. I was crafting my collection based on something I wasn't even sure of, until I took a more wide-angle view of it.

I'm a flow guy, and that is one of the most important aspects of a game for me, but it's not enough for me to keep a game around.

I loved No Fear... but I had enough.
    I loved Judge Dredd... but I had enough.
    I loved Johnny Mnemonic... but I had enough.
    I liked Demolition Man... but I had enough.
    I liked NBA Fastbreak... but I had enough.

If I come upon these in the wild, I'll still play them and enjoy them. They just lost their spot in my arcade, and I didn't feel bad letting them go, despite loving the shots.

I can't ever see having enough of Radical!, though.. It's just as fun to play today as it was when I got it a couple years ago, and I just can't see letting it go.

Now, CFTBL is an intersting one. Two flow shots, but no orbits (something I thought was mandatory for me in a game) and three sink-holes, lots of stop and go. I should really not like this game.

But the rules are such that it makes up for the lack of flow to me. As important as flow is, this game makes me not care. If it were a mode based game, I don't think I would give it the same pass....

That's my stream of consciousness rambling for the moment.

#18 4 years ago

Seems to me reading through this that people play for different goal reason. Depending on what you like for goals is what you choose for a style game. For example, Tamoore seems to play for high score where as pmwolf seems to play to complete objectives. So it makes sense that Tamoore would like games that require strategy to multiply and get high jackpot payouts while pmwolf is more about the journey of fulfilling the objectives and saving the girl/planet.

I personally like mode based games but I suck at completing the modes most of the time. When I do have a great game and I'm able to complete modes its a blast. But sometimes its nice to play a simpler ruled game like Pinbot and try for the mutipliers and the jackpot payout. It seems so simple at times but its a type of play that takes a bit of forethought and exacting shot execution.

#19 4 years ago

See, that's just the thing, Gotpins... I don't really care about score either. I play to complete objectives as well. I just find the objectives on system11/early WPC games to be more compelling, rewarding and more fun to try over and over again.

Few things in pinball feel better than building the Dine-Time bonus up to 12 million, serving all 5 customers, and nailing the spinner shot to cash it in. So hard to do.

#20 4 years ago

Lol..I have NF, DM, JM and had JD...still like them, CFTBL is gone. I bet you the pendulum will swing back and you will like them again. A man can't live on jackpot alone.

#21 4 years ago

For me it's not as simple as just preferring one type of game over the other. There are mode based games that I really like (LOTR, STTNG, TZ) and there are non mode based games (FT, MM, ACDC, DW, BSD, System 11, etc) that I really enjoy as well. hard to pick a pick a favorite type. I think it comes down to how well the game rules were programmed. I don't think there's a Keith Johnson or Lyman Sheets game that I don't appreciate. There are a lot of mode based games for which the modes bore me to tears. These are typically games where all the modes kind of feel the same or don't reward you adequately for completing them. I won't name programmers, but there are certain one's that I tend to avoid when buying a game. To me that's a bigger deal vs. being a mode or points based game.

#22 4 years ago

Tamoore, are you a planner type personality? Organized? Maybe you find satisfaction in planning the shots for the payout. Or maybe you like compounding excitement. It's a slow kind of build up in excitement putting all the shots in place for that last perfectly timed shot. Maybe you thrive on performance pressure? That's what I like about system 11 style games. It's exciting to sew all these shots together for a final payout. And if I choke in the process, no big deal, I can just try again on the next ball and be there in no time again....its not like I need to light 15 door panels all over again...modes can be exhausting.

#23 4 years ago

Not really very organized, but I can be a planner. I think your last point is the one I'm looking for. Trudging through modes for the payoff seems like work (to me) once it's been done it a few times...

I don't get that same feeling of work going through the multiple required steps on the way toward the Creature super jackpot.

#24 4 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

Might be the sense of 'ending' these pins have? Like, you get to the 'end'? A "been there, done that" ...

It may help to change your perception of mode based games if you stop viewing the wizard mode as "the end". Reaching the wizard mode is a great goal to set for yourself, but the game doesn't suddenly end once you reach it. Whether it's a mode based game or not, it's ultimately all about your final score.

#25 4 years ago

I find, I dont play for points, unless the game starts going my way, and the points begin to matter.
    I dont play well enough even after 41 years of playing to envision a tournament trophy, and I am OK with
    that.
    But, I too, get a bit bored with modes in some games. without mentioning any in specific, it is more then the shots, or the rewards in points, I feel I am tuned to the music more in combination.

Games like TZ, never tire me because of the Music and Toys, AC/DC as a band, I didnt care about at all, but now love the music, and how I feel when playing the pin. So Music and light, as well as I am honed in on toys, toys with a neat purpose, stay in my collection.

Tommy, because of Music and Blinders
    1812, Clucking Chicken and Track.
    Xmen, 2 Crazy Magnets
    WOZ everything
    Roadshow, Music, and the heads.
    CSI the centrifuge, and the wife will watch 24/7.
    Iron Man, Magnets, Music
    Simpsons....like everything,

Thats what gets me going, but indeed, I imagine that some games for all of us, we do get tired of, especially after
    completing all the modes, and the only way to make it harder, is shorten the time, or increase the shot count.

But Mousin Around...gets me good...I miss that the music, the circular chase of lights, The belief, I can relock the balls in the cheese and get the jackpot....its always soooooo close.

Whats great, is there is always someone else to enjoy what I have enjoyed in the past, their turn, and there is another game around the corner, to challenge me again.

Quoted from tamoore:

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from gweempose:

It may help to change your perception of mode based games if you stop viewing the wizard mode as "the end". Reaching the wizard mode is a great goal to set for yourself, but the game doesn't suddenly end once you reach it. Whether it's a mode based game or not, it's ultimately all about your final score.

Exactly. Monster Bash the Wizard Modes are not too hard to accomplish. So, when my friends come over to play, the goal is to knock each other off of the high score. The Wizard modes are just part of that strategy. They are a progression to a score.

Another goal, which I still have not done, is to stack all 6 of the modes at once.

#27 4 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Are you sure it is not that you just like a game with a more direct and simple ruleset that is hard to accomplish?

Exactly.

I was starting to say things like "I don't like mode based pins" too, but then I realized that wasn't really accurate. What I really meant was what you say above: I like the more direct and simple ruleset with goals that are hard to achieve. Tron, IM, and AFM come to mind.

#28 4 years ago

The thing is, I do like these games. I just get to the point where I no longer feel like I want to keep them after I've had them for a certain duration. The ones I find keepers just happen to be the ones without modes. Mostly.

#29 4 years ago

PM Sent
    -mof

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from tamoore:

I loved Judge Dredd... but I had enough.

Judge Dredd is a $1300 game folks.

#31 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I seem to remember you valuing JD closer to 1400 six months ago

Curious, what is Abra Ca Dabra to you o-din?

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Not in NorCal... Wait, did I just get punk'd?
    -mof

#33 4 years ago
    Quoted from shimoda:

Curious, what is Abra Ca Dabra to you o-din?

I can't say. It might offend some of my EM brethren. Been there, done that.

#34 4 years ago

mode based games are not keepers for me either but what pinball is.

#35 4 years ago

I am exactly the opposite and almost infinitely prefer mode-based games. While there is the occasional bystander like Mousin' Around or Party Zone I find most late-80s / early-90s games to lack creative rules. I always look forward to playing a large scale game on location like Last Action Hero and Jurassic Park.

#36 4 years ago

Sometimes you don't want to spend a half hour to have a decent game. A pin with more basic rules can be more rewarding for a quick game.

#37 4 years ago
    Quoted from blondetall:

NGG is a 'complete the holes while also doing multiball' machine to me still has mini modes like Cart Attack or Dance Party.

I would say NGG is not really a mode game. For me is, because I suck... I always have to decide to if I want to make it 5 ball or not? For IJ, or XM yes because I might get more modes done in a game. For NGG, no, there's not as much "progress" you can make.. you can get more holes done or higher points , but you can get the idea of the nearly the entire game right from the get go.

#38 4 years ago

I never feel that sense of "work" because when I play a mode-based game, I try to play each mode to the best of my ability, rather than time it out. It helps that I tend to favor Data East games from the early-to-mid-90s, which had the same basic formula: every part of the playfield gets its own mode, whether it's the bumpers (Electric Fence, There's a Doctor), targets (Red Eye, Tag Team Millions) or ramps (Sally Simpson, Thunderstorm). It means that I'm always shooting at something different every game, so I don't get bored even if I don't make it to the wizard mode.

#39 4 years ago

Hmmm....been thinking about this for a while and mostly I agree with you tamoore. Although my favorite game is STTNG.....a mode based game. But there are a lot of factors at play there. I love the theme, I love that there is custom speech by the real actors from a show I watched regularly. I love the layout, the art, the shots.... also, the modes are all very different and that keeps them fun to me. There are still things on that game I've never done.

My other favorite from my very small collection is HSII. Truly a jackpot game and one I never seem to get tired of. It's always exciting to score jackpots....always. Plus, even though "Red Line Mania" is not overly difficult to get to, it's always a treat to get it. Just a pure high speed (pun intended) adrenaline rush.

LOTR......gone. I really don't care for the super deep games. Same reason I will probably never buy TSPP (although I enjoy playing both of them from time to time. That being said I would LOVE to get an AC/DC. It might be mode based but it plays like a classic fast 90's pin (IMHO).

The game should be sufficiently difficult but also reasonably quick to achieve goals. Now I realize that criteria alone will be different for everyone. Your not getting to Valinor in under an hour.....it's just not likely to happen. On HSII I can do just about everything and throw up a high score in 20 minutes! If I'm on I generally like it to be fast and furious and throw up a big score, rinse, repeat. When I've played every mode in LOTR twice (or more) in the same game and I've been playing that same game for over an hour and half....AND, I'm still miles away from Valinor.....it starts to feel like work.

#40 4 years ago

I tend to keep a couple mode based games in the collection for the long marathon style gameplay but once I reach wizard mode its usually sold within a few weeks, long term pins seem to be in the vain of IM, Metallica, SST and the older SState games. No problem getting Jericho in almost every game of IM I have as it doesn't take an hour to get there and with no real modes just a fun fast experience. I looking for more of these style pins and while they aren't popular on pinside I'm finding the sega pins to be my answer. Starship troopers, Godzilla, JP TLW, X files sure they aren't deep but man are they fun.

#41 4 years ago

I actually really enjoy mode based games, I don't care a much as about the score to be honest.. I like catching the murderer in Who Dunnit, saving everyone in baywatch, seeing how many ships I can sink etc in Pirates, winning fishing tournaments in Fish Tales. I think people that dislike games like Fish Tales and think it's boring are the ones that just shoot the ramps exclusively to go after the Monster Fish score. I would get bored with the game and think it's shallow and lame too if I played it that way. STTNG is one of the best mode games imo....

#42 4 years ago

Tamoore, I agree completely. I like mode based games, but once you have reached wizard mode, it sucks out the feeling of wanting to play them again because you know you won't rack up a score like that without getting back there.

I enjoy the 80's era pins most because they incorporate objectives, but are still high-score oriented. I can play Pinbot and Funhouse all day long for that reason, but if I choose to, I can try and get to the Sun on Pinbot or constantly shut down the park on Funhouse, but it doesn't necessarily mean I have to do those things to get a killer score on them.

Also, when friends come over, they don't have to sit and scratch their heads for a while trying to figure out what the hell to do and how to get a high score. So when they come back a month later and see that their initials got wiped off the screen, I get to watch their shit-eating grin.

#43 4 years ago

I like modes as long as they're only part of an overall broad ruleset / scoring strategy. TZ is a great example - the modes can be focused upon, or put in the background as you play for other features (powerball, door mb, camera, etc)

I see JM mentioned a few times... you can change lit mode with one of the flippers; strategy is to stack super spinner with NAS and/or popbumper mode so the ball will get divered to the rollovers for bonus multipliers. Spinner + both NAS and pops, plus a couple multiballs will get you sick spinner points AND hold bonus for even sicker points next ball.

#44 4 years ago
    Quoted from nighttaco:

I actually really enjoy mode based games, I don't care a much as about the score to be honest.. I like catching the murderer in WHO dunnit, saving everyone in Baywatch, seeing how many ships I can sink etc in Pirates, winning fishing tournaments in Fish Tales. I think people that dislike games like Fish Tales and think it's boring are the ones that just shoot the ramps exclusively to go after the Monster Fish score. I would get bored with the game and think it's shallow and lame too if I played it that way. STTNG is one of the best mode games imo....

How do I win a tournament in fish tales?

#45 4 years ago

Tropical fishing master, Fresh Water, then Deep sea, I guess they call it mastering not tournament... Still haven't completed all of them.

#46 4 years ago

I agree with you tamoore.
    "Modes" can mean many things.
    The more the modes limit a player from other goals the quicker I tire of that mode/pin.
    I find myself waiting for the mode to "time out"
    Usually this type of pin have some sort of "mode hole." Rbion is an example of this.

#47 4 years ago

That's why I love Congo so much. Not really any modes.

#48 4 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

That's why I love Congo so much. Not really any modes.

And that's why I dislike it somewhat. I'm a mode guy.

#49 4 years ago

Ok I gotcha. I thought it was some mode I had never gotten to and I was like what the hell.

#50 4 years ago

Great thread to read, while I have recently been discovering my preference as well!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    € 25.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    YOYOKOPTER MODS
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 26.00
    Electronics
    Yorktown Parts and Equip
    $ 62.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 44.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinBoss Mods
    $ 50.00
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 11.95
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 3.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 5.00
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 26.95
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 129.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 14.00
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 19.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside