7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by bub2010
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Just thought I'd share, there's a bunch of pinball news this week already.

Real pinball sales boosted by sims
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-28-real-pinball-sales-boosted-by-virtual-sims

"There's been a huge boom in pinball smartphone and console games over the last few years," Heighway said. "Many of the kids that play them have probably never seen a real pinball machine. A whole generation has missed out, but thanks to these video games, there are plenty of kids that have been primed for the real thing."

#2 7 years ago

I think it's great...and about time.

Chris

#3 7 years ago

I got into pinball before video pinball became main stream. However, it has helped cement my interest.

#4 7 years ago

This past year, I have noticed the pinball machines you can play on your phone or what ever, has brought people in seeking out the real thing.

Unfortunately it seems at least for my location, a one time deal. Not repeat business.

Still I hope it helps the whole.

LTG : )

#5 7 years ago

Every friend's kid that comes over to play has no idea what pinball is, and then when they play they are memorized like they are playing some artifact (which to them it probably is). I can't even imagine what it must be like for a kid growing up today to play a virtual one and never having played the real thing.

I don't think pinball will ever die, it would take 3 generations to forget about it, and even then someone might decide to bring it back.

I do find it interesting that whatever titles that pinball arcade seems to recreate end up pushing the price of the real ones up because those same kids want to play the real version of the virtual ones they've been playing, not some other title.

#6 7 years ago

I owe my hobby to virtual pinball. I always liked pinball growing up, but wasn't quite a pinhead or even all that good at it. Honestly it was too expensive to play all the time.
    I tried some pinball on the original playstation, but the technology wasn't quite there yet.

But as soon as the PC got up to snuff, the Pro Pinball guys wasted no time making jaw dropping recreations.
    That started to get me hooked. Then finding Visual Pinmame sucked me further in. Then the next logical thing was to get my own pin, which immediately turned into 2 which turned into 3 then 4. I'm still into virtual pinball, especially when my real pins are up to snuff I always go back to it.

#7 7 years ago

I'm here because of Pinball Arcade. it was the first pinball I had played since a teenager. Now I have 3 machines.

#8 7 years ago

I owe a good bit of my obsession to Pinball Arcade for the iPad. I had already found interest in pinball from a local pin setup at a Chuck-e-Cheese... Then I ended up searching the app store and found Pinball Arcade, bought the CFTBL digital pin, and from there I started to realize how many awesome rules and goals there actually were to tables.

So, I feel like many people would be surprised by the title of this forum post, but in all reality, it's very very true.

#9 7 years ago

The Williams Collection is a well known gateway drug

#10 7 years ago

I realize that it an even smaller percentage, ant the article doesn't mention it, but I know people that have gotten into pinball after building Hyperpins or using VP/FP on their computers.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from DCFAN:

The Williams Collection is a well known gateway drug

That is what did it for me.

#12 7 years ago

I kept playing pins on location when and where I could find them. I went on the internet and found Pinside and decided it was time to have my own. Then I learned of the iPad apps. They really did not play a role for me.

#13 7 years ago

Yeah this isn't necessarily good news. To me, what it means is that less & less people are playing or growing up with pins on location. & so, virtual pins end up being the only way they can get hooked to pinball.
    Not ideal, but if pinball is getting more popular, its hard to complain too much.

#14 7 years ago

I had a Bally Lost World within the last year....1st pin ever. Then I built a virtual pin. Then I sold LW, and bought Avatar. I really like the virtual pin because It gives the opportunity to sort of virtually play test games that ARE affordable as well as play rare and ludicrous priced machines that 80% of us will never own. I'm 38 and I got both of my nephews interested....one is 10 and one is 15. The 15 year old is already planning on saving up for one.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 30.00
    $ 36.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 208.87
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 34.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 5,899.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 269.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    $ 24.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 35.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    3D MODS
    $ 4.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    Cabinet - Other
    Filament Printing
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 159.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    Great American Pinball
    $ 24.50
    Playfield - Protection
    ULEKstore
    $ 41.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside