Topic Stats

• 386 posts
  • 107 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by dos_reboot
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Which of these strong licenses would you be most likely to buy? If none which do you think would be most successful?”

• Kill Bill 13 votes
    57%
  • Lynda Carter Wonder Woman 9 votes
    39%
  • Beyoncé 1 vote
    4%

(23 votes)

This poll has been closed.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
DSC01355 (resized).JPG
DSC01433 (resized).JPG
IMG_0991.gif
A42A714D-D9EC-4AC2-87CF-F682E39F77BE (resized).jpeg
3972E932-F000-4EAD-A97A-C1CD7450434A (resized).jpeg
netflix-tiger-king-views (resized).jpg
8827E9C5-7B50-4180-9414-EAD9E19AE612 (resized).jpeg
ss (resized).png
21E627E9-8AB4-40DE-ADA3-E7FF21E717BF (resized).jpeg
B6FB4B8D-D5CB-47D6-AFD0-D2979BAD6203 (resized).jpeg
AB072B51-4492-4EBB-87A2-CF9E096D4E67 (resized).jpeg
CC4C1245-13E9-445C-90D1-A238EB91EA84 (resized).jpeg
134619 (resized).jpg
e1xg4u4uyve31 (resized).jpg
20200914_184059 (resized).jpg
There are 386 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.
#151 2 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

It’s some sort of twisted, “white man’s burden” shit going on.

phetO (resized).jpgphetO (resized).jpg
#152 2 years ago

Can we all just shut up and play pinball.

#153 2 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

This is what a lot of people seemingly don't get...Well stated Vid.
Just because certain things aren't interesting to women or men, DOES NOT MEAN they are exclusionary to women or men.

I do not think things are so exclusionary. In fact there are a lot of titles that appeal across the gender divide. I personally wouldn’t mind a little pandering to a female audience. It’s just can we think of an I.P. strong enough? Can we get Sigourney on Alien?!

#154 2 years ago

Here we go again, old white men bitching about what they *THINK* WOMEN WANT.
The irony is palatable.
The same argument came up on Facebook, and out of all the white-knighting men and impotent rage, the actual WOMEN who play pinball and/or arcade machines said they enjoy the same games and themes.
This is a nothing-burger argument created by men who feel guilty or have some sort of need to speak on behalf of people they assume “need it”.
It’s some sort of twisted, “white man’s burden” shit going on.
Maybe let the people in question SPEAK FOR THEMSELVES?

Couldn't agree more. So ridiculous to think you can just put a woman's face on the backglass and a few pink bows and all the ladies will come running. That kind of thing is just insulting.

#155 2 years ago
Quoted from LordHumungus:

In the 70's, try it today and see what happens. Who's buying a Dolly Parton for their home collection? Well besides u maybe.

Can you ever have a conversation without tossing in an insult?

I'd have no interest in Dolly Parton, that's irrelevant. Who buys pins? People who have a strong nostalgia or love for a pinball's theme. Dolly's fans are extremely passionate.

#156 2 years ago

To say that pinball has always been geared toward men and that there aren't games geared toward women is almost too ignorant to be believed. Much like the way history is taught today in schools (not at all or revisionist history), most people know nothing about the history of pinball. The history of pinball is loaded with games with not only female characters (which literally had females on about 3/4 of the games even if many were designed for men) but female themes as well. The game simply does not appeal to many women. Period. Just look at a few of the themes in just my personal collection and tell me they are not designed for women...

How about C.O.D.... is department store shopping female enough for you?

How about Crossword puzzles? No female ever tries them either, right?

How about Jigsaw puzzles? No females do those either I suppose?

How about Alice in Wonderland? There have been several of those along with many other fairytales...

Don't bother wasting your time telling me that they should try it now and that was a long time ago. Trying female themes went of for decades after the machines I've showed you here were made.

How about a nice pretty peacock from the 40's, real masculine theme... wouldn't you say...?

You can find literally hundreds of games geared toward women in the history of pinball. It's been tried over and over again. It hasn't worked. I suggest doing a little research before coming on here screaming for diversity. You might actually learn something.

1216-2 (resized).jpg1216-2 (resized).jpg5I65X45J43Ga3Ic3F7c91b1fd8d2f1f0710dd (resized).jpg5I65X45J43Ga3Ic3F7c91b1fd8d2f1f0710dd (resized).jpgWonderland 1 (resized).jpgWonderland 1 (resized).jpgimage-1 (resized).jpgimage-1 (resized).jpgimage-5 (resized).jpgimage-5 (resized).jpg
#157 2 years ago
Quoted from LordHumungus:

Do really believe a Dolly Parton pin would do well?

Of course, or I wouldn't have said it.

Everybody loves Dolly. She’s an icon with broad generational and demographic appeal just like the “old man band” themes that always sell.

Also...BOOBS. Boobs sell right?

And I'll take all the cheap, unwanted 70s Dolly pins you can find for me. Always been an easy seller for me, and I like making a profit when I sell pinball machines.

It's a money grab!

#158 2 years ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

I do not think things are so exclusionary. In fact there are a lot of titles that appeal across the gender divide. I personally wouldn’t mind a little pandering to a female audience. It’s just can we think of an I.P. strong enough? Can we get Sigourney on Alien?!

"Boogie Nights" or "Dirk Diggler"

#159 2 years ago
Quoted from jcg9998:

To say that pinball has always been geared toward men and that there aren't games geared toward women is almost too ignorant to be believed. Much like the way history is taught today in schools (not at all or revisionist history), most people know nothing about the history of pinball. The history of pinball is loaded with games with not only female characters (which literally had females on about 3/4 of the games even if many were designed for men) but female themes as well. The game simply does not appeal to many women. Period. Just look at a few of the themes in just my personal collection and tell me they are not designed for women...
How about Alice in Wonderland? There have been several of those along with many other fairytales...
Don't bother wasting your time telling me that they should try it now and that was a long time ago. Trying female themes went of for decades after the machines I've showed you here were made.
How about a nice pretty peacock from the 40's, real masculine theme... wouldn't you say...?
You can find literally hundreds of games geared toward women in the history of pinball. It's been tried over and over again. It hasn't worked. I suggest doing a little research before coming on here screaming for diversity. You might actually learn something.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Those games look pretty sweet. I would like something like that now.

#160 2 years ago

Men Are from Mars, Women Are from Venus

#161 2 years ago
Quoted from jcg9998:

You can find literally hundreds of games geared toward women in the history of pinball. It's been tried over and over again. It hasn't worked. I suggest doing a little research before coming on here screaming for diversity. You might actually learn something.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Sure they used to make some pinball art that was more targeted towards women. They also made more racist art and someone like Dave Christensen was sneaking in nazi references into his art. Pinball art has definitely changed in many ways

But the point is there are very few games like those now. They're generally not on location to play, not easily available for purchase, and are frankly irrelevant to modern audiences.

I love pinball history...but pointing to ancient games does not do a lot for the conversation about what is going on now.

#162 2 years ago
Quoted from Grandnational007:

Hey! I'm probably younger than most people in the general pinball demographic! (I'm in the <40 crowd myself)

This was my EXACT finding as well, as quoted in your response where you quoted me. Women pinheads ACTUALLY LIKE the same themes as male pinheads.

When I'm not in my mom's basement, and actually out amongst the public at venues and shows, I've had pinball-centric conversations with MANY women pinheads, and as I said above, they almost UNANIMOUSLY enjoy the same campy, fantasy, machismo-filled themes just as much as the men.
Some people, including myself, even enjoy Red and Ted's, despite the fact that the main character is a *gasp* woman crew leader, who has to give guidance to her foolish male subordinate.
This response should be taken mostly tongue-in cheek. Mostly.

I quoted you because your response was filled with most of the same things that were being ignored. I agree with you! And I’ve had similar experiences with women that play in the league with me.

The biggest thing I found that have pushed women out of the league was this SUPER creepy bastard we all kept trying to kick out. Unfortunately since we don’t own the bar we couldn’t kick him out. His advances and creepy behavior scared away several of the ladies that played in our group. He would do weird stuff like bring this massive DLSR camera and take pictures of only the women playing.
Only the Lord knows what he did with those pictures

It took a lot of complaints and outreach to finally get the bar owner to ban the guy, but by then it’s still too late. The confidence in the scene was eroded. We were building back but covid derailed it pretty good.

