Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by markmon
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#43 11 years ago

I think you guys are missing something here.
Ratings need to be updated as time passes.
MM might have been a "Perfect 10" the day it was released. Maybe it still is but games will (or should) diminish in ratings as other newer games are released.
As per some of my other posts, if you had put an AC/DC or Tron beside an MM way back when, I think it would have blown MM away with the LEDs, sounds, etc. Nothing against MM, but generally speaking, the older pins don't hold up to the newer ones in reality, yet they are still in the top spots on the charts.
The exception to this of course, is fun factor. Maybe MM IS the most fun game out there. If it is, that's a great reason for it to maintain the top spot.
The only way I see these ratings being more accurate is a combination of current value (average of recent sales -good luck inputting all the data) and if everyone were to update their reviews/ratings on an annual basis.
Of course, with more TAF owners out there than anything else, TAF might be swayed a little but then again, you're never going to get it perfect.

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from misfitdart:

Chambahz said:

I think you guys are missing something here.
Ratings need to be updated as time passes.
MM might have been a "Perfect 10" the day it was released. Maybe it still is but games will (or should) diminish in ratings as other newer games are released.
As per some of my other posts, if you had put an AC/DC or Tron beside an MM way back when, I think it would have blown MM away with the LEDs, sounds, etc. Nothing against MM, but generally speaking, the older pins don't hold up to the newer ones in reality, yet they are still in the top spots on the charts.
The exception to this of course, is fun factor. Maybe MM IS the most fun game out there. If it is, that's a great reason for it to maintain the top spot.
The only way I see these ratings being more accurate is a combination of current value (average of recent sales -good luck inputting all the data) and if everyone were to update their reviews/ratings on an annual basis.
Of course, with more TAF owners out there than anything else, TAF might be swayed a little but then again, you're never going to get it perfect.
I owned a NIB AC/DC and thought it sucked and that had NOTHING to do with the price tag or how new it was,my sopranos is more fun even without the LEDS,but that is my rating not yours.

That's a very valid point (that no matter what, people's opinions will vary) and it reminds me of something a friend said recently that I agree with wholeheartedly as well:
Pinball technology hasn't changed much recently so the games that were fun initially, are still fun. Sure, AC/DC has a cannon, but MM has a castle... TOTAN has a Genie... TOM has a trunk...
I suppose when you take the older looking games and add LEDs and mods, it really does put them on a level playing field (or very close to it) to compete with most of today's new releases.
If that is accurate, then the ratings really ought to be all about the fun factor.

#49 11 years ago

I didn't say it was a fact. It's my opinion. Most comments on here are, no?

And I'd be open to hearing anyone explain how Indiana Jones is rated higher than Tron and AC/DC.
Especially if you can also explain why IJ isn't worth as much.

Here's a question: with a few exceptions (like BBB, for example), should average selling price replace the overall rating? People are voting with their dollars, no?

#51 11 years ago
Quoted from RTS:

I understand the price should have no bearing on the fun. But it kind of does.

Disagree completely. We aren't trying to determine the best bang for your buck/dollar value, we're simply rating them to see which game is best.
Price should be ignored completely.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 9.95
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 225.00
Cabinet - Other
FlyLand Designs

$ 37.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 130.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinwize.com

$ 54.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Decals
Creative Mods

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 84.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
FlyLand Designs

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 44.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 64.99
$ 24.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 129.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Bristow, VA
$ 16.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider chambahz.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/reality-check-on-rankings?tu=chambahz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.