Topic Stats

• 386 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by dos_reboot
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which of these strong licenses would you be most likely to buy? If none which do you think would be most successful?”

• Kill Bill 13 votes
    57%
  • Lynda Carter Wonder Woman 9 votes
    39%
  • Beyoncé 1 vote
    4%

(23 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
DSC01355 (resized).JPG
DSC01433 (resized).JPG
IMG_0991.gif
A42A714D-D9EC-4AC2-87CF-F682E39F77BE (resized).jpeg
3972E932-F000-4EAD-A97A-C1CD7450434A (resized).jpeg
netflix-tiger-king-views (resized).jpg
8827E9C5-7B50-4180-9414-EAD9E19AE612 (resized).jpeg
ss (resized).png
21E627E9-8AB4-40DE-ADA3-E7FF21E717BF (resized).jpeg
B6FB4B8D-D5CB-47D6-AFD0-D2979BAD6203 (resized).jpeg
AB072B51-4492-4EBB-87A2-CF9E096D4E67 (resized).jpeg
CC4C1245-13E9-445C-90D1-A238EB91EA84 (resized).jpeg
134619 (resized).jpg
e1xg4u4uyve31 (resized).jpg
20200914_184059 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#344 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

Thing is, the most vocal people on forums and/or purists often have little to do with market realities. To use a cargument, let's look at the Porsche Cayenne. Anyone remember how purists reacted when Porsche announced that vehicle many years ago? There was a meltdown on forums and purists thought it was the end of Porsche. How dare they not stick to pure sports cars, after all that's the only thing Porsche buyers want right? Fast forward a bit and not only did it become their best selling vehicle (I believe now surpassed by the Macan) but it also dramatically attracted females to the Porsche brand. Sometimes you really need to ignore the purists and instead look for markets that are not being targeted.

This really wasn't much of leap at the time the purist where dwindling and all the data and research said go SUV. The choice was really accept a niche demographic or build an SUV and go mainstream with massive potential. It really does not apply here at all. Porsche did not in any way try and sell their product to a different demographic they made a different product. Pinball 100% should expand their product to be more inclusive but targeting a tiny demographic inside a niche market is not a good idea.

#346 2 years ago
Quoted from Reality_Studio:

It does apply because they didn't just build an SUV, they specifically targeted the female audience. Here's one quote I swiped from a very recent article:
"Additionally, Porsche uses tennis star Maria Sharapova as a spokesperson to engage a younger female audience. The results in the last two years indicate a growth from 8% to 15% in female purchasing the Cayenne CUV and Panamera four-door sports sedan primarily."
There's lots more articles and examples people can google, I just included that one quick quote for post brevity. Unlike others I do not think the female audience is niche at all, they just need to be targeted like anything else. Correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I can tell there currently are no pinball ad campaigns targeted at the ladies, nor are there any ladies involved in the design and development of pinball machines. You need the full package to sell to a new audience. Currently you have an audience of older dudes that grew up on these games and now have both enough money and nostalgia to justify buying one. That's basically a built in audience and sure that's great and all, but that to me represents a niche audience with capped potential. It's time to expand that to future generations and that means taking a new approach.

The difference is women were buying SUVs in droves at the time. So Porsche said lets build one. They did not just say the 911 is only going to come in pink to target women. They built and entirely new product. If women were buying pachinko machines in droves and Stern said lets build a pachinko machine with a theme for women that would be a similar argument. Trying to to just theme a pin to the tiny amount of women buying pins would not make sense. They need to expand existing themes to have more content to attract them but when you only making a couple of pins a year you can't make one of them target a tiny market. They would be giving up way to much of their core.

They need to start with something cost effective, it might make sense to add an additional art package to an existing theme. An entire pin would be a disaster.

Maybe I wasn't clear Porsche 100% targeted the new product to a new demographic. All existing product targeted the existing demographic.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Apron Envy

£ 38.00
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
£ 38.00
$ 49.99
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 85.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 119.99
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Advance, NC
$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 43.95
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Nerd Decals

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Woodstock, GA
$ 25.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Darscot.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/real-talk-female-oriented-themes-in-pinball?tu=Darscot and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.