#163 2 years ago

He would do weird stuff like bring this massive DLSR camera and take pictures of only the women

That's when you tell the bar owner either the camera goes or he loses a league's worth of players.

You could likely get the dude booted completely with that threat. Bar owners tend to not like creeps running off the patrons. Surprised it took some actual effort to get it done.

#164 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Only hitch is who the hell knows if this movie ever gets made...

The only hitch is that new movies aren't made into new pinball machines.

#165 2 years ago

My wife suggests

Futurama with Leela featured artwork and code

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Barbie parody, the meme of Ken's head in the refrigerator etc.

Coffee and wine

She just threw that in because her friends discuss those two a lot.

#166 2 years ago

How about "Coffee and Cigarettes"? The movie's almost 20 years old so it must be getting close to pinball-theme eligibility, and it's got Bill Murray and Wu-Tang. What's not to love?

Coffee_Cigarettes (resized).jpgCoffee_Cigarettes (resized).jpg
#167 2 years ago

heres another 'table' thats not just for men anymore.

sofia lovgren (resized).jpgsofia lovgren (resized).jpg
#168 2 years ago

Seems reasonable to consider targeting the female audience for two reasons. First is they are more often becoming the main breadwinners in the family and are filling higher education levels more often as well, hence implying they will have more disposable income at some point than the typical dude. Second, given how often pinball sales here seem to be canceled due to the "My wife didn't let me" reason I figure if you have machines that target the ladies then who knows, maybe it could lead to more sales.

Realistically though I feel this would need more ladies involved in the design/creation of the machines for this to be successful, just as it did with video games for example. So in the short term it may make more sense to find themes that can target both audiences at once. Personally I'd think an Aggretsuko pin would be rad as it's viewer demographics show it basically gets everyone, guy, girl, young and old. It shouldn't be a stupidly expensive license either like movie ip's can be.

#169 2 years ago

Tampon, the Pin!

#170 2 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Tampon, the Pin!

Pffft, everyone knows the pinball demographic would only buy Testicular Cancer: The Pin!

#171 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Pffft, everyone knows the pinball demographic would only buy Testicular Cancer: The Pin!

More like Ball Sweat: the Pin!

#172 2 years ago

Poor Rarehero...all these years later and still butthurt by everything. Nothing changes on Pinside.

#173 2 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

Poor Rarehero...all these years later and still butthurt by everything. Nothing changes on Pinside.

What am I butthurt about? Calling someone out on a shitty joke doesn't involve my anus in any way. I didn't play Prostate Exam: The Pin yet...locations are still closed.

Also...hmmm...someone who was banned with a new handle?

#174 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

What am I butthurt about? Calling someone out on a shitty joke doesn't involve my anus in any way. I didn't play Prostate Exam: The Pin yet...locations are still closed.
Also...hmmm...someone who was banned with a new handle?

About everything, usually.

Also....hmmmm....Nope.

Keep downvoting me...you're making my point for me.

#175 2 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

About everything, usually.
Also....hmmmm....Nope.

Well, welcome back and enjoy being obsessed with my anus pain, I guess!

Quoted from Napoleon:

Keep downvoting me...you're making my point for me.

Keep projecting YOUR "butthurt". You can turn off the up/downvotes in your settings if it makes you cry.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#176 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Well, welcome back and enjoy being obsessed with my anus pain, I guess!

It's the least I could do, since you like it so much!

#177 2 years ago
Quoted from Napoleon:

It's the least I could do, since you like it so much!

Why thank you, mystery stalker of my bootyhole!

#178 2 years ago

REAL TALK with REAL THREAD EJECTS lol. Seriously I can see a Wonder Woman pin here in the near future, would be stupid for one of the major pin manufacturers not to do one.

#179 2 years ago

My wife said a long time ago at the PHOF that she wanted the AC/DC pin, recently she found out about Wonka and likes that too. My daughters never cared for pinball, they have no interest in it whatsoever. My wife just wants me to keep the games running for her, but she impressed herself by actually using pinball tech buzzwords like "solenoid". Sure this not representative of all females in regards to the hobby, but I'm sure many others experiences are similar.

#180 2 years ago
Quoted from MegaFeenix:

I am a mid 30s female and I also have 3 female daughters and we don't really need super girly things to enjoy a game. I am all in on the new Alien! Already preordered. My girls think it's too scary, but they love Jurassic park, NBA fastbreak, and party zone. We are all looking forward to playing hot wheels soon. I think manufacturers are becoming more cognizant of artwork and themes that appeal across a range of age groups and genders, and I'm here for it. Though I would say there is a general demographic of pinside users I think the same is not necessarily true of pinball players or buyers anymore. Money talks so give us themes we want to buy.

#181 2 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Can you ever have a conversation without tossing in an insult?

I'd have no interest in Dolly Parton, that's irrelevant. Who buys pins? People who have a strong nostalgia or love for a pinball's theme. Dolly's fans are extremely passionate.

Yeah when it doesn't warrant an insult. U made a smart alec response, somewhat insulting in itself, eluding I didn't know about the Dolly pin from the 70's and its success even though the post I was responding to said "Updated" Dolly. There's almost zero market for a Dolly pin today. So what's the insult, that u might one? Strange u defend it and yet are offended that I state u might want one. Did that go the way u thought? Nope.

#182 2 years ago

Make the Wonder Woman pinball, and every woman in the world will be lined up to pay $9K for one !!!!!!1

54% of the worlds population is female, so it's a no brainer!!!!!!!1

Single Female: Do I want new countertops or a pinball machine with a 1/2 naked woman on it....?

173-pinball-expo-2019-576x1024 (resized).jpg173-pinball-expo-2019-576x1024 (resized).jpg2d0f4bbc7149065acb9b119d17kkkkdaf063 (resized).jpg2d0f4bbc7149065acb9b119d17kkkkdaf063 (resized).jpgEccKRlfVcAA2RpZ (resized).jpgEccKRlfVcAA2RpZ (resized).jpg
#183 2 years ago

OK, you joined about a month ago..... working on your psychology paper, trolling, or just bored beyond belief?

#184 2 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:Everybody loves Dolly. She’s an icon with broad generational and demographic appeal just like the “old man band” themes that always sell.

What?

Zeppelin. Maiden. Metallica. Aerosmith. AC/DC Mmmmmm I missing something in my music pin line up. Oh wait I know what I need. "Dolly"

Come on man.

#185 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

heres another 'table' thats not just for men anymore.

Women have been playing poker for a long time kind sir.

#186 2 years ago
Quoted from Mzis:

I am a mid 30s female and I also have 3 female daughters and we don't really need super girly things to enjoy a game. I am all in on the new Alien! Already preordered. My girls think it's too scary, but they love Jurassic park, NBA fastbreak, and party zone. We are all looking forward to playing hot wheels soon. I think manufacturers are becoming more cognizant of artwork and themes that appeal across a range of age groups and genders, and I'm here for it. Though I would say there is a general demographic of pinside users I think the same is not necessarily true of pinball players or buyers anymore. Money talks so give us themes we want to buy.

Welcome to Pinside!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

When did you buy your first game?

How did you become interested in pinball in the first place?

Do you do your own maintenance, or do you have a tech who visits monthly to keep everything tops?

5 games is a pretty great collection; how did you choose the titles you did?

Any pics of your gameroom??? Guys have the messiest game rooms in the world.

When you get or sell games, do you have a pinball dolly to move them?

Would you be interested in being interviewed on my Pinball Podcast?

Again, welcome!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

#187 2 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

heres another 'table' thats not just for men anymore.[quoted image]

Ugggg... you know women have been playing professional poker for 5 decades........?

#188 2 years ago

Baywatch’s got The Hoff front n center for the ladies.

#189 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Do you do your own maintenance, or do you have a tech who visits monthly to keep everything tops?

Ha thanks! The first game I purchased was actually the Gaucho that I grew up playing at my grandparent's house as a child. I spent some $ having it restored. I do simple maintenance and I know an excellent tech who can help with more difficult repairs. The reason I have a decent collection is because my husband also enjoys pinball so we buy games that we are both interested in. My husband always attempts to make repairs before I pay someone to do it lol. That being said, I recently installed a color DMD on our Metallica without breaking anything. Our game rooms are kind of messy with mostly classic video arcades since that is what my husband really enjoys the most. We both use a dolly and teamwork to move machines. I was on backbox pinball podcast once. What's yours?

