Topic Stats

• 386 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by dos_reboot
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which of these strong licenses would you be most likely to buy? If none which do you think would be most successful?”

• Kill Bill 13 votes
    57%
  • Lynda Carter Wonder Woman 9 votes
    39%
  • Beyoncé 1 vote
    4%

(23 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
DSC01355 (resized).JPG
DSC01433 (resized).JPG
IMG_0991.gif
A42A714D-D9EC-4AC2-87CF-F682E39F77BE (resized).jpeg
3972E932-F000-4EAD-A97A-C1CD7450434A (resized).jpeg
netflix-tiger-king-views (resized).jpg
8827E9C5-7B50-4180-9414-EAD9E19AE612 (resized).jpeg
ss (resized).png
21E627E9-8AB4-40DE-ADA3-E7FF21E717BF (resized).jpeg
B6FB4B8D-D5CB-47D6-AFD0-D2979BAD6203 (resized).jpeg
AB072B51-4492-4EBB-87A2-CF9E096D4E67 (resized).jpeg
CC4C1245-13E9-445C-90D1-A238EB91EA84 (resized).jpeg
134619 (resized).jpg
e1xg4u4uyve31 (resized).jpg
20200914_184059 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider porkcarrot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

The repair part is where you would lose a lot of your female audience.

I don't think this argument holds any water at all, there are plenty of men in this hobby who don't fix their own machines.

Quoted from dung:

A lot of women are ok with or even into a lot of male centric themes. The same cannot be said about getting men to play Sailor Moon.

And that's the issue right there.

I'm not saying a company should put out a woman centric pin, because they won't, because it won't sell. But it sure wouldn't hurt if men in this hobby started caring a little less about the theme and a little more about if the game is fun to play. It's amazing to me how much men in this hobby cry about themes they don't like on their toys.

#111 3 years ago

Here's the real truth that many people aren't going to like:

The themes aren't what is keeping some women from this hobby and different themes aren't going to bring them in. Some (again SOME) men in this hobby are what is keeping women who may be interested away. This thread is a good example of why some women who might be interested remain uninterested.

(Most likely the same with astronomy, audiophilia, and model rocketry. There is nothing inherently sexist in these hobbies, except some of the men in these hobbies.)

#122 3 years ago
Quoted from dung:

Why do i get the feeling that anyone disagrees with your viewpoint is chauvinist?

Part of what I have loved about this thread is how multiple adults feel the best way to attract a different gender is with children's themes.
Women are obviously simple minded. They need barbie, mlp, sailor moon, ie themes catered toward children.

Games released just last year that are "for children": TMNT, Hot Wheels, comic book Avengers. Just because something is for kids doesn't mean adults don't enjoy them.

#296 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Yes but would they cough up $7000-$10,000 to own one?

Isn't the better question would people who normally buy most new machines buy these? If not, why not?

People buy other themes they may not care about. WOZ, Hobbit, Iron Maiden, TMNT come to mind as themes that don't appeal to most people but have sold well and are generally well regarded.

Why is a step toward "femininity" too far? If Keith Elwin did an amazing shooting game with great rules based on Golden Girls, would everyone refuse to buy it? What if Eric Meunier and JJP did a Beyonce pin that went even above and beyond GNR? Would people really not buy them or play them on location because they have female-centric themes? Does it really matter that much?

#298 3 years ago
Quoted from gdonovan:

Yes it does.
There are a number of amazing games out there, their themes hold zero interest to me so why on earth would I buy it?
For me pin attraction can be broken down to thirds- theme, sound, playfield setup. It needs to fire on all 3 of these areas for me to even give a pin a tryout.

That's so strange to me. I'm not going to miss out on a fun game because the theme doesn't appeal to me. Like right now I have:

STTNG: Never watched a full episode of Star Trek.
Dialed-In: Don't care about cell phones that start natural disasters.
T3: Generally a terrible movie, but I kind of enjoy it for it's terribleness if I'm totally honest.
Taxi: It's a game about picking up Santa and Mikhail Gorbachev. It's so dumb.
Whirlwind: It's a game about hiding in a cellar from a tornado. That's it.

I've even owned an AC/DC and there is no band in the world I hate more than AC/DC. I'll admin, the AC/DC music did take away from the enjoyability of that game, but it didn't ruin it, and again I HATE their music.

I just don't understand getting so hung up on the theme if the game is fun to play. I'm clearly in the minority on this and I really don't understand why. I get that themes you really like definitely adds to a game. But not liking a game game just because of the theme is just so strange to me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

£ 38.00
Machine - For Sale
Milford, CT
£ 38.00
$ 49.99
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

7,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hackensack, NJ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider porkcarrot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/real-talk-female-oriented-themes-in-pinball?tu=porkcarrot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.