Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 18 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by mcluvin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Real or Fake?”

• Real 4 votes
      14%
    • Fake 20 votes
      71%
    • What's a spark plug? 4 votes
      14%

(28 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200826_182945 (resized).jpg
    20200826_183106 (resized).jpg

#1 3 years ago

This is supposed to be an NGK Iridium Spark Plug. I think it's a fake. What do you think? The"weld" doesn't look welded. It looks more like it has been polished. Anyway, don't buy spark plugs off ebay.

20200826_182945 (resized).jpg20200826_182945 (resized).jpg

This is a real Denso Iridium for comparison.

20200826_183106 (resized).jpg20200826_183106 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

looks fake to me , just find it odd that faking spark plugs is profitable

#3 3 years ago

I like them REAL but that's just me.

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

looks fake to me , just find it odd that faking spark plugs is profitable

It's apparently quite an industry. My 2016 CR-V plugs are $21 each for NGK. The ebay seller has so many positive reviews and has been selling NGK plugs for a long time. I'm amazed they haven't been shut down.

#5 3 years ago

Fakes abound in consumer products. Recently was in the market for Bose noise canceling headphones, and got steered away from ebay since Bose products are frequently faked. Ordered from Crutchfield with a 6mo no questions asked return policy which worked out well since I found I didn't care for the first model I purchased.

#6 3 years ago

Another big one is O2 sensors.
    Those $200 Denso sensors you buy for your Toyota on ebay for 40 bucks are just that, fake.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from Neal_W:

Fakes abound in consumer products. Recently was in the market for Bose noise canceling headphones, and got steered away from ebay since Bose products are frequently faked. Ordered from Crutchfield with a 6mo no questions asked return policy which worked out well since I found I didn't care for the first model I purchased.

Bose is trash. If you are still in the market for headphones here is a screaming deal on a nice set. https://www.worldwidestereo.com/products/sennheiser-momentum-wireless-bluetooth-over-ear-headphones-with-active-noise-cancellation?sku=163063&cjevent=76fabb34e7f411ea8173004b0a24060b&utm_source=CJ&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=100134077&utm_content=13359547

#8 3 years ago

Try Rock Auto. Been using them for years and as long as you don't need it today they have the best prices. I just did plugs a couple weeks ago and the same plug was half of what any of my local places charge.

#9 3 years ago

No tit pics?!!

#10 3 years ago

Yea, click bait.

How's the rotor, bakelite cracked?
    Points clean?

#11 3 years ago

I guess I may be biased from being a honda tech for 14 years. Just buy stuff from the dealer, especially things that could fail and fall into the combustion chamber.

#12 3 years ago

Well, technically kinda looks like there is one in the pics

#13 3 years ago
    Quoted from EJS:

Well, technically kinda looks like there is one in the pics

Really man?? Hahahaha

#14 3 years ago

Just changed 16 spark plugs with those NGKs bought off EBay. Car seems to run fine, but I did save a bunch of money.

Some counterfeits are actually pretty good. Hopefully I got the real deal. I also bought 8 Denso coil packs from EBay.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

I guess I may be biased from being a honda tech for 14 years. Just buy stuff from the dealer, especially things that could fail and fall into the combustion chamber.

Yea, dealer only wanted $900 to change my spark plugs and coil packs. No thanks. Did it for $350 or so myself and car runs great. I’ll take my chances.

#16 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Just changed 16 spark plugs with those NGKs bought off EBay. Car seems to run fine, but I did save a bunch of money.
    Some counterfeits are actually pretty good. Hopefully I got the real deal. I also bought 8 Denso coil packs from EBay.

I’d pull one and check it. The fakes use a steel core and no iridium. You don’t want the plug grenading inside the engine.

#18 3 years ago

My gf just had hers done 6 months back. 34DDD.

They’re great man. They don’t feel natural but they looks awesome in outfits and stuff.

#19 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

They’re great man. They don’t feel natural but they looks awesome in outfits and stuff.

Got any pics , just for research purposes

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from Blackbeard:

Pics or it didn't happen.

#21 3 years ago

Geezz , I've got a bouncing envelope - wonder what for

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from mcluvin:

I’d pull one and check it. The fakes use a steel core and no iridium. You don’t want the plug grenading inside the engine.

I need to do that. FWIW it’s been about three months now and I did examine the plugs pretty well gapping them. I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary Compared to the originals. Didn’t like that the dealer wanted $24 a plug.

#23 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

Yea, dealer only wanted $900 to change my spark plugs and coil packs. No thanks. Did it for $350 or so myself and car runs great. I’ll take my chances.

I have no problem with that if you are buying parts from a reputable dealer. Not many people are mechanically inclined like you. Good job

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from BazilBLast:

Geezz , I've got a bouncing envelope - wonder what for

I would like one of those too, you know for research purposes.

I say they’re real if you can touch them.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Toasterdog:

I need to do that. FWIW it’s been about three months now and I did examine the plugs pretty well gapping them. I didn’t notice anything out of the ordinary Compared to the originals. Didn’t like that the dealer wanted $24 a plug.

You really have to stare at it, and a magnifying glass helps. There are pics comparing real vs fake. These looked good, except for the tip. It doesn't look like a weld. It's too smooth

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from orangegsx:

I had to buy a valve cover gasket from a Honda dealer. Coggin wants 100% markup vs retail. Gary Yoeman only gouges me for 25%. I f'n hate Coggin Honda.

#27 3 years ago

Whoever came up with "Earth Dreams" should be fired. Valve covers aren't supposed to have so many curves and wires attached to them in such difficult spots to reach.

#28 3 years ago

If that's the same exact plug number, the ceramic insulator is different and there is no iridium cap on the ground strap.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

If that's the same exact plug number, the ceramic insulator is different and there is no iridium cap on the ground strap.

They are different. The counterfeit is NGK. The genuine is Denso. Both manufacturers are heavily counterfeited. The couterfeit NGK doesn't look like a weld at all. You can tell the Denso is welded. The ebay seller is evasive. I told them I'll let them know what NGK says. I bought them a few months ago.

#30 3 years ago

well this thread turned out to be a bait and switch thread.

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Well, a couple guys got to see some ti*s. Not the OP? Just sayin'...

#32 3 years ago

Guess I don't understand. You change spark plugs on a new car at say 100k miles why make the questionable effort to save $3 on Ebay? Not like you change these every 6 months????

#33 3 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

It's a counterfeit thread. It's not a real one.

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Yelobird:

Guess I don't understand. You change spark plugs on a new car at say 100k miles why make the questionable effort to save $3 on Ebay? Not like you change these every 6 months????

The seller has sold a shi* ton of spark plugs and has great feedback. I did not realize counterfeit plugs were a thing. I don't pay top dollar for anything unless I absolutely have to.

I just did the plugs in my 2016 CR-V. NGKs are $21 each. Densos are $9 and just as good. Why sweat it? That's $48 in my pocket.

1 week later
    #35 3 years ago

I've been waiting for an e-mail response from NGK and never got one, so I just called them. The first digit of the lot code (C) indicates the plug was made in China, but this specific plug (ILZKR7B11S) is only made in Japan. They are fake. NGK asked for the seller's info and I'm going to report them to Ebay as well. This seller has thousands of feedbacks and a 100% rating on ebay. Don't buy plugs on ebay or Amazon for that matter. Fake oil dipstick? I'll take a chance on that. Fake spark plugs? No!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/real-or-fake and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.