#190 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

Thanks! What's your podcast? I enjoy listening from time to time. The first game I purchased was actually the Gaucho that I grew up playing at my grandparent's house as a child. I spent some $ having it restored. I do simple maintenance and I know an excellent tech who can help with more difficult repairs. The reason I have a decent collection is because my husband also enjoys pinball so we buy games that we are both interested in. My husband always attempts to make repairs before I pay someone to do it lol. That being said, I recently installed a color DMD on our Metallica without breaking anything. Our game rooms are kind of messy with mostly classic video arcades since that is what my husband really enjoys the most. We both use a dolly and teamwork to move machines.

#191 2 years ago

More choices is not a bad thing. Look at Stern they have so many choices, pick the one you like. It is OK if one of them doesn’t interest you.

Someone on this thread mentioned route owners. When I go to the 403 club in KC, my wife and daughter usually accompany me; they play briefly before taking a seat. I see other couples in the same situation. If there was a pin they were interested in they would drop money in to play. I would imagine that the other significant others would do the same. Most of the conversation has been about ownership and not about options at location play.

#192 2 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:Here's the real truth that many people aren't going to like:
The themes aren't what is keeping some women from this hobby and different themes aren't going to bring them in. Some (again SOME) men in this hobby are what is keeping women who may be interested away. This thread is a good example of why some women who might be interested remain uninterested.
(Most likely the same with astronomy, audiophilia, and model rocketry. There is nothing inherently sexist in these hobbies, except some of the men in these hobbies.)

Are you talking about dudes with B.O.?

#193 2 years ago
Quoted from manadams:

REAL TALK with REAL THREAD EJECTS lol. Seriously I can see a Wonder Woman pin here in the near future, would be stupid for one of the major pin manufacturers not to do one.

Wonder woman would be good , but if we are going for real talk and thinking DC comics, well, I'd rather have an aquaman.

#194 2 years ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

. I'm a 6'4" ex Marine and feel like I can handle myself, but I know my wife wouldn't feel comfortable doing this because she has told me she worries about me when I do it. It doesn't matter whose house it is, what we are doing is dangerous. It is more dangerous for my wife who is literally half my size.

Wait, your wife is 3'2"??

#195 2 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

She's one in 10 million, you'll never find another like her when you inevitably mess things up.
Somewhere there is a woman who has amassed a giant stereo system with racks of amps, cables the size of fire hoses, electrostatic speakers and an air bearing turntable.
Or not.[quoted image]

22 years, I think we're pretty good.

#196 2 years ago

I actually think Golden Girls could be a blast. It’s definitely an old show but it has a huuuge ongoing fan base. GG branded stuff is all over places like Etsy. It’d have plenty of great material for funny sound/video clips, a la family guy. And it would be nice to see them try a fresh color palette, capturing that sort of 80’s Miami vibe.

I realize most of these reasons don’t interest the usual pinball audience, but I think that was the point of this discussion. A GG game could definitely attract some new interest.

#197 2 years ago
Quoted from BradLinden:

A GG game could definitely attract some new interest.

And how many would sell at $7500?

Interest yet, profitable amount of buyers no.

#198 2 years ago
Quoted from BradLinden:

I actually think Golden Girls could be a blast.

Good bye.

#199 2 years ago

The trolls have pretty much taken over the thread, so I'm going to post this last one and leave it be.

I had a quick conversation with my wife about this thread. It was argued that men are having this conversation FOR women and it was a point.

Me: So there's this angry conversation on Pinside...
Her: What's wrong with my GnR?!
Me: Nothing! They are discussing which themes women would like to see. What would your top nostalgic childhood theme be?
Her: My Little Pony, of course.
Me: Why do you think the conversation angered so many people?
Her: Because we want cute things and 'cute' angers old men.

Yes, the conversation was that short because it was on the way out the door for work this morning.

#200 2 years ago
Quoted from BradLinden:

A GG game could definitely attract some new interest.

They could pair it next to their Wheel of Fortune machine...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Towson, MD
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 33.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Paradise Distribution

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Cento Creations

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Lighting - Led
PinballToys

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

1,450 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fredericksburg, VA
$ 20.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

£ 79.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 386 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/real-talk-female-oriented-themes-in-pinball/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.