Topic Stats

• 386 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by dos_reboot
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which of these strong licenses would you be most likely to buy? If none which do you think would be most successful?”

• Kill Bill 13 votes
    57%
  • Lynda Carter Wonder Woman 9 votes
    39%
  • Beyoncé 1 vote
    4%

(23 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
DSC01355 (resized).JPG
DSC01433 (resized).JPG
IMG_0991.gif
A42A714D-D9EC-4AC2-87CF-F682E39F77BE (resized).jpeg
3972E932-F000-4EAD-A97A-C1CD7450434A (resized).jpeg
netflix-tiger-king-views (resized).jpg
8827E9C5-7B50-4180-9414-EAD9E19AE612 (resized).jpeg
ss (resized).png
21E627E9-8AB4-40DE-ADA3-E7FF21E717BF (resized).jpeg
B6FB4B8D-D5CB-47D6-AFD0-D2979BAD6203 (resized).jpeg
AB072B51-4492-4EBB-87A2-CF9E096D4E67 (resized).jpeg
CC4C1245-13E9-445C-90D1-A238EB91EA84 (resized).jpeg
134619 (resized).jpg
e1xg4u4uyve31 (resized).jpg
20200914_184059 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dashv.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#225 3 years ago

This thread provides some fascinating (and sometimes sad) pinsider insights.

WoZ is a nice non sexualized pin based on a female lead. And it’s been crazy well received. Good theme. Good table.

So family friendly and wide appeal can certainly be done.

As a business it makes the most economical sense to have as wide a consumer base as possible. Unless you’re cool with being a niche product with a low sale volume ceiling.

It can’t be half assed or contrived though. The whole package has to work. The table has to be solid.

It’s funny to see that some people that have argued in other threads that theme doesn’t matter now think Stern taking female tastes or ips into account would somehow tank the entire company. The new Stern TMNT pin proves that a Turtles game can sell just fine without showing April’s cleavage on the back glass. Turns out we just needed it to be good.

I wouldn’t mind at all seeing themes like:
Wonder Woman (With Gal)
WandaVision
Tomb Raider (based on the reboot)

Just make em fast and flowing!

My wife says these are some themes that would be shut up and take her money:
Marvel Women of Power (zen did a virtual table)
Princess Bride
Labyrinth
Phantom of the Opera (a new one)
Beauty and the Beast (Disney)

Y’all telling me a Wonder Woman, Princess Bride or WandaVision pin doesn’t have the potential to be amaze balls?

I don’t think it’s bashing to think outside the box from time to time and re-invent the space. Non (or low) presence of females playing and working on the tables doesn’t mean they don’t like pinball. It just means we haven’t shipped tables with enough appeal to draw them in.

Once upon a time (and for a scary dry spell) dudes weren’t into pinball either.

Jersey Jack and Stern saw that and that’s why the themes we see now have quite a bit more focus on family and HOU appeal.

#279 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Yeah and if a company made one of these, all of the women would come running to join the pinball community!! Shows would be filled with new women, you'd see women start winning major tournaments, most of pinside would be women! That's what they've been waiting on all these years is just a good "girl theme" pinball machine!!

I didn’t make any of those claims.

Whether that happens or not, what is the problem exactly?

By what you are saying the Wonder Woman movie didn’t need to be made because we have plenty of superhero movies that women enjoy.

But, I never saw so many women line up for a superhero flick as I did for WW.

There was some overlap but there was no mistaking it was a very different line than the one for Batman Vs Superman.

And I thought it was a great movie. So I lost nothing in the attempt.

Video Gaming has been opening up for the past decade and now females in games ARE literally everywhere. In a hobby that when I was a kid was targeted near exclusively at young and teenage boys until Sega, and Sony (then later Nintendo with Wii) changed the target.

So while I never claimed what you are claiming, it’s also not as impossible or hyperbolic as you are making it sound.

We’ve already seen it happen in one industry.

#283 3 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Did they make a profit on the Wonder Woman movie? Not the same thing.

Wonder Woman outperformed Batman VS Superman Domestically both on video and in the box office.

WW made around $250m in profit when all is said and done.

My point was, OPs question has been asked in other industries. Comics, film, video games. Those industries thought about it. Most made small adjustments some made huge adjustments.

Some succeeded. Some fell flat.

But in the last decade each industry has witnessed significant lift in sales and reach as a result of their collective efforts, even if each individual company/product did not.

No one here has suggested making crap pins. Those should fail regardless of theme.

21E627E9-8AB4-40DE-ADA3-E7FF21E717BF (resized).jpeg21E627E9-8AB4-40DE-ADA3-E7FF21E717BF (resized).jpegB6FB4B8D-D5CB-47D6-AFD0-D2979BAD6203 (resized).jpegB6FB4B8D-D5CB-47D6-AFD0-D2979BAD6203 (resized).jpeg
#318 3 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

That's so strange to me. I'm not going to miss out on a fun game because the theme doesn't appeal to me. Like right now I have:
STTNG: Never watched a full episode of Star Trek.
Dialed-In: Don't care about cell phones that start natural disasters.
T3: Generally a terrible movie, but I kind of enjoy it for it's terribleness if I'm totally honest.
Taxi: It's a game about picking up Santa and Mikhail Gorbachev. It's so dumb.
Whirlwind: It's a game about hiding in a cellar from a tornado. That's it.
I've even owned an AC/DC and there is no band in the world I hate more than AC/DC. I'll admin, the AC/DC music did take away from the enjoyability of that game, but it didn't ruin it, and again I HATE their music.
I just don't understand getting so hung up on the theme if the game is fun to play. I'm clearly in the minority on this and I really don't understand why. I get that themes you really like definitely adds to a game. But not liking a game game just because of the theme is just so strange to me.

Well said.

Swords of Fury really gelled with me from the first time I played it and it caught me completely off guard because pins without DMDs generally don’t hold my attention.

And I hafta say, a Carmen Sandiego or Metroid Pin would be shaddap and take my money in this house.

#322 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballcorpse:

However, in the spirit of the thread, SOF just could not be a "female theme", though. I mean LIONWOMAN just doesn't sound right

Quoted from MegaFeenix:

Right! I’m still picking up the pieces of my blown mind from the Carmen Sandiego suggestion. How did I never think of that? It would be so fun.

I asked my wife what she would think about one and she asked who was making it, when does it come out, and if they got Rockappella to do the sound track.

1 week later
#353 2 years ago
Quoted from VeggiePin:

I would be first in line for a Princess Bride machine. I can't believe it has not been done and would love to see JJP pull it off! That movie is an all time classic and the possibilities for that game would be inconceivable!
I think men and women would love it.

Best the Giant.
Defeat the Spaniard.
Win the battle of wits
Survive the fireswamp!
And finally storm the castle!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Rockland, ON
$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Warner Robins, GA
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 249.00
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Smithfield, RI
$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 49.00
Playfields
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 179.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

€ 150.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
TheDudeMods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

£ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dashv.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/real-talk-female-oriented-themes-in-pinball?tu=dashv